/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did Muhammad (pbuh) see Allah?

QuranStudy
08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Salaam,

Did Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) see Allah? I though Allah cannot been seen, according to the Quran. Yet in other passages it says that Muhammad (pbuh) did see Allah (ex. Surah no. 81:15-29). There seems to be a contradiction.
Can anyone please explain this to be. Help will be greatly appreciated! Reps to anyone who answers.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
786rani
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
well the prophet was a v.special man so he probably did see allah.
rani

QuranStudy
08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
But wouldnt that be a contradiction if the Quran states that Allah is beyond vision and cannot be seen?

786rani
08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
no because we r ordinary people and the surah yv read means ordinary ppl(i think)
rani

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al-fateh
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
And Ibn Abbas said: “No vision can grasp him” in this life, and that the believers will see Him in the next life because Allah said so “That day will faces be resplendent, Looking toward their Lord” (Surah 75:22-23)

Reported on the authority of Ibn Abbas as well and he said: The meaning that the vision of the hearts cannot grasp Him, is that a person’s mind cannot grasp Him in order to comprehend Him. “There is none like unto him” (Surah 42:11) and he said: The meaning is that the visions created here on earth, however he can create for those who want his generosity a vision and comprehension in order to see Him just like he did for Muhammad peace be upon him.

Some of them said: The heart (of the Prophet) has seen the Lord of The Worlds and they said that He (God) made his vision in his heart so he saw him with his heart and he did not see him with his eyes.

So basically as we can see, it is possible to see God because it is even a promise that God has given to the believers that they will see him in the next life. However, in this life we cannot see him with our very eyes.

When the Prophet saw God, God could have easily made the Prophet a special vision in order to see Him. We cannot comprehend or understand how but God did. God gave the Prophet a special vision (in his heart) to see him. When God says that no vision can encompass him it is referring to the vision that we have (as in our eyes). However, all things are possible with God.

Now to the next question, did the Prophet Muhammad actually see God? I would have to admit that I and the scholars simply do not know. As we can see from the Hadiths and even the scholars admissions there were differences in opinion among the companions of the Prophet regarding whether the Prophet actually saw God or not. However, this has no effect on Islamic creed what so ever. The Prophet seeing his Lord or not actually does not make any difference to the Muslim. The main thing is that the companions agreed and were unanimous in the major pillars of Islam, which is the most important thing and our reason and hope for salvation. Regardless if the Prophet Muhammad saw God or not, does not affect Muslims in any way.

http://www.answering-christianity.co...n_rebuttal.htm

syilla
08-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Prophet Musa (pbuh) have seen Allah s.w.t

al-fateh
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Prophet Musa (pbuh) have seen Allah s.w.t
thats not true

when Allah revealed himself to Musa, he fainted from the overwhelming struck it had on him

and the mountain infront of Musa was flattened

that was pre said that Allah warned Musa that he will not be able to see him.

QuranStudy
08-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I think I found out where Sams Shamoun was wrong:

Shamoun: If this is the case then S. 81:15-29 is another reference to Muhammad seeing Allah on a clear horizon.
From my research, it wasnt Allah who the Prophet saw, it was the ANGEL GABRIEL:

From At-Takweer:

15: Muhsin Khan: So verily, I swear by the planets that recede (i.e. disappear during the day and appear during the night).
16: Muhsin Khan: And by the planets that move swiftly and hide themselves,
17: Muhsin Khan: And by the night as it departs;
18: Muhsin Khan: And by the dawn as it brightens;
19: Muhsin Khan: Verily, this is the Word (this Quran brought by) a most honourable messenger [Jibrael (Gabriel), from Allah to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)]
20: Muhsin Khan: Owner of power, and high rank with (Allah) the Lord of the Throne, 21: Muhsin Khan: Obeyed (by the angels), trustworthy there (in the heavens).
22: Muhsin Khan: And (O people) your companion (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) is not a madman;
23: Muhsin Khan: And indeed he (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) saw him [Jibrael (Gabriel)] in the clear horizon (towards the east).
24: Muhsin Khan: And he (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) withholds not a knowledge of the unseen.
25: Muhsin Khan: And it (the Quran) is not the word of the outcast Shaitan (Satan).
26: Muhsin Khan: Then where are you going?
27: Muhsin Khan: Verily, this (the Quran) is no less than a Reminder to (all) the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns).
28: Muhsin Khan: To whomsoever among you who wills to walk straight,
29: Muhsin Khan: And you will not, unless (it be) that Allah wills, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists).
This guy was mostly likely misinterpreting or was twisting what the Quran was trying to say.

