/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Siwaak

madeenahsh
06-03-2005, 06:22 PM
The Siwaak
The SIWAAK is that which the mouth is brushed with. And it is also called the MISWAAK, the plural being: SOOK. And the siwaak comes from the Araak tree and it is a well-known tree. Abu Hanifah said: It is the best of the trees whose twigs are used for brushing the teeth... smelling of milk. Abu Ziyaad said: From it is taken there tooth-sticks - from its twigs and roots - and the best part for that is its roots, and it is broadly spreading..And Ibn Shameel: The Araak is a tall fine-shoot green tree with many leaves and branches, having weak wood and growing in hollows - miswaaks are taken from it, being one of the citrus trees. Its singular is Araak and its plural Araa-ik. (Lisaan-ul-'Arab, 268).
It is mustahabb (desirable) to use the siwaak at many different times as is established from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) that he used to use the siwaak at every Prayer, and before reading the Qur'an, and before sleeping and when waking, and when the breath changes - whether fasting or not - or whether at the start of the day or in the afternoon, and it is a form of worship which is easy therefore observe it, O my Muslim Brother.

48. And also when making wudoo , as Abu Hurairah (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) narrates that Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said, If I did not fear to cause hardship to my Ummah I would have ordered them to use the siwaak with every wudoo. [Reported by at-Tirrnidhee (no.22) who said: Hasan Saheeh, and Maalik (no.123), Ahmad (4/116), Abu Dawood (no.37) and others. Al-Albaanee declared it to be saheeh (Takhree; ul Mishkaat, no.390)].

49. And 'Aa'ishah (radhiAllaahu' anhaa) narrates that Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said The siwaak is a means of cleansing the mouth and pleasing the Lord. [Al-Bukhaaree reports it in mu'allaq form - connected by Ahmad, an-Nasaa'ee, Ibn Khuzaimah and Ibn Hibbaan].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ad-Dalk (Rubbing the Water over the Body Parts):
This is part of the wudoo authentically reported from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). Al-Mustawrid ibn Shadad said: I saw Rasoolullah (sailallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) when he made wudoo rubbing his toes with his litle finger. [Saheeh as has preceded].
50. Abdullah ibn Zaid (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu'alaihiwasallam) made wudoo and said Rub in this way. [See Nail-ul-Autaar, 4/39].

51. He (radhiAllaahu'anhu) also narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made wudoo with two thirds of a mudd[3] (of water) and rubbed over his forearms. [Ibn Khuzaimah (no.118), and its isnaad is Saheeh - and al-Haakim (1/161) reports it by way of Yahyaa ibn Abi Zaa'idah].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Performing the Wudoo in the Order Mentioned in the Ayaah
As for what is narrated regarding the 'order' as mentioned in the Aayah, then there is nothing to contradict that - and this order is obligatory (waajib) and it is said: Sunnah. [See Fiqh al Imam Sa'eed ibn al Musayyib, 1/64].
As for what is related with regard to the Prophet's wudoo (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) then it has been reported sometimes out of the regular order. And the proof is:

52. Al-Miqdaam ibn Ma'd Yakrib said: I came to the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) with water for wudoo , so he washed his hands three times, then washed his face three times, then washed his forearms three times, then washed his mouth and nose three times, then wiped his head and ears - their outsides and insides - and washed each of his feet three times. [Ahmad (4/132), Abu Dawood (1/19) with Saheeh isnaad. Ash-Shaukaanee (1/1~5) said: Its isnaad is good, and it is reported by ad-Diyaa in 'al-Mukhtaarah'. And al-Albaanee records it in 'as-Saheehah', no.261] .

So this is a proof that he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) did not always stick to the regular order - and this is a proof that it is not obligatory - however, his sticking to it mostly shows that it is Sunnah. And Allaah Knows best.

