/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can I make dua for a non-muslim?

asiya45
08-07-2006, 08:03 PM
:sl:
One of my friend is blind i was wondering...could i pray for her to get better Am i allowed to make dua for her to get her eye sight back? :?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Daffodil
08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
u cant make dua for a non muslim, however the only dua u can make for them is for Allah swt to giv them hidayat.

aamirsaab
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I make dua for all I know. Which includes non muslims. Whether or not it is accepted by Allah is an entirely different matter.

limitless
08-09-2006, 03:11 AM

Not entreily sure, but I used to make a pray (dua) for a non muslim who was ill or still is ill from blood cancer. But then my mom and someone else told me not to pray for non muslims, which then I have stopped. If someone can confirm such thing that is prohibited by an hadith, or Qur'an verse it would be much appericated. :)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
u cant make dua for a non muslim, however the only dua u can make for them is for Allah swt to giv them hidayat.
sad.

AvarAllahNoor
08-09-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
sad.
Yes i thought so too. Because a person is not muslim then that person should not receive the prayer of another. That's plain stupid, what God would instruct that, it's ludicrious! Some people do not know God is for all and not just muslims! :raging:

AvarAllahNoor
08-09-2006, 10:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
:WHAT??:

Snowflake
08-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Huh? Is there any evidence to back that up?

If saving one life (whateva the religion) equals to saving the whole of mankind, then why isn't making duaa permissable?

Quran:"And whoever saves a life it is as though he had saved the lives of all
mankind" (5:32).

Snowflake
08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
OK found this:

Allah Most High says:

“It is not for the Prophet and those who believe to pray for the forgiveness of idolaters even though they may be near of kin after it has become clear that they are people of hell-fire.” (Surah al-Tawba, V: 113)

However, it will be permitted to pray for the guidance of a non-Muslim when he/she is alive, hoping that he/she is guided and accepts Islam. It will also be permitted to pray for the good-health and well-being of a particular non-Muslim. (See: al-Mawsu’a al-Fiqhiyya, Kuwait)

Muslim Soldier
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Come on now. U R spoiling Islamic Identity.

We are allowed to pray for non muslims. Except in wars to pray for thier victories.

Snowflake
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Or for their forgiveness.

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2006, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
That's plain stupid, what God would instruct that, it's ludicrious! Some people do not know God is for all and not just muslims! :raging:
YOU R WRONG IN UR THOUGHTS.....

EVERYONE KNOW GOD IS FOR ALL.... BUT GOD DOESNT APPROVE EVERYONES WISHES....

AvarAllahNoor
08-09-2006, 01:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
YOU R WRONG IN UR THOUGHTS.....

EVERYONE KNOW GOD IS FOR ALL.... BUT GOD DOESNT APPROVE EVERYONES WISHES....
Pardon?

Dafodil said you're not allowed to pray for another!

bint_muhammed
08-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Pardon?

Dafodil said you're not allowed to pray for another!
duh! only for a non-muslim, only to show him the right path! do you enjoy manipulating people words!:raging:

bint_muhammed
08-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Yes i thought so too. Because a person is not muslim then that person should not receive the prayer of another. That's plain stupid, what God would instruct that, it's ludicrious! Some people do not know God is for all and not just muslims! :raging:

this is also not a debating topic, and if you ahve nothing Islamic advice to give i suggest you don't get involved!

AvarAllahNoor
08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
duh! only for a non-muslim, only to show him the right path! do you enjoy manipulating people words!:raging:
So you're not allowed to pray for a non muslims welfare?? Because that's what i'm reading. Odd, because if your believe in God you'd want to pray for all mankind regardless of religion! ;)

- Qatada -
08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Why should a person pray for someone who believes that their Creator has partners, or for the person who rejects Him totally?

We do pray for the person's guidance, so this is the best supplication a person can make for them - however, what's the point of supplicating for the one doesn't accept that?

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

asiya45
08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Why should a person pray for someone who believes that their Creator has partners, or for the person who rejects Him totally?

We do pray for the person's guidance, so this is the best supplication a person can make for them - however, what's the point of supplicating for the one doesn't accept that?

Peace.

Nicely said
:thumbs_up
I agree with you brother.
Jazakallah for giving me a clear and understanding answer.

snakelegs
08-09-2006, 07:08 PM
[/b]
Peace.
because they are your fellow human beings??
out of compassion for a blind person (the start of this thread)?
this forum uses the terms "brother/sister in humanity" - what does that mean?
not much, i guess.

Snowflake
08-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I believe we can pray for non muslims. Just not join in their religious prayers. But no harm in praying for their well being etc.... After all God made everyone, so why not pray for our fellow humanbeings.

bint_muhammed
08-09-2006, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
because they are your fellow human beings??
out of compassion for a blind person (the start of this thread)?
this forum uses the terms "brother/sister in humanity" - what does that mean?
not much, i guess.

exactly thats why we pray the best prayer for them them is for the right guidence, following Islam!

