/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How would you explain to a 4 year old?

Arwa
06-04-2005, 02:52 PM
:sl: wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

How would you explain to a 4 year old who Allah is?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
A7med
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
try saying ...." allah made u" :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Arwa
06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
What happened what, I asked my neice (4 years old) had she prayed? (It was maghrib time) .. and obviously as a 4 year old she hadn't. ..and she said yeah. So I go, are you sure? Allah doesn't like girls who lie? .. Then she said no.
I then told her I'm going to pray you pray too..just copy what I do. So she did alhamdulillah.
After praying, she asked me who Allah was?
So I was like.. hmmm ... and then I pointed towards the sky and said He is there.
..and she asked me is He small?
Which to I replied, nope.. He is very big and that's why He is up there.

:zip:

Uthman
06-04-2005, 02:59 PM
:sl:

Allah is 'someone' (<-- eek!) who made eeeeeeeeeverything and made us as well. :brother: Oh, dear! I have no idea!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ABDULLAH SAOOD
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Assalamo-alaikum-warahmatullahi-wabrakatu

Mashallah - it is very important that kids recognise Allah swt from an early age. We must be careful how we explain Allah to children

Here are some ideas that may be of use -

First and foremost that ALLAH IS ONE there is no other allah (Tauheed) and then I would suggest say to kids that they can talk to Allah[Again, 5 year olds would have more comprehension here so you can use the word "pray" instead.]. Stress that Allah especially loves little children, but He is invisible and that even though nobody can see Him, He can see us. He's the one that makes the clouds and day and night and thunder and lightening and makes it rain and snow.

We can talk to Him and tell Him all of our secrets and also ask Him for things and even ask Him to make things better. Sometimes He will give us what we ask for. We can talk (pray) to Him when we are sad or scared or happy or just want to thank Him for something. He loves us all very much. Especially little children. And we all love Him too.

Say also: Allah wants little children to grow up to be big and strong because He loves them so very much. Did you know that Allah is always there? He's there beside you right now, but you can't see Him because He's invisible. Allah knows everything that is happening to grown ups and to little kids too. It is so nice. He is our best friend. He really loves little children because they are so special.

Inshallah hope that helps!!

Wassalam
Br ABDULLAH

Muhammad
06-04-2005, 03:26 PM

I am amazed actually at how such young people can pick up the concept of God...and quickly become accustomed to the fact that you cannot hide from Him and He becomes Angry when you do something bad etc.. Subhan'Allaah. Believe it or not, I don't think you need to do much explaining at all, because after all everyone is born with the Fitrah.

Perhaps if you had not told her where Allaah is, she might have been the one to tell you had you asked her! So just do your best to tell her that Allaah is to Whom we pray, He is Watching all the time etc. and by telling her that Allaah is Pleased/Angry with certain acts, the rest will come naturally Insha'Allaah.

Arwa
06-04-2005, 03:39 PM
wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Good stuff AS and Muhammad.
I told her that Allah doesn't like littles girls who lie.. He will get angry with you and you don't want that happening do you? ..and she replied Nope.
..and then I told her, if you don't lie and you pray, Allah will be very happy with you and he won't hurt you.
Now I've read your post AS - I'm like, I shouldb've said all that.. but she asked out o the blue after salah and I was like :confused: .

Muhammad - I was actually surprised she asked me that question.. I actually thought she'd have some idea. I thought her mum would've atleast told her something, cos masha'Allah she is practsing. :)

Danish
06-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Tell her when she is old enuf to understand.....

Far7an
06-04-2005, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish
Tell her when she is old enuf to understand.....
Assalamu 'alaikum

I dont agree with this, they should be taught about Islam and Allah from an early age.

MashaAllah ABDULLAH SAOOD and Muhammad posts were really good. :thumbs_up

Arwa
06-04-2005, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan247
Assalamu 'alaikum

I dont agree with this, they should be taught about Islam and Allah from an early age.

MashaAllah ABDULLAH SAOOD and Muhammad posts were really good. :thumbs_up

..and I agree 100% with you. :D :D

BlissfullyJaded
06-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Just cause she's 4 doesn't mean she doesn't understand. Kids do understand more than we think. :)

:thumbsup: @ bro Abdullah and Muhammad

Muhammad
06-04-2005, 06:46 PM

Jazakallah Khayr for your comments!

