/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Don't be shy to fly our flag

north_malaysian
08-15-2006, 03:14 AM
KUALA LUMPUR: In the run-up to National Day, MAlaysians have been told they should not be shy about flying the 'Jalur Gemilang' (Malaysian flag) - not only at commercial premises but also at their homes.

Information minister Datuk Zainuddin Maidin said Malaysians should take the initiative to show their patriotic spirit and love for the country.

"We should not be mere followers. We must be pioneers. Dont wait for others before following suit.

"Some people are shy to put up the flag at their houses. It is not embarassing, so why feel shy?" he told reporters after the hoisting of a giant Jalur Gemilang at Wisma TV, Angkasapuri, yesterday.

According to the minister, those who did not fly Jalur GEmilang WERE UNPATRIOTIC AND HAD NO LOVE FOR THE COUNTRY.

Source: The Star, 15.08.06, page N12.

Any comments?:rolleyes:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-16-2006, 11:52 PM
I am always a bit suspicious about anything that that may be seen as promoting Nationalism of any form. Our first Alligence should be to Allah(swt). I can not understand the views of a country that is Majority Muslim to embrace the flying of a secular flag. I do not believe the people are shy to fly the flag, I tend to believe that they see it as an attempt to place the Government above Allah(swt)

therebbe
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am always a bit suspicious about anything that that may be seen as promoting Nationalism of any form. Our first Alligence should be to Allah(swt). I can not understand the views of a country that is Majority Muslim to embrace the flying of a secular flag. I do not believe the people are shy to fly the flag, I tend to believe that they see it as an attempt to place the Government above Allah(swt)
So do you hold any loyalty to your country the Unites States of America Woodrow? I'm not saying it has to be above Allah, but do you hold any loyalty to America? Or is your only loyalty to Islam and the "Ummah"?

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
So do you hold any loyalty to your country the Unites States of America Woodrow? I'm not saying it has to be above Allah, but do you hold any loyalty to America? Or is your only loyalty to Islam and the "Ummah"?
I believe that my loyalty to Allah(swt) demands that I obey and support my country as long as My country does not force me to go against Allah(swt) So, far in the Past 66 years of my life, my country has never asked me to place secular loyalty above loyalty to God(swt)

I believe I have paid a sufficient price in service of my country and I do not need to explain or justify my loyalty to any man.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
therebbe
08-17-2006, 12:40 AM
I believe I have paid a sufficient price in service of my country and I do not need to explain or justify my loyalty to any man.
Understand that I am not asking you to justify anything to me. Just trying to get a deeper understanding to the place a Muslim man in a secular country puts his loyalty to. :)

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Understand that I am not asking you to justify anything to me. Just trying to get a deeper understanding to the place a Muslim man in a secular country puts his loyalty to. :)
No problem. I will just say that I was born in Hartford, Ct. Served over 7 years years in the military and severly disabled in the line of duty. I will gladly die for the USA as long as what I am supporting does not ask me to defy Allah(swt)

therebbe
08-17-2006, 12:46 AM
No problem. I will just say that I was born in Hartford, Ct. Served over 7 years years in the military and severly disabled in the line of duty. I will gladly die for the USA as long as what I am supporting does not ask me to defy Allah(swt)
Very admirable. :)

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Actually Muslims have a long history in the USA. For the most part they live in peace and unnoticed by their neighbors. Every Muslim I know is supportive of the US. There are policies we disagree with, but we choose to voice our opposistion in the manners prescribed by the constitution.

Yes, we do love America and are loyal to it's laws. It is just that we love Allah(swt) above all else.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 12:55 AM

Edit

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 12:56 AM

America does everything agiasnt Islam and defy Allah S.W.T. How could you be in USA military since they defy Allah S.W.T from long time? What war did you serve American military?

therebbe
08-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Actually Muslims have a long history in the USA. For the most part they live in peace and unnoticed by their neighbors. Every Muslim I know is supportive of the US. There are policies we disagree with, but we choose to voice our opposistion in the manners prescribed by the constitution.

Yes, we do love America and are loyal to it's laws. It is just that we love Allah(swt) above all else.
I know there is a pretty large Muslim community in Michigan, is there one in Austin Texas as well?

