/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is the world Imploding?

Dahir
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
This is going to be a simple thread, but here it goes:

Is it just me or is the world just blowing itself apart?

Nations used to have meaningful names, but it seems as if the more time goes by, the more nations' names are turned into war titles.

Vietnam was once known for its tropics and world-renowned tourist industry, but today, it is nothing more than a war that happened.

Iraq was once a flourishing Middle Eastern cosmopolitan, until the late 80's, and to add insult to injury, its attempts to once again be known as a cosmo nation turned sour in 2003. Now Iraq is a war, not a country.

This list was irrelevant until it struck my mind with Lebanon. I swear it, in May this year, I was hoping of one day visiting the tiny country, especially Beirut. And look now, its a war, not even a country.

Today, we say, oh well, its history. Mark my words; Iran today is a country, but tomorrow it'll be the title of another forgotten war, down the road.

This putrid list is chock full of tiny once-flourishing nations; Bosnia, Afghanistan, Somalia, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Panama, ooooooh, that list is terrible!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lavikor201
08-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Good post. its true.

ManchesterFolk
08-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Vietnam was know for tourism? lol.

Keltoi
08-10-2006, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Hmmm....must have missed that part about Vietnam's vibrant tourist industry.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
08-10-2006, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Actually it is...... saigon is should be the most beautiful city in southeast asia, because of french architecture and town planning ... but now...?

I would like to visit Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Palestine and Turkey. Mediterranean countries are beautiful...

Dahir
08-10-2006, 04:36 AM
Read here:

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Actually it is...... saigon is should be the most beautiful city in southeast asia, because of french architecture and town planning ... but now...?

I would like to visit Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Palestine and Turkey. Mediterranean countries are beautiful...

Najiullah
08-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Good post :) thanks bro

Woodrow
08-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Keep in mind not too long back Saigon was called the "Pearl of the Orient". Back in the old days of Indo China, Vietnam was a tourist center.

Dahir
08-10-2006, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Keep in mind not too long back Saigon was called the "Pearl of the Orient". Back in the old days of Indo China, Vietnam was a tourist center.
Yeah, and before the attack on Vietnam by the US, many English families were there, not only for business, but it served for many European aristocrats as a tropical second home.

Woodrow
08-10-2006, 05:31 AM
The US involvement in Viet nam goes back a long ways. To the days it was French IndoChina. It was a long winding road that eventualy led to the US involvement. Began with defending Indo-China from Japan in WW2, then when Vietnam gained independance it was working to help them establish their own military force. Sadly, later on it ended up as a conflict that should have been a civil war without outside intervention.

Dahir
08-10-2006, 05:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The US involvement in Viet nam goes back a long ways. To the days it was French IndoChina. It was a long winding road that eventualy led to the US involvement. Began with defending Indo-China from Japan in WW2, then when Vietnam gained independance it was working to help them establish their own military force. Sadly, later on it ended up as a conflict that should have been a civil war without outside intervention.
The US had to intervene to protect its banks and capitalist interests in that entire region of the world. The risk in civil war is that the chances of loss for the South Vietnamese were heightened. The US, with that much money invested in the region, couldn't risk it, so the invasion began - and it didn't go well.

Woodrow
08-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Looking back at Vietnam, if it wasn't for the fact that so many died needlessly, it would have been the biggest comedy of all time. It would have been a fantastic "Keystone Kop Komedy". There was so much misinformation and so many cases of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing, it defies imagination.

A chain reaction of undefined goals, misinformation combined with an unidentified cause in an unkown region. To paraphrase Chuchill's discription of Russia.

"An enigma wrapped in a riddle and surrounded by a mystery"

For those of us who where there, we just want to understand why. To those who where not there, be thankful you weren't.

north_malaysian
08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
Yeah, and before the attack on Vietnam by the US, many English families were there, not only for business, but it served for many European aristocrats as a tropical second home.
I thinks there are more French than the English in Saigon.... however there were lots of Malays, Yemenis, Chinese, Filipinos and Indians too.

Aznan
08-10-2006, 08:31 AM
That thought did cross my mind..'

I shudder to think is this just a precursor to something...?

I sincerely hope that this is not the case.

Dahir
08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aznan
That thought did cross my mind..'

I shudder to think is this just a precursor to something...?

I sincerely hope that this is not the case.
It is the CASE!

The world will no longer be a place to live.

Earth will one day, not far off, be designated for battle alone.

LOOK AT THE WORLD!!

There's conflict EVERYWHERE!! OH MY GOD!! I never thought to think of that! :laugh:

KAding
08-10-2006, 09:25 AM
The world is not imploding. Actually, I think the number of wars is actually in decline after a peak in the 1990's with its many civil conflicts.

Here's a interesting list of all wars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ongoing_wars

Dahir
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
That list has forgotten the Chechen/Russian conflict, the Quebecois issue (although not armed), the ongoing crisis' in Eurasia with clashing American/Russian/Chines interests, the conflicts in the former Zaire, Nigeria, East Timor, Tibet, much of South America, Mexican civil conflict.

That's just the TIP of the forgotten iceberg.

Not to mention that almost every nation on earth is on the verge of madness or collapse.

Europe's pro-immigration traditional Left will collide HARD with its traditional Ultra-Nationalist neo-Nazi-esque Conservatives; like the North Italian Vanguard.

Let's not forget America is corroding and civil conflict is not sci-fi anymore.

Canada with its Quebec conflict...that's heated.

I see a happy world on CNN, one with one or two major conflicts.

In reality, the ENTIRE globe is on the brink of internal destruction.

:peace:

i_m_tipu
08-10-2006, 09:40 AM
yes it's interesting

i m afraid the red circle might grow in the middle east.
abuse of every civil right happaing there.

so sad......so sad

KAding
08-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Hmm, it appears I was somewhat mistaken.
http://www.konfliktbarometer.de/en/b...ometer2005.pdf

Note that 'low intensity conflicts' also includes stuff like the 2005 Paris riots :D. Low intensity means 'non-violent' conflicts which are 'manifest' or 'latent'.

Good news is the number of state vs. state conflicts are somewhat down. Civil strife within countries seems on the rise though :(.

The number of coup d'etats is down though, so still some good news!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.