As-Suyooti says as is reported from him in 'Aun al Ma'bood' ( 1/48): It is used as a proof - that is the aforementioned hadeeth - by him who says that sticking to the regular order in wudoo is not obligatory as he washed his mouth and nose after washing his arms.

The author of 'Aun al Ma'bood' says: This narration is 'shaadh'[4] - and therefore not to be taken in contradiction to the established narrations which put the washing of the mouth and nose before the washing of the face.

I say: The difference of opinion between the scholars here is with regard to those parts of wudoo which are Sunnah. As for the obligatory duties - then they are according to the order mentioned in the noble Aayah, and the best thing is to perform all of the actions in the way mentioned in the majority of the ahaadeeth - and Allaah Knows best.

Al-Mawaalaat (Washing Each Part Directly After the Previous one - Leaving no Time Gap in Between)
Nothing other than this is established from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam). It is however established that Ibn 'Umar (radhiAllaahu' anhu) urinated within the market, then made wudoo and so washed his face and hands and wiped his head, then he was called to pray over a Janazzah so he entered the mosque then wiped over his leather socks, then prayed over it. [Reported by Maalik (no.72) and al-Baihaqee (1/84). And 'Ataa didn't see anything wrong with leaving such gaps whilst making wudoo and it is the saying of al-Hasan, an-Nakha'ee and the better reported of the two sayings of ash-Shaafi'ee].

Beginning with the Right
That is washing the right hand before the left - and likewise the feet.
53. 'Aaishah (radhiAllaahu 'annaa) said: Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to like to begin with the right in putting on shoes, combing his hair, in purification and in all of his affairs. [Al-Bukhaaree (al Fath) 1/235, Muslim (no.267) and others].

54. Abu Hurairah (radhiAllaahu'anhu) narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said When you dress and when you make wudoo , then begin with the right. [Abu Dawood (4141), at-Tirmidhee (1766), an-Nasaa'ee (402). Al-Albaanee declares it to be saheeh].

Economizing in the Use of Water and not Being Wasteful
55. Anas (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) said: The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to make wudoo with a mudd (of water) and make ghusl with a saa' or up to five mudds. [Muslim (1/156) and others]. A saa' is equal to four mudds. ( A mudd is that amount of water which is held by the two hands cupped together.)
If you consider this hadeeth well, O my Muslim Brother, you would feel ashamed of what some people do these days - one of them opening the water tap and making wudoo and sometimes talking to his companion whilst the water is running out - what an excess in wastefulness! So he who does that should fear Allaah and remember this hadeeth and keep it in mind and follow the Sunnah with regard to using the water sparingly and not being wasteful - and here the true following of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is made clear and the true Muslim's belief. It is from the Sunnah for the Muslim who wishes to make wudoo to have with him a container large enough for a mudd of water - in order to force himself to return to the following of the Sunnah.

The Du'aa After the Wudoo
56. 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) said: Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alahi wa sallam) said None of you makes wudoo and completes the wudoo then says:

Ashhadu anlaa ilaaha illallaahu wahdahu laa shareekalahu washhadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhu wa rasooluhu (I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave andMessenger) except that all eight Gates of Paradise are opened for him - so that he enters by whichever he pleases. [Reported by Muslim (no.234), Abu Dawood (no 169), at-Tirmidhee (no.55), an-Nasaa'ee (no.148), Ibn Maajah (no.470)].

And at-Tirmidhee adds an authentic addition to it:

Allaahumma aj'alnee minat-tawwabeen waj'alnee minal mutatahhireen (O Allaah, make me one of those who constantly repents toYou and of those who purify themselves.) [Declared as Sahih by al-Albaanee].

57. Abu Sa'eed al-Khudree (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) said Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)said Whoever makes wudoo then says upon finishing the wudoo:

Subhaanakallaahumma wa bihamdika ashhadu anlaa ilaaha illa anta astaghfiruka wa atoobu ilaika (I declare You free from all defects my Lord and all praise belongs to you and I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except You. I seek Your forgiveness and I turn to You) It is written in a parchment, then sealed and is not opened till Judgement Day. [Reported by Ibn ar-Sunnee in 'Amal al Yaurn wal-l~ilah, no.30. Declared as Saheeh by al-Albaanee].

