/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beach for Muslim Women Planned in Italy

searchingsoul
08-07-2006, 04:46 AM
By ARIEL DAVID
Associated Press Writer

ROME

Hotels at an Italian seaside resort are eager to act on the town's decision to authorize the creation of all-female beach sections for Muslim women, with at least one hotel owner saying Friday that plans are already under way to open the first of such secluded areas next month.

The city council of Riccione, a popular resort on Italy's Adriatic coast about 90 miles east of Florence, has said it is prepared to authorize requests to set up partitions on parts of the shoreline to satisfy requests from the town's growing numbers of Arab and Muslim tourists.

"They can have anything they want, but they can't go to the beach, at least not without all those heavy clothes," Attilio Cenni, owner of the upscale Grand Hotel des Bains, said of his female Muslim guests.

Cenni said he plans to open the first secluded section starting in September on a stretch of shoreline of about 1,000 square meters (10,000 square feet) and to expand further next season across the more isolated beaches on Riccione's outskirts.

He also plans a TV advertising campaigns in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Cenni told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Popular with German and French tourists, Riccione's mass-tourism venues have recently started to attract thousands of Arab and Muslim visitors each year, mostly from the conservative Arabian peninsula, city officials say.

Supporters of the idea say that the separate beaches would allow observant Muslim women to shed their headscarves and long robes and enjoy the sun in privacy; religious restrictions otherwise oblige them to cover up if men are present.

"I can only be in favor of such a proposal," said Tomas Corazza, manager of the Hotel Mediterraneo. "It allows them to use the beach while respecting their traditions and their religion."

Corazza didn't have immediate plans to open a beach for Muslims this season but said he would advertise this new feature in a mailing list he sends to some 3,000 Arabs who are frequent guests at the hotel.

Cenni said he was already discussing with authorities the only snag in the proposal _ the fact that the partitions won't reach into the sea but will have to stop short of the waterline to allow public passage.

While Riccione's municipality would consider authorizing the construction of reserved seaside swimming pools, Cenni said he hopes he will be allowed to close-off the entire beach with covered partitions and have female lifeguards patrol the sea in water scooters to keep men away. In Italy, all shorelines must be accessible to the public.

"That sounds a little bit like a fantasy," said Andrea Cicchetti, a spokesman for Riccione's mayor.

But Cenni insists that if the partitions are mounted on isolated beaches the inconvenience to passers-by and swimmers will be minimal, allowing his guests to swim without having to don headscarves and robes again.

"These are areas where there is little passage and any problem could be solved with common sense and sensitivity," he said. "We want to make a beach where these ladies will be free."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 09:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
By ARIEL DAVID
Associated Press Writer

ROME

Hotels at an Italian seaside resort are eager to act on the town's decision to authorize the creation of all-female beach sections for Muslim women, with at least one hotel owner saying Friday that plans are already under way to open the first of such secluded areas next month.

The city council of Riccione, a popular resort on Italy's Adriatic coast about 90 miles east of Florence, has said it is prepared to authorize requests to set up partitions on parts of the shoreline to satisfy requests from the town's growing numbers of Arab and Muslim tourists.

"They can have anything they want, but they can't go to the beach, at least not without all those heavy clothes," Attilio Cenni, owner of the upscale Grand Hotel des Bains, said of his female Muslim guests.

Cenni said he plans to open the first secluded section starting in September on a stretch of shoreline of about 1,000 square meters (10,000 square feet) and to expand further next season across the more isolated beaches on Riccione's outskirts.

He also plans a TV advertising campaigns in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, Cenni told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

Popular with German and French tourists, Riccione's mass-tourism venues have recently started to attract thousands of Arab and Muslim visitors each year, mostly from the conservative Arabian peninsula, city officials say.

Supporters of the idea say that the separate beaches would allow observant Muslim women to shed their headscarves and long robes and enjoy the sun in privacy; religious restrictions otherwise oblige them to cover up if men are present.

"I can only be in favor of such a proposal," said Tomas Corazza, manager of the Hotel Mediterraneo. "It allows them to use the beach while respecting their traditions and their religion."

Corazza didn't have immediate plans to open a beach for Muslims this season but said he would advertise this new feature in a mailing list he sends to some 3,000 Arabs who are frequent guests at the hotel.

Cenni said he was already discussing with authorities the only snag in the proposal _ the fact that the partitions won't reach into the sea but will have to stop short of the waterline to allow public passage.

