/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 9th August-1945: Atom bomb hits Nagasaki-61 years on

afriend
08-09-2006, 03:20 AM
1945: Atom bomb hits Nagasaki
American forces have dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki - the second such attack on Japan in three days.
The bomb was dropped by parachute from an American B29 Bomber at 1102 local time.

It exploded about 1,625 ft (500m) above the ground and is believed to have completely destroyed the city, which is situated on the western side of the Japanese island of Kyushu.

Ignorant of the contamination risks they were taking, they were bussed to Nagasaki for transfer to Okinawa

People's War memories »

In a statement issued from Guam, General Carl A Spaatz, Commander of the US Strategic Air Forces in the Pacific, said: "The second use of the atomic bomb occurred at noon, August 9, at Nagasaki.

"Crew members report good results. No further details will be available until the mission returns."

Important port

American airmen flying many miles from Nagasaki have said smoke from fires in the city was rising 50,000ft (15,240m).

Nagasaki is one of Japan's most important ports providing vital access to and from Shanghai.

Three days ago a similar device was dropped on the city of Hiroshima on Japan's largest island, Honshu.

The extent of the damage caused to Hiroshima is not yet known but Japanese broadcasts indicate that "enormous devastation" has been done.

No reaction to the Nagasaki attack has yet been given by Japan but pressure is growing on the country to surrender. Yesterday the USSR joined forces with the allies and declared war on Japan.

The Americans have also warned the Japanese people that further attacks of a similar nature will be made unless they petition their emperor to surrender.

More than three million leaflets were dropped over the country today from American aeroplanes warning the Japanese people that more atomic weapons would be used "again and again" to destroy the country unless they ended the war forthwith.

source:

bbc.co.uk/news

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
08-09-2006, 03:31 AM
That decision haunted Harry Truman for years. It is hard to say which is better, to blow up two cities or settle in for a long and bloody invasion of the Japanese mainland. After the heavy losses the U.S. military suffered in the European theater and the Pacific theater, it isn't hard to understand why he chose this route.

afriend
08-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Well.....I didn't post it up to debate what has passed, this is just for mere remembrance and as an awareness technique......And to remind us of what should never happen ever again

Keltoi
08-09-2006, 03:39 AM
I agree, hopefully we will never see another World War or another use of nuclear weapons.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
08-09-2006, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I agree, hopefully we will never see another World War or another use of nuclear weapons.
Hopefully never. Ameen.

i_m_tipu
08-09-2006, 03:43 AM
:sl:
Destroying cities in hours like a baby destroyed his doll

which may build in thousand years
which may contains billions of memories

all r gone with in couple of hours.........

but people of Japan never stop their daily life
they manage to forget such painful memories

and become a strongest slaves of American

Amazing think is that American known as a father of people's freedom

Reality is they slaved more people than any could count

When will these world of slavery will end

I must be called terrorist now. Bcoz my saying is terrorized American freedom of thinking.

Keltoi
08-09-2006, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu

I must be called terrorist now. Bcoz my saying is terrorized American freedom of thinking.
Well, I'm not going to use a fellow poster's thread, which was meant as a memorial, to get into a debate on this topic. However, I would suggest that the Japanese people would disagree with any suggestion they are "slaves" to anyone.

afriend
08-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Well, I'm not going to use a fellow poster's thread, which was meant as a memorial, to get into a debate on this topic. However, I would suggest that the Japanese people would disagree with any suggestion they are "slaves" to anyone.
That's ok....If there are some weird issues raised, then there's nothing to do but to clearify them....

Woodrow
08-09-2006, 04:59 AM
I was 5 years old at the time, and still remember it well. No body had any concept of what an Atomic bomb was and the 2 newspaper headlines where the first the average American heard about them.

At the time most people thought of it in terms similar to Dolittle's bombing runs over Tokyo. There was a considerable amount of celebration in the streets. It was seen that the war would soon be over.

