Late Monday evening IAF fighters struck targets in a Hizbullah-controlled neighborhood of Beirut. Security officials at the scene reported at least five dead and 20 others wounded.
Earlier in the day, Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Saniora said only one person had died in an earlier Israeli air raid on the southern village of Houla, reversing his earlier claim that 40 were killed there.
Saniora reportedly broke into tears during opening remarks appealing to Arab League foreign ministers for help, saying that 40 had died in Houla. A security official later said there were about 30 people trapped and the death toll was not known.
The security official, who spoke anonymously, said rescue workers at the scene were trying to reach survivors who were calling out for help. He believed that among those trapped, more were alive than dead.
Local television stations reported rescuers had pulled out 65 survivors, including 35 children, from under the rubble.
Saniora disclosed the attack in the village, where heavy ground fighting between Hezbollah guerrillas and Israeli has been raging in recent days, in an impassioned opening address to a hastily convened meeting of Arab foreign ministers who met in Beirut to show solidarity with Lebanon's government and people who have been under intensive Israeli airstrikes since July 12.
Syria's foreign minister, Walid Moallem, abruptly walked out of the meeting Monday. While leaving, he refused to answer reporters' questions.
The reason for his departure was not immediately clear.
On Sunday, Moallem told reporters that "Syria is ready for the possibility of a regional war" if Israel attacks his country.