Washing Each Body-Part Once
68. Ibn 'Abbaas (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) said: Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made wudoo (washing each part) once. [Al-Bukhaaree (al Fath) 1/226].

Washing Each Body-Part Twice
59. 'Abdullaah ibn Zaid narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made wudoo (washing each part) twice. [Al-Bukhaaree (al Fath) 1/226].

Washing Each Body-Part Thrice
60. In the hadeeth of'Uthmaan (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) recorded by al-Bukhaaree and Muslim, he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) washed each of the parts three times.
So from these ahaadeeth it becomes clear to us that, as is well-known to the large majority of scholars, washing each body-part once is obligatory - and the second and third washings are Sunnah - and it is better to do likewise following the Sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ['al-Majmoo' of an-Nawawi, 1/229].

The Desirability of Making Wudoo for Each Prayer
Al-Haafiz says in 'al Fath' (1/172) in the question 'Making wudoo without having broken it':
61. Anas (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) says: The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to make wudoo for every prayer. I said: What had you (the Sahaabah) used to do? He said: One wudoo was sufficient for us till such time as we broke it.

This hadeeth is an evidence that what is meant generally is the obligatory Prayer.

Al-Tahaawee says: It may be that that was obligatory upon him (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) particularly - then was abrogated on the Day of Fath by the hadeeth of Buraidah - meaning that which Muslim reports - that he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) prayed all the Prayers on the Day of Fath with one wudoo and that 'Umar (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) asked him about that so he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said I did it deliberately. Or it may be that he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to do it out of desirability only, then feared that it might be thought to be obligatory and so left it to show the permissibility of that.

I say: The result is that making wudoo for every Prayer is mustahabb and praying all of the Prayers with one wudoo is permissible - and Allaah Knows best.

The One who is not Sure if he has Broken the Wudoo or not Relies upon that which he is Certain of
If he who knows that he has made wudoo then is not sure that he has broken it - then his wudoo remains. And he who knows that he has done that which breaks wudoo and doubts when he has made wudoo thereafter then he does not have wudoo . In each case he relies upon that which he is certain of before that which he has doubt about - and he throws the doubt away. And this is the saying of the great majority of scholars - and it is the saying of Abu Hanifah, ash-Shaafi'ee and Ahmad. ['Al-Mughnee', 1/193, and ~iqh ul Awaaa'ee, 1/56].
62. And the proof for this is what is established from Abu Hurairah (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) who said: Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said If one of you feels something in his stomach and he isn't sure did anything (wind) come out of it or not - then let him not leave the mosque until he hears a sound or finds a smell. [Muslim (Sharh an-Nawawi, 4/51), 'Aaridat-ul-Ahwadhee Sharh ut-Tirmidhee, 1/79].

So the hadeeth is a proof that things remain upon their original state until there is a certainty of a change in that, and doubt does not harm that - so he who is sure of having made wudoo and thinks that he may have broken it, then he remains upon wudoo .

A Man and Woman's Washing from a Single Vessel
63. Ibn 'Abbaas (radhiAllaahu 'anhumaa) narrates that one of the wives of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) took a ghusl from Janaabah then saw Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) about to take a ghusl from the water remaining - so she informed him that she had made ghusl therefrom - so Rasoolulah said Nothing makes the water impure. [Reported by Abu Dawood (no.67), and an-Nasaa'ee (no.326), and at-Tirmidhee who declared it to be hasan saheeh, and Ibn Maajah (no.370)].
Ibn 'Abd ul-Barr says: There is nothing in the Sharee'ah to prevent each of them washing with the water remaining from the other - either together or one after the other, and this is the saying of the scholars of the different lands and the great majority of scholars - and the ahaadeeth about it are Mutawaatir. (Al-Istidhkaar, 1/373).