HumbleServant
06-04-2005, 06:52 PM
assalamu alaikum

mashallah

my nephew who is 5 always asks me these kind of questions, we always have a 'heart to heart' when i pik him up from school ;D

anyway alhamdulillah he always asks me thez kind of questions, the first he asked was 'who's allah?' an i told im that allah made us all, he's the greatest who knows everything u do, thats why we shud say thank u oh allah everyday becoz he gives us books, toys and cars, (and all other things kids are into!) and you can talk to allah about anyting n he'll listen, and if u want something, always ask allah for it, and he'll give it to u. so he listened quite carefully and then the next day it was raining so he goz 'why duz it rain' and then i told him that allah sends the rain because flowers need rain to grow, n the flowers are so beautiful rent there (n like a kid he agreed with me lol) and if it didnt rain then itd be really hot like it is in pakistan :D and everyone wud get really thirsty, so rains very good. then he started praising rain ;D subhanallah, but lyk this, he always now asks questions, n he has a mch better undrstanding of who Allah is, inshallah his wish to seek knowledge will continue! along with ur niece arwa sis, and everyone else's children. inshallah. but a miracle is the facct that after our talks on allah and how beautiful everything is, my nephew now sees the kaabah (wich i told im was the house of allah where we need to pray towards, allah doesnt live there because allahs everywhere, but he wants us 2 pray towards there - its really nice isnt it?n he agreed again lol) when he sees it, he wants to go to 'hajj' and 'umrah' and when he's crying he starts sayin he wants to go to Allah so subhanallah it tkes effect n has a difference if we explain to them in a 'kiddy' fashion/ never brush them off wen it cms to questions regrding islam. we all inshallah want them to be aalims/aalimas dont we!!

but one thing they really get xcited about is if u say 'when u want a toy or sumthing, ask allah for it' and always tell them about jannat and jahannum, that heavens for the good people, n if u listen to ur mum n dad, n be good, n share ur toys with the lil ones, youll go there, n hells for those people who are rude, and swear alot, and dont eat their dinner, and fight with others. :) inshallah hope it is of some help

walaikumussalam

Arwa
06-04-2005, 07:22 PM

haha aww that's cute! masha'Allah! :sister:

Well that's good alhamdulillah, atleast the child has a better understanding of Allah at such a young age masha'Allah.

Ameen to the dua. :sister:

Ibn Syed
06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
The best way to describe Allah(swt) would be his 99 names or what is said in the Quran about him. That should help.
:w:

Usayd
06-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Im sure the parent(s) could educate them in this matter? After all it is their responsibility to make sure their child grows up in an Islamic Environment. Instead of consulting the child maybe consult the mother or father and ask them if they are taking the neccersary actions to ensure a structured upbringing.

S_87
06-05-2005, 12:52 PM

my niece enjoys stories so i kinda tell her in story way.. :S

Far7an
06-05-2005, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

my niece enjoys stories so i kinda tell her in story way.. :S
Assalamu 'alaikum

Yes I find this is useful when telling stories to my cousins, not to use complicated words. Always remember that basic terms which we use regularly are not known to them. Take it slow and tell the story in an enjoyable manner. :)

Danish
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
well, its better not to tell here until she understand, rather than giving her the WRONG concept of Allah (SWT) in trying to explain, which is far worser sin...like saying he is a big man up in sky, astagfirullah

if she understand what god is, then i say xplain again..if she is not old enuf then dont

but dont use stupid examples like Mr. Tibbles and Miss. Tuffty when some ppl explain to kids where babies come from...that's wrong as there is nothing like unto Allah (SWT) as stated in surah ikhlas

Far7an
06-05-2005, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danish

well, its better not to tell here until she understand, rather than giving her the WRONG concept of Allah (SWT) in trying to explain, which is far worser sin...like saying he is a big man up in sky, astagfirullah

if she understand what god is, then i say xplain again..if she is not old enuf then dont
wa alaikumusalaam

Jazakallah khair for your reply, I agree sometimes kids do Misinterpret but it is for us to make them understand ...

Like brother AS said

We must be careful how we explain Allah to children
brother Muhammad also made a good point
I am amazed actually at how such young people can pick up the concept of God.
Some kids are more intelligent than others, It does not mean we deprive them of deeni knowledge.

but dont use stupid examples like Mr. Tibbles and Miss. Tuffty when some ppl explain to kids where babies come from...that's wrong as there is nothing like unto Allah (SWT) as stated in surah ikhlas
I agree akhee, you do not have to resort to using such names and examples to demonstrate the greatness of Allah :)

Z
06-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Let the child discover Allah herself? Here's a little something you could buy.

I would have to agree with everything Danish said, well said brother.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.