While Riccione's municipality would consider authorizing the construction of reserved seaside swimming pools, Cenni said he hopes he will be allowed to close-off the entire beach with covered partitions and have female lifeguards patrol the sea in water scooters to keep men away. In Italy, all shorelines must be accessible to the public.

"That sounds a little bit like a fantasy," said Andrea Cicchetti, a spokesman for Riccione's mayor.

But Cenni insists that if the partitions are mounted on isolated beaches the inconvenience to passers-by and swimmers will be minimal, allowing his guests to swim without having to don headscarves and robes again.

"These are areas where there is little passage and any problem could be solved with common sense and sensitivity," he said. "We want to make a beach where these ladies will be free."
An idea, which never being thought in Muslim nations... I'm amazed...

amirah_87
08-07-2006, 10:20 AM
as salaamu alaykum,

One of my family members said there are womens beaches in the UAE!!...:-\

but somehow i don't trust them (those planning the womens beach day in italy) :heated:

Tania
08-07-2006, 02:26 PM
If they have so many tourists from arab countries i think will worth. They will be more interested to spend the holidays in Italy.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
as salaamu alaykum,

One of my family members said there are womens beaches in the UAE!!...:-\

but somehow i don't trust them (those planning the womens beach day in italy) :heated:
There are such a beach? Wow... Malaysia should looking forward to do this too...90% of our Muslima wears hijab.

Joe98
08-08-2006, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HusamLah
another way to trap women and push them to abandon there faith---one step at a time

The purpose of the proposal is profit.

You're attitude is the reason why Muslims have difficulity living with non-muslims

Peace :)

Woodrow
08-08-2006, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

You're attitude is the reason why Muslims have difficulity living with non-muslims

Paradoxal, in view of the fact many of us live peacefully and productivly in Non-Muslim countries.

MUNIRAH
08-08-2006, 05:55 AM

Alhamdulilah! I never had any problems with non-muslims:D .....we live together and we live in peace:D :D

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 06:02 AM

Not every Muslim have the same attitude... I do welcome the 'beach' idea. It's good.

Mawaddah
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
By ARIEL DAVID
Associated Press Writer

ROME

Sounds good, but what i'm concerned about is that the women will not be very observant of their Awrah restrictions in front of other women.........

Muezzin
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
another way to trap women and push them to abandon there faith---one step at a time
By going to a female-only beach? How so?

Sweeping statements irritate me something rotten. Please don't make them. :)

S_87
08-08-2006, 05:51 PM
:sl:

cool idea!
but it isnt even hard to swim with a hijab on

chacha_jalebi
08-08-2006, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

but it isnt even hard to swim with a hijab on
sister try it :p and let us know how you get on :p lol

now now i think this is a good way of makin money & i agree with the post above that many of the ladies, may 4get their awrah infront of other women :p

Woodrow
08-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I seem to recall that there used to be a very large beach area for women in Morocco. I forgot exactly where, but if memory serves me right it was on the Atlantic coast and about half way between Kenitra and Tangiers.

I also recall several exclusivly female bathing areas on the Wadi that flows near Rabat.

Perhaps we can learn from the Meditrannean countries as to what types of beaches are halaal for women and how they are operated. Possibly that is what the beach in Italy is attempting.

Joe98
08-08-2006, 10:49 PM
the women will get too relaxed and enjoy their sinful freedoms

It would be a women only beach. What are you worried about????

Mujahidah4Allah
08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
i agree to the fact that some may forget their awrah limits, they'll probably even have cameras fitted somewhere so the men can see lolz

ma'salamah

muslimgurl88
08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal
i agree to the fact that some may forget their awrah limits, they'll probably even have cameras fitted somewhere so the men can see lolz

ma'salamah

the camera part could be true, its something that could be done by the guys who have no faith... it happens in some of the arab/islamic countries such as libya... wut i know is that they have a private beach there where every thursday would be ladies only but no one can easily go there because of the corrupt government and ppl, boys would be climbing the walls or find other ways to see wuts on the other side... and this is also something that happens at weddings. there would be video cameras controlled by guys with out any of the ladies knowning that they are there... then their pics get distributed between the men and magazines... astaghfirullah. but if these guys are going to take it very seriously and have their ways in keeping it as private as possible then id like to visit this place one day lol

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 02:09 AM
It would be a women only beach. What are you worried about????
He cant see them swimming?:p

S_87
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
sister try it :p and let us know how you get on :p lol

now now i think this is a good way of makin money & i agree with the post above that many of the ladies, may 4get their awrah infront of other women :p

brother ive swam with hijab loads of times and it really does not make a difference :D
abaya -thats harder, but still possible.