Making Wudoo after Eating Camel Meat
64. Jaabir ibn Samurah (radhiAllaahu 'anhu) narrates that a man asked Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam): Should I make wudoo because of the meat of sheep? He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said If you wish make wudoo and if you wish then do not make wudoo. He said: Should I make wudoo from the meat of the camel? He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said Yes, make wudoo from the meat of the camel. He asked: May I pray in sheep-pens? He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said Yes. He asked: May I pray in the stalls of camels? He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) said No. [Reported by Muslim, 1/189].

Drying the Body Parts after Purification
'Uthman ibn 'Affaan, al- Hasan ibn 'Alee, Anas ibn Maalik, al-Hasan al-Basree, Ibn Seereen, 'Alqamah, al-Aswad, Masrooq, ad-Dahhaak, 'Abdullaah ibn al Haarith, Abu Ya'laa, Abul Ahwas, Ash-Sha'bee, Ath-Thawree, Ishaaq, Ibn 'Umar in a narration, and Abu Hanifah, Maalik, Ahmad, and the Shafi'ee Madhhab in one saying, all say that it is permissible after both wudoo and ghusl to dry the body-parts. And their evidence is what 'Aa'ishah (radhiAllaahu 'anhaa) reports - she said: Rasoolullah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) had a cloth which he used to dry himself with after making wudoo . [Reported by at-Tirmidhee who declared it to be da'eef]. Then al Ainee states that an-Nasaa'ee records it in 'al-Kunaa' with saheeh isnaad.
I say: And it has other narrations which support and strengthen it. (See Fiqh al-Imam Sa'eed, 1/70). Al-Albaanee declares the hadeeth to be hasan. (Saheeh ul Jaami', 4706).

65. Salmaan al-Faarsee narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) made wudoo , then turned up a woollen cloak he had and wiped his face with it. [Reported by Ibn Maajah (no.468)]. In az-Zawaa'id it is said: Its isnaad is saheeh.

I say: In its isnaad is al-Wadeen ibn 'Ataa who is sadooq but has a bad memory as al-Haafiz Ibn Hajr says in 'Taqreeb ut-Tahdheeb', so its isnaad is da'eef!! - but it is strengthened by the previous hadeeth of 'Aa'ishah to the level of hasan - and Allaah Knows best.

Some others hold it to be makrooh to dry the body-parts after Purification and their proof is:

66. What is established from Maimoonah (radhiAllaahu'anhaa) who described the Prophet's (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ghusl from Janaabah and said: Then I brought him a cloth but he refused it. [Al-Bukhaaree, and Muslim - and the word is his].

The Final word: Is that drying the body-parts is one of the desirable actions as shown by the hadeeth of Aa'ishah (radhiAllaahu 'anhaa) - as for the saying that it is makrooh then that is not acceptable as the saying of Maimoonah (radhiAllaahu 'anhaa) "but he refused it" does not amount to the fact that it is makrooh - and Allaah Knows best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-03-2005, 06:44 PM
:sl:

Informative to say the least! :) JazakAllah khair :shade:

:w:

madeenahsh
06-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Walykum sallam warahmatullahi wabarakhatuh

Na3am waiyaak

Barakhatullahi feekh

Wasallamu Alykum

Protected_Diamond
11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
asalamualykum warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Miswaak Quick View of Benefits:

Advantages of the Miswaak:

1. Miswaak strengthens the gums and prevents tooth decay.
2. Miswaak assists in eliminating toothaches and prevents further increase of decay which has already set in.
3. Miswaak creates a fragrance in the mouth.
4. Miswaak is a cure for illness.
5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
6. Miswaak sharpens the memory.
7. Miswaak is a cure for headaches.
9. Miswaak causes the teeth to glow.
10. Miswaak strengthens the eyesight.
11. Miswaak assists in digestion.
12. Miswaak clears the voice.
13. The greatest benefit of using miswaak is gaining the pleasure of Allah.

