/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British Charity Worker Suspected Of Supplying Funds To Hamas

Snowflake
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM

LONDON (EJP) - A British charity worker has been arrested by Israeli authorities on suspicion of transferring funds to Hamas.

Ayaz Ali was working for Islamic Relief, a Birmingham based Islamic charity. He was arrested on his way from Jerusalem to Ramallah on May 9 and is being held in custody under military law. Details of his arrest were only made public last Thursday

Although not charged, Israeli authorities cite “security reasons” for detaining him and he is being held at a military prison in Ashkelon.

Military detention

Ali, who is from Bradford, Yorkshire, was originally held under Israeli law, however last week the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that he should remain a detainee under military law.

A second hearing ordered that he remain in custody for an additional 10 days for questioning.

Islamic Relief denied that he had any connection with any illegal activities and said that his work was purely humanitarian.

A spokesman for Islamic Relief said: “Islamic Relief is deeply concerned for Ayaz’s welfare, he was only involved in charitable work and in no way is he or Islamic Relief linked to any criminal or suspect activity.”

Islamic Relief praised Ali’s interest in humanitarian projects “and particular passion for working on projects that would help disadvantaged children lead a normal life”.

British Embassy assistance

Karen Kaufman, spokeswoman for the British Embassy in Israel, told the Associated Press that British diplomats have had access to Ali and have attended the hearings. She could say only that he has not yet been charged with any offence, but he has legal representation.

A spokesman for the British Foreign Office said: “Consul staff have offered assistance. We cannot speculate about the reasons for his arrest, but we are seeking clarification from the Israelis.”

Hany El Banna, president of Islamic Relief, said: “I was shocked to hear the news and am at a loss to understand why Ayaz has been arrested.”

“Unfortunately, aid workers are an easy target as we have seen in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. We are concerned that incidents like this prevent humanitarian field workers from carrying out their duties,” he added.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Sadly it seems aide workers world wide are viewed with suspicion. I believe one of the major problems faced in helping victims of disasters has become the inability for workers to distribute any assistance in a timely manner.

We humans have become very suspicious about the activities of our fellow humans.

Snowflake
08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
:sl:

I agree. Sometime ago, I visited a warehouse of one Islamic charity organisation and was shocked to see the warehouse stacked to the ceiling with stuff people had donated, when it fact it was money the organisation really needed. When ppl donate stuff, it has to be paid by the charity to ship it out. I was told that people are too scared to give money or write cheques in case the organisation is accused of supplying terrorists and their details end up on the government data base of suspected supporters.

Though collecting this kind of info was set up to crack down on illegal funding of terrorists groups it has complicated legitimate humanitarian relief efforts in Lebanon, Gaza and the West Bank.

It seems that to continue funding relief work, we may have to start donating money to international western charities such as the Red Cross. However unfair to the muslim charities, if that's the only way, then I don't see why not.

The way things are going, Im sure that all muslims will fall under scrutiny eventually. The religious profiling is just the beginning.

:w:

Muslim-Gyal
08-17-2006, 01:07 PM
argh!this annoys me. its tru wt woodrow sed!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dawud_uk
08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

These allegations are complete b**locks if you will pardon my French, the brother is married to a sister who used to help out with the NMP in Sheffield before they started work in Gaza and are not at all militant.

Assalaamu Alaykum,
Daw’ud

Annie
08-17-2006, 11:15 PM
salams
israel is just lookin for excuses to caputure innocent muslims

Joe98
08-18-2006, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Annie
salams
israel is just lookin for excuses to caputure innocent muslims

Conspiracy theory!

Dawud_uk
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

Conspiracy theory!

joe, i personally know this family so it is not a conspiracy it is fact, they are people you would see as far less extreme than myself for example.

the israelis however see any practicing muslim as a threat, they can cut deals and corrupt secular leaders but islamic leaders are a different whole new ball game for them.

Daw'ud

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.