AvarAllahNoor
08-10-2006, 08:43 AM

Peace.
Well a valid reason being, there is only one GOD! Good lord do you not beleive it's the one who created all mankind. So how is it wrong to pray for another non muslim, the Kuran could not possibly preach this.

AvarAllahNoor
08-10-2006, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I believe we can pray for non muslims. Just not join in their religious prayers. But no harm in praying for their well being etc.... After all God made everyone, so why not pray for our fellow humanbeings.
Well it's nice to know there is another person who isn't following blindly :D

- Qatada -
08-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Well a valid reason being, there is only one GOD! Good lord do you not beleive it's the one who created all mankind. So how is it wrong to pray for another non muslim, the Kuran could not possibly preach this.

There is only one God - Allaah. The majority of the world believes there is a Creator, but the problem is that most don't believe that He should be worshipped Alone.

This is what islam is, and we believe that we should submit to what Allaah has commanded us to do, from the Qur'an and Sunnah. The same message which has been from the time of Aadam (peace be upon him) - the first man, all the way upto Muhammad (peace be upon him.)

If people submit to what Allaah Almighty has commanded them to do - they are muslims, hence you can pray for them. But the one's who don't accept the truth - then we should pray for their guidance, what prayer is better for a person than that? Once the person believes and submits to Allaah, then we should pray for them as much as possible;

"Abu Darda' (radiAllahu anhu) reported:
I heard the Messenger of Allah, salAllahu alayhi wasalam, saying, "Whenever a Muslim supplicates for his (Muslim) brother in his absence, the angels say: `May the same be for you too."
[Muslim, 1494]

"And ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women"
[Qur'an 47:19]

you can read more about that from here insha'Allaah:
http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/hadith_dua.html

If a believer does good in this life, their rewarded with paradise. If they reject what Allaah Almighty has sent to them, they end up in hellfire, so we pray for their guidance so they end up in paradise insha'Allaah (God willing.)

Peace.

i_m_tipu
08-10-2006, 12:48 PM

There is only one God - Allaah. The majority of the world believes there is a Creator, but the problem is that most don't believe that He should be worshipped Alone.

This is what islam is, and we believe that we should submit to what Allaah has commanded us to do, from the Qur'an and Sunnah. The same message which has been from the time of Aadam (peace be upon him) - the first man, all the way upto Muhammad (peace be upon him.)

If people submit to what Allaah Almighty has commanded them to do - they are muslims, hence you can pray for them. But the one's who don't accept the truth - then we should pray for their guidance, what prayer is better for a person than that? Once the person believes and submits to Allaah, then we should pray for them as much as possible;

"Abu Darda' (radiAllahu anhu) reported:
I heard the Messenger of Allah, salAllahu alayhi wasalam, saying, "Whenever a Muslim supplicates for his (Muslim) brother in his absence, the angels say: `May the same be for you too."
[Muslim, 1494]

"And ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women"
[Qur'an 47:19]

you can read more about that from here insha'Allaah:
http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/hadith_dua.html

If a believer does good in this life, their rewarded with paradise. If they reject what Allaah Almighty has sent to them, they end up in hellfire.

Peace.

:salamext: bro Fi_Sabilillah

very good reply

what is better pray than guidance of Allaah for the non-muslim

a exam:
a non-muslim is sick and u pray for his health. does not really bring any good for him Bcoz afterlife he will in hell.

so pray: may Allaah hidayat him for the non-muslim.

Daffodil
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
what is better pray than guidance of Allaah for the non-muslim

a exam:
a non-muslim is sick and u pray for his health. does not really bring any good for him Bcoz afterlife he will in hell.

so pray: may Allaah hidayat him for the non-muslim.
thats exactly what i was going to say, what gud wud it do to pray for better health for a non muslim wen theyll end up in hell any ways, the best prayer for them wud be for Allah swt to giv them hidayat.

also, why pray for some one who is too aragant to pray to god themselves, if u want god to help u put ur head down on the floor n pray to him.

DigitalStorm82
08-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Good stuff... keep it up :)

Snowflake
08-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Imagine the following scenarios:

*you come a cross a non muslim involved in a terrible car crash who looks like he is dying

*you come across a weeping mother holding a very sick baby

*you come across a victim of stabbing lying by the road side

*you come across a man hanging off a cliff for dear life - at that moment would you pray for his guidence or try to help and ask Allah for His help?

In that instance would your heart automatically say "Oh God please help them." Even if you think praying for non-muslims is not permissable. Wouldn't your heart automatically ask Allah to save/help them, out of compassion, mercy and humanity? I know mine would.

I know we are encouraged to pray for our muslim brothers and sisters, but how is it wrong to pray for non-muslims too?

