/* */

PDA

View Full Version : stirring up interest in seeking knowledge?

al-fateh
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
One may note that there is a lack of interest and apathy towards seeking knowledge. What are the ways and means of stirring up interest in seeking knowledge?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Samee
08-08-2006, 12:31 AM
:sl:

I see you've taken this exact question from the fatwa of Shaykh Uthaymeen.

Question:
One may note that there is a lack of interest and apathy towards seeking knowledge. What are the ways and means of stirring up interest in seeking knowledge?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Lack of interest in seeking Islamic knowledge is a major calamity. There are a number of things which we must do, including the following:

1 – sincerity of intention towards Allaah in seeking knowledge. If a person is sincere towards Allaah in his pursuit of knowledge, and knows that he will be rewarded for his efforts and that he will be in the third level of the ummah, then his interest will be increased.

“And whoso obey Allaah and the Messenger (Muhammad), then they will be in the company of those on whom Allaah has bestowed His Grace, of the Prophets, the Siddiqoon (those followers of the Prophets who were first and foremost to believe in them, like Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq), the martyrs, and the righteous. And how excellent these companions are!”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:69 – interpretation of the meaning]

2 – keeping company with friends who will encourage you to seek knowledge and will help you to discuss and research, and you will not got bored of their company so long as they help you to gain knowledge.

3 – Being patient with yourself, by disciplining yourself when you want to turn away. Allaah said to His Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):

“And keep yourself (O Muhammad) patiently with those who call on their Lord (i.e. your companions who remember their Lord with glorification, praising in prayers, and other righteous deeds) morning and afternoon, seeking His Face; and let not your eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp and glitter of the life of the world”

[al-Kahf 18:28 – interpretation of the meaning]

So be patient, for if you are patient and get used to seeking knowledge, that will become a characteristic of yours. Then a day when you have no opportunity for seeking knowledge becomes a long (i.e., boring) day. But if you give yourself free rein in following your whims and desires, this is wring, because the soul is inclined towards evil, and the Shaytaan encourages people to be lazy and not to learn.

al-fateh
08-08-2006, 12:48 AM

its a reminder, just wanted everyone to read it as well and str up some thoughts

thanks bro

mlsh27
08-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Except when others seek knowledge that does not have to do with Islam, ie. math, science, language arts, other Muslims seem to look down on you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al-fateh
08-08-2006, 12:59 AM
why do u say that sis?

i have great respect for them as well...

to each his own and different interest

Islam pushes on seeking such knowledge

mlsh27
08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh
why do u say that sis?

i have great respect for them as well...

to each his own and different interest

Islam pushes on seeking such knowledge
Because whenever I bring in information from science or whatever, even though it's not against Islam, people ignore it and say science is false.

al-fateh
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
this is an ignorant statment

and thats why the west is far more advanced than the east...

i disagree with it

Looking4Peace
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
whoever says science is false shouldnt be even Muslim, sorry to sound so blunt but Islam was never anti science or math, in fact they brought it out more than any other religion while Christianity over in Europe was making people keep quiet about anything scientific, this was the dark ages i think.

mlsh27
08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh
this is an ignorant statment

and thats why the west is far more advanced than the east...

i disagree with it
How is my statement ignorant? I am just saying what I have noticed from other Muslims on this forum.

Samee
08-08-2006, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
How is my statement ignorant? I am just saying what I have noticed from other Muslims on this forum.
He wasn't calling your statement ignorant. Look at the context of his post. He was calling the very statement you argue against ignorant.

And I don't get where you get the notion that muslims are anti-science. I don't know if you've noticed, but who do you think came up with all of these advancements like algebra (In arabic= Al-Jabr) and astronomy?

afriend
08-08-2006, 02:21 AM

When I do hifz, I turn it into an action which I enjoy......Like I loved playing strategy games...Not everything I do I turn it into a battle....Just have a look at my location.....it's in terms of my hifz.

mlsh27
08-08-2006, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
He wasn't calling your statement ignorant. Look at the context of his post. He was calling the very statement you argue against ignorant.

And I don't get where you get the notion that muslims are anti-science. I don't know if you've noticed, but who do you think came up with all of these advancements like algebra (In arabic= Al-Jabr) and astronomy?
I am not saying all Muslims, just several from the forum.

Woodrow
08-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Sometimes it is not that the person is against science. More often I would suspect it is because many of us tend to generalise and stereotype Scientists as being anti-religion. Often we fall into the trap of thinking that science is the religion of non-believers and forget that Truth is truth no matter where it is found.

Just as there have been false prophets, science has had it's share of false scientists.

syilla
08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
we should make the muslims scientist as an ideal example ...not the non-muslims one...(we can learn from them or respect them...but not as an idol)

*please correct me if i'm wrong...

mlsh27
08-08-2006, 06:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
we should make the muslims scientist as an our idol...not the non-muslims one...(we can learn from them or respect them...but not as an idol)
In Islam, we shouldn't have any idols! We can look up to people, but should never idolize them.

syilla
08-08-2006, 07:09 AM
can you please explain the meaning of an idol...sorry of my bad english...

syilla
08-08-2006, 07:11 AM
oh okay...hehehe now i know...

idol = image of eity used as object of worship hehehe...

not idol...something else maybe i should check the thesaurus.

sorry my bad...

i'll try to edit it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.