/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab helps Muslim women find own place in the West

sonz
08-16-2006, 09:07 AM
The Islamic headscarf, which covers the head, hair, neck and ears, visibly separates young Muslim American women from their peers, but those who wear it say that the hijab helps them find their own place in the Western world and at the same time make them stick to their values, according to the findings of a research paper, titled "Hijab and American Muslim Women: Creating the Space for Autonomous Selves."

"There are multiple meanings to the hijab as a religious and social symbol; it often serves well those who wear it," says the author of the research, Rhys Williams, professor of sociology at the University of Cincinnati, and Gira Vashi, a research assistant at the University of Illinois.

"It provides a clear identity marker at a life-course transitional time, and it provides culturally legitimate space for young women who are formulating new Muslim American identities and lives,” they add.

The sociologists started the research, which is part of a larger Youth and Religious Project, in 1999, conducting interviews and focus groups with Chicago area college-age students of different cultures and religions, according to Axcess News.

Many of the Muslim women interviewed were of Indian or Pakistani origin, while others were Arabs. According to Williams, Muslim men and women stressed that the hijab isn’t oppressive, as may be misperceived in an American “equal rights” society”.

"In almost every discussion of Islam, gender or family that we heard in the course of this research, Muslim speakers (both men and women) went out of their way to say ‘in Islam, men and women have equal rights,' or 'men and women are different, but that does not mean unequal,'" states the research, which will be published in the forthcoming academic journal, Society of Religion, in spring 2007.

The Islamic headscarf is meant to cover a Muslim woman’s hair, neck, throat and the upper part of her chest to protect her from the eyes of men outside her family. But the Hijab isn’t just about clothing, it is mainly to preserve women’s dignity and honor. In the Qur’an, Allah (SWT) instructs his followers on how to behave towards each other by saying in Surat An-Nur that all Muslim men and women should “lower the gaze”.

The researchers also found that the veiled Muslim women prove to themselves and their families that they didn’t lose their values. At the same time, the headscarf is a symbol of modesty and moral purity in an American culture perceived to be overemphasizing materialism, individualism and sexual openness.

"I think that in many ways when they wore hijab, they were signaling to their parents and friends that they hadn't lost themselves, that they hadn't become too Westernized," Williams says. "And in some ways I think it gave them the freedom to be quite autonomous, because it signalized their piety."

Moreover, college-age Muslims say that Muslim men also wear modest dress, though nothing as obvious as hijab. "Hijab is becoming the catch-all symbol for Muslim identity, and for issues related to Islam's place in America," the paper states.

The research also shows that young educated Muslim women are able to enjoy their lives and plan their successful careers, while keeping their own values.

Williams states that one of the most interesting facts he found among Muslims is how they fashion their religious identity as a way of keeping a foot in both worlds.

"It's a way of keeping a fidelity and faithfulness to their family and to their family's traditions and to their faith, but at the same time working with that faith as a way of fitting in here in the United States. It is interesting to see how often the decision to wear hijab is represented as their free choice."

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fatimab
08-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Mashallah thats nice to hear, Alhamduallah i wear the hijab freely and i wear it proudly. Another thing is that i live in Australia and at first i found it hard but then i began loving it more and more and let me tell ya its the best alhamduallah. Whats so good is that people respect us even more.

:):) :D :P

rizwana87
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
mashallah a very good read :D

Zulkiflim
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Salaam,

Yes a very good read,thrully those who live in the coutnry that is awash with propaganda of Islam,trully your reward will be great

The trial you suffer now is trully increaisng your faith and tolerance and piety..
alhamdulilah..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.