Times when usage of Miswaak is Sunnah:

1. For the recitation of the Qur'an.
2. For the recitation of Hadith.
3. When the mouth emits and odor.
4. For the learning or teaching of virtues of Islaam.
5. For making Dhikrullah (Remebrance of Allah, meditation).
6. After entering ones home.
7. Before entering any good gathering.
8. When experiencing pangs of hunger and thirst.
9. After the signs of death are evident.
10. At the time of Sehri.
11. Before meals.
12. Before undertaking a journey.
13. On returning from a journey.
14. Before sleeping.
15. Upon awakening.

How long should a Miswaak be?

A Miswaak should not be longer than a "span" i.e. the maximum distance between the tips of the thumb and little finger, and it should not be thicker than a finger's breadth.

How should it be used?

A Miswaak should be held in such a manner that the small finger and thumb is below the miswaak and the remaining fingers on its upper side.

So, dear friends, do you see how easy it is to gain the pleasure of Allah SWT and also stay in good health?!

Now do you want to use the miswak or no?? :sister:

walakumasalaam warhmatulahi wabarakthu

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
m_2005
11-02-2005, 01:42 PM

I used to actually use Miswaak regularly, and I saw a lot of effect, but recently haven't got round to buying another one, but reading the list, has reminded me to go out and get it

Jazakallah for the post

MetSudaisTwice
11-02-2005, 01:44 PM
salam
mashallah a great post
jazakallah
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-02-2005, 01:45 PM
5. Miswaak eliminates bad odors and improves the sense of taste.
Betta get sum for my friends then...:statisfie

JazakAllah for the post.

Allah ma3akum

habib
11-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Masha Allah great post ....
Thanks for sharing...

Ballerina
11-02-2005, 02:42 PM

jazak Allaah sis .. that was real helpful ..

IbnAbdulHakim
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Asalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

:salamext:

About the Miswaak

I was wondering what makes the miswaak smells nice?

Also is it still the same as it was during rasullulahi saws time because my tastes too nice... TOO NICE!!?

Also Exactly how do we make the BEST use of the miswaak? Just use it like a toothbrush now n den? Or keep it in ur mouth for long periods and chew on it <--- this is what i like to do :D

JazakAllah khair wa BarakAllah feekum InshaAllah to you all!

:wasalamex

BlissfullyJaded
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM

The scholars are agreed that the best thing for cleaning the mouth is the twigs of the araak tree, because of its good smell, and because it has brush-like fibres which are effective for cleaning food particles etc. from between the teeth, and because of the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “I used to gather siwaak sticks from the araak tree for the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” (Reported by Ahmad, 3991; its isnaad is hasan, see al-Irwa’ 1/104).

If araak twigs are not available, the scholars recommended using palm-leaf stalks, or twigs of the olive tree. The ahaadeeth that have been narrated concerning this, however, are not saheeh.

The correct view is that any kind of sticks that are cleansing and not harmful may be used instead of siwaak, if it is not available, to clean the mouth and remove dirt from the teeth. This includes modern toothbrushes which are known to be beneficial in this regard.

There is nothing wrong with using siwaak that is flavoured with mint, lemon and so on, so long as they do not cause any harm. But a person who is fasting should avoid using any flavoured siwaak, and should only use natural siwaak when he is fasting.

Read more here

Maybe you're using a flavored miswak? If not, then it just tastes nice. I don't know, cuz I never really paid attention and I'm daft. :X

IbnAbdulHakim
06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
JazakAllah khair wa BarakALlah feekum

H@fiz Aziz
11-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Prophet Muhammed (p.b.u.h) used to use a miswak before praying. So we should do this when we do this we get more sunnah for prayer.:sl:

Salam

Put more post bout Miswak

Woodrow
11-29-2006, 01:00 AM
I use a miswak myself. Oddly something very similar was used by the Native Americans. However, since they do not have any related tree to use so here the commonly used trees were Birch and Sassafras. Both of which have the same properties and the same results.

