/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The four imams view on music

IbnAbdulHakim
08-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Saying of the Imams Regarding Music

Imam Abu Hanifa:
The Madhab of Imam Abu Hanifa is among the most critical and harshest quotes on music. Imam Abu Hanifa's students clearly declared musical instruments haram and anyone who listens to it is considered a fasiq whose testimony is not accepted.

Some went on to say that listening to music is fisq (astray) and enjoying it is kufr. They used weak hadith to support that statement.

They also said one must strive not to listen to it if he passes by it or if its near him.

Abu Yusuf, one of Abu Hanifa's most famous teachers, said, "A house that music is heard from can be raided without permission because ordaining the good and forbidding the evil is fard, and if we require permission for entry in such situation then people would not be able to perform the fard of forbidding the evil."
Imam Malik:
Imam Malik (rahimahu Allah) was asked about those who play the drums and flute and those who enjoy listening to it as one passes by.

He said one must get up and leave unless he is sitting for something extremely urgent or cannot get up. If he hears it in his pathway then he should go back or speed forward.

He said music is something the fusooq (astray) do.

Ibn Abdal Bar (rahimahu Allah) said scholars agree by ijma3 on the issue of riba, that the dowry of the prostitution is taking payment for weeping over the dead, forturne tellers those who claim to know unforeseen and news of the skies, musical instruments, and all wrongful play.

Imam Shafi'i:
His students and those truly knowledgeable of his madhab clearly declared music and musical instruments haram and denied that he ever said it was halal.

The author of "Kifayat al Akbar", who is a Shafi'i scholar, considered musical instruments an evil that needed to be forbidden upon those who hear or see it. He said that a person is not excused if scholars who go with the flow are present (make a fatwa for it) or if they are poor (meaning the Sufis as that was one of their names back then). Because they are ignorant followers of everyone who barks. They never follow the brightness of knowledge but bend to every wind.

Imam Ahmad:
Imam Ahmad's son, Abdullah, asked his father about music. His father said, "It grows hypocrisy within one's heart and I dislike it." And, then he said Imam Maliks quote that only fusooq (astray) do it.

Ibn Qudamah, who is considered among the biggest Imam of the Hanbali Madhabs, said, "Musical instruments are haram like guitar, trumpets, flutes, drums and so on. Whoever continues to listen to it, his testimony is rejected.
And then he goes on to say, "If one goes to a wedding with prohibition like alcohol musical instrument and can forbid evil then he must otherwise he should not attend."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
chacha_jalebi
08-08-2006, 07:08 PM
good post bro :D:D:D:D

Umm Yoosuf
08-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Please visit Languages Forum if you wish to practise foreign language speaking otherwise still to the topic and English please :)

Samee
08-09-2006, 01:47 AM
:sl:

And yet people continue to defend music to death...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
08-09-2006, 01:55 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
And yet people continue to defend music to death...
Of course. There may be some types of music that could be considered harmful, but I strongly believe that there is nothing at all wrong with music in general.

Abu Yusuf, one of Abu Hanifa's most famous teachers, said, "A house that music is heard from can be raided without permission because ordaining the good and forbidding the evil is fard, and if we require permission for entry in such situation then people would not be able to perform the fard of forbidding the evil."
That is just scary. Raiding someone's house is acceptable, but listening to music is not? Crazy.

Peace

Muslim Soldier
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Gibson, wether you like it or not, scientifically prove, music hazardous to ones health.

Malaikah
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
That is just scary. Raiding someone's house is acceptable, but listening to music is not? Crazy.
Please dont tell me that where you live police ask for the residents pernission before they raid his house?!

czgibson
08-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Gibson, wether you like it or not, scientifically prove, music hazardous to ones health.
Oh really? How then do you explain the success of music therapy?

Please dont tell me that where you live police ask for the residents pernission before they raid his house?!
No, but who said anything about the police? The author justifies raiding people's houses thus: "because ordaining the good and forbidding the evil is fard", which is an obligation for every Muslim, correct?

Peace

Muslim Soldier
08-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Gibson, there are different kinds of music. Some may be halal. The low tone soothing music, -(classical)- is good for one's health. But in todays age, very few people listen to that kind of music. Mostly rock,pop music is listened to which

1. Conveys a bad msg to the concious as well as the subconcious
2. Is bad for health

They need a search warrant.

czgibson
08-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Gibson, there are different kinds of music.
You don't need to tell me that! I've got an enormous music collection.

The low tone soothing music, -(classical)- is good for one's health.
Music therapists use all kinds of music - not just classical.

But in todays age, very few people listen to that kind of music.
Absolute nonsense. Millions of people do, attending classical performances in countless concert halls around the world.

Mostly rock,pop music is listened to which

1. Conveys a bad msg to the concious as well as the subconcious
Does it? Any evidence that all rock and pop music does this?

2. Is bad for health
Again, any evidence for this?

Peace

Muslim Soldier
08-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Absolute nonsense. Millions of people do, attending classical performances in countless concert halls around the world.
Of the billions living in the world. What IS the ratio?

Regarding being bad for health, I will get some solid evidence for you.

Conveying bad msg.

Let us see what rock music tell us.
1. Have sex
2. Get women
3. Kill
4. Fight
5. Dress immodestly

hanifi
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
music is the most unrealistic thing in the world...darn idiots listen to music. if music gives you happiness you need to see a psychiatrist my friend.

Umm Yoosuf
08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
The same issue is almost always discussed when a thread regarding music is created :argue:

As with all threads on music

:threadclo

Visit this link for more detials.
http://www.islamicboard.com/405605-post2.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.