/* */

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Muslims carrying “double burden”

sonz
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Reports of har***ment and discrimination against Muslims in the United States are growing, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). A recent USA TODAY/Gallup poll, which surveyed 1,007 Americans also shows strong anti-Muslim sentiments. Such hard feelings damage the mental health of American Muslims, according to new studies by the American Psychological ***ociation.

According to CAIR, reports of discrimination against Muslims sharply increased in the first six months after 9/11, fell in 2002, but climbed again after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. The number of ***ault or other discriminatory complaints filed with CAIR increased from 1,019 in 2003 to 1,972 in 2005, says Arsalan Iftikhar, national legal director.

"I don't think there's a Muslim out there who hasn't felt some kind of fallout from 9/11," says Jafar Siddiqui, 55, a real estate agent who has been a U.S. citizen for 20 years. "I myself have been invited to 'go home' at least once a month."

Another victim of har***ment is Motaz Elshafi, a 28-year-old software engineer, who received an email at work last month titled: "Dear Terrorist." The email has been sent to all Muslims working at Cisco Systems in Research Triangle Park, N.C., a few days after the Mumbai train bombings. It warned that such attacks wouldn’t intimidate people, but only make them stronger.

I was furious," says Elshafi. "What did I have to do with this violence?"

According to the USA TODAY/Gallup poll, 39% of those surveyed said they felt at least some prejudice against Muslims. Some even said that they want Muslims, including U.S. citizens, to carry a special ID “as a means of preventing terrorist attacks in the United States."

The survey also found that 22% wouldn’t want Muslims as neighbors.

”Double burden”

A new study, carried by psychologist Mona Amer of Yale University School of Medicine, suggests that there is a close relationship between hate feelings and the mental health of U.S. Muslims. About half of the 611 Arab Americans surveyed in the study had symptoms of clinical depression, compared with 20% in an average U.S. group, Amer says.

Moreover, the number of Arab-Americans and Muslims who seek mental health counseling have increased since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the U.S., Amer says. Also many imams report a surge in worshippers seeking help for anxiety and stress related to possible discrimination.

"I don't think Americans understand what's happened. Muslims have the same anxieties and anguish about terrorism as everyone else in the U.S. At the same time, they're being blamed for it. They're carrying a double burden,” Amer says.

The Iraq War also affects the mental health of many U.S. Muslims, according to psychologist Ibrahim Kira, who says that watching TV news about the war leads to post-traumatic stress disorder, high blood pressure, headaches and stomach trouble.

The war also creates special problems for Iraqi-Americans, although in general they share a key challenge with other Muslims: lack of trust from other Americans. According to a June Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, 54% Americans said they wouldn't vote for a Muslim president.

Muslim children “traumatized”

Researchers say those who get support from their friends are least vulnerable to becoming depressed due to bigotry. The most affected are children of recent Muslim immigrants, women who wear the Islamic headscarf, and Iraqi-Americans, according to reports from the psychological ***ociation.

Amelia Derr, the education director of Hate Free Zone Washington, an education and advocacy group, says that she had seen some Muslim children so traumatized by violent bigotry that she wonders whether they'll ever recover.

Last October, Derr says, a Seattle high school junior who had faced verbal har***ment was ***aulted in gym cl***. The boy suffered a hemorrhage behind his eye and a collapsed lung. "The good thing is that the student who did it was convicted of a hate crime,” she said.

But the beaten boy doesn’t want to go back to school, Derr says. "He's terrified. You can see how damaged he has been. He won't look you in the eye; he just shrinks back. He won't talk."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
hongi
08-11-2006, 06:32 AM
This is terrible. I know that people are scared, but lashing out against neighbours and strangers because of their religion? Ugh.

Inshallah
08-11-2006, 07:17 AM
I blame the media that give muslims a bad name. They brainwash the american people and in which this turns into hate crimes and har***ment.

KAding
08-11-2006, 08:34 AM
So sad :(. I'm finding it increasingly hard to optimistic about the prospect of peaceful coexistance between Muslims and Westerners within one society. There just seems to be so much mutual disrespect and even hate.

Oh btw, may I suggest someone at LI takes the time to remove 'a s s occiation' and 'a s sault' from the swear word filter? ;)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zulkiflim
08-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Salaam,

I think all this resentment by muslim and saying..What does this have to do with me personally.

and they as an individual have to ask themselves,why am i to be blamed for the actions of others?

But you must ask yourself,isnt that what is ahppenign around the world?
Muslim are judged and condemned?
Collectively they are murdered and bombed and raped and still they ask WHY IS THIS HAPPENIG TO ME..