Allah says in the Quran that whoever saves one life, it is as if he saved the whole of mankind. That isn't just a muslim life Allah is talking about. Then if saving a non-muslims life has such reward then how is praying for them impermissable? I can't and don't agree.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-13-2006, 12:39 PM
mate, u have ur beliefs n we have ours. if u got a problem wid dat den tough.. i might think certain aspects of ur religion is ludicrious or stupid, none need mentioning..

i_m_tipu
08-13-2006, 12:43 PM

*you come a cross a non muslim involved in a terrible car crash who looks like he is dying

In that instance would your heart automatically say "Oh God please help them." Even if you think praying for non-muslims is not permissable. Wouldn't your heart automatically ask Allah to save/help them, out of compassion, mercy and humanity? I know mine would.

I know we are encouraged to pray for our muslim brothers and sisters, but how is it wrong to pray for non-muslims too?

Allah says in the Quran that whoever saves one life, it is as if he saved the whole of mankind. That isn't just a muslim life Allah is talking about. Then if saving a non-muslims life has such reward then how is praying for them impermissable? I can't and don't agree.
wrong understanding

doing Dua
and
doing save does have lot of diffirence

doing dua is not required for non muslim

Bcoz it's really does not bring any good to him.
praying for the Guideness is best dua for him

but if u have abilities u should help

Snowflake
08-13-2006, 01:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu
wrong understanding

doing Dua
and
doing save does have lot of diffirence

Bcoz it's really does not bring any good to him.
praying for the Guideness is best dua for him

but if u have abilities u should help
Doing is different than duaa? Even to help someone we may need to pray. The issue about praying for guidence is clear. The conflict is about praying in general.

Let me put this to you. If a man is hanging off a branch on the side of a mountain, you'd want to help right? But you can't because you don't have the means to. Of course praying for his guidence at that time isn't going to help save his life will it? So would you being powerless to help, stand by and wait til he falls to his death or would you say "Please Allah help this man?"

BRB *lunch*

i_m_tipu
08-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Doing is different than duaa? Even to help someone we may need to pray. The issue about praying for guidence is clear. The conflict is about praying in general.

Let me put this to you. If a man is hanging off a branch on the side of a mountain, you'd want to help right? But you can't because you don't have the means to. Of course praying for his guidence at that time isn't going to help save his life will it? So would you being powerless to help, stand by and wait til he falls to his death or would you say "Please Allah help this man?"

BRB *lunch*
:salamext:
cool down sis
look like u r quite desparate:sister:

i thought the post of bro Fi_Sabilillah is clear enough
but it is clear that it is a imotional issue and need further explanation.

i do a little search after seeing ur opinion.

Chapter: 9
At-Tawba (Repentance, Dispensation)
verse: 113

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنْ يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِIt is not fitting, for the Prophet and those who believe, that they should pray for forgiveness for pagans (Mushrikun, polytheists, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), even though they be of kin, after it is clear to them that they are companions of the Fire.
tafsir of this aya
Bukhari, VI, No. 197.
This aya was revealed firstly in connection with the death of the Prophet's uncle Abu Talib, where Muhammad said 'I will keep on asking (Allah for) forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden to do so'. Then there was revealed: it is not fitting for the Prophet and those who believe that they should pray for forgiveness for pagans, even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the companions of the Fire.

Wahidi, op. cit., p. 152.
The other occasion reported is when the Companions and in particular 'Umar b. al-Khattab found the Prophet shedding tears when he visited the graveyard. The Prophet explained that he had visited his mother's grave and that he had asked his Lord's permission to visit it which had been granted to him and that he had also asked his Lord's permission to pray for her forgiveness which had not been granted to him and the above aya had been revealed.

Tafsir Al-Qurtubi
And Ibrahim's (Abraham) invoking (of Allah) for his father's forgiveness was only because of a promise he [Ibrahim (Abraham)] that he (his father) is an enemy of Allah, he disassociated himself from him. Verily Ibrahim (Abraham) was Awwah (one who invokes Allah with humility, glorifies Him and remembers Him much) and was forbearing.

verse: 84

وَلا تُصَلِّ عَلَى أَحَدٍ مِنْهُمْ مَاتَ أَبَدًا وَلا تَقُمْ عَلَى قَبْرِهِ إِنَّهُمْ كَفَرُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَمَاتُوا وَهُمْ فَاسِقُونَNor do thou ever pray for any of them that dies, nor stand at his grave; for they rejected Allah and His Messenger, and died in a state of perverse rebellion.

