/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Golden Rule in Islam?

Phil12123
08-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm wondering if there exists a "Golden Rule" in Islam comparable to what Jesus said in Matt. 7:12, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets," or as often quoted, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

Secondly, Does Islam recognize the "Ten Commandments" as applicable to them or only to the Jews who were given them by God through Moses?

Finally, Does the Quran have a command "Thou shalt not kill (or murder)" that applies equally to Muslim brother and non-Muslim alike (i.e., including "infidels")?

That should make this thread broad enough to include discussion of any or all of the above!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Phil12123
08-11-2006, 07:33 PM
One of the reasons I started this thread is to try to gain some understanding of why we see so many Muslims killing other Muslims, in addition to them killing non-Muslim "crusaders" who they view as "infidels". A recent news article tells of what the Prime Minister of Iraq calls Sunni extremists and Hussein loyalists killing 35 people and wounding 122 in front of the Imam Ali mosque in Najaf, which contains the tomb of Prophet Muhammad's son-in-law, Ali, and is one of the world's most sacred shrines for Shiites.

Do people who do that think they won't go to hell, I wonder. Surely it must be against the Quran to do that. Sunni vs. Shiite vs. Kurds, and yet they all hold to the Quran. Still, they show no respect for places of worship or the very lives of the worshippers. What is wrong with this picture?

Peace

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-11-2006, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Phil12123
I'm wondering if there exists a "Golden Rule" in Islam comparable to what Jesus said in Matt. 7:12, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets," or as often quoted, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?
I guess Muslims would say every rule in Islam is golden but you've specifically asked for something comparable to the cited verse in the Gospel of Matthew, so I will provide some similar Islamic texts.

The Qur'an says:

41:34 The good deed and the evil deed cannot be not equal. Return an evil deed with one that is good. Then he between whom and thyself was mutual enmity shall become as though he were an intimate friend.

The Prophet said: 'Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong if they do evil.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

The Prophet said: 'Whoever suffers an injury done to him and forgives (the person responsible), Allah will raise his status to a higher degree and remove one of his sins.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

Secondly, Does Islam recognize the "Ten Commandments" as applicable to them or only to the Jews who were given them by God through Moses?
6:151 Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah has prohibited you from: Do not ascribe divinity, in any way, to aught beside Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want, We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not nigh to shameful deeds, whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom."

Finally, Does the Quran have a command "Thou shalt not kill (or murder)" that applies equally to Muslim brother and non-Muslim alike (i.e., including "infidels")?
Aside from the one above, the Qur'an says that whoever kills one soul, it is as though they have killed all humanity (5:32)

Regards

جوري
08-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm wondering if there exists a "Golden Rule" in Islam comparable to what Jesus said in Matt. 7:12, "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets," or as often quoted, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?!
the answer to that is yes
"... all creation are part of Allah's family, and the best of creation are those who are good to Allah's universal family?"

None of you truly believe unless you love for others what you love for yourself."
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
Secondly, Does Islam recognize the "Ten Commandments" as applicable to them or only to the Jews who were given them by God through Moses?"?!
those are the fundamentals to which there is no question ... so answer again is yes....

That should make this thread broad enough to include discussion of any or all of the above!
Again the answer is yes
Whosoever kills a human being without (any reason like) manslaughter, or corruption on earth, it is as though he had killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life it is as though he had saved the lives of all mankind." (The Holy Quran 5:32)
Do not kill a soul which Allah has made sacred except through the due process of law ... (The Holy Quran 6:151)
there is tons more..... you should read the Noble Quran

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zulkiflim
08-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Salaam,

But again,Islam is the rule of life.

It has laws for every facet of life ,in good times and bad,in good times or bad times...

In Islam we clearly seperate muslim form Islam.If the action of a muslim is not Islamic it is very cler,,but theya re still muslim irregardless of their actions.

Saddam,Osama and whome ever else is mocked by the west ,if he has spoken the shahadah,,then that person is a muslim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.