/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Despatches - What Muslims Want?

azim
08-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Asalaamu alaykum.

Did anyone watch the show? What were your views on it?

My opinion is that Jon Snow did a decent job - as far as middle-class White non-Muslim can convey the opinons of immigrant foreign working class Muslims anyway. :P

My three main criticisms of the show would be: -

1) Jon Snow states that the consensus of Muslims believing that there are limits on freedom of speech goes DIRECTLY against the British morals of undiluted 'freedom of speech'.

This is false. British morality and law holds limits to freedom of speech - incitement to racial hatred being an example, and the recent objection to showing a picture of Princess Diana before she was about to die is another example.

So this so called 'huge' class is really quite small and easy to solve - agree on what the limits of freedom of speech are between Muslims and non-Muslims.

For the mainpart, these restrictions are areas of taboo and common sense rather than legalities so its just understanding each other that will solve this.

2)Jon Snow seemed to convey the idea that the more a Muslim becomes isolated from non-Muslims, the more he/she will agree with 7/7 and other terrorist attacks.

Although I agree isolation isn't what Muslims need to be doing, I don't see the link this has with wanting to kill innocent people on buses :S.

3)He stated that intergration has stopped.

He stated himself that Muslims are so well intergrated (2nd/3rd and 4th gen) but also quite distanced from aspects of British culture and morality.

It is not a case that we have stopped intergrating, its more a case that Muslims are re-defining the British identity they hold into one that suits their religion.

I will accept parts of British culture I like or are not in contradiction with Islam (tea, understatements, dress etc...) and reject those which are in contradiction with Islam (binge drinking, fornication etc...).

Other smaller criticisms would be regarding the 'opinions' presented - I know plenty of non-Muslims who believe 9/11 was inside job - and plenty think Diana was assasinated (for different reasons than the Muslims stated but there are still plenty of conspiracy theories). I think this reflects British culture assimilated by Muslims.

Anyway, thats my rant over.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslimah_here
08-08-2006, 10:16 AM
:sl:
YES brother I watched it! well as always they only bring on Tv mainly those muslims that arent representative of majority of muslims and some couldnt even reply back with a decent answer, the basic thing those muslim could have said like the lietral meaning of islam which means "peace" I think they should bring in well renowned scholars like DR.Zakir Naik, and Yusuf Estes, and revert muslims like Yvonne Ridley (comes on islam channel) etc Who have the knowledge and the wisdom of conveying the message of islam in an appropirate way and who know how to reply back to typical questions fired back at an average muslims, most muslims dont know how to reply back to those questions with wisodm from Quraan and Hadeeths I admit even I myself wouldnt be a suitable candidate for doing so as there are so many things that I came to know about in the last few years and still need to lean a lot more INSHALLAH.

may ALLAH help us all in become true muslims and the most simplest way of sperading good image of islam is through our character which shold be in accordance ot Quraan and Sunnah.

FI-AMNALLAH

Rabi'ya
08-08-2006, 10:19 AM

yup, saw it! mashAllah a gud representation on the whole. i dont think Muslims need to integrate any more. why the focus on integration constantly? as long as we can live in harmony with our neighbours without too many problems, then whts the issue?

I thought the programme was well done, although perhaps some more regular programmes like this would help the non-Muslim general public to understand.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

aamirsaab
08-08-2006, 10:23 AM
I saw the advert and I was like....er what?!

Saw the program and it rocked. It was well presented and there weren't any of those crazy fools on it - which is really good. I'm really glad it showed the other side to muslims that the media usually doesn't show.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
We don't need sharia law here, plenty of countries that implement it if that's your cup of tea!

Hijaabi22
08-08-2006, 11:31 AM
I saw it was a top prograamme

Muezzin
08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
The best part about it was seeing Jon Snow's funky socks.

Rabi'ya
08-08-2006, 12:04 PM
loooool, so someone else noticed too. i pointed it out to my husband and mother in law. she was laughingsoo much.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

InToTheRain
08-08-2006, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
We don't need sharia law here, plenty of countries that implement it if that's your cup of tea!
To my knowledge there are not any countries which implement the full shariah law. If was one it would be known as an Islamic state(Khilafah) and there isn't one at present time.

scentsofjannah
08-08-2006, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Asalaamu alaykum.

Did anyone watch the show? What were your views on it?

My opinion is that Jon Snow did a decent job - as far as middle-class White non-Muslim can convey the opinons of immigrant foreign working class Muslims anyway. :P

My three main criticisms of the show would be: -

1) Jon Snow states that the consensus of Muslims believing that there are limits on freedom of speech goes DIRECTLY against the British morals of undiluted 'freedom of speech'.

This is false. British morality and law holds limits to freedom of speech - incitement to racial hatred being an example, and the recent objection to showing a picture of Princess Diana before she was about to die is another example.

So this so called 'huge' class is really quite small and easy to solve - agree on what the limits of freedom of speech are between Muslims and non-Muslims.

For the mainpart, these restrictions are areas of taboo and common sense rather than legalities so its just understanding each other that will solve this.

2)Jon Snow seemed to convey the idea that the more a Muslim becomes isolated from non-Muslims, the more he/she will agree with 7/7 and other terrorist attacks.

Although I agree isolation isn't what Muslims need to be doing, I don't see the link this has with wanting to kill innocent people on buses :S.

3)He stated that intergration has stopped.

He stated himself that Muslims are so well intergrated (2nd/3rd and 4th gen) but also quite distanced from aspects of British culture and morality.

It is not a case that we have stopped intergrating, its more a case that Muslims are re-defining the British identity they hold into one that suits their religion.

I will accept parts of British culture I like or are not in contradiction with Islam (tea, understatements, dress etc...) and reject those which are in contradiction with Islam (binge drinking, fornication etc...).

Other smaller criticisms would be regarding the 'opinions' presented - I know plenty of non-Muslims who believe 9/11 was inside job - and plenty think Diana was assasinated (for different reasons than the Muslims stated but there are still plenty of conspiracy theories). I think this reflects British culture assimilated by Muslims.

Anyway, thats my rant over.

bravo! couldnt agree more with you brother :)

scentsofjannah
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
my Sikh brother you have to realise..they implement it in a twisted way and then they mix it with their culture and have the world think they 'implement' sharia in it entirety.

i wouldnt want to live in those countries eg.SaudiArabia or Iran...the only countries who claim to implement Sharia Law

aamirsaab
08-08-2006, 07:14 PM
The countries that were close to full sharia law were stopped. e.g Afghanistan. So to say that there are plenty of countries that implement sharia law, is simply not correct.

In anycase, Sharia law would only work properly if the people voted it in. If LI is any representation of a large amount of people, it's quite clear that Sharia law is not going to be implemented.

But then again, no forum could represent an entire continent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.