/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan and Eid tips for new Muslims

Fishman
08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
:sl:
Have you got any tips for new Muslims like me to avoid feeling really lonely and isolated during Eid and Ramadan?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
why don't you visit muslims country... that'll be nice?

are you allowed to travel alone?

Fishman
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
why don't you visit muslims country... that'll be nice?

are you allowed to travel alone?
I'm too young to travel alone that far! I'm only fourteen!

Umu 'Isa
08-11-2006, 02:21 PM
:sl: fishman,
i found it really hard to fast last ramadan. So what helps is if you know the reason why you are fasting, the rewards and benefits ect. So insha Allah if you read about it, it'll help.
Try and be around friends as much as possible, and keep yourself busy during the day. Maybe you could break your fast at the masjid? And on Eid jst go to the prayers and if possible go visit friends for the rest of the day insha Allah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Daffodil
08-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Asalamulaikum Bro

Remember that ur not the only one, n that so many ppl come to islam everysingle day n some dnt even have access to a masjid or muslim ppl etc, u sed ur from notts and alhumdulillah there are masjids n muslims all around. I suggest u spend as much time as u can around other muslims, do ur iftari in the masjid, try n put urself in touch with other muslims and new muslims. on eid go for eid salah n inshallah ur friends and brothers from the masjid will invite u to their house to eat n chill out, let the imam no u have no muslim family to spend eid with.

My husband is also a revert n he told me that ramadhan n eid can be lonely n he did feel lonely at times however wen he went to the masjid on eid every one was inviting him to their house n he had tonnes n tonnes of food because every one on eid just eats loads n loads n loads n literaly he had to push their hands away from their plates when they kept filling it in! lol

asian ppl can be like that, so inshallah dnt worry and remember that in the islamic culture when a person invites u to his house to eat they actually mean it, so dnt feel overwhelmed wen u get so many invites. as in the english culture wen ppl say come down to my house they tend to mean, ring me to make an appointment and even then only come for five mins etc.

also, im sure ur family will make it a special day for u n perhaps u can go out n celebrate it with them which wud be nice. also get them presents so they feel part of it even tho they aint muslims.

hope i helped a little inshallah.

n dnt forget im sure half of li will be here on eid day with nothing better to do so u can celebrate with them aswell!

Al-Zaara
08-11-2006, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil

n dnt forget im sure half of li will be here on eid day with nothing better to do so u can celebrate with them aswell!
Oh!? Now I feel hurt! Like if I wouldn't have anything better to do than sitting infront of the computere and visiting LI! ..........................................

........................ OK, well I don't think I have, but I could have............................. The chances are small, almost not existing but.... Oh, forget it. :p

Brother Fishman, listen to sister Daffodil's advice, go to the Masjid!! :D

syilla
08-11-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I'm too young to travel alone that far! I'm only fourteen!
sometimes i forgot u r 14.... you've look (the way u type) as if u already 40.

Anyway...in previous posts i know u've known some muslims members at your masjid, and also your muslim's schoolmate and also your grandfather's friend. You can visit them too...cause in islam during eid...it is good to visit others and ask for forgiveness.

And for Ramadhan...i advise you not to push yourself too much...

Have you tried to fast during this month? It is good if you can practice from now.

afriend2
08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Have you got any tips for new Muslims like me to avoid feeling really lonely and isolated during Eid and Ramadan?
Salaam,

Basically ( as LuLu has already stated) just keep in mind it is all for Allah ta'ala and his pleasure. A muslim, no matter what the situation can never be lonely.

A man was about to leave for Hajj and asked him (Omar R.A) to advise him. He said: 'Fear Allah, for whoever fears Him will never feel lonely.'

And since you know quite a few muslims, why don't you celebrate with them on Eid and also break your fast with them inshAllah. The masajids are always welcome to anyone!

Brother, how do your parents feel about you fasting? Just curious, cos some non-muslim parents don't always like their children fasting.

wassalam :peace:

Durrah
09-08-2006, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
as in the english culture wen ppl say come down to my house they tend to mean, ring me to make an appointment and even then only come for five mins etc.

your comment there made me laugh cos its soo true. Well with the english friends i know anyways. With my own people or other muslims as well, if some says come down, expect to be there for many hours ;D

p.s welcome back sis. I hope the little one is alright inshallah and brigtening up your day :)

Fish: You know the idea of some of my muslim bros and sisters being lonely at this partcilaur time of the year is one that gets me down because the buzz at this time of year is soo good and its great spending time with muslims. Its like the feeling that your family might get during christmas day, but for a whole month! :)

I definatly think you should go to the masjid as much as you can and spend the time with your muslim friends. Also, as sis daffodil said, get your own family involved. This is a great way of doing dawah to them and introducing them to islam, so by sharing ramadan with your family, inshallah your bringing your family closer together and they would be expriencing something new. Maybe you could see if you could all fast together for a week or so, that way you have your whole family expriencing it all and they could even come mosque with you!

I've had a few of my non muslims friends fast for a few days during ramadan, just out of curiosity and wanting to exprience something different and whilst they found it a bit hard, they throughly enjoyed the exprience.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.