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 01:01 AM
I know there is a pretty large Muslim community in Michigan, is there one in Austin Texas as well?
We are not in any particular community in Austin. We are spread around pretty evenly throughout the city. There are no areas yould designate as being a Muslim neighborhood. The Apartment building I live in is mostly Pakistan and Jewish people, however the adjacent buildings are a wide mixture of ethnic groups.

Very large in Austin. I would say nearly 25% of the total population. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have many more than Austin in total numbers, but are much lower in percentage of population. Remember, Austin is a fairly small city.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Very large in Austin. I would say nearly 25% of the total population. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have many more than Austin in total numbers, but are much lower in percentage of population. Remember, Austin is a fairly small city.
Wow. I did not know that at all. How did Muslim communities become so large in places like Michigan(midwest) and Texas(south)?

I would expect LA, and NYC to have the largest. I had no idea about Austin.

Samee
08-17-2006, 01:06 AM

:sl:

I think saying that we love america is going a bit too far. I understand that it is not right to just outburst on a country, much less the country that we live in, but this nation has committed reprehensible actions that shall never be forgiven.

This country has destroyed my homeland (Afghanistan) in search of one man who they seemingly "cannot find." 30,000 is the death toll, and still counting. They've also destroyed Iraq, a place that had never threatened the US. Ever. I think it is not justifiable to say that any muslim should love America. Not after what they have done to us as a whole.

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee

I think saying that we love america is going a bit too far. I understand that it is not right to just outburst on a country, much less the country that we live in, but this nation has committed reprehensible actions that shall never be forgiven.

This country has destroyed my homeland (Afghanistan) in search of one man who they seemingly "cannot find." 30,000 is the death toll, and still counting. They've also destroyed Iraq, a place that had never threatened the US. Ever. I think it is not justifiable to say that any muslim should love America. Not after what they have done to us as a whole.
Perhaps the word Love carries too strong of connontations for most people that do not have Englicsh as a native language. In english we are very limited in words that reflect appreciation and loyalty. Love in English does not have the same strength as it has in say, Arabic, Urdu or Greek.

with that said, those of us who were born here have very strong loyalty to our nation. We recognise the wrongs it it has done and we do not like those. We do our best to rectify those wrongs. Channals are available to us to voicre our concerns over the wrongs we see done and we openly express them. Loyalty to a country does not mean blind following or to place the country above religious beliefs. But, it does mean to have sufficient respect to use the established means to correct the wrongs as we find them.

syilla
08-17-2006, 01:16 AM
IMHO...

flying flags are just to remember how we have achieved freedom...thats all...

I put Allah above all...but i also love my country. It is just one big happy family. I'm not saying my country is perfect...but what is wrong in loving one imperfect country. If you don't support them...how they are going to improve into a better place for the muslims to live in...

lavikor201
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
IMHO...

I put Allah above all...but i also love my country. It is just one big happy family. I'm not saying my country is perfect...but what is wrong in loving one imperfect country. If you don't support them...how they are going to improve into a better place for the muslims to live in...
Good post.

Samee
08-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Perhaps the word Love carries too strong of connontations for most people that do not have Englicsh as a native language. In english we are very limited in words that reflect appreciation and loyalty. Love in English does not have the same strength as it has in say, Arabic, Urdu or Greek.

with that said, those of us who were born here have very strong loyalty to our nation. We recognise the wrongs it it has done and we do not like those. We do our best to rectify those wrongs. Channals are available to us to voicre our concerns over the wrongs we see done and we openly express them. Loyalty to a country does not mean blind following or to place the country above religious beliefs. But, it does mean to have sufficient respect to use the established means to correct the wrongs as we find them.

To say that we recognize the wrongs of the country and we try our best to recitify these wrongs just isn't enough I am afaid. Our brothers and sisters are dead, are dying and will die due to the actions of this country.

But Fair enough. It's just too bad that imbeciles run the government.

:w:

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee

To say that we recognize the wrongs of the country and we try our best to recitify these wrongs just isn't enough I am afaid. Our brothers and sisters are dead, are dying and will die due to the actions of this country.

But Fair enough. It's just too bad that imbeciles run the government.