The miswak (miswaak, siwak) is a natural tooth brush used in the Muslim culture on the recommendation of Prophet Mohammad. A miswak is typically made from the twigs of the Salvadora persica tree growing in the Middle East. Other tree types that are used are the arak tree, peelo tree, olive, walnut and other trees with bitter roots. Pomegranate is never used for miswak.

In addition to strengthening the gums, preventing tooth decay and eliminating toothaches it is also said to halt further increase in decay that has already set in. Furthermore it is claimed to create a fragrance in the mouth, eliminate bad odour, improve the sense of taste and cause the teeth to glow and shine.

Supposed benefits not related to teeth and gum include sharpening memory, curing headaches, creating a lustre on the face of the one who continually uses it, strengthening the eyesight, assisting in digestion and clearing the voice. But none of these claims has been researched scientifically.

Scientific studies
The WHO recommended the use of the miswak in 1986 and in 2000 an international consensus report on oral hygiene concluded that further research was needed to document the effect of the miswak[1].

[edit] "Miswak extract" compared to other oral disinfectants
Studies indicate that Salvadora persica extract is somewhat comparable to other oral disinfectants and anti-plaque agents like Triclosan and Chlorhexidine Gluconate if used at a very high concentration.[2][3].

[edit] Religious prescriptions
An important benefit to Muslims is also that the reward of prayer (salaah) is multiplied 70 times if miswak is used before it. Although not mentioned in the Qur'an use of the miswak is frequently advocated in the Hadith (the traditions relating to the life of Muhammad). Situations where the miswak is recommended to be used include before religious practice, before entering one's house, before and after going on a journey, on Fridays, before and after sleeping, when experiencing hunger or thirst and before entering any good gathering
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

H@fiz Aziz
11-29-2006, 02:18 AM
nice advice gave u reputattion

syilla
11-29-2006, 02:48 AM
assallamualaikum,

i want to ask one question.

i did not use miswak...as is not easy to get it at my place. Maybe next time i'll ask someone to buy it from me.

but i always brush my teeth....before i prayed (5 times a day to be exact). So i was wondering...is it makruh for me to use the toothpaste for brushing before i do the prayer.

H@fiz Aziz
11-29-2006, 06:15 PM
no but u dont get more sunnah for it

Kittygyal
11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu
Health Effects of Miswak

Physically, the miswak is a natural toothbrush. It is composed of a compact group of minute natural fibers that perform exactly the same job as a normal toothbrush except that it is made of natural fibers and not plastic ones. For this reason it may well be gentler on the gums.

Miswak's natural toothpaste is made up of a number of substances that play an important role in cleaning teeth. Many researchers have studied the miswak in depth, and have proven that miswak contains over ten different natural chemical compounds considered essential for good oral and dental hygiene.

They are: fluoride, silica, tannic acid, resins, alkaloids (salvadorine), volatile oils (sinigrin), sulfur vitamin C, sodium bicarbonate, chlorides, calcium, benzylisothiocyanate (BIT), and others including salicylic acids, sterols, trimethylamine, saponins, flavenoids.

Some of these components are stain removers and teeth whiteners, some protect teeth against caries, some are bactericidal and antiseptic, some help in healing and to repair tissue, some promote remineralization (building) of tooth enamel, and some give the taste and smell.

Hadith: Miswaak cleanses the mouth and pleases the lord.

From this Hadith it is clear that the use of Miswaak is very simple and an easy method of gaining Allah Taa'la's pleasure. All you need to do is use a little piece of wood in a certain preferable manner of certain preferable times and you can gain Allah Taa'la's pleasure.

