/* */

PDA

View Full Version : water clock

جوري
08-13-2006, 05:49 AM
I posted this under another thread but I couldn't see it? maybe it was in the wrong place or my computer is playing funny tricks?????
I have been looking for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time for the water clock that marked the hours by dropping bronze balls into a bowl, as mechanical knights — one for each hour — emerged from little doors which shut behind them. The presents were unprecedented in Western Europe and may have influenced Carolingian art. which was given by Harun al-Rashid (Aaron the Upright ) to Charlemagne as a gift along with others.... I have looked and looked and looked and advertised every where... I have become sort of obsessed really I just need to know what it looks like... I bought many islamic art history books in search of the "clock" whereas I enjoy the girth of my library... It doesn't have the item I want to see the most
so please any of you out there well learned in art history or history in general and have an idea to which museum this belongs... or have some sort of diagram or mock drawing I'd be much obliged

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
08-13-2006, 06:14 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...tml#post448280

That's the link to the other topic. Let us know if it works this time. If it does, we'll have to close this thread and you'll be able to post in the other one. :)

جوري
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
yes pls someone replied to other thread... go ahead close this... though I don't think it is the "right" water clock... it is amazing nonetheless and I so appreciate the effort... though still itching to see the one that Harun Alrashid made...... thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.