/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Labelling a Muslim player a "terrorist"

Najiullah
08-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Cricketer-turned-commentator Jones was sacked Tuesday by his TV employers for calling a South African Muslim player a terrorist during the second and final Test in Colombo.
"The terrorist has got another wicket," Jones said on Monday when bearded Hashim Amla took a catch to dismiss Sri Lankan batsman Kumar Sangakkara on the fourth day of the Test.
"You have to be careful about what you say and think if it's likely to hurt anyone. So choice of words is very important," Laxman Sivaramakrishnan, former India leg-spinner and current commentator, told the Times of India on Wednesday.
"This was an unfortunate incident, because knowing Deano he did not mean any offence. It's a basic human error."
Noted commentator Harsha Bhogle said TV experts have to be more careful of what they say and should assume that the microphone is always on.
"There will be some network somewhere who will be on live even when there is a break. We have directional microphone too, so we have to be very careful," said Bhogle, who has been commentating on the game for more than a decade.
"Sometimes producers do tell us that it is leaking, be careful. I have made up my mind not to swear even when not on air."
Jones, 45, appeared to suggest there was an element of bad luck to the affair.
"There was only one country in the world that didn't take the ad break live and that was South Africa. It was picked up by a few viewers," he said after arriving in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Former India Test batsman Arun Lal said it just one of those things when Jones probably tried to sound witty.
"It's a very unfortunate incident," said Lal. "Knowing the gentleman I am sure he did not mean it. It was just a mistake. I am sure Deano himself would have been embarrassed with what has happened."
Former Test all-rounder Madan Lal said experts should make no personal comments, especially against religion.
"Producers anyway warn us from making comments against individuals," said Lal, a member of the 1983 World Cup-winning squad.
"Luckily, in my experience I have not made or heard such remarks from my co-commentators. However, mistakes do happen and some pay a big price for it, like Jones."
Jones said he had written a full-page apology to Amla and the South African team, as well as saying sorry to the bowler directly.
"I got hold of Hashim Amla and I spoke to him for a certain amount of time. I gave him my sincerest apologies and he was gracious enough to accept it," said Jones, who sacked after a complaint from Cricket South Africa chief executive Gerald Majola.
Jones earlier told reporters in Colombo that he respected the Muslim faith.
He played 52 Tests and 164 one-day internationals for Australia between 1984 and 1994 and was named the Wisden cricketer of the year in 1990.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cihad
08-10-2006, 02:53 PM
i really admire him.
he stands up for his deen, he refused to have the emblem of the alcoholic drink printed on his shirt

asiya45
08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
:sl:
I cant beleive how this whole world is against muslims...even in soccer the italian dude said cruel things abt Zinedine Zidane' mother and sister http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ce/5174758.stm
...they are all jus gonna be forgiven... if it was a muslim doing that they whole world be at shock [MAD]we arnt human?[/MAD]
:(
:w:

Joe98
08-11-2006, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asiya45
I cant believe how this whole world is against muslims.....
The world doesn't see you doing good deeds.

You can't tell us of any good deeds because if we are neighbors:

- You can't come to my house because a woman MIGHT be present (my wife).

- You can't come to a party because another guest MIGHT bring alchahole and drink it with 10 meters of yourself

- You can't come to any gathering held in December because we athiests might connect it to a religious celebration.

- If you or your children participate in sport you can't come to a end of season gathering because some people might bring sausages and SOME of these MIGHT have pork and eat it within 10 meters of yourself. Or maybe no pork. You don't know.

And so it goes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Looking4Peace
08-11-2006, 01:31 AM
[BANANA] dont exagerate, some might be this way but not all[/BANANA]

Joe98
08-11-2006, 02:06 AM
I asked on this forum and those are the responses.

Looking4Peace
08-11-2006, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HusamLah
i think the really devout and good people are like this
yea maybe i visit my friends house who are non muslim but i dont eat oscar meyer and mad cow haram mooooooooooo:D

mysterious
08-11-2006, 02:21 AM
I go to my neighbors house(non muslims) and they are more then welcome at my house

" If you or your children participate in sport you can't come to a end of season gathering because some people might bring sausages and SOME of these MIGHT have pork and eat it within 10 meters of yourself. Or maybe no pork. You don't know"

what does 10 meters have to do with anything and i would go and just stay away from the haram stuff

asiya45
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM
[S] I would stay far away from the haram food. [/S]

shariq_0189
08-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Yeh i knw^..lol
u juss exagerrated wat 'U THINK " Islam is. u said what thts wat the ppl say on this forum, dont care about wat the ppl say here, u cant judge ur belief about islam or any religon, on the basis of its imperfect followers, look at and learn wat the religon actually teaches. i might sound rude , but bro im not trying to. forgive me if i offened u. salaam. May allah give u hidyah.

i_m_tipu
08-12-2006, 05:13 AM
peace Joe98
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
The world doesn't see you doing good deeds.

You can't tell us of any good deeds because if we are neighbors:

- You can't come to my house because a woman MIGHT be present (my wife).

- You can't come to a party because another guest MIGHT bring alchahole and drink it with 10 meters of yourself

- You can't come to any gathering held in December because we athiests might connect it to a religious celebration.

- If you or your children participate in sport you can't come to a end of season gathering because some people might bring sausages and SOME of these MIGHT have pork and eat it within 10 meters of yourself. Or maybe no pork. You don't know.

And so it goes.
not clear what do u tiring to say.

What’s u understand the word doing good deeds? Share with us. I guess I love to see and reply ur opinion

well if u not study non-Muslim forum /culture than ..pls do study the following very known common matter
Study their behave
Study their way of talking
Study their way of respecting to parent
Study their way of respecting to elder
Study their way of respecting to woman/mahram(guardian)
Study their concern about the building right/clean character.

Now Compare that to Prophet Muhammad’s (SAW) teaching..
If u has any questions pls fell free to ask. There are lots of threads open to answer ur question/opinion.

u want to say not following ur culture is a bad deeds??

True Muslim tried their level best for not to Curse their heart/character/behave.
What bad deed u find there??

Again peace Joe98

Najiullah
08-19-2006, 08:51 AM
thank you for the tips

jazakAllah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.