tafsir of this aya

Sahih Bukhari: Volume 2, Book 23, Number 359:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar: When 'Abdullah bin Ubai (the chief of hypocrites) died, his son came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Please give me your shirt to shroud him in it, offer his funeral prayer and ask for Allah's forgiveness for him." So Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) gave his shirt to him and said, "Inform me (When the funeral is ready) so that I may offer the funeral prayer." So, he informed him and when the Prophet intended to offer the funeral prayer, 'Umar took hold of his hand and said, "Has Allah not forbidden you to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites? The Prophet said, "I have been given the choice for Allah says: '(It does not avail) Whether you (O Muhammad) ask forgiveness for them (hypocrites), or do not ask for forgiveness for them. Even though you ask for their forgiveness seventy times, Allah will not forgive them. (9.80)" So the Prophet offered the funeral prayer and on that the revelation came: "And never (O Muhammad) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (i.e. hypocrites) that dies." (9. 84)

I m not find yet a single quotation of praying dua for non beleiver (but i find praying for the guideness of Allaah for non beleiver).

and i find lot of quotation of praying for forgiveness for beleiver

even thou
I agreed with u
that u have some valid point
that making dua is somewhat equavelent to saving
when u watching helpless non beleiver personal
where u have nothing to do physically.

Allaah(SWT) Knows the best

Snowflake
08-14-2006, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE]
cool down sis
look like u r quite desparate:sister:

Cool down? What made you think I was angry? :? Desperate? For what? It is because I don't agree with what you said you just 'assumed' I was angry? lol. That is unbelievable. Really... :heated:

i thought the post of bro Fi_Sabilillah is clear enough
but it is clear that it is a imotional issue and need further explanation.

i do a little search after seeing ur opinion.

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنْ يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِIt is not fitting, for the Prophet and those who believe, that they should pray for forgiveness for pagans (Mushrikun, polytheists, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah), even though they be of kin, after it is clear to them that they are companions of the Fire.
tafsir of this aya
[indent]Bukhari, VI, No. 197.
^Once again I will state that the issue in question isn't about praying for forgiveness or guidence. The rulings on that are clear and at no point did I oppose them. Please see the first post which is about praying for non-muslims who are ill etc.. This is where opinions are differing. And as yet all the given verses and quotes only show prohibtion for praying for forgiveness or at funerals. Nobody has yet provided solid evidence to say praying for ill/needy non muslims is prohibited?

I m not find yet a single quotation of praying dua for non beleiver (but i find praying for the guideness of Allaah for non beleiver).
Just like I haven't seen any solid evidence to say praying for ill/needy non muslims is prohibited. Let's leave out praying for guidence and forgiveness from here on because that is not what we are debating.

and i find lot of quotation of praying for forgiveness for beleiver
But does that mean we cannot pray for their well being either? Praying for their forgiveness is prohibited anyway. Praying for guidence is encouraged. Yet that doesn't automatically mean that praying for their wellbeing is forbidden too. Until I see solid evidence, I will continue to believe that is it a matter of personal choice. And I for one second cannot believe that one human being wouldn't want to pray for another in need/suffering.

even thou
I agreed with u
that u have some valid point
that making dua is somewhat equavelent to saving
when u watching helpless non beleiver personal
where u have nothing to do physically.
Right. MashaAllah. Good. MashaAllah. When non muslims are inflicted with pain and suffering it is by the will of Allah. When they are blessed with good fortune it is by the will of Allah. If we pray for non muslims, it is only by the will of Allah that our prayers will be of any use to them.

If a non muslim friend is ill, we say something like, "I hope you get well soon."

Well who are we hoping from? Allah of course, as we believe only Allah can make him better. So we've made duaa without even realising.

This thread has given non muslims such negative views of Islam. Our actions should be such that they invite non muslims to Islam not hinder them. There were comments like "Our prayers are of no use to them as they will go to hell anyway." Such a shame, when Allah himself rewards non muslims for their good deeds in this life on earth. So what has praying for the well being of a non muslim got to do with hell anyway. That's subjected to their suffering in this life.

If I was a non muslim and I heard that I was not worthy of being prayed for in sickness and grief by a muslim, I too would've ended up with very negative views about Islam. We should treat non muslims in a gentle way that reflects the true and genuine spirit of Islam. Saying we cannot pray for their well being, especially with no evidence being presented is a sure way to put ppl off Islam.

i_m_tipu
08-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Cool down? What made you think I was angry? :? Desperate? For what? It is because I don't agree with what you said you just 'assumed' I was angry? lol. That is unbelievable. Really... :heated:
is that offend u
i m sorry
i guess this debate will not make any fruitfull result:? (Allahu Alim)

i thought u gaving hard example like

Just like I haven't seen any solid evidence to say praying for ill/needy non muslims is prohibited. Let's leave out praying for guidence and forgiveness from here on because that is not what we are debating.
Whenever Allaah told human to Pray for forgiveness he told that to Believer (Muslims). Every time he told Believer Muslim to ask for Forgiveness to Allaah. And non believer for Hedayat

Does make a good sense that Praying for forgiveness to non-muslim isn’t required. Bocz Allaah mentions in Quran Allaah never forgive them until they believe in Allaah and his deen.