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Yesterday, I watched the morning show on TV3, they were interviewing a Malaysian surviving the hiroshima bombing (he was a university student at Hiroshima that time). He said he thought that American bombed Hiroshima with thousands and thousands of bomb, because - VIRTUALLY the city was completely destroyed. Thanks to Allah, he and another Muslim from Brunei survived and can tell what happened - IT'S NOT GOOD. And in the same time Malaysian govt. considering using nuclear power for PEACEFUL PURPOSE.....

I'M AGAINST ANY USAGE OF NUCLEAR POWER IN MALAYSIA WHETHER IT FOR PEACEFUL PURPOSES... MAKE MALAYSIA NUCLEAR-FREE!!!!! :'( :'(

Dahir
08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I was 5 years old at the time, and still remember it well. No body had any concept of what an Atomic bomb was and the 2 newspaper headlines where the first the average American heard about them.

At the time most people thought of it in terms similar to Dolittle's bombing runs over Tokyo. There was a considerable amount of celebration in the streets. It was seen that the war would soon be over.
Why does this remind me of this old quote from You:

Don't feel bad Dahir, back in WW2 I wanted to go to Japan and become a Kamikaze Pilot. But, since I was only five years old my mother wouldn't let me cross the street to see if I could find a ride to Japan.
:D

Dahir
08-09-2006, 05:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Yesterday, I watched the morning show on TV3, they were interviewing a Malaysian surviving the hiroshima bombing (he was a university student at Hiroshima that time). He said he thought that American bombed Hiroshima with thousands and thousands of bomb, because - VIRTUALLY the city was completely destroyed. Thanks to Allah, he and another Muslim from Brunei survived and can tell what happened - IT'S NOT GOOD. And in the same time Malaysian govt. considering using nuclear power for PEACEFUL PURPOSE.....

I'M AGAINST ANY USAGE OF NUCLEAR POWER IN MALAYSIA WHETHER IT FOR PEACEFUL PURPOSES... MAKE MALAYSIA NUCLEAR-FREE!!!!! :'( :'(
You're a brave guy. You know, with China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea up your same alley. Kudos to you for putting down the nukes. :thumbs_up

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
You're a brave guy. You know, with China, Pakistan, India, and North Korea up your same alley. Kudos to you for putting down the nukes. :thumbs_up
I want Malaysia to use solar system........:p

Dahir
08-09-2006, 05:43 AM
One step at a time, Malaysia has a few decades before touching space.

Post #900!!

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 05:48 AM
One step at a time, Malaysia has a few decades before touching space.

Post #900!!
Actually we're sending our first astronaut next year (via Russian rocket) if I'm not mistaken.....

And we'll be using fuel from Palm trees to replace petroleum..... Which perhaps to be cheaper.....

snakelegs
08-09-2006, 05:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu

you can't let any opportunity go by without turning it into a platform for your hate, can you? what a cheap shot.
[S]Stop The Hate!!![/S]

Dahir
08-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Actually we're sending our first astronaut next year (via Russian rocket) if I'm not mistaken.....

And we'll be using fuel from Palm trees to replace petroleum..... Which perhaps to be cheaper.....
See that KEY word there?

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 05:51 AM
See that KEY word there?

You want us to build our own rocket? Hahahahahahah!!!!!!! They better build that bullet train from KL to Singapore as soon as possible!!!!

Dahir
08-09-2006, 05:53 AM
You want us to build our own rocket? Hahahahahahah!!!!!!! They better build that bullet train from KL to Singapore as soon as possible!!!!
I always ask this question!

You're always on at this time, and now its 12:52 Midnight for me and you always pop up at this same exact time every day, WHAT TIME IS IT THERE?

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I always ask this question!

You're always on at this time, and now its 12:52 Midnight for me and you always pop up at this same exact time every day, WHAT TIME IS IT THERE?
1:52 PM - IT'S SHINING BRIGHT OVER HERE!!!!:exhausted :exhausted

Dahir
08-09-2006, 06:01 AM
1:52 PM - IT'S SHINING BRIGHT OVER HERE!!!!:exhausted :exhausted
Oh! 11 Hours ahead, or behind...?

