/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Australian PM: 'Disarm Hezbollah'

guyabano
08-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Australian Prime Minister John Howard has said Hezbollah must be disarmed if the UN truce in Lebanon is to last.

Mr Howard said the UN Security Council resolution to end hostilities was not specific enough and needed a clear authority to disarm Hezbollah.
He also said he was undecided about whether Australia would send troops to support a UN peacekeeping mission in the Middle East.
He added that any Australian deployment would likely be very limited.
"If we were to make a decision to make a commitment, it would be a very small, niche commitment," Mr Howard told reporters in Sydney. "We have other responsibilities."
Australia has about 500 troops in Afghanistan and more than 1,300 troops in and around Iraq.

Doubts raised

Mr Howard said he had serious concerns about whether the UN-brokered truce between Israel and Hezbollah could last.
"It looks good on the surface but I am, myself, a little discomfited by the lack of specificities and the language regarding the disarming of Hezbollah," the prime minister said.
"Unless there's a clear determination and a clear authority to disarm Hezbollah this isn't going to work.
"I have real and serious reservations about the effectiveness and the lasting character of this resolution," Mr Howard added.

Limited mandate

The ceasefire deal between Israel and Hezbollah is due to come into force at 0500 GMT on Monday.
The UN resolution, drafted by the US and France, says Hezbollah must stop attacks on Israel and calls for the disarmament of armed groups in Lebanon.
But French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy has said the mandate of the expanded UN force would not include disarming Hezbollah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Could you provide a source, please?

QuranStudy
08-14-2006, 12:12 AM
And how is the Aussie credible?

Joe98
08-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Many Australians say he is not credible :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nimrod
08-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Does anyone doubt the validity of the statement “Hezbollah must be disarmed if the UN truce in Lebanon is to last”?

Surely everyone agrees that there will be no lasting peace between Israel and Lebanon with an armed loose cannon like Hezbollah on the scene.

I too would not want to put my people in harms way, for a short term, sure to fail, goal. It makes no sense.

Thanks
Nimrod

Zulkiflim
08-14-2006, 01:55 AM
Salaam,

Nimrod,it seem you are the one forgetting who is murdering civillian here by 10 X

Israel is a terrorist state and all that support it are terrorist and will will dealth with Inshallah..

So Israel must be disarmed so that the majority of Palestine and Lebansese can live in peace..

azim
08-14-2006, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nimrod
Does anyone doubt the validity of the statement “Hezbollah must be disarmed if the UN truce in Lebanon is to last”?

Surely everyone agrees that there will be no lasting peace between Israel and Lebanon with an armed loose cannon like Hezbollah on the scene.

I too would not want to put my people in harms way, for a short term, sure to fail, goal. It makes no sense.

Thanks
Nimrod
How can a cannon be disarmed? :P

More seriously though, its unfair to think of Hezbollah as the loose cannon here.

Remember that the view of Israel as a legitimate and peaceful state is not one shared by its neighbours due its aggressive action across the Middle East.

Hezbollah are a peoples movement with a hugely popular civilian arm that presents welfare services to the Lebanese public.

There will be no lasting peace until Israel stops occupying land and acting aggressively. Remove the source of the problem and the problem goes away. It's simple as long as you keep in mind the history of events since Israel's conception.

nimrod
08-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Zulkifilm, I assume that when you say Israel is a terrorist state, you are not referring to the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel.

I offer up the fact that Hezbollah isn’t a state, and as such, it enjoys none of the rights given to a state.

Hezbollah is banditry.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Thanks
Nimrod

nimrod
08-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Azim, I can’t tell if you meant for your posts to be taken seriously or not, sorry.

Thanks
Nimrod

מדינת ישׂראל
08-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Zulkifilm, I assume that when you say Israel is a terrorist state, you are not referring to the current conflict between Hezbollah and Israel.

I offer up the fact that Hezbollah isn’t a state, and as such, it enjoys none of the rights given to a state.

Hezbollah is banditry.

Thanks
Nimrod
Good post.

Hashim_507
08-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Why dont the un create there own army, they could challenge the war mongers like bush.

QuranStudy
08-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Why dont the un create there own army, they could challenge the war mongers like bush.
They should nuke Israel first.

nimrod
08-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Tikvah, I don't want to leave this with the impression that I approve of all that Israel has done.

There is more than enough of wrong doing to go around.

Thanks
Nimrod

Hashim_507
08-14-2006, 03:09 AM
The un is a joke without an army...

Keltoi
08-14-2006, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
The un is a joke without an army...
The "army" of the U.N. is made up of the member nations. Unfortunately, since the member nations can't agree on anything, the chances of a viable military force enforcing resolutions isn't high.

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Australian Prime Minister John Howard has said Hezbollah must be disarmed if the UN truce in Lebanon is to last.......
Can you provide a link please? I can't seem to find the article on any of the main news websites [SMH, DT, The Age, news.com.au]...