Allah knows the best

asiya45
08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Now i am confused:? :heated:
:X ok so i know i am not allowed to make dua for forgiveness for any
non-muslim but i am not allowed to ask Allah to "help" them as well?
:astagfiru
May Allah forgive me and all of us if we made any mistakes.
Ameen
:wasalamex

asiya45
08-14-2006, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=Muslimah_Sis;449580]

This thread has given non muslims such negative views of Islam. Our actions should be such that they invite non muslims to Islam not hinder them. There were comments like "Our prayers are of no use to them as they will go to hell anyway." Such a shame, when Allah himself rewards non muslims for their good deeds in this life on earth. So what has praying for the well being of a non muslim got to do with hell anyway. That's subjected to their suffering in this life.

If I was a non muslim and I heard that I was not worthy of being prayed for in sickness and grief by a muslim, I too would've ended up with very negative views about Islam. We should treat non muslims in a gentle way that reflects the true and genuine spirit of Islam. Saying we cannot pray for their well being, especially with no evidence being presented is a sure way to put ppl off Islam.

:embarrass sister you are right absolutely right!
:bravo:

Quruxbadaan
08-14-2006, 10:03 PM

*you come across a man hanging off a cliff for dear life - at that moment would you pray for his guidence or try to help and ask Allah for His help?

Asalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

we have to keep in mind that anyperson in the situations you described is in those situations because Allah swt who is the best of planners who is the most powerful and most merciful put them in that situation

Asking Allah swt for them to see the light of islam before they die and be guided to the truth before the die is the best dua you can make for anybody better than asking for their life to be spared

A person who believes in Jesus as god???? the dua i would make for them is "may Allah swt the creator guide you" and thats it regardless what situation they are in

ofcourse you as a muslim should try to help them if she is stabbed to try to call somebody if she is hurt to try to help her out anyway you can
but to make dua for their saftey is not apropriate

make dua for your fellow muslim brothers and sisters who are dying every minute
you dont make dua for them but you are soo quick to jump on some kuffars lap and make dua to allah for his saftey????? it just doesnt make sence to me

how can you want to make dua for a person who has rejected and placed partners with allah SWT???? what better dua to make for that person than ask allah to guide them????

anyway no offense to non muslims

Snowflake
08-15-2006, 01:30 AM

i_m_tipu;449692]:sl:
is that offend u
i m sorry
It's OK.

Whenever Allaah told human to Pray for forgiveness he told that to Believer (Muslims). Every time he told Believer Muslim to ask for Forgiveness to Allaah. And non believer for Hedayat

Does make a good sense that Praying for forgiveness to non-muslim isn’t required. Bocz Allaah mentions in Quran Allaah never forgive them until they believe in Allaah and his deen.
Ummm yes... Like I said countless times before, we are not debating on praying for forgiveness. It's clear why that would be futile. So that is not the issue here.

[
QUOTE=Quruxbadaan;450272]Asalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

we have to keep in mind that anyperson in the situations you described is in those situations because Allah swt who is the best of planners who is the most powerful and most merciful put them in that situation
I already said that.

Asking Allah swt for them to see the light of islam before they die and be guided to the truth before the die is the best dua you can make for anybody better than asking for their life to be spared
It is indeed the best duaa. But praying for guidence when death is staring someone in the face will only be helpful if they live to be guided. I don't see the harm in praying for their safety at that point. Neither is there any evidence to say such prayers are forbidden.

A person who believes in Jesus as god???? the dua i would make for them is "may Allah swt the creator guide you" and thats it regardless what situation they are in
That's your choice. But I guarantee you that most muslim men objecting to my views, would gladly marry a christian woman who believes in Jesus as God, because according to popular belief, the Quran allows muslim men to marry from People of The Book. But that man is forbidden from making duaa for his wife, b'cuz she's a non muslim. Yet he can have sexual relations with her, expect her to bear his children etc etc??? What a sham!

ofcourse you as a muslim should try to help them if she is stabbed to try to call somebody if she is hurt to try to help her out anyway you can
but to make dua for their saftey is not apropriate
You don't say why it's not appropriate? Does Allah not answer their prayers also? One on hand it seems that some muslims praise and acknowledge the meaning of the 99 names of Allah, but then forget how Kind and Merciful He is. Allah answers their prayers too, but only for this world. Do you honestly believe that if we were to pray for their well being/safety in this world Allah would be mad at us? Is that how limited you think Allah's mercy is? How sad. As yet all I've seen is proof that we should pray for their guidence but not forgiveness. But so far no one has been able to gimme any proof to show that praying for them in general is haraam!

make dua for your fellow muslim brothers and sisters who are dying every minute
you dont make dua for them but you are soo quick to jump on some kuffars lap and make dua to allah for his saftey????? it just doesnt make sence to me
very sad! very very sad you judged me in that way. And a very bad choice of words for a muslim sister. Do you know what I pray and for whom? NO! Then you are in no position to judge me or anyone else for that matter.

how can you want to make dua for a person who has rejected and placed partners with allah SWT????
Easy! Their faith is between them and Allah. But I would make duaa for them because I love all of Allah's creation, be it flowers, trees, animals and the entire universe, I also love them as part of Allah's creation. If I see any of Allah's creation suffering, I will make duaa, because I have strong faith that my action will not anger Allah. We might not be bonded by faith with them, but the bond of humanity shouldn't be forgotten.