:w:
I like these words:

It's just too bad that imbeciles run the government.
Now as Americans it is our responsability to use our collective voting strngth to assure that is corrected. It all begins on the local levels. You being in New York are probably aware that your local Borough has more say over the government you live under, then the Feds have. Not every City is like NYC and not every State is like NY. I suspect you will find many more Bush Supporters in NYC than you will find in the entire State of Texas.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 01:32 AM
I like these words:

Now as Americans it is our responsability to use our collective voting strngth to assure that is corrected. It all begins on the local levels. You being in New York are probably aware that your local Borough has more say over the government you live under, then the Feds have. Not every City is like NYC and not every State is like NY. I suspect you will find many more Bush Supporters in NYC than you will find in the entire State of Texas.
Yep you can either vote for Homosexuality or more killing of muslims which one you choose?

therebbe
08-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Yep you can either vote for Homosexuality or more killing of muslims which one you choose?
Homosexuality will exist, if you deny them marriage you will not all of a sudden see Homosexuality disapear. Its not like there is a vote to have homosexuality banned. You cannot do that.

But how about looking on the positive side of politics?

You can vote for better education, or less taxes to pay. :)

Keltoi
08-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Speaking for me personally, when I fly the American flag it is in remembrance for those who serve and served my country, those that paid the ultimate sacrifice and those who came home, like Woodrow. Thanks for the service Woodrow.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Homosexuality will exist, if you deny them marriage you will not all of a sudden see Homosexuality disapear. Its not like there is a vote to have homosexuality banned. You cannot do that.

But how about looking on the positive side of politics?

You can vote for better education, or less taxes to pay. :)
Actually if you vote for conservatives you will vote out homosexuality but there will be wars all over the muslim world. If you vote liberials there will be no wars but homosexuality will be allowed. Besides I meant for the muslims who vote in america ofcourse this affects them more then non muslims.

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy
It is not quite as morbid as you make it seem. Our biggest enemy in the USA has been public apathy, too many people have become compaicent and fail to take up their individual responsability to assure that our elected officials truly do represent the views of the people. To see the overall views you have to meet people from each region and each State. If you were to do so, I believe you would see that there are more people that favor the rights of Palestine and the other Islamic countries, than that are opposed. We just need to get away from our cozy chairs and make our views known.

I grew up in the New England States. I loved the scenary and the natural Beauty of Northern Ct and Western Massachusets. But, I do not like the politics of the region, so now I choose to live in Texas. Many American's are fed up with the big business policies of some of our elected officials and time will show that dissatisfaction as election years come.

Keltoi
08-17-2006, 01:48 AM
I think another major problem is the two-party system itself, but that is way off topic.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Actually if you vote for conservatives you will vote out homosexuality but there will be wars all over the muslim world. If you vote liberials there will be no wars but homosexuality will be allowed. Besides I meant for the muslims who vote in america ofcourse this affects them more then non muslims.
Completly wrong.

The conservatives in America can limit the rights of Homosexuals, like denying them marriage rights, but Homosexuality will not cease to exist no matter who is in power. It is against the Constitution to 'ban homosexuality'. It will not happen.

If you elect liberals you will not see wars go away either, because hate it or love it, America will defend itself against terrorism under a liberal or conservative. The response time, and the threat the country is under will effect how much liberals will defend America as opposed to Democrats.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 01:52 AM
It is not quite as morbid as you make it seem. Our biggest enemy in the USA has been public apathy, too many people have become compaicent and fail to take up their individual responsability to assure that our elected officials truly do represent the views of the people. To see the overall views you have to meet people from each region and each State. If you were to do so, I believe you would see that there are more people that favor the rights of Palestine and the other Islamic countries, than that are opposed. We just need to get away from our cozy chairs and make our views known.

I grew up in the New England States. I loved the scenary and the natural Beauty of Northern Ct and Western Massachusets. But, I do not like the politics of the region, so now I choose to live in Texas. Many American's are fed up with the big business policies of some of our elected officials and time will show that dissatisfaction as election years come.
As far as i am concered the whole world protested U.N. did not even allow america to go to war yet geroge bush did. If it was a muslim country or any other country besides west. They would have been in big trouble with U.N. So me going around talking to helpless government offcials will not do me any good. I rather just stay in my cozy chair.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
U.N. did not even allow america to go to war yet geroge bush did. If it was a muslim country or any other country besides west. They would have been in big trouble with U.N.
Be sure to not contradict yourself though. There were a huge list of UN resolutions Iraq did not follow either. So be sure to condemn Saddam Hussien at the same rate you condemn Bush for not following the UN's orders.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Completly wrong.

The conservatives in America can limit the rights of Homosexuals, like denying them marriage rights, but Homosexuality will not cease to exist no matter who is in power. It is against the Constitution to 'ban homosexuality'. It will not happen.

