/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Superiority Complex

azim
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Asalamu alaykum wr wb.

I was just thinking about this a while ago. As human beings, we quite easily (without even thinking sometimes) feel superior to others, and try to find reasons to feel superior to others.

I was reading a book recently (Out of Eden - tracking the migrations of human colonies across the world from their perceived origin - Africa) and a few chapters worked to dismiss what the author called the Eurocentric view that Europeans were more advanced than the rest of the world and were the first humans to have advanced culture and make breakthroughs in symbolic thought (through poetry, singing, dancing, paintings etc...).

Anyway, this seems to be a common thing, nations and races perceiving superiority over the one another.

I think this is also one of the boundaries to 'real' unity between mankind.

This superiority view can happen in religions as well (although I think its less common within religions when compared to racism and nationalism - perhaps due to the egalistarianism most religions teach).

To stop us Muslims feeling superior - we should remember that no one except the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was guarenteed forgiveness. We can go to the hellfire, and if anyones thinking 'well at least we'll get out of it eventually' then remember then none of us has a guarantee that we'll die Muslim.

May Allah save us all from the fire, and admit us in Jannnah insha'Allah. Ameen.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
bint_muhammed
08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
:-[ :thumbs_up

InToTheRain
08-13-2006, 10:55 PM
:sl:

Agreed bro.

format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Asalamu alaykum wr wb.

To stop us Muslims feeling superior - we should remember that no one except the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was guarenteed forgiveness.
I also read the prophet(Saw) said Jannah is garanteed for the ten blessed sahabas named:

Abu bakr Siddiq
U'mar-e-Farooq
Uthman bin Affa'an
Ali Ibn Abi Talib
Abdur-Rahman bin A'aowf
Sad ibn Abi Waqqas
Said ibn Zayd
Abu Ubaydah bin Al-Jirrah
Talhah ibn Ubaydullah
Zubair bin Al-Awam

and Im pretty sure all the other prophets will get Jannah, could be wrong. Allah knows best.

Mujahidah4Allah
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM

yeh bro you've made a very good point, feeling superior to others can also lead to pride..which is not a good sign

ma'salamah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azim
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah

Agreed bro.

I also read the prophet(Saw) said Jannah is garanteed for the ten blessed sahabas named:

Abu bakr Siddiq
U'mar-e-Farooq
Uthman bin Affa'an
Ali Ibn Abi Talib
Abdur-Rahman bin A'aowf
Sad ibn Abi Waqqas
Said ibn Zayd
Abu Ubaydah bin Al-Jirrah
Talhah ibn Ubaydullah
Zubair bin Al-Awam

and Im pretty sure all the other prophets will get Jannah, could be wrong. Allah knows best.
Asalamu alaykum.

Jazakallahmul khair bro. I remember being told this in a lecture - I believe Suhaib Hasan in the Sirah Tour. I'll have to go look it up insha'Allah.

QuranStudy
08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Zidane...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.