/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with Sister and Brother-in-law

anonymous
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
:sl:

Is it ok to travel, e.g. Hajj/Umrah, if you are a sister and are going with your sister and brother-in-law?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mlsh27
08-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I know that a women can go on hajj alone with a note from a mahram male..so I guess as long as you get that note, it's ok.

rizwana87
08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
well u can go with anyone with whom marriage is prohibited, im not too sure....

mlsh27
08-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I got this off of wikipedia:
Preparations

Traditionally, pilgrims travel to Mecca in groups with their friends or family, or people from their local mosque, in order to save money. Some airlines have special package holidays for Muslims going to Mecca. A woman is encouraged to go to Mecca in the company of a male relative (father, husband, or brother) but the Saudi government permits an unaccompanied woman to go provided that she travels in a group with other women and has written permission to do so from a male relative (even if the relative is not a Muslim or is younger than she is).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
08-07-2006, 11:21 PM

What if it's to an Islamic country to study an Islamic topic.

mlsh27
08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
I found this
Performing Hajj without a Mahran

There are four general conditions before Hajj becomes compulsory. And they are:
1. The person should be Muslim,
2. has reached the age of discernment,
3. is of sound mental ability,
4. they must be capable of completing the journey to Hajj, both physically and financially. Both males and females share these conditions. But, the woman has an extra condition before she can be held accountable for not performing Hajj and that is the accompaniment of a Mahram (unmarriageable man).
on http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive...ang=E&id=55862

Umm Yoosuf
08-07-2006, 11:27 PM

Question :

I want to go fo Umah but as i cant go without Meam, i'm stuck & sad, my husband is vey much busy with his wok cant leave the site fo8-10 days , kindly guide me how can i p fom umah & please pay fo my family & husband.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

A woman who does not have a mahram to travel with does not have to go for Hajj or ‘Umrah, and she is excused if she does not go. It is haraam for her to travel for Hajj or for any other reason without a mahram, and she has to be patient until Allaah makes it easy for one of her mahrams to travel with her.

The ways of goodness are many. If a Muslim cannot do one act of worship, he may strive hard in those acts of worship that he can do, until Allaah makes it easy for him to do the acts of worship that he could not do.

By the bounty of Allaah towards His believing slaves, if a person resolves to do an act of worship but he is unable to do it because of some excuse, he will be granted the reward of one who does it. Al-Bukhaari (4423) narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came back from the campaign of Tabook and when he drew close to Madeenah he said: “In Madeenah there are some people who, whenever you marched or crossed a valley, were with you.” They said: “O Messenger of Allaah, but they were in Madeenah.” He said, “They were in Madeenah because some excuse kept them back.”

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

A woman who does not have a mahram does not have to do Hajj, because in her case a mahram is part of being able to do Hajj, and being able to do it is one of the conditions of Hajj being obligatory. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah) to the House (Ka‘bah) is a duty that mankind owes to Allaah, those who can afford the expenses (for one’s conveyance, provision and residence)”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:97]

It is not permissible for her to travel for Hajj or for any other purpose unless she is accompanied by her husband or a mahram, because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “No man should be alone with a woman unless her mahram is present, and no woman should travel unless she has a mahram with her.” A man stood up and said: “O Messenger of Allaah, my wife has gone out for Hajj, and I have enlisted for such and such a campaign.” He said: “Go and do Hajj with your wife.” This was also the view of al-Hasan, al-Nakha’i, Ahmad, Ishaaq, Ibn al-Mundhir and ashaab al-ra’i, and it is the correct view, because of the verse quoted, as well as the general meaning of the ahaadeeth which forbid a woman to travel without her husband or a mahram. Maalik, al-Shaafa’i and al-Awzaa’i held a different opinion and each of them stipulated a condition (allowing her to do that), but with no evidence. Ibn al-Mundhir said: they did not follow the apparent meaning of the hadeeth, and each of them stipulated a condition (allowing her to do that), but with no evidence.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta’, 11/90, 91

And they said:

If the situation is as described – that it is not easy for your husband or a mahram of yours to travel with you to perform the obligation of Hajj – then you are not obliged to do it so long as this is the case, because the accompaniment of your husband or mahram on the journey for Hajj is one of the conditions of Hajj being obligatory for you. It is haraam for you to travel for Hajj or for any other purpose without that, even if you go with your brother’s wife and a group of women, according to the correct scholarly view, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “No woman should travel except with a mahram.” (Saheeh – agreed upon). That is unless your brother also travels with his wife, in which case it is permissible to travel with him, because he is a mahram for you. Strive to do righteous deeds that do not need you to travel, and be patient in the hope that Allaah will make things easier for you and enable you to go for Hajj with your husband or mahram.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta’, 11/96.

And Allaah knows best.

Also see:

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?QR=83762&ln=eng

amirah_87
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

It isn't allowed for a women to travel without the presence of her mahram..only if she's makin' hijrah from the land of the kufr!!

Abu Sa'id, may Allah be pleased with him, said:
Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Do not set out on a journey (for religious devotion) but for three mosques: for this mosque of mine (at Medina), the Sacred Mosque (at Makkah), and the Aqsa Mosque (Jerusalem Mosque), and I heard him also say: A woman should not travel for two days' duration, but only when there is a Mahram with her or her husband.

and in another hadeeth narrated by he said; Ibn 'Umar, may Allah be pleased with them, reported:
Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: A woman should not set out on three (days' journey) except when she has a Mahram with her.

Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported:
Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: It is not lawful for a Muslim woman to travel a distance equal to night's journey except when there is a Mahram (near kinsman) with her.

And Allahu subhaanahu wa ta3aalaa knows best!!

mlsh27
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
What if you travel for business? If I get the career I want, inshaAllah, I will be traveling all over the world, and I know from what my husband wants to do that we will be in 2 separate places.

Umm Yoosuf
08-07-2006, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
That condition is for her Mahram's e.g. father, brother, granfather etc

Although, she can't marry her brother in law whilst he is married to her sister, he is not considered as her Mahram. He doesn't full into the catagory.

Allah Knows Best.

mlsh27
08-07-2006, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
That condition is for her Mahram's e.g. father, brother, granfather etc

Although, she can't marry her brother in law whilst he is married to her sister, he is not considered as her Mahram. He doesn't full into the catagory.

Allah Knows Best.
I never said he was a mahram:rollseyes

Hijaabi22
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I know that a women can go on hajj alone with a note from a mahram male..so I guess as long as you get that note, it's ok.
but is her bro in law considered mahram??? Cos she could potentially marry him :? I dunnnoooo

S_87
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
but is her bro in law considered mahram??? Cos she could potentially marry him :? I dunnnoooo

a bro in law isnt a *permanent* mahram. two sisters just cant marry him at once.

------
01-13-2008, 05:49 PM
:salamext:

* bump

Check out the lecture in my signature.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...aze-wiked.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.