/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music...

mlsh27
08-14-2006, 01:19 AM
I know that musical intstruments besides drums are haram...but is there a LOGICAL reason why...please don't just say because it is said so in Islam...I would like a logical reason. Music can be very helpful in life, so I don't see why instruments are so bad.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
08-14-2006, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I know that musical intstruments besides drums are haram...but is there a LOGICAL reason why...please don't just say because it is said so in Islam...I would like a logical reason. Music can be very helpful in life, so I don't see why instruments are so bad.
Asalamu alaykum.

There is a difference of opinion among scholars regarding music, so it might be beneficial to read up on it, although, as you said, the majority view is the one you stated.

The scholars unanimously agree that music inciting haram thoughts/activities are haram, and this is pretty obvious. Just take a look at how many children across the world spend their time emulating Tupac and 50 cent to see the power that music has to misguide.

The scholars who believe that music is haram cite Surah Luqman, verse 6 as evidence for it: -

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire). (31:6)

A sahabi, I forget which, said "wallahi 'idle talks' refers to music and singing". Music often makes us forget about Allah, the akirah and the haq which is Islam.

However, I think Ansar-al-Adl gave you the best advice in a previous thread when said if you are not willing to accept things from the Quran/Sunnah that have no apparent logic reason - then confirming your faith in the divine origin of the Quran and Sunnah may be the best thing to do.

Our logic and reasoning is so restricted - we cannot pick and choose from Islam.

Asalaamu alaykum wr wb.

mlsh27
08-14-2006, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Asalamu alaykum.

There is a difference of opinion among scholars regarding music, so it might be beneficial to read up on it, although, as you said, the majority view is the one you stated.

The scholars unanimously agree that music inciting haram thoughts/activities are haram, and this is pretty obvious. Just take a look at how many children across the world spend their time emulating Tupac and 50 cent to see the power that music has to misguide.

The scholars who believe that music is haram cite Surah Luqman, verse 6 as evidence for it: -

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire). (31:6)

A sahabi, I forget which, said "wallahi 'idle talks' refers to music and singing". Music often makes us forget about Allah, the akirah and the haq which is Islam.

However, I think Ansar-al-Adl gave you the best advice in a previous thread when said if you are not willing to accept things from the Quran/Sunnah that have no apparent logic reason - then confirming your faith in the divine origin of the Quran and Sunnah may be the best thing to do.

Our logic and reasoning is so restricted - we cannot pick and choose from Islam.

Asalaamu alaykum wr wb.

I am talking exclusively about instrumental music...no singing...and playing instruments. It has been found that children who play instruments generally get higher grades than those who don't. Why is something that is beneficial so bad?

azim
08-14-2006, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I am talking exclusively about instrumental music...no singing...and playing instruments. It has been found that children who play instruments generally get higher grades than those who don't. Why is something that is beneficial so bad?
Asalamu alaykum.

The link between playing an instrument and higher grades is tenuous. I remember reading about it online somewhere. The article mentioned other reasons for the links - i.e. wealtheir parents who give their children more support in all areas, children who can play instruments well also have a naturally higher IQ, children acheiving lower grades usually have less motivation in school so are less likely to pursue extra-curricular activity.

Not that any of the above is directly relevant to this thread, just thought I'd point it out.

Beyond what I've already sis, I can't bring any 'logical' reasons why instruments are forbidden.

You hate these words but their true - "Trust Allah".

If you believe in his deen and what he has sent down to his Prophet, Muhammad (pbuh), then believe in the restrictions and prohibitions he has set in place.

Jihad is ordained for you though you dislike it,and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know. (2:216)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.