Mawaddah
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
^ haha yeah, I swim with my hijaab on all the time too, hijab and salwar kameez :D
Sometimes I swim with Abaya too.....it's not impossible, although very funny to look at :D
But what can I do! The beach is right in front of my house, you dont expect me to just LOOK at it? :eek:
In one word : Impossible :giggling:

S_87
08-09-2006, 02:19 PM

You mean abaya when it puffs up like a balloon because of the water? :lol:

please explain ???

afriend
08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
This is a good idea, to a certain extent........I mean, there's bound to be a culprit who's gonna try and get into the beach using some sort of dastardly plans.....

Mujahidah4Allah
08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
sounds dodgy to me, lol at u sistaz n swimming in jilbab has someone tried with nimaab lolz, neways its no use for me [swimming]

ma'salamah

S_87
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal
sounds dodgy to me, lol at u sistaz n swimming in jilbab has someone tried with nimaab lolz, neways its no use for me [swimming]

ma'salamah

nimaab??? you mean niqab sniper?
oh that is MUCH more harder as its covering face but not totally impossible. though wouldnt recommend as can be hard to breathe with all that water :D

Mujahidah4Allah
08-09-2006, 02:50 PM
drowning in niqaab thanx for correcting me flamani :p
aint herd sniper in a long time :cry:

ma'salamah

muslimgurl88
08-09-2006, 06:05 PM
lol swimming in niqab?? that would be a sight everyone would like to see... especially the non muslims... no offense, but hey we wanna have fun too!! and swimming in your clothes i dont think is a problem... i do it all the time! hehe

muslimgurl88
08-09-2006, 08:16 PM
[BANANA]the women will get too relaxed and enjoy their sinful freedoms[/BANANA]

theyll get used to being without there coverings and push to abandon them all together

come on u cant just assume that... the gurl wouldnt go and swim if she was gonna go just to get the chance to get all relaxed the way ur thinking of

mysterious
08-09-2006, 08:19 PM
[BANANA]the women will get too relaxed and enjoy their sinful freedoms[/BANANA]

theyll get used to being without there coverings and push to abandon them all together
thats not true at ALL
i wear niqab /abaya and I would never take it off just cause i wen to some beach and had fun there

muslimgurl88
08-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I still dont think they would stray if they knew wut they were doing... I even at a pool with girls only dress properly, even tho i know no man will be around adn that its only women around, and i know that other ladies around here are seen dressing in a wrong way in front of everyone, some of the ladies would go up to them and tell them to be a bit more descent with wut theyr wearing

mysterious
08-09-2006, 08:24 PM
some sisters would. women are gentle emotional creatures that are easy to influence
peace to you you are entitled to your opinion and i mine tho i think your wrong yes some women might if they are very very weak in iman but they shall have to answer to allah

mysterious
08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
thats our problem. we forget about the those weak in iman and believe me theres lots of them. we need to look after the weak and not encourage things that would tempt them
just because some are weak does not mean the others have to face the consequences those weak in iman should not go end of story

scentsofjannah
08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
you're wrong..there are female only beaches in the U.A.E, SaudiArabia etc.

personally i dont think this is a good idea..such a beach doesnt have to be created..becaus people are going to view us as people who have high demands...but many rich Gulf Arabs holiday in Italy so i can see the point of this which is to attract more visitors and money. if it was me i would choose a 'sparsely populated' beach and even remove my hijab so i can swim...no bikinis or swim suits though..they are a fairly new invention.:D

scentsofjannah
08-10-2006, 12:13 AM

stop being a fanatic

scentsofjannah
08-10-2006, 12:15 AM

donot assume hes 'mainstream'

north_malaysian
08-10-2006, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
. if it was me i would choose a 'sparsely populated' beach and even remove my hijab so i can swim...no bikinis or swim suits though..they are a fairly new invention.:D
My mum and sisters did this.... luckily there are lots of 'untouched' beaches in Malaysia.... but have to beware... because lots of nudists and lovers came to these beaches too.

S_87
08-10-2006, 02:39 PM
some sisters would. women are gentle emotional creatures that are easy to influence

no offence but these sisters do not need a beach to get them walking about shamelessly. it happens today in mixed societies anyway

Tania
08-10-2006, 08:35 PM
i can see muslims and nudists mixing well:p
I could never see the nudists.After me ,each person should have a little amount of self respect and don't expose his body in public

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.