And Believe it or not but Allah loves non muslims too. If He didn't he wouldn't tell us to pray for their guidence. He wouldn't forgive the previous sins of those who revert. But He does so out of love for His creation. Then despite all His Mercy, do you think Allah would be displeased with me if I prayed/cared for His creation whom He also loves and cares for so much? I think not.

what better dua to make for that person than ask allah to guide them????
None! But that doesn't mean one can't make duaa for them otherwise. If I love all of Allah's creation make duaa for them, surely Allah will be pleased that I love what He created and loves, even if he is displeased with them.

Remember Allah is there for all His creation. Only not all of Allah's creation is not there for Him.

anyway no offense to non muslims
I hope not too...

i_m_tipu
08-15-2006, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis in post no# 34
Nobody has yet provided solid evidence to say praying for ill/needy non muslims is prohibited?
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis in post no# 39
Neither is there any evidence to say such prayers are forbidden.
But so far no one has been able to gimme any proof to show that praying for them in general is haraam!
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu in post no# 31
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu in post no# 35

Does make a good sense that Praying for forgiveness to non-muslim isn’t required.
First let me remind u
Not required <>(not equal to) Haram or prohibited or not allowed to doing.

Not required =(mean) useless if u do it.
Prohibited =(mean) u are not permitted/allow to do.

Ummm yes... Like I said countless times before, we are not debating on praying for forgiveness. It's clear why that would be futile. So that is not the issue here.
Important: u must understand help only come when Allaah will forgive and mercy.
Ask for forgiveness is first action than ask for help.
May Allaah give us proper understanding.

If u study my post
I used quote a sentence
“Allaah knows the best”
Only bcoz there is lacking of concrete evidence.

If u study ur post
It seem u r quite obvious of ur believe
Even thou there is no evidence of praying dua for non believer
Even thou there is many evidence of praying for hedayat for non believer.

Is not it looks unapropeate to ask help/ forgiveness to Allaah(SWT) for non believer
who does not believe is god (believe in partner of God or disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah).

If u say to a non believer that I make a dua for u.
I m sure he will asking in mind may my God help me (may this/that doctor/policeman/driver (whatever) help me get rid of my problems)

u must not forget we do not have better thought than Allaah and His Prophets

i_m_tipu
08-15-2006, 06:50 AM
That's your choice. But I guarantee you that most muslim men objecting to my views, would gladly marry a christian woman who believes in Jesus as God, because according to popular belief, the Quran allows muslim men to marry from People of The Book. But that man is forbidden from making duaa for his wife, b'cuz she's a non muslim. Yet he can have sexual relations with her, expect her to bear his children etc etc??? What a sham!
Above situation is more explainable subject

Question:
I have some questions about Islam, could you explain them for me? Is it permissible for someone who follows Islam to marry someone who does not follows Islam without that person converting to Islam after marriage?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a Muslim man to marry a non-Muslim woman if she is Christian or Jewish, but it is not permissible for him to marry a non-Muslim woman who follows any religion other than these two. The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Made lawful to you this day are At‑Tayyibaat [all kinds of Halaal (lawful) foods, which Allaah has made lawful (meat of slaughtered eatable animals, milk products, fats, vegetables and fruits)]. The food (slaughtered cattle, eatable animals) of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) is lawful to you and yours is lawful to them. (Lawful to you in marriage) are chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture (Jews and Christians) before your time when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), desiring chastity (i.e. taking them in legal wedlock) not committing illegal sexual intercourse, nor taking them as girlfriends”

[al-Maa'idah 5:4]

Imam al-Tabari said in his commentary on this verse:

“chaste women from the believers and chaste women from those who were given the Scripture” means, free woman among those whom have been given the Scripture, namely the Jews and Christians who believe in what is in the Tawraat (Torah) and Injeel (Gospel) from among the people who came before you, O believers in Muhammad, whether from among the Arabs or other people; you are permitted to marry them “when you have given their due Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage)” which means, if you give to those whom you marry of your (Muslims’) chaste women and their (Jews’ and Christians’) chaste women their mahrs or dowries.”

(Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 6/104)

But it is not permissible for a Muslim man to marry a Magian (Zoroastrian) woman or a communist woman or an idol-worshipping woman, etc.

The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not marry Al-Mushrikaat (idolatresses) till they believe (worship Allaah Alone). And indeed a slave woman who believes is better than a (free) Mushrikah (idolatress), even though she pleases you”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

A mushrikah is an idol-worshipping woman who worships stones, whether from among the Arabs or others.

