/* */

PDA

View Full Version : To our non-Moslem friends...

dishdash
08-14-2006, 03:57 PM
To our respected non-Muslim friends...

The HeiGou's, the Snakelegs, the Lavikors, the CZGibsons, etc...........

Since joining Islamic Board, what, if anything, have you learned about Muslims? Any surprises? Any stereotypes confirmed?

And to my respected brothers and sisters in Islam, please hold back on posting in refutation or denial or anything like that - sit back and hold off, and perhaps take on board some sincere feedback...

Mods - please make sure that the non-Moslems do not get harangued here insh'Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
QuranStudy
08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Good thread.

snakelegs
08-15-2006, 03:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dishdash

Since joining Islamic Board, what, if anything, have you learned about Muslims? Any surprises? Any stereotypes confirmed?

And to my respected brothers and sisters in Islam, please hold back on posting in refutation or denial or anything like that - sit back and hold off, and perhaps take on board some sincere feedback...

Mods - please make sure that the non-Moslems do not get harangued here insh'Allah.
i didn't have a negative sterotype of muslims when i came here. until i came here, all the muslims i've known and interacted with have been varying degrees of religious, they all had the ability to think for themselves and not blindly follow anyone. none were as strict as a lot of people here.
i hope i don't offend anybody here, but will answer quite honestly.
i am thankful that i had this background before i discovered this forum! the people who make the most noise here are really quite extreme (in my view) in the religious department.
if i were to judge muslims on the basis of a lot of the people on this board, i think it would be easy to form a negative stereotype of muslims. i have found some of these people very disturbing and especially in the beginning, outright shocking.
p.s. glad to see you back here, dishdash!

ManchesterFolk
08-15-2006, 03:32 AM
I always thought that Islam was not extreme, and people who were extreme spoke very loudly.

I noticed, that Islam creates some very extreme people who cannot accept the west, and I am not sure what to think.

Are the extremists the majority? I am thinking so...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SirZubair
08-15-2006, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
p.s. glad to see you back here, dishdash!
So am i ! he makes me look sane :p

snakelegs
08-16-2006, 06:12 PM
where is everybody? hmmmmf.....

Muezzin
08-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Sir, yes, sir!

SirZubair
08-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Come on my Non-muslim Brothers, get out of the World Conflict Section and come on over to the slightly lighter side for a minute ;)

wilberhum
08-16-2006, 06:51 PM
For some reason I feel "To our non-Moslem friends", does not include me. I have never felt "Befrined". No complaints, just stating why I never responded.

SirZubair
08-16-2006, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
For some reason I feel "To our non-Moslem friends", does not include me. I have never felt "Befrined". No complaints, just stating why I never responded.
Chill out bro ;)

Everyone is a friend until they are your enemy ;) look at it that way :p having said that, you've still got one or two friends on this forum, including me :p

glo
08-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Hmmm ... I am learning a great deal about my Muslim brothers and sisters.

I am, for example, learning that not all Muslim women are timid little things who cannot speak up for themselves! :giggling:
I am meeting people of both genders who are very interested to engage in discussion and debate.
I am meeting Muslims who are very questioning of everything around them, and wanting to find answers and understand.

But, like snakelegs, I also read opinions and observe attitudes which worry me considerably, and which I would describe as very conservative at best and as extremist at worst.
Sometimes I read 'Muslim views' in the paper and I think to myself "Surely that's just the media misquoting things or blowing things out of proportion" ... only to find people in this forum saying just the same sort of stuff. (Don't ask me for any examples, because haven't been around for a while)

Does that make sense ... :?

Peace.

Keltoi
08-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Like the others, I had experience with Muslims before, and had a positive outlook. Also, and some have mentioned, many Muslims on this forum I find to be quite extreme and somewhat hysterical. I'm not sure if this is due to the "faceless" nature of internet forums, which might cause some to act out in ways they might not otherwise, or there are really this many Muslims with what I consider to be extreme religious and political views. On the positive side I have met many thoughtful and open-minded individuals on here, and that is what keeps me coming back.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I was surprised to find so many muslims in the USA with extreme beliefs.

I've learned much about Islam, and I'm grateful for this.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.