There are different types of Miswaak which are sunnat to use:

Olive tree Miswaak (dark brown).
Peelo (salvadora presica)

The Miswaak should at least be a span long and ideally no thinner than the little finger. To use a Miswaak, wet it then use side ways on the teeth and down the length of the tongue. There are certain times when it is sunnat to use the Miswaak:

When reciting the Quran sharif.
When reciting Hadith sharif.
When bad odour is omitted from the mouth.
For the zikr of Allah Taa'la.
When entering or leaving the house.
Before and after eating.
Before and after sleeping.
When travelling.
When hungry or thirsty.
Before intercourse.
When signs of death are seen.

There has been mentioned of over 80 benefits from the use of Miswaak. Here are just a few listed to make the reader feel the need to use the Miswaak:

It omits bad breath.
It helps bleeding gums.
Allah is pleased.
Memory is strengthened.
Teeth are whitened.
It elevates headaches.
Clears the voice.
It is a cure forillness.
Constant use brings noor (light) to the face.
It sharpens the eyesight

Inshallah, the Kalima will be easily recited at the time of death.
With the constant use of a Miswaak, the above benefits can be achieved, not to mention numerous other benefits and rewards. So we should all make an earnest effort that Allah Taa'la gives us the capability to use the Miswaak according to the Sunnat at Sunnat times to double our reward.

do me a favour remember me in your Du3'ah, shukran!

Walikumassalam warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu

H@fiz Aziz
12-01-2006, 02:13 AM
nice advice plus u dont get gums diease by using it

post more
salam

Umar001
12-01-2006, 03:55 AM
I have heard a health benefit, well if your married it can be!

Alot of brothers told me, but I aint married yet which does worry me when I use miswak but aparently it helps a man be 'strong', Is there any truth to that?

Malaikah
12-01-2006, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
but i always brush my teeth....before i prayed (5 times a day to be exact). So i was wondering...is it makruh for me to use the toothpaste for brushing before i do the prayer.

lol! Slow down there! It's actually bad for your teeth if you brush them more then twice a day! Especially with toothpaste!

lolwatever
12-01-2006, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

lol! Slow down there! It's actually bad for your teeth if you brush them more then twice a day! Especially with toothpaste!
u sure :uuh:

i thought ti was sppose 2b after every food :offended:

Malaikah
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM

lol nope! It makes the enamel on the tooth get too thin or something. (I was told this by a dentist student's sister).

lolwatever
12-01-2006, 11:14 AM

lol nope! It makes the enamel on the tooth get too thin or something. (I was told this by a dentist student's sister).
jazaks :uuh: :offended:

H@fiz Aziz
12-05-2006, 04:14 AM
lol thin =]

Asyur an-Nagi
12-05-2006, 07:12 AM

it would get thin only by toothpaste with baking soda and wrong toothbrushing method.

i think i made such thread about miswak. but it's always good to have another.

syilla
12-05-2006, 08:49 AM

actually i used toothpaste that extract from miswak.... :D

sorry late reply, i ignore this thread because i already have my answer...

its a good thing i check this out (i want to read the opinion from the LI dentist)

Asyur an-Nagi
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
actually i used toothpaste that extract from miswak.... :D

sorry late reply, i ignore this thread because i already have my answer...

its a good thing i check this out (i want to read the opinion from the LI dentist)
is there any dentist in LI?:D

syilla
12-05-2006, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
is there any dentist in LI?:D

where is the dentist?:rollseyes :D

H@fiz Aziz
12-05-2006, 11:25 PM
just give ur opinion if u no some facts post

Asyur an-Nagi
12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
According to researchers, the people with the best teeth are not those who have the fanciest sonic toothbrushes - but those who use their toothbrushes regularly and after each snack and meal. In fact, ancient cultures and developing nations lacked the technology to create such machines for the teeth, yet there have always been reliable ways to clean them.