syilla
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MyIslamWeb.com
thats not true

when Allah revealed himself to Musa, he fainted from the overwhelming struck it had on him

and the mountain infront of Musa was flattened

that was pre said that Allah warned Musa that he will not be able to see him.
thank you :sister:

- Qatada -
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
:salamext:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 455:

Narrated Abu Ishaq-Ash-Shaibani (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with him):

I asked Zir bin Hubaish regarding the Statement of Allah: "And was at a distance Of but two bow-lengths Or (even) nearer; So did (Allah) convey The Inspiration to His slave (Gabriel) and then he (Gabriel) Conveyed (that to Muhammad). (Qur'an 53:9-10) On that, Zir said, "Ibn Mas'ud informed us that the Prophet had seen Gabriel having 600 wings."

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 456:

Narrated Abdullah (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with him):

Regarding the Verse: "Indeed he (Muhammad) did see. Of the Signs of his Lord, The Greatest!"(53.18) That the Prophet had seen a green carpet spread all over the horizon of the sky.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 54, Number 457:

Narrated Aisha (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with her):

Whoever claimed that (the Prophet) Muhammad (peace be upon him) saw his Lord, is committing a great fault, for he only saw Gabriel in his genuine shape in which he was created covering the whole horizon.

source: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...i/054.sbt.html

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

scentsofjannah
08-11-2006, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
well the prophet was a v.special man so he probably did see allah.
rani
No He didnt see Allah...No one ever did

QuranStudy
08-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Sams Shamoun is a liar.

Muhammad saw the angel Gabriel. He twisted the fact to claim the prophet saw Allah.

Kidman
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Why did you remove my post?

Kidman

DAWUD_adnan
08-13-2006, 07:43 PM
What about the night of ascending? when Muhammad SalAllahu aleyhi Wasalaam went through the seven heavens? did he see HIM then??? I think so....

QuranStudy
08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
What about the night of ascending? when Muhammad SalAllahu aleyhi Wasalaam went through the seven heavens? did he see HIM then??? I think so....
No, he didnt see Allah then either. He just saw other prophets.

azim
08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Asalaamu alaykum.

When the Prophet (saws) was asked by Abu Dharr is he saw Allah swt the Prophet (saws) replied: - "There was only light, how could I see him?".

(This hadith was mentioned in "The Fundementals of Tawhid written by Bilal Phillips - in turn he cites "Ibn Tameeyah, at-Tawassul wal-Waseelah, pg 28" as the reference).

chacha_jalebi
08-13-2006, 08:57 PM
salaam

what about when RasoolAllah (saw) kept goin back to Allah (swt) and asked for the prayer to be reduced? so he never met Allah (swt) he didnt see him??

Kidman
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
I would post about why you cannot see Allah, but my post will be deleted and when i email the admin about it i wont get a responce. I am not trying to bring sectarian issues or anything, but i'm trying to prove that the attributes given to Allah are metaphysical and alligorical...

Kidman

- Qatada -
08-14-2006, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
I would post about why you cannot see Allah, but my post will be deleted and when i email the admin about it i wont get a responce. I am not trying to bring sectarian issues or anything, but i'm trying to prove that the attributes given to Allah are metaphysical and alligorical...

Kidman

It is the opinion of the ahlus sunnah that the Attributes and Description mentioned of Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala in the Qur'aan is real. So the Hand of Allaah Almighty is real, but it is not like any of the creations, the same can be said about the other descriptions in the Qur'an and authentic ahadith.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Kidman
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, can i post my viewpoint based on the Quran and so forth?? Everyone follows the same Quran, that is correct, but everyone does not agree on which ahadith is authentic and which are not authentic.

Kidman

Mujahidah4Allah
08-14-2006, 11:12 PM
:sl:

ermm chacha makes a good point there did he[saw] not see Allah [swt] then?

ma'salamah

Hussein radi
08-14-2006, 11:26 PM
i think this is something personal to prophet muhammed(SAW), and we should not be all crazy about it.

azim
08-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not see Allah, there are many hadith and ayah posted on this thread which show that a)Allah cannot be seen in this life and b)The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), by his own testimony, did not see Allah.

This is an issue of tawhid and there is a misconception held by Muslims about this due to looseness of wording (i.e. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was in the presence of Allah and close to Allah, but in a way we do not understand, and in a way in which he did not see Allah - this is often rephrased by Muslims in incorrect ways.)