If you elect liberals you will not see wars go away either, because hate it or love it, America will defend itself against terrorism under a liberal or conservative. The response time, and the threat the country is under will effect how much liberals will defend America as opposed to Democrats.
When america went to iraq they were defending themselves interesting. Liberal government wouldnt have went into iraq or backed israel aggression agianst Lebanon.

Keltoi
08-17-2006, 01:57 AM
You have to understand the dynamics of the U.N., and most importantly the Security Council. These nations aren't exactly best pals when it comes to diplomacy. The US and UK stick together, Russia and China stick together, and Germany and France stick together, at least until the conservative German prime minister was voted in. These people can't agree on anything except not to agree. These countries do things all the time that the other countries don't like, China and Russia veto almost anything put forward by the US. The UN is a confusing mess if you ask me, with little in the way of constructive action.

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Oli for food program I am not sure if you heard of it. But U.N. AKA United States of America has been stealing iraqi oli because saddam did listen to U.N. demands. There were many sanctions on Iraq.

Lets see America get same or atleast similar punishment from the United Nations.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 01:59 AM
When america went to iraq they were defending themselves interesting. Liberal government wouldnt have went into iraq or backed israel aggression agianst Lebanon.
First off I was speaking about Afghanistan as the poster before was talking about.

Second of all, under Liberal goverment you are correct to assume that the Iraq invasion would not have occured. But your naive to think that under a liberal goverment Israel's attempt to dismarm Hezbollah would have not gotten support. (By the way if you support UN commands then you should also respect UN resolution 1559)

You should look at the vote in Congress. Only 7 congressmen opposed Israels action in the vote.

Keltoi
08-17-2006, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Democrats have a tendency to send troops into every little skirmish on the planet. With the ghost of 9-11 on everyone's back in the US government, I wouldn't look for love and friendship messages from the White House anytime soon.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:04 AM
When I attended Constitutional Law classes, many Islamist students were upset when we've learnt that.......in accordance of our Federal Constitution....
...FEDERAL CONSTITUTION IS THE HIGHEST LAW OF THE LAND (MALAYSIA) AND NO LAWS SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN IT"

They've said that this amounted to 'shirk'. Furthermore I dont find any words of "Allah" or "God" in the Federal constitution.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
When I attended Constitutional Law classes, many Islamist students were upset when we've learnt that.......in accordance of our Federal Constitution....
...FEDERAL CONSTITUTION IS THE HIGHEST LAW OF THE LAND (MALAYSIA) AND NO LAWS SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN IT"

They've said that this amounted to 'shirk'. Furthermore I dont find any words of "Allah" or "God" in the Federal constitution.
So Malaysia seperates religion and goverment. Is that such a bad thing?

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Democrats have a tendency to send troops into every little skirmish on the planet. With the ghost of 9-11 on everyone's back in the US government, I wouldn't look for love and friendship messages from the White House anytime soon.
The government expect to kill iraqis and afgansitani civilians and see love for the americans from them. Ofcourse Iraqis and Afganistanis will hate american and for sure this will lead to longer war.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:08 AM
IMHO...

I've seen beautiful small Malaysian and Penangite flags .... that I could tied them up in front of my house..... I'll buy it today....:D

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Now that I have probably been guilty of being the cause of getting this thread side tracked. Let us briefly try to put this all into perspective and return to the topic.

I believe that although the topic was directed towards Malaysia, a side topic did come as an after thought that being. How much loyalty and respect should a person show towards the country they choose to live it. I believe nearly all of us are in agreement that we all need to abide to live by the laws of the country we choose to live in. That we do need to show minimal respect, as long as it is not contrary to our beliefs. That we do have a responsability to recognise any faults in our governments and to promote peacefull means to change any wrongs.

I can agree with syilla that the flag is merely recognision of gained freedoms and it does not have to be a replacement of Nationalism over religion.

So, to return this to topic. Is it possible to fly the flag with pride and not have it become a substitute for Allah(swt)

Keltoi
08-17-2006, 02:10 AM
They expect to kill iraqis and afgansitani civilians and see love for the americans from them. Ofcourse Iraqis and Afganistanis will hate american and for sure this will lead to longer war.
Afghanistan is rather quiet compared to Iraq, except for the Taliban still prowling around in places near Pakistan and around Kandahar. Afghanistan has a chance to improve their lot tenfold in the near future, if the stability holds in Kabul and NATO and the U.S. keep the Taliban at bay as much as possible.

