/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Worshipping the moon...

dishdash
08-14-2006, 03:51 PM
A few weeks ago, a fellow came up to me and accused me of worshipping the moon. This was a fascinating revelation, so I engaged the chap. Apparently because the crescent moon is on many of our flags, it was obvious that this is what we did. And indeed, Allah is some derivation of an Arabic word for God.

I asked him did Australians worship the stars and he accused me of being silly.

I thought about it and asked him had he heard about the huge uproar with regards to the cartoon of our Prophet. Yes said he - something of an overreaction on our part apparently. I said that is as maybe. But what sort of uproar do you think the world would have experienced from us crazy moon-worshippers in 1969 when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin had gone for a walk all over the face of our God...

He then agreed that the idea of worshipping the moon was perhaps indeed a little bit silly.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
08-14-2006, 03:52 PM
humm you worship the moon i have seen couple of people doing that too humma m not sure :(

amirah_87
08-14-2006, 03:57 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

But what sort of uproar do you think the world would have experienced from us crazy moon-worshippers in 1969 when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin had gone for a walk all over the face of our God...
MashaAllah, that was a good come back :thumbs_up

QuranStudy
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Do Jews worship the star of David??

Do Christians worship the cross?

Do Hindus worship a wheel?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
08-15-2006, 03:28 AM
If we worship the moon, we will be GODLESS in daytime.....

syilla
08-15-2006, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
If we worship the moon, we will be GODLESS in daytime.....
lol... :D

DigitalStorm82
08-15-2006, 07:53 AM
lol...

But we didn't land on the moon in 1969... it was all a hoax

Woodrow
08-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I can not belive there are still people who actually believe that old myth about us being moon worshippers.

north_malaysian
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Moon is only important to decide eids or prayer times....

Keltoi
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
I believe this idea of "moon worship" comes from ancient times, when pagan gods were worshipped. In Europe there were hundreds of pagan gods worshipped, everything from Odin to Mithras. The same in the Arab and Egyptian world. From Ra to this particular moon god. Many religious scholars, with a vendetta against Islam, draw a connection between the crescent moon and that particular moon god. Although it is blatantly obvious that Islam has nothing to do with the moon, some people like to make themselves feel superior by falling back on the "moon god" connection. Muslims don't appreciate it, and rightly so. The same way Christians don't appreciate it when someone mentions the various pagan connections to some Christian days of worship.

QuranStudy
08-16-2006, 04:03 PM
The same way Christians don't appreciate it when someone mentions the various pagan connections to some Christian days of worship.
Many customs in Christianity has a pagan background. Christmas trees, for instance.

Keltoi
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Many customs in Christianity has a pagan background. Christmas trees, for instance.
It was a common practice in Germany to celebrate the winter solstice. The Catholic Church estimated that Christ was born during the winter solstice, so this day of religious observance blended with more cultural celebrations of winter. Along with the St. Nickolas figure who brought children gifts during the hard days of winter, the same guy I used to wait for behind my couch on Christmas Eve....unfortunately he never showed up, but I recieved gifts anyway..:uhwhat

QuranStudy
08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Also, dyed eggs in Easter was of pagan origin, was it not?

Keltoi
08-16-2006, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Also, dyed eggs in Easter was of pagan origin, was it not?
Yes, I believe that was a cultural celebration of spring. It was hard for many in Europe, especially in the beginning, to give up their cultural celebrations. The Catholic Church, realizing that while paganism itself was gone, for the most part, from Europe, the days of cultural celebration were hard to stamp out. So these celebrations took on a Christian dynamic. This is why celebrations like Christmas and Easter, important days to Christendom, also have strange traditions of cutting down a cedar tree and covering it with decorations and pretty lights, or painting eggs for children to find. Very confusing as a child...I had images in my head of a giant rabbit talking to Jesus. I would be happy if these traditions disappeared, because it muddles the point of the observance to begin with. Children connect these days to gifts and giant rabbits with eggs, not Christ. For the most part.

Woodrow
08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Let us return to the topic. If anybody recalls the topic here is to explain that we as Muslims do not worship the Moon. That is an old myth and misconception.

The purpose of this thread is not to look for fault in any other religion. We only need to show the truth about what we believe.

SASB
08-16-2006, 04:33 PM
lol I love ur response!!!
good on u for managing to debate ur point and stand up for urself!

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-16-2006, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is an old myth and misconception.
And it has been conclusively debunked using historical and archaeological evidence here:
http://www.islamic-awareness.org/Qur...h/moongod.html

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.