Is this our problem or those who create this mess.

so stand up for yourself and everyone in the ummah,
If i get a letter like Hello Terrorist,,,i would reply as you anme me i would name you back,as you desire to kill me ,in defence i will kill you first.

we muslim have been taking the brunt of the ahtred by the people who started this hate,and we take it lyign down too long.

Let them feel the repurcussion of their actions.If they think they can bully us due to their perception THEN WE CAN BULLY THEM VIA OUR PERCEPTION...self defence,as the US say is right.

So pls get with the program,tell them about palesitne and lebabon and serbia and everywhere else that is ahppening...i am sure you will get a reply ..WHAT HAS THAT GOT TO DO WITH ME..

syilla
08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
did anyone hear the latest bush speech that mentioned '"Our nation have been at war with this - "Islamist Fascist"..

could anyone post the review here...

Keltoi
08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
did anyone hear the latest bush speech that mentioned '"Our nation have been at war with this - "Islamist Fascist"..

could anyone post the review here...
I heard the speech and I can't say that I disagree with his characterization. Although I do get tired of him saying "they want to kill people because of our freedom", which I think is the dumbest statement to come out of his mouth(which is saying something). However, there can be little doubt that what the U.S., U.K., Spain, etc are facing is Islamic extremism. I say this not only because they proclaim their faith as a justification for their actions, but also because many of these people are radicalized in Western mosques. It is unfortunate that Muslims in the Western world have a spotlight on them, but not exactly shocking.

syilla
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
can you please post me the speech...(if you don't mind)

i don't have cnn here.... you cooperation is much appreciated.

KAding
08-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Here you go:
President Bush Discusses Terror Plot Upon Arrival in Wisconsin
Austin Straubel International Airport

Green Bay, Wisconsin

10:54 A.M. CDT

THE PRESIDENT: The recent arrests that our fellow citizens are now learning about are a stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists who will use any means to destroy those of us who love freedom, to hurt our nation.

I want to thank the government of Tony Blair and officials in the United Kingdom for their good work in busting this plot. I thank the officials in Washington, D.C. and around our country who gather intelligence and who work to protect the American people. The cooperation on this venture was excellent -- cooperation between U.K. and U.S. authorities and officials was solid. And the cooperation amongst agencies within our government was excellent.

This country is safer than it was prior to 9/11. We've taken a lot of measures to protect the American people. But obviously, we're still not completely safe, because there are people that still plot and people who want to harm us for what we believe in. It is a mistake to believe there is no threat to the United States of America. And that is why we have given our officials the tools they need to protect our people.

Travelers are going to be inconvenienced as a result of the steps we've taken. I urge their patience and ask them to be vigilant. The inconvenience is -- occurs because we will take the steps necessary to protect the American people.

Again, I appreciate the close cooperation between our government and the government of the United Kingdom. The American people need to know we live in a dangerous world, but our government will do everything we can to protect our people from those dangers.

Thank you.

END 10:56 A.M. CDT

syilla
08-11-2006, 05:21 PM
btw what is the meaning of islamic fascists...

sorry 4 my stupid quest.

wilberhum
08-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Fascism is a radical totalitarian political philosophy that combines elements of corporatism, authoritarianism, extreme nationalism, militarism, anti-anarchism, anti-communism and anti-liberalism.

So Islamic fascism would be a radical totalitarian political philosophy of authoritarianism, extreme militarism and anti-liberalism done in the name of Islam.

Not a stupid question. I had to look up definations to clearify my statement.

syilla
08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
thank you so much....

reps 4 u

lavikor201
08-13-2006, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah
I blame the media that give muslims a bad name. They brainwash the american people and in which this turns into hate crimes and har***ment.
A man walking into a Jewish community center Yelling "I am an angry Muslim" and shooting 7 women (1 pregnant) doesn't help either.

But I agree with the opinion that people should not judge all people on there religion because of 1 man.

Zulkiflim
08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
A man walking into a Jewish community center Yelling "I am an angry Muslim" and shooting 7 women (1 pregnant) doesn't help either.

But I agree with the opinion that people should not judge all people on there religion because of 1 man.

Salaam,

And we also dont judge untill Isrealis bomb and bomb and bomb and say PEACE PEACE PEACE......

then we say yes they do not want..PEACE..

they want peace for themselves..

so you must take the repurcussion of your action..

No Jews will ever be safe after this...

you can try to build wall as high as mountian but the fear and hatred in your heart will never go away,for the action you did to toehr you fear to be done to you

But Muslim will not create the greaters massacare of Jews,,the chrisitan will...that is their wish and their prophecy...

wilberhum
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
PEACE PEACE PEACE Isn't that Hezbollah said when they started the current conflict.

Cloe
08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
But Muslim will not create the greaters massacare of Jews,,the chrisitan will...that is their wish and their prophecy...
Where did you get this "prophecy"?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.