Bilal Phillips has a book called The Fundementals of Tawhid, this covers the topic as well as many other issues where we may hold incorrect beliefs. It's an excellent book masha'Alah and has been revised and corrected many times. I urge everyone to read it or a similar book on Tawhid.

Asalamu alaykum.

mahi13
12-05-2011, 10:32 AM
You are totally wrong. Nowhere in Al Quran says that Muhammad (pbuh) saw Allah. In those verses (81:15-29) Allah says that Muhammad (pbuh) saw angel Gibril (pbuh) in his original form. Before asking any question we must read Al Quran properly and must ask scholars. If you do not recite properly you will always get a problem.So, recite Al Quran properly. Otherwise you will contradict with yourself only. Thanks.
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Salaam,

Did Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) see Allah? I though Allah cannot been seen, according to the Quran. Yet in other passages it says that Muhammad (pbuh) did see Allah (ex. Surah no. 81:15-29). There seems to be a contradiction.
Can anyone please explain this to be. Help will be greatly appreciated! Reps to anyone who answers.

Thanks.

~ Sabr ~
06-15-2012, 01:17 PM

O people! Why are you in a state of delusion! Open your eyes! The Prophet Muhammad :saws: saw Allaah, and there was a distance of 2 bows, then even less, then even less.....

Allaah loves Muhammad :saws: more than ANY ONE OF US can ever imagine, and on that night there was no veil between them, Allaah removed all veils between Him and RasoolAllaah :saws:

According to an authentic tradition, the Prophet Muhammad :saws: was left along by Jibra'eel, by the Lote Tree. He then proceeded towards Allaah alone. Then a spiritual cloud (called raff-raff) encircled him and that took him towards Allaah. Then even the cloud left him and then Allaah called out, "Wait! You have come so far to meet me, I will cover this small distance towards you." Then Allaah lifted His Veil, and RasoolAllaah :saws: saw Allaah WITHOUT A VEIL and fell into prostration himself before Allaah.
[Suyuti, Jalal-ad-Din, al-Khasais al-Kubra, Vol 1, p.305]

Whoever wants to believe can believe, and whoever doesn't want to believe is up to them.

Ya Ummah! Knowledge is not only found on the internet! Go to your Shaykhs, learn from them!

May Allaah save our Ummah, who is seriously getting misguided. Ameen.

marwen
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
^ My sister Hafizah are you sure of that, because scholars say no one saw Allah in dunya, even prophets. Concerning the hadeeth you mentioned, please forgive me my sister, I am not a scholar of hadeeth to make sure if it's authentic or not, but as an ordinary muslim, I resort to Saheeh Bukhari, or Sahih Muslim to seek authentic hadeeths. If a hadeeth is not in the 2 books, I should refer to a reliable scholar of hadeeth (like Albani, etc) to know how authentic it is. So It would be beneficial if someone could refer to the opinion of scholars about the hadith if possible.

Take a look at this too :
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/12423

~ Sabr ~
06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
“Then He approached and descended”Qur’aan, Chapter 53, Verse 8

Narrated Anas bin Malik regarding this verse

“But Gabriel ascended with him (the Prophet) for a distance above that, the distance of which only Allah knows, till he reached the Lote Tree (beyond which none may pass) and then the Irresistible, the Lord of Honour and Majesty approached and came closer till he was about two bow lengths or (even) nearer.”
[Sahih Bukhari, Book 93, Hadith 608]

How can you deny the words of a Sahaabi.... Astagfirullaah... Ya Allaah please guide the Ummah of Muhammad :saws:, Ameen

marwen
06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
No one denies the words of sahaba inshaAllah. But in authentic sources nothings says explicitely that the Prophet saw Allah, and most of the sahaba adopted the opinion that even when the prophet approached Allah, he did not see Him. Wallahu Aalam.

~ Sabr ~
06-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Like I said, whoever want's to believe can believe, and whoever does't want to believe it's up to them. I'm not going to pointlessly argue with people on the internet, who take their knowledge from the internet, and don't bother to learn Islaam from an autherntic source.

I am convinced that this is the truth, my Shaykh has explained this to me, and Alhamdulillah Allaah has guided my heart to the truth.

This will be my last post in this thread, and if someone wishes to discuss this further they can PM me.

May Allaah guide us all, Ameen.

:wasalamex

~ Sabr ~
06-15-2012, 02:11 PM
And by the way I was not mentioning Dunya, it was on the Night of Miraaj when RasoolAllaah :saws: saw Allaah, just to clear that up.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.