It is not permissible for a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim from any other religion, whether from among the Jews or Christians, or any other kaafir religion. It is not permissible for her to marry a Jew, a Christian, a Magian, a communist, an idol-worshipper, etc.

The evidence for that is the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. Those (Al-Mushrikoon) invite you to the Fire, but Allaah invites (you) to Paradise and forgiveness by His Leave, and makes His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) clear to mankind that they may remember”

[al-Baqarah 2:221]

Imam al-Tabari said:

What is said concerning the interpretation of the words “And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon till they believe (in Allaah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you” is that what Allaah meant by that is that Allaah has forbidden the believing women to give birth to a mushrik, no matter what kind of shirk he believes in. So, O believers, do not give your daughters in marriage to them, for that is forbidden to you. For you to give them in marriage to a believing slave who believes in Allaah and His Messenger and that which he brought from Allaah is better for you than to give them in marriage to a free mushrik even if he is of noble descent and honourable origins, even if you like his descent and background…

It was narrated that Qutaadah and al-Zuhri said, concerning the phrase “And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al‑Mushrikoon”, It is not permissible for you to give them in marriage to a Jew or a Christian or a mushrik who is not a follower of your religion. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 2/379).

Islam Q&A

Snowflake
08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
i_m_tipu;450606]First let me remind u
Not required <>(not equal to) Haram or prohibited or not allowed to doing.

Not required =(mean) useless if u do it.
Prohibited =(mean) u are not permitted/allow to do.
:rolleyes:

So Allah only helps non muslims after forgiveness and mercy? Allah is already merciful to them. He Alone is The Provider for all mankind. Is that not Allah's mercy that He has blessed those with health and wealth even though He is displeased with them?

Quran-:"God is the Creator of everything. He is the guardian over everything. Unto Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth." (39:62, 63)

If u study my post
I used quote a sentence
“Allaah knows the best”
Only bcoz there is lacking of concrete evidence.
I agree.

If u study ur post
It seem u r quite obvious of ur believe
Even thou there is no evidence of praying dua for non believer
Even thou there is many evidence of praying for hedayat for non believer.
There is sufficient evidence on praying for hidayah. We agree upon that. But you seem to be stuck on posting that fact repeatedly when I've already made clear my opinion.

Is not it looks unapropeate to ask help/ forgiveness to Allaah(SWT)
Forgiveness again? ZzZzZzZzzzz..... as for praying for help, I don't see the harm. Like I said Allah is there for all mankind. Muslim or not.

for non believer who does not believe is god (believe in partner of God or disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah).
Wouldn't you pray for a sick non muslim child, because his parents associate partners with God? Or does that shake your opinion because you realise that a child is innocent and yet ignorant of knowledge? Would that be OK with you? Would you not pray for those in distress who have never heard of Islam?
If so why not? If yes, then why differentiate between them?

Allah is displeased and hates what they believe. That is not the same as hating them. Allah is already showering His mercy upon them, then what is wrong if we ask Allah to do the same?

If u say to a non believer that I make a dua for u.
I m sure he will asking in mind may my God help me (may this/that doctor/policeman/driver (whatever) help me get rid of my problems)
Did you not see the reaction of non muslims on this thread when they saw that muslims shouldn't pray for them. Far from minding if a muslim prayed for them, I think they would've been rather impressed by a caring attitude. Furthermore a prayer is a plea to Allah from one's heart. You don't stop to think whether someone will approve or not. You're not doing it to gain points. It's only the essence of humanity and compassion that would enable you to pray for someone in the first place.

u must not forget we do not have better thought than Allaah and His Prophets
No one denied that.

[B]Extract taken from another site:[/B]
However, it will be permitted to pray for the guidance of a non-Muslim when he/she is alive, hoping that he/she is guided and accepts Islam. It will also be permitted to pray for the good-health and well-being of a particular non-Muslim. (See: al-Mawsu’a al-Fiqhiyya, Kuwait)

Visiting and offering condolences at the time of bereavement

It is permitted to visit a non-Muslim to offer one’s condolences for a family bereavement. It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:

“If a non-Muslim dies, one may say to the deceased’s father or some other relative of his: “May God recompense you with someone better and honour you with Islam, and that He bestow you with a Muslim child…” (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/348)

The highlighted part of the sentence has nothing to do with guidence but is a prayer for comfort and sympathy for the deceased's relative. Anything wrong with that?

All in all, I've spent hours (which I don't have) researching this topic. My aim is not to make anyone agree with me. I merely stated my opinion and tried to explain and justify it. Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with. I don't have time to continue with endless debate, especially when the topic keeps revolving around praying for forgiveness etc.. which never was the issue.