Anyhow, its been 61 years, and Woodrow still dreams about becoming a Kamikaze! :D

north_malaysian
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
11 hours AHEAD!!

Muezzin
08-09-2006, 10:40 AM
I hate nuclear weapons.

scentsofjannah
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
That decision haunted Harry Truman for years. It is hard to say which is better, to blow up two cities or settle in for a long and bloody invasion of the Japanese mainland. After the heavy losses the U.S. military suffered in the European theater and the Pacific theater, it isn't hard to understand why he chose this route.
nice justification of the bombing of all those innocents from a socalled follower of Jesus Christ

scentsofjannah
08-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Anyhow, its been 61 years, and Woodrow still dreams about becoming a Kamikaze! :D
dont be too quick to dismiss it like that..its sickening how heartless you've become over the weeks.

the effects of those bombs are still being felt, the air is polluted and children with birthdefects are still being born, more and more people are dying of cancers.

Geronimo
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
dont be too quick to dismiss it like that..its sickening how heartless you've become over the weeks.

the effects of those bombs are still being felt, the air is polluted and children with birthdefects are still being born, more and more people are dying of cancers.
Show me proof of that. If I was President at the time and knew what the outcome would be I'd do it again all over again.

Keltoi
08-09-2006, 04:17 PM
nice justification of the bombing of all those innocents from a socalled follower of Jesus Christ
You do like to bring up my religion in every response you make to my posts, and I would appreciate it if you would try some other method of debate. I didn't make justification for anything, my point was that regardless of Truman's decision, an awful lot of people were going to die. Truman, as president of the United States, chose a route that would end the war and save many thousands of American lives. Which most experts agree, also saved many thousands of Japanese lives. My point was the gravity of his decision and the two sides he had to struggle with in making that decision.

afriend
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
War is bitter times, times of pressure and desperation......Some things done may be under pressure, but should always be thought out better....That's what makes a good leader, if he fails to remain strong under pressure, he wasn't a good leader then was he?

Anyway, I would like to call that final....no more debates here please...I know of many who will go against this....

Dahir
08-09-2006, 09:16 PM

Is that on the topic of Nagasaki or my pro-Israeli view?

scentsofjannah
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
Show me proof of that. If I was President at the time and knew what the outcome would be I'd do it again all over again.

See you should never drink on an empty head.

scentsofjannah
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
You do like to bring up my religion in every response you make to my posts, and I would appreciate it if you would try some other method of debate. I didn't make justification for anything, my point was that regardless of Truman's decision, an awful lot of people were going to die. Truman, as president of the United States, chose a route that would end the war and save many thousands of American lives. Which most experts agree, also saved many thousands of Japanese lives. My point was the gravity of his decision and the two sides he had to struggle with in making that decision.
Yes i do refer to you as 'Christian' Keltoi for the following reason I have never understood why Evangelical Christians are so pro-war and why they vehemently support nuclear proliferation...if I'm going to compare you with anyone it would be Jesus..Jesus the one who said 'turn the other cheek' ..i think im saddened to say i note more differences between you both than similarities.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children
of God. [Matthew 5:9] Resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to
him the other also. [Matthew 5:39] I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you,
do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despite-fully use you, and persecute you;
[Matthew 5:44]

You mentioned you're a Capitalist.

In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle,
sheep and doves and other sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords,
and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money
changers and overturned their tables. [John 2:14 & 15.] Watch out! Be on your guard against all
kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. [Luke 12.15.]
Truly, I say unto you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. [Matthew 19:23]
You cannot serve both God and Money. [Matthew 6:24.]

Nuclear Weapons, Land Mines donot discriminate..yet you see to think they are a legitimate way of defending your country--Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy [Matthew 5:7] But if ye forgive
not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. [Matthew 6:15]

America cannot hold on to its nuclear weapons and then demand others stop seeking it--If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to cast a stone at her.[John 8:7] Do not judge, lest you too be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be
judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. [Matthew 7:1 & 2.]

Thou shalt not kill [Matthew 5:21]

I have come to a conclusion..you and Jesus Christ are poles apart...how do you reconcile your beliefs with the beliefs and teachings of Jesus Christ?

