/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting to suppress nafs - but parents.....

AnonymousPoster
08-09-2006, 07:12 AM
:sl:
I wanted to start fasting to keep my nafs under check, but I am afraid what my parents will say. Like...they'll say "Why are you fasting for?" I come from a family where marriage and those kinds of issues are basically never ever mentioned. If someone does mention stuff like this - I'd hate to think of the chaos and pandemonium that would happen.
I know wanting to marry is only natural, but some cultures (:raging: ) consider it disrespectful to say anything about marriage and similar issues.
I was wondering what I could say to my parents? Should I keep the fasting a secret?

Jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
08-09-2006, 07:31 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

tell them you are fasting for the sake of Allah, knowing it will bring you closer to your creator.

aint lying is it?

then later on you can try to find ways of bringing marriage up as a subject casually in the conversation.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

Muslim Soldier
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
tell them the truth. Fasting to control the nafs. They will understand. Inshallah.

DigitalStorm82
08-10-2006, 06:01 AM
fast monday and thursdays...

its sunnah as well..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Quruxbadaan
08-10-2006, 06:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I wanted to start fasting to keep my nafs under check, but I am afraid what my parents will say. Like...they'll say "Why are you fasting for?" I come from a family where marriage and those kinds of issues are basically never ever mentioned. If someone does mention stuff like this - I'd hate to think of the chaos and pandemonium that would happen.
I know wanting to marry is only natural, but some cultures (:raging: ) consider it disrespectful to say anything about marriage and similar issues.
I was wondering what I could say to my parents? Should I keep the fasting a secret?

Jazakallah.
Asalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi

I know what you mean about the uncomfortable situation when trying to discuss marriage with family

but for me what works is gradually implying things regarding marriage

like hey mother did you know that so and so got married today

masha allah they are soo young but they did it to avoid sinning

isint that great???
and just test the watters see what they say when you make small implications

May allah make this easy on you Ameen

Maa salaama

lyesh
08-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Tell them the truth. And tell them that you are doing this for Allah. And that you should obey Him before obeying them. Obey Allah first... Then u'll succeed!

~Stranger~
09-03-2006, 11:21 AM
tell them its for the sake of Allah.... whats the big deal?!

Ummu Sufyaan
09-06-2006, 06:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender

Jazakallah.
:sl: why do you have to tell your parents for. unless you all eat together, then they would notie that your not there. thats unterstandable

ymijunooni
09-07-2006, 04:47 AM
I don't know how old are you, if you are old enough just talk to them about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.