If I do, it may be a while before I reply.

i_m_tipu
08-16-2006, 04:38 AM
So Allah only helps non muslims after forgiveness and mercy? Allah is already merciful to them. He Alone is The Provider for all mankind. Is that not Allah's mercy that He has blessed those with health and when, even though He is displeased with them?

Quran-:"God is the Creator of everything. He is the guardian over everything. Unto Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth." (39:62, 63)
here we go again :p

i am afrid i do not .......

but i should not continue:X

this aya in above topic :?....:-\

Extract taken from another site:

Visiting and offering condolences at the time of bereavement

It is permitted to visit a non-Muslim to offer one’s condolences for a family bereavement. It is stated in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya:
JajakAllaah for the info

can u provide the source or the dalil behind this Fatawa

i m sure it will give me knowledge.
willing to take any better proof insAllaah.....

“If a non-Muslim dies, one may say to the deceased’s father or some other relative of his: “May God recompense you with someone better and honour you with Islam, and that He bestow you with a Muslim child…” (al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 5/348)
:-\.....:-\

There are very clear indications in Quran.

tafsir of this aya
Bukhari, VI, No. 197.
This aya was revealed firstly in connection with the death of the Prophet's uncle Abu Talib, where Muhammad said 'I will keep on asking (Allah for) forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden to do so'. Then there was revealed: it is not fitting for the Prophet and those who believe that they should pray for forgiveness for pagans, even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the companions of the Fire.

Wahidi, op. cit., p. 152.
The other occasion reported is when the Companions and in particular 'Umar b. al-Khattab found the Prophet shedding tears when he visited the graveyard. The Prophet explained that he had visited his mother's grave and that he had asked his Lord's permission to visit it which had been granted to him and that he had also asked his Lord's permission to pray for her forgiveness which had not been granted to him and the above aya had been revealed.

Tafsir Al-Qurtubi
And Ibrahim's (Abraham) invoking (of Allah) for his father's forgiveness was only because of a promise he [Ibrahim (Abraham)] that he (his father) is an enemy of Allah, he disassociated himself from him. Verily Ibrahim (Abraham) was Awwah (one who invokes Allah with humility, glorifies Him and remembers Him much) and was forbearing.

verse: 84

وَلا تُصَلِّ عَلَى أَحَدٍ مِنْهُمْ مَاتَ أَبَدًا وَلا تَقُمْ عَلَى قَبْرِهِ إِنَّهُمْ كَفَرُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَمَاتُوا وَهُمْ فَاسِقُونَNor do thou ever pray for any of them that dies, nor stand at his grave; for they rejected Allah and His Messenger, and died in a state of perverse rebellion.
tafsir of this aya

Sahih Bukhari: Volume 2, Book 23, Number 359:
Narrated Ibn 'Umar: When 'Abdullah bin Ubai (the chief of hypocrites) died, his son came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! Please give me your shirt to shroud him in it, offer his funeral prayer and ask for Allah's forgiveness for him." So Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) gave his shirt to him and said, "Inform me (When the funeral is ready) so that I may offer the funeral prayer." So, he informed him and when the Prophet intended to offer the funeral prayer, 'Umar took hold of his hand and said, "Has Allah not forbidden you to offer the funeral prayer for the hypocrites? The Prophet said, "I have been given the choice for Allah says: '(It does not avail) Whether you (O Muhammad) ask forgiveness for them (hypocrites), or do not ask for forgiveness for them. Even though you ask for their forgiveness seventy times, Allah will not forgive them. (9.80)" So the Prophet offered the funeral prayer and on that the revelation came: "And never (O Muhammad) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (i.e. hypocrites) that dies." (9. 84)

glo
08-18-2006, 12:51 PM
I am not sure whether I should 'resurrect' this thread - it seemed to get quite heated.

Personally I find the concept of deliberately not praying for non-believers very strange, and also very sad.

I pray for people of all faiths and none, when the situation arises!

Why?
Firstly and largely, because I feel compassion for people of all faiths and none. We share the same emotions and feelings, we react to pain and suffering in the same way! Why should I not ask God to show his grace and intervene???
Secondly, because God made us all - so who am I to judge who deserves God's blessing or not???

If I see a person in need, should I enquire about their faith before I pray for them? I don't think so!

I understand the Muslim desire to lead people onto the right path. As a Christian I share a similar desire.
But Jesus asked us to love our neighbours. That means to help them and meet their needs whenever we can. That means not just like-minded friends, but all neighbours! And it includes prayer as much as practical help (in my book, anyway) :)

Peace

Snowflake
08-19-2006, 12:26 PM
^Just how I feel :)

$i$ter
08-19-2006, 12:36 PM
oviously your allowed 2 pray 4 non muslims 2 be guided, Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) prayed plenty of tyms for his enemies 2 become muslims ....bt im nt sure if your allowed to pray 4 them for other reasons! ...I'll try & find out! ...Inshallah!...x

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.