/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gender Confusion :S

azim
08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

Has anyone ever seen a post from a bro/sis, and then replied addressing them as the wrong gender.

Usually I do mistake a brother as a sister (I did it just a minute ago).

Has anyone else done it (in fact I know its happened since Ive seen quite a few brothers correct others on their gender :P).

I'm sure it's got to do with the avatars, and the associations of those pictures we have.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Perhaps we should tke screen pics of the avatars everytime it happens, and then try to establish a pattern.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
lolll....

Finally someone more paranoid than me...

Well, urm...Try to not make that mistake by looking at the brother/sister thing....:rollseyes

BlissfullyJaded
08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
:sl:

A few have called me a brother... :offended:

I tend to look at the gender icon before I address anybody new. That usually helps. :p

Vaseline
08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
On some other forums I've been on, my nickname [which is different to the one I have here] has often gotten others mistaking me for a male ^o) which is the reason the reason why I've kind of feminised my username when I was signing up to this forum (if someone really thought I was a male with the username "Vaseline" then they are stressed, half-dead [or half asleep, but I prefer the dead option in this case....] or they've simply just had too much on during the day!)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azim
08-14-2006, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vaseline
On some other forums I've been on, my nickname [which is different to the one I have here] has often gotten others mistaking me for a male ^o) which is the reason the reason why I've kind of feminised my username when I was signing up to this forum (if someone really thought I was a male with the username "Vaseline" then they are stressed, half-dead [or half asleep, but I prefer the dead option in this case....] or they've simply just had too much on during the day!)
Lol, Valesine seems pretty gender neautral to me.

Visk seems masculine, Deep Heat sounds more feminine... don't know why but I always class Valesine, Wisk, and Deep Heat in the same catergory.

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Lol, Valesine seems pretty gender neautral to me.

Visk seems masculine, Deep Heat sounds more feminine... don't know why but I always class Valesine, Wisk, and Deep Heat in the same catergory.
What's Visk/Wisk? You don't mean Vicks do you? (You guys have Vicks Vapourdrops right???) :?

Anyways, Vaseline is used as a body lotion and lip balm down here. And [hopefully], only girls' use these [mose of the time...] ^o)

And according to my classification, you are either stressed or half-dead :rollseyes

azim
08-14-2006, 02:17 AM
What's Visk/Wisk? You don't mean Vicks do you? (You guys have Vicks Vapourdrops right???) :?

Anyways, Vaseline is used as a body lotion and lip balm down here. And [hopefully], only girls' use these [mose of the time...] ^o)

And according to my classification, you are either stressed or half-dead :rollseyes
Lol...I'm both...I'm sleepy (its 3:16am over here - I've had insomnia for the past few days, getting only a few hours sleep but alhamdulillah).

I meant Vicks sorry. And in the UK Vaseline is used as for the same reason, as well as sometimes hand lotion. I personally cant stand anything that makes me feel greasy...esp. in warm weather.

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Lol...I'm both...I'm sleepy (its 3:16am over here - I've had insomnia for the past few days, getting only a few hours sleep but alhamdulillah).
The only options I put in the quote that you had were only stressed or half-dead. So half-asleep is out of the option. And go to sleep! Speaking of which, it's only 12:30pm (Monday) down here but nonetheless, I only get about 5 hours per night :embarrass

I meant Vicks sorry. And in the UK Vaseline is used as for the same reason, as well as sometimes hand lotion. I personally cant stand anything that makes me feel greasy...esp. in warm weather.
It's warm but cold. Nice and warm in the day, cold [freezing!] in the morning and evening.

I hate winter.

Anyways, let's get back on topic :)

afriend
08-14-2006, 02:47 AM
Perhaps I'll create a new thread called: Vaseline...:rollseyes I'm serious....It's quite good forhealing and for dry skin.

Anyways, the topic:

:threadclo

Just look at the gender....:rollseyes

I can't wait 2 b mod....Only joking :p

Muezzin
08-14-2006, 12:34 PM

'Vaseline' is too feminine to ever be considered a man's user name.

'Old Spice Red Zone' is the manliest product one could ever hope to base one's user name on.

And no, I've never called a male member female and vica versa on LI. There is a little field under the avatar labelled 'Gender'. ;)

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Yes! The keyword is too! Thank you!

Sahabiyaat
08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
:thankyou: nope

the queer un's use it too

once on a coach on the way to a demonstration in london i spotted a 13 yr old boy produce a pocket mirror and apply vaseline to his lips :|...AAARRGGHH

lolwatever
08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
has ne1 seen a post from a genderless creature and accused them of being a bro/sis :D

786rani
08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
only eva once been called bro. proper fumin bout it. i mean my name n myavatar look nuttin like a bro's. but i must admit i do it sumtimes by accident. sooooorrrryyyyy.
rani

Vaseline
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
only eva once been called bro. proper fumin bout it. i mean my name n myavatar look nuttin like a bro's. but i must admit i do it sumtimes by accident. sooooorrrryyyyy.
rani
oh gee, if a brother had a pink rose, then I'd be a bit worried ^o)

edit: :ooh:

afriend
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
oh gee, if a brother had a pink rose, then I'd be a bit worried ^o)

edit: :ooh:
lol...he might have been giving it to his wife/mother/some other female family member....:rollseyes

AvarAllahNoor
08-14-2006, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Unless, you're metrosexual...

Kittygyal
08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

Has anyone ever seen a post from a bro/sis, and then replied addressing them as the wrong gender.

Usually I do mistake a brother as a sister (I did it just a minute ago).

Has anyone else done it (in fact I know its happened since Ive seen quite a few brothers correct others on their gender :P).

I'm sure it's got to do with the avatars, and the associations of those pictures we have.

Anyone got any more ideas?

Perhaps we should tke screen pics of the avatars everytime it happens, and then try to establish a pattern.
salam.
don't worry it has happened to me many times don't worry about it.
w.salam

Daffodil
08-14-2006, 03:53 PM
oh my god azim u have far too much time on ur hands.

Halima
08-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I look at the gender icon before I address anybody new. That usually helps.
If you follow that, then you'll never go wrong.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.