Hashim_507
08-14-2006, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The "army" of the U.N. is made up of the member nations. Unfortunately, since the member nations can't agree on anything, the chances of a viable military force enforcing resolutions isn't high.
Thats not good when the nations disagree on un army.... The reason is because the wars and conflicts in the world are endless!! :grumbling

guyabano
08-14-2006, 06:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Could you provide a source, please?
ups, I forgot:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4787943.stm

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
^Howard is a bum. Today he was trying to pass a bill for all immigrants to be deported offshore and have their future decided there instead of them coming here directly.

Geronimo
08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
They should nuke Israel first.
HA HA HA HA HA and what do you the US response would be? Do you think any delegate of the UN would be able to make it out of NY? we pay 25% of the operation costs of the UN. If they decided they wanted to nuke or even challenge us where would they get that extra money from?

Geronimo
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vaseline
^Howard is a bum. Today he was trying to pass a bill for all immigrants to be deported offshore and have their future decided there instead of them coming here directly.
Sounds like sound policy to me. If we could do that with Mexico I'd be all for it

azim
08-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Azim, I can’t tell if you meant for your posts to be taken seriously or not, sorry.

Thanks
Nimrod
Joke about loose cannon = not seriously.

The rest of the post continuing from "more seriously though" = serious.

wilberhum
08-14-2006, 07:48 PM
My best guess is that Hezbollah will not unarm and in the near future things will be just like they were last week. I hope I’m wrong, but only time will tell.

nimrod
08-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Azim, “Remove the source of the problem and the problem goes away”.

What exactly does “Remove the source of the problem” mean?

Thanks
Nimrod

Obi-Wan
08-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Hezbollah should become part of the official Lebanese army. They should take no action without approval from the Lebanese government.

They most certainly should not disarm. That would leave Lebanon with no capable fighting force. And no useful weapons.

When Armerica gives the Cedar Revolution anti-aircraft missiles, then we'll know that the US supports democracy in the Mid-East.

SirZubair
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Many Australians say he is not credible :D
TOO MANY australians say he is not credible.

..and New Zealanders too. :Evil:

Zulkiflim
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM

Hezbollah is banditry.

Thanks
Nimrod
Salaam,
when did i say Hezbollah is a state?

Pls re read my word carefully...

[PIE]So Israel must be disarmed so that the majority of Palestine and Lebansese can live in peace..[/PIE]

And Inshallah,those that aid and supposrt Israel to murder Lebanese and Palesitnain will be dealth with..

azim
08-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I said: -

There will be no lasting peace until Israel stops occupying land and acting aggressively. Remove the source of the problem and the problem goes away. It's simple as long as you keep in mind the history of events since Israel's conception.
Azim, “Remove the source of the problem and the problem goes away”.

What exactly does “Remove the source of the problem” mean?

Thanks
Nimrod
The problem = Israel occupying land and acting aggressively.

It's all pretty obvious, including whether my post was serious or not.

wilberhum
08-15-2006, 10:26 PM
The problem = Israel occupying land and acting aggressively.
By occupying land I assume you mean "Any Land". They should commit mass suicide and eliminate the problem.

azim
08-16-2006, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
By occupying land I assume you mean "Any Land". They should commit mass suicide and eliminate the problem.
You know in the 1930s Germany, one of the things that the goverment did to demonise Jews is to always take a double-meaning of what was said. A scholar called Tariq Ramadan mentioned this in a lecture once - its something thats happening today to Muslims and that you did just now.

I'm talking about the real issues and real solutions while you (and others) twist and turn whats being said for pointless reasons and do nothing but aggrivate the situation.

Israel currently occupies land in many countries it shares borders with - for example, Lebanon.

It also occupies current terroritory recognised as being Palestinian, and is currently building a 'security-fence' (i.e. neo-Berlin wall) and taking more land with it. The Palestinians live in the most densely populated area on the face of this Earth. Israel is in control of more land then it needs, I'm talking about this land. Since it has never declared its borders then the difference between occupied land and otherwise isn't clear - thats not really my problem.

You're assumption that I'm even hinting that every Jew be killed is not only disgusting, its baseless. Find something better to do with your time.

Keltoi
08-16-2006, 02:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
You know in the 1930s Germany, one of the things that the goverment did to demonise Jews is to always take a double-meaning of what was said. A scholar called Tariq Ramadan mentioned this in a lecture once - its something thats happening today to Muslims and that you did just now.

I'm talking about the real issues and real solutions while you (and others) twist and turn whats being said for pointless reasons and do nothing but aggrivate the situation.

Israel currently occupies land in many countries it shares borders with - for example, Lebanon.

It also occupies current terroritory recognised as being Palestinian, and is currently building a 'security-fence' (i.e. neo-Berlin wall) and taking more land with it. The Palestinians live in the most densely populated area on the face of this Earth. Israel is in control of more land then it needs, I'm talking about this land. Since it has never declared its borders then the difference between occupied land and otherwise isn't clear - thats not really my problem.

You're assumption that I'm even hinting that every Jew be killed is not only disgusting, its baseless. Find something better to do with your time.
I find the comparison to an Israeli security wall to the Berlin Wall as being exactly what you are lecturing against.

nimrod
08-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Zulkifilm “So Israel must be disarmed so that the majority of [] Lebanese can live in peace”. [My edit]

Can you explain that?