Keltoi
08-10-2006, 02:04 AM
First of all, I'm not "pro-war". Second of all, I'm not the President of the United States. I wish nuclear technology had never been discovered, but the cat is out of the bag now, and nothing will ever put it back. You don't know anything about me, so the only person you should judge in comparison to Jesus Christ is yourself.
Yes, I am a capitalist, because it is the best economic system in my mind. Utopian visions are one thing, but a reality with capitalism is much better than a reality in some other economic system or lack thereof. As for the judgement of God on my capitalist tendencies, that is between God and myself, not you. If you want to debate a topic, use reason and common sense, not comparisons to Jesus Christ.

north_malaysian
08-10-2006, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I hate nuclear weapons.
[BANANA]SAY NO TO NUKES! SAY NO TO WMDs! SAY NO TO SUICIDE BOMBINGS![/BANANA]

i_m_tipu
08-10-2006, 06:26 AM
[BANANA]SAY NO TO NUKES! SAY NO TO WMDs! SAY NO TO SUICIDE BOMBINGS![/BANANA]
What about gun, Grenade, bullet, sword all the material which can be called weapon.

oh no sword must be removed from the list. it was used by Prophets

all weapon using gunpowder must be banned.

i_m_tipu
08-10-2006, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
you can't let any opportunity go by without turning it into a platform for your hate, can you? what a cheap shot.
[S]Stop The Hate!!![/S]
what is workable soluation

Billions of people were protested during the time of war on iraq and afgan declared by american.

were those billions peoples(including lot of their own people) saying honored
could those billions peoples(including lot of their own people) saying stop anyting

people tried all the thing of their level best. nothing would working when the power on the hand of some sectarian leaders.

hate: yes i do hate who commited crime and talking flase and has no care whatsoever of peoples saying.

that is only thing i have to react.

wilberhum
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I have never understood why Evangelical Christians are so pro-war
I have never understood why fundimental Muslims are so pro-war.

scentsofjannah
08-10-2006, 09:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I have never understood why fundimental Muslims are so pro-war.
do they go and decide to invade countries? and tell them to embrace their ideologies? no..ofcourse there are the attacks here and there but thats largely concentrated on an already unstable area..ie the middleeast.

war is the key word here.

the way i see it both religions have been hijacked...in America the Evangelical christians are the mainstream whereas most of the worlds christians think they're just a bunch of nutters..Mainstream muslims are not extreme thank God.

Fishman
08-10-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't want to go on another pro-nuclear power rant, but renewable energy sources don't work. My dad said this, and he's a professor at the British Geological Society.
I think that the only way we can stop global warming is through nuclear power, biom*** fuel, and some renewable sources as well. but renewable on it's own is useless.
:w:

wilberhum
08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
do they go and decide to invade countries? and tell them to embrace their ideologies? no..ofcourse there are the attacks here and there but thats largely concentrated on an already unstable area..ie the middleeast.

war is the key word here.

the way i see it both religions have been hijacked...in America the Evangelical christians are the mainstream whereas most of the worlds christians think they're just a bunch of nutters..Mainstream muslims are not extreme thank God.
do they go and decide to invade countries? and tell them to embrace their ideologies?
Some sure do.
the way i see it both religions have been hijacked
Now there is a point that I'm in total agreement with. And also with
Mainstream muslims are not extreme and neither are Mainstream Christians extreme.
It is nice to see someone I agree with. (It is a rare occurance)

scentsofjannah
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
do they go and decide to invade countries? and tell them to embrace their ideologies?
Some sure do.
the way i see it both religions have been hijacked
Now there is a point that I'm in total agreement with. And also with
Mainstream muslims are not extreme and neither are Mainstream Christians extreme.
It is nice to see someone I agree with. (It is a rare occurance)
Good! :D

Muezzin
08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Um, what does all this talk of hijacked religions have to do with Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Please stick to the topic. :)

scentsofjannah
08-11-2006, 03:46 PM
okies:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.