BACK ON TOPIC NOW

Islamicboy
08-17-2006, 02:12 AM
We shouldnt be discussing this in this thread. As we are off topic and been warned by Woodrow.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Now that I have probably been guilty of being the cause of getting this thread side tracked. Let us briefly try to put this all into perspective and return to the topic.

I believe that although the topic was directed towards Malaysia, a side topic did come as an after thought that being. How much loyalty and respect should a person show towards the country they choose to live it. I believe nearly all of us are in agreement that we all need to abide to live by the laws of the country we choose to live in. That we do need to show minimal respect, as long as it is not contrary to our beliefs. That we do have a responsability to recognise any faults in our governments and to promote peacefull means to change any wrongs.

I can agree with syilla that the flag is merely recognision of gained freedoms and it does not have to be a replacement of Nationalism over religion.

So, to return this to topic. Is it possible to fly the flag with pride and not have it become a substitute for Allah(swt)
We just flying the flags..... not worshipping those flags..... it's my country 49th birthday.......

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 02:22 AM
We just flying the flags..... not worshipping those flags..... it's my country 49th birthday.......
With much memories for your countries struggle to gain independance 49 years ago. It is good to remember the efforts it took your people to acheive that.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Congrats.

May your country have 49 more years of peace.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:41 AM
With much memories for your countries struggle to gain independance 49 years ago. It is good to remember the efforts it took your people to acheive that.

Do you know how we gain independence....? we just sent a delegation consists of Malays, Chinese and Indians to England for a discussion for our independent .. AND GOT IT....:D

But lots of lives lost during Japanese Occupation and Communist rebellion.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Congrats.

May your country have 49 more years of peace.
Toda:D

therebbe
08-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Toda:D
:D

Your quite knowledgable.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:49 AM
:D

Your quite knowledgable.
Lavikor taught me that!!!!:giggling:

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 02:50 AM
Do you know how we gain independence....? we just sent a delegation consists of Malays, Chinese and Indians to England for a discussion for our independent .. AND GOT IT....:D

But lots of lives lost during Japanese Occupation and Communist rebellion.
I was thinking in terms of the Japanese Occupation and the Communist Rebellion. I was not aware that your actual independance was gained so peacefully. That is a much better history to have then to have a history of war to gain independance. Perhaps we can all learn from what your country did.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 02:58 AM
I was thinking in terms of the Japanese Occupation and the Communist Rebellion. I was not aware that your actual independance was gained so peacefully. That is a much better history to have then to have a history of war to gain independance. Perhaps we can all learn from what your country did.
I agree, most countries beginings are blood stained.

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 02:58 AM
...well many younger generations ACTUALLY regretted that...

...coz ... our Federal Constitution ... is done by British... so do our laws...

Indonesia and Philippines, firstly cant accept our independent because the considered Malaysia as British 'proxy' in Southeast asia...... there is even a confrontation with Indonesia once...

Yeah... and Muslims in Pattani (south thailand) cursing our country for choosing to incorporate Sabah and Sarawak (in Borneo) into Malaysia, but not Pattani....

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 03:40 AM
HISTORY OF MALAYSIA TIMELINES

3rd Century BC - Several small Hindu kingdoms exist in the Peninsula Malaysia

7th Century - Under the rule of Hindu Empire of Srivijaya (Sumatra)

13th Century - Under the rule of Buddhist Empire of Sukhothai (Thailand)

1400 - Parameswara (a prince from Srivijaya) founded Malacca. Within a few years he converted to Islam and renamed his kingdom as Sultanate of Malacca. Few decades later, Sultanate of Malacca ruled Peninsula Malaysia, Southern Thailand, Sumatra and parts of Borneo.

1511 - Portuguese seized Malacca. Sultanate of Malacca broke up into smaller Sultanates all over Malay world.

1641 - Dutch ruled Malacca with helps from Malay Sultans. Buginese immigrants from Indonesia seized several Sultanates and Minangkabau immigrants (also from Indonesia) established their small kingdom in Peninsula Malaysia. Sultanates in northern Malaysia was re-conquered by Thailand.

1786 - British opened Penang Island.

1824 - British took over Malacca from the Dutch.

