/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Americans So Angry?

SolveEtCoagula
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Why Are Americans So Angry?

HON. RON PAUL OF TEXAS, June 29, 2006
Before the U.S. House of Representatives

I have been involved in politics for over 30 years and have never seen the American people so angry. It’s not unusual to sense a modest amount of outrage, but it seems the anger today is unusually intense and quite possibly worse than ever. It’s not easily explained, but I have some thoughts on this matter. Generally, anger and frustration among people are related to economic conditions; bread and butter issues. Yet today, according to government statistics, things are going well. We have low unemployment, low inflation, more homeowners than ever before, and abundant leisure with abundant luxuries. Even the poor have cell phones, televisions, and computers. Public school is free, and anyone can get free medical care at any emergency room in the country. Almost all taxes are paid by the top 50% of income earners. The lower 50% pay essentially no income taxes, yet general dissatisfaction and anger are commonplace. The old slogan “It’s the economy, stupid,” just doesn’t seem to explain things

Some say it’s the war, yet we’ve lived with war throughout the 20th century. The bigger they were the more we pulled together. And the current war, by comparison, has fewer American casualties than the rest. So it can’t just be the war itself.

People complain about corruption, but what’s new about government corruption? In the 19th century we had railroad scandals; in the 20th century we endured the Teapot Dome scandal, Watergate, Koreagate, and many others without too much anger and resentment. Yet today it seems anger is pervasive and worse than we’ve experienced in the past.

Continue to read:
http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/co...6/cr062906.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Najiullah
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
thanks for the post

snakelegs
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
thanks for the post. long speech, but worthwhile reading. i agree with him, we need more true conservatism....adhere to the constitution, which bush, inc. have made a mockery of with congressional rubber stamp approval.

"The major obstacle to a sensible foreign policy is the fiction about what patriotism means. Today patriotism has come to mean blind support for the government and its policies. In earlier times patriotism meant having the willingness and courage to challenge government policies regardless of popular perceptions.

Today we constantly hear innuendos and direct insults aimed at those who dare to challenge current foreign policy, no matter how flawed that policy may be. I would suggest it takes more courage to admit the truth, to admit mistakes, than to attack others as unpatriotic for disagreeing with the war in Iraq."
this makes me angry! i've experience this reaction quite a bit - like i love my country less than the flag-waver, bumper sticker amen chorus.
i only wish we had more politicians like congressman ron paul. i might actually take up voting.

syilla
08-08-2006, 01:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i might actually take up voting.
lol...u don't vote...

actually i never votted...i missed voting twice. I intended to vote this year...hehe...hope the politician didn't hear what i did or not i have to bear their long lecture.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
08-08-2006, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
lol...u don't vote...

actually i never votted...i missed voting twice. I intended to vote this year...hehe...hope the politician didn't hear what i did or not i have to bear their long lecture.
well, i did break my habit for the first time in the last presidential election - i voted for kerry, out of sheer desperation, even tho i didn't think he was much better than bush.
i think the elections are a farce - we are given a choice of 2 (only viable - there are 3rd parties, but they haven't a chance) candidates - a choice that isn't really a choice. neither are there for the people - they are bought and paid for by the same corporate interests (which donate to both parties), and that is who they serve.
if that wasn't bad enough, there are serious charges that the election was rigged, so it's even possible that bush didn't win. still, i think even if kerry had won, there would not be any important changes is u.s. policy.
i understand in some countries, people are required by law to vote.

syilla
08-08-2006, 06:12 AM
due to our multiracial country...

i think my vote is quite important...because the muslims wants muslims to be their reps (town leader).

If not...the non-muslims will win...and their priority is so much different than the muslims.

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 06:22 AM
lol...u don't vote...

I did my first vote in 2003. There will be election this year?:rollseyes

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 06:23 AM
due to our multiracial country...

i think my vote is quite important...because the muslims wants muslims to be their reps (town leader).

If not...the non-muslims will win...and their priority is so much different than the muslims.
My Parliamentary and DUN (State Assembly) constituencies - all contestants are non Muslims. It's between BN vs. DAP. Who did I vote? :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: You can guess........

syilla
08-08-2006, 06:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I did my first vote in 2003. There will be election this year?:rollseyes
i heard there will be one... :rollseyes maybe i'm wrong. If i am...please don't tell anyone that i have declared there will be an election (i'm not paklah's daughter hehehehe).

Woodrow
08-08-2006, 07:03 AM
My own reason for being angry. As a Disabled Vet we are dependant upon Congress to annualy approve the money that will be used for our health care. So congress approves a fair amount for next year and 66 ammendments are tacked onto the bill, that take away much of what was to be for our health care. to add insult to injury the 66 ammendments are for "pork" barrel projects.

OK, pork barrel really has nothing to do with pork, it is just an ironic phrase. Once again as I get older, I see less and less assistance for injuries I received over 40 years ago and as I get less able to pay for my own medical care, I see less help with what was promised to me.

syilla
08-08-2006, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
My Parliamentary and DUN (State Assembly) constituencies - all contestants are non Muslims. It's between BN vs. DAP. Who did I vote? :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: You can guess........
i think you vote both and spoilt your vote...(i have a friend that went blurred...during the election and he thought...he should cross the one that he do not want to elect... :giggling:)

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
i think you vote both and spoilt your vote...(i have a friend that went blurred...during the election and he thought...he should cross the one that he do not want to elect... :giggling:)
It's my first time to vote (I'm 'underage for 1999 election), I went at 10.00 AM.... I had to lined up until 12.00 NOON before casting my vote.... next time I'll be early!!!!

Before heading to poll station's gate both BN and DAP campaigners swarmed me with pamphlets, badges etc. I was like :scared: :scared: :scared:

My Parliament constituency is Bukit Gelugor. DAP won with 600 majority. Karpal Singh should thanks me A LOT!!!! Oppppppssssss....:X

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 08:38 AM
i heard there will be one... :rollseyes maybe i'm wrong. If i am...please don't tell anyone that i have declared there will be an election (i'm not paklah's daughter hehehehe).
Seeing the situation right now.... seems that BN might be controlling the nation in the next election but with slight majority.... urban voters would be against BN ... like what has happened in Sarawak DUN election this year.

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Seeing the situation right now.... seems that BN might be controlling the nation in the next election but with slight majority.... urban voters would be against BN ... like what has happened in Sarawak DUN election this year. Even Chinese and Ibans voted for PAS in Beting Maro

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.