Muslims use what is called a miswak. A miswak, or siwak, is a small stick with which the teeth are rubbed and cleaned. The end is shaped into a brush through biting or chewing, which serve to separate the fibers and release the healing herbal powers of the twig. Some advantages of the miswak are that is does not require toothpaste, water or a special area to use it, and may be easily carried in one's purse or pocket. It is also disposable and biodegradable - therefore, it is the ultimate environmentally safe toothbrush. Some people even believe it works better than a toothbrush.
Nevertheless, a more compelling reason to use the miswak is that it is Sunnah to do so. Abu Hurairah reported that Prophet Mohammad (saws) said, "Were it not that I might overburden believers, I would have ordered them to use the miswak at every prayer" (Imam Muslim, Vol. 1).

H@fiz Aziz
12-06-2006, 05:46 PM
=] post more

12-06-2006, 05:52 PM
How to clean the mouth with siwaak

The scholars have differed as to whether siwaak should be done with the right hand or the left hand. One group – the majority – think that it is better to use the right hand, because of the general meaning of the hadeeth narrated by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) liked to start with the right when putting on his shoes, dismounting (from his camel), when cleaning himself, and in all things.” (Agreed upon). (They also say that) siwaak is an act of worship and drawing closer to Allaah, so it should not be done with the left hand.

Other scholars say that it is better to use the left hand for siwaak, because it comes under the heading of removing dirt.

Some scholars have said that when a person is using siwaak with the intention of following the sunnah, he should use his right hand, and if he is doing it to remove dirt, he should use his left hand. The fact of the matter is that this issue is open, as there is no definitive daleel or report, and every opinion has a valid point.

The fuqaha’ suggested that when using siwaak, a person should start on the right, and use a side-to-side motion rather than up-and-down, as the latter may harm the gums. Among the etiquette of using siwaak, they mentioned the following:

1. That a person should not use the siwaak in front of others or in public, because this is impolite.
2. That the siwaak should be washed after use, to get rid of any dirt that may be on it. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to use siwaak, then he would give it to me to wash it. I would use it first, then wash it and give it back to him.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, 1/45).
3. The siwaak should be kept in a clean place.

H@fiz Aziz
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
post more ppl

skhalid
01-06-2007, 08:20 PM
brushing ur teeth everytime you prepare to pray is sunna...and its good to follow the example of our Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) and earn a few more rewards!!!
So I recommend that people should stop being lazy and do something small for a bit more marks in your records!!!

H@fiz Aziz
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
talking bout miswak if u brush with that u get more sunnah

Khayal
01-17-2007, 04:57 PM

JazaakAllah khair Sister.

abdussattar
09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I do miswak only when doing wudu... will that suffice?

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 02:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
I do miswak only when doing wudu... will that suffice?

A good incentive for using the miswak is that in spite of all of the fancy toothbrushes, and toothpastes on the market none are any better for oral hygiene than the simple twig we call miswak. No harm in using the fancy stuff, but why waste money when the ideal tooth brush has been given to us by nature.

S.Belle
09-15-2010, 10:50 PM
'A'isha reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The siwak is purification for the mouth and pleasing to the Lord."

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "If it was not for the fact that I might have been overburdening my community - or the people - I would have ordered them to use the siwak for every prayer."

'Virtue and time of Siwak:
Siwak (tooth stick) is a confirmed sunna (sunna mu’akkada) during the rinsing of the mouth, as in Jawhara, and some say before rinsing the mouth. It is [a confirmed sunna] is for the ritual ablutions (wudu) in the Hanafi school, as confirmed in the hadith reported by Ahmad [in his Musnad] that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “Prayer with brushing (siwak) is seventy times more virtuous than prayer without.” However, if one forgets it (during ablutions) then it is mustahab to use it for salah, as it is mustahab to use it for removing yellow teeth and odour and reciting the Qur’an etc. [f: Ibn Abidin later confirmed that it is generally recommended before prayer, even though the confirmed sunna and promised reward is attained by all prayers performed with ritual ablutions in which one brushed one’s teeth. This is a point most Hanafis are negligent of.]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.