Azim “The problem = Israel occupying land and acting aggressively”.

I thought Israel had with drawn from Lebanon several years ago?

How EXACTLY was Israel acting “aggressively” towards Hezbollah or Lebanon, before the Israeli soldiers were murdered and kidnapped?

Thanks
Nimrod

nimrod
08-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Azim, your post makes it sound like the wall being built by Israel, has been done outside of any other events.

I do not want to sound uppity, but your post is an example of why the wall is being built.

Israel is NOT all wrong, and Palestine is not ALL right.

You sound like you are beating Hamas and Hezbollah’s drum.

You may not have intended to come across that way, but you have.

Thanks
Nimrod

wilberhum
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim

It also occupies current terroritory recognised as being Palestinian.
All of these occupations are a result of war. Wars Israel did not start. On both sides of Israel the stated objective is to distroy them. I have total discust for Israel, but I don't see any options for them as long as there distruction is an objective.
Given that objective, what is your solution?

Obi-Wan
08-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I thought Israel had with drawn from Lebanon several years ago?

How EXACTLY was Israel acting “aggressively” towards Hezbollah or Lebanon, before the Israeli soldiers were murdered and kidnapped?
Israeli war planes overflew Lebanon on a regular basis since they were forced out of Lebanon. (It wasn't simply a withdrawal).

Here's an article:
Lebanon's Army captures Israeli Mossad 'Terrorist Ring'

Last Saturday, the army said it had arrested Mahmoud Rafeh, a 59-year-old Lebanese citizen and retired police officer, for a May 26 car bombing that killed Mahmoud Majzoub, a senior Islamic Jihad official, and his brother in front of their home in the southern city of Sidon. Rafeh "had links to Israeli intelligence," a statement said.

On Tuesday, the army said that Rafeh ( L) had confessed to his role in killing the Majzoub brothers, and to other operations ... including bombings that killed two Hezbollah officials;[...]

Investigators found Israeli computers, cameras, ammunition, military uniforms and forged identity cards in ring members' hideouts ( shown below), it added.

The ring smuggled the booby-trapped door of the Mercedes car that killed the Majzoub brothers from Israel, the army said.

[...] An Nahar newspaper reported that Rafeh had been working for the Mossad since 1994. It said the army found in his house forged Lebanese papers that female Mossad agents used to enter the country as the alleged wives of the ring members.

Israeli intelligence agents stayed at the flat Rafeh had rented in Sidon near the residence of the Majzoub brothers to monitor their movements, the paper said.
Israel also holds many Lebanese and Palestinians prisoner, many of them without trial.

therebbe
08-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Israel also holds many Lebanese and Palestinians prisoner, many of them without trial.
Oh? Can you provide the transcripts of the trials for the two Israeli soldiers captrued by Hezbollah and the 1 soldier captured by Hamas. I'd like to see how there trials ended up.

Could you also provide the verdict of the West Bank settler that was executed by Hamas. I would like to see where the jury decided to give the settler the death penalty.

nimrod
08-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Obi-Wan, would you have not done the same thing, had it been your job to protect Israel?

Thanks
Nimrod

Muezzin
08-19-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Oh? Can you provide the transcripts of the trials for the two Israeli soldiers captrued by Hezbollah and the 1 soldier captured by Hamas. I'd like to see how there trials ended up.

Could you also provide the verdict of the West Bank settler that was executed by Hamas. I would like to see where the jury decided to give the settler the death penalty.
So are you saying, because Hamas and Hezbollah commit such injustices, it's okay for the Israeli authorities to stoop to their level?

Obi-Wan
08-19-2006, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
Obi-Wan, would you have not done the same thing, had it been your job to protect Israel?

Thanks
Nimrod
The same as who?
Would I have planted car bombs to protect Israel? No, I wouldn't. Because I know that will only create more hatred of isreal.

Would I have hung on to the Shebaa farms -- which are pretty much useless? No I wouldn't. Because that just gives Hezbollah an angle to legitimise their use of arms.

Would I have refused to help clear Isreali minefields, planted in Lebanon? No. Because these fields will harm Lebanese children farm more than they will harm or obstruct Hezbollah. Thereby creating hate.

Would I have sidelined the Cedar Revolution? No. Because that weakens moderates -- and puts Israel more at risk.

Would I have bombed every part of Lebanon? With the stated intention of punishing innocent people so that they will rise up and do the job Israel cannot do -- IE: disarm Hezbollah. Would I engage in collective punishment of a whole population? You've got to be kidding!

Israel has lost so much because of its recent actions. Do you really think this has made Israel safer? America was even calling on Israel to attack Syria. Thankfully, the Israeli leaders had enough sense of self-preservation to resist this American request. Israel's war with Lebanon was America's signal to Iran. It was for America's benefit -- not Israel's.

What would I have done?
I would have negotiated my way out of Gaza. Strengthening Abbas, instead of sidelining him.

I would negotiated the release of prisoners. I would given the Cedar Revolution victory over Hezbollah instead of making every pro-American politician in the Arab world a pariah in his own state.

I hope Israel has learnt that the use of arms will achieve nothing. But, given what is still happening in Gaza, I have little to justify that hope.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.