1877 - Millions of Immigrants from China, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Burma, Yemen, Japan migrated to Malaya.

1891 - British ruled Sabah and sarawak (in borneo)

1909 - British ruled all over Malay Peninsula.

1941 - WWII. Occupied by the Japanese. 40,000 Chinese killed. Chinese established Communist Party of Malaya to oust the Japanese.

1945 - British came back and supported by Malays, Indians and elites among Chinese. But the Communists demanded independence. Many killings between Malays and Communist happened.

1946 - British annouced a plan for 'Malayan Union' a unitary state with a view of independence within a few years. Citizenship would be given to all regardless of race. Opposed by Malays. Malay Nationalists established UMNO (United Malays National Organisation) which favoured for independent of Malaya which will be run exclusively by Malays. Faced with strong Malay opposition, the British dropped the plan.

1948 - "Malayan Emergency" started as Communist Party demanded an independent country with equal rights among all races. Many terrorist acts done by Commmunists against Britons and Malays.

1949 - Moderate Chinese formed Malayan Chinese Association (MCA) which favoured a policy of colloboration with UMNO.

1952-1955 - UMNO-MCA-MIC (Malayan Indian Congress) Alliance won elections.

1955-1956 - The new ruling party (UMNO-MCA-MIC Alliance) and British hammered out a new constitution for a new country of Malaya/

1957 - Malaya achieved independence.

1961 - Malaysia was formed with inclusion of Sabah and Sarawak.

syilla
08-17-2006, 04:46 AM
HISTORY OF MALAYSIA TIMELINES

3rd Century BC - Several small Hindu kingdoms exist in the Peninsula Malaysia

7th Century - Under the rule of Hindu Empire of Srivijaya (Sumatra)

13th Century - Under the rule of Buddhist Empire of Sukhothai (Thailand)

1400 - Parameswara (a prince from Srivijaya) founded Malacca. Within a few years he converted to Islam and renamed his kingdom as Sultanate of Malacca. Few decades later, Sultanate of Malacca ruled Peninsula Malaysia, Southern Thailand, Sumatra and parts of Borneo.

1511 - Portuguese seized Malacca. Sultanate of Malacca broke up into smaller Sultanates all over Malay world.

1641 - Dutch ruled Malacca with helps from Malay Sultans. Buginese immigrants from Indonesia seized several Sultanates and Minangkabau immigrants (also from Indonesia) established their small kingdom in Peninsula Malaysia. Sultanates in northern Malaysia was re-conquered by Thailand.

1786 - British opened Penang Island.

1824 - British took over Malacca from the Dutch.

1877 - Millions of Immigrants from China, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Burma, Yemen, Japan migrated to Malaya.

1891 - British ruled Sabah and sarawak (in borneo)

1909 - British ruled all over Malay Peninsula.

1941 - WWII. Occupied by the Japanese. 40,000 Chinese killed. Chinese established Communist Party of Malaya to oust the Japanese.

1945 - British came back and supported by Malays, Indians and elites among Chinese. But the Communists demanded independence. Many killings between Malays and Communist happened.

1946 - British annouced a plan for 'Malayan Union' a unitary state with a view of independence within a few years. Citizenship would be given to all regardless of race. Opposed by Malays. Malay Nationalists established UMNO (United Malays National Organisation) which favoured for independent of Malaya which will be run exclusively by Malays. Faced with strong Malay opposition, the British dropped the plan.

1948 - "Malayan Emergency" started as Communist Party demanded an independent country with equal rights among all races. Many terrorist acts done by Commmunists against Britons and Malays.

1949 - Moderate Chinese formed Malayan Chinese Association (MCA) which favoured a policy of colloboration with UMNO.

1952-1955 - UMNO-MCA-MIC (Malayan Indian Congress) Alliance won elections.

1955-1956 - The new ruling party (UMNO-MCA-MIC Alliance) and British hammered out a new constitution for a new country of Malaya/

1957 - Malaya achieved independence.

1961 - Malaysia was formed with inclusion of Sabah and Sarawak.
I'm sure you copy this from the history book...

or did you memorise all of this... :rollseyes:

if you did...then you must be a good lawyer :P

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm sure you copy this from the history book...

or did you memorise all of this... :rollseyes:

if you did...then you must be a good lawyer :P
Of course I've taken it from 'a source' - anyone can guess. But I've got 'A2' in History for SPM:p. I love history...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.