/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Whitening teeth

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
:sl:

I hope you are well.inshAllah.

Other than miswak, what is the best 'toothpaste' to help whiten teeth?

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but:

'Cleanliness is half of your Imaan'

So, the right toothpaste will help keep the gums healthy but hopefully, keep them clean too.inshAllah.

:w:
Note: Please do not use this thread as a chance to free post or to go off topic. JazakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Aim! they say it's good at fighting plaque and all that crap

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
Aim! they say it's good at fighting plaque and all that crap

Right. Do you use it?

amirah_87
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

I find that, Macleans Whitening!! or whatever it's called is very good!!

that's my fav!! :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Right. Do you use it?

dur lol :rollseyes

Malaikah
08-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Other than miswak, what is the best 'toothpaste' to help whiten teeth?

there are special things for whiting the teeth, they look like little bottles with paint brushes that you 'paint' your teeth with.. dont know if they actually work.

miswak works the best for me, it whitens way better than any tooth paste or tooth brush ive ever used :D

I find that, Macleans Whitening!! or whatever it's called is very good!!
i used that before.. i dont think i was too happy with the results, it didnt seem to whiten better than anyother toothpaste... or maybe its just becuase i probably need a new tooth brush lol, but at the same time miswak is wayyyy better.

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Salam,

I prefer buying miswak from saudi - myself.
For the time being, I need to get hold of a good toothpaste.

Wasalam

Sunflower
08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Pearl Drops works really well If you brush your teeth twice a day with it on top of your normal tooth paste.

Other that that Harvey Street work wonders as well your teeth would look like this----->:D :D

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunflower
Pearl Drops works really well If you brush your teeth twice a day with it on top of your normal tooth paste.

Other that that Harvey Street work wonders as well your teeth would look like this----->:D :D

Pearl Drops is a waste of money. I used it and no difference. I was annoyed.
Harvey street?:?

amirah_87
08-16-2006, 12:21 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

Pearl drops I hear a good from my cousins...but i don't use those whiteners..i hear they ain't good for your teeth!!

lol @ harvey street docs!! they're really good!! :)

amirah_87
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

There;s this Miswak I know of that we used to use in Yemen! it's called Dam Al-akhawayn!....

That!! is the best whitener..and it's natrual...but there is a downside, it's leaves your lips and gums red...but only for a coupla hours :X

OR A DAY!! :X

Mawaddah
08-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Dont use those teeth whiteners!! They just wear down your teeth and strip them of enamel.
Hmmm........I never even look at the brand of toothpaste I'm using :D last time I checked (accidentally) it was Colgate lol.
But Miswaak is always the best, but for the meantime? I really dont know :?

Mawaddah
08-16-2006, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
as salaamu alaykum,

There;s this Miswak I know of that we used to use in Yemen! it's called Dam Al-akhawayn!....

That!! is the best whitener..and it's natrual...but there is a downside, it's leaves your lips and gums red...but only for a coupla hours :X

OR A DAY!! :X
REally?? COOL!! I wouldn't mind red lips......but red gums? :? hmmm......I guess when I smile I'll just make sure my gums dont show :giggling:
But the red lips part sounds good :p

lolwatever
08-16-2006, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

there are special things for whiting the teeth, they look like little bottles with paint brushes that you 'paint' your teeth with.. dont know if they actually work.
liquid paper? :D:D:D

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Salam,
okay so....

Liquid paper sounds dodgy, whitners are not good for the teeth and the other stuff just makes you look like a vampire.

Hmm...

I think you have to all tell me which toothpaste you use, whether it is good at whitening the teeth etc.
So far, macleans and colgate has been mentioned. Oh, and Aim. I use colgate but its useless.

Wasalam

Mawaddah
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
^ Yeah colgate is useless sis........My dad bought this organic baking soda toothpaste the other day....but I never even bothered to look at the brand, I'm just dumb like that :-\ It seems to be working ok though.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
The way the dentish polish is good but I guess thats out of the question for regular wite teeth. I use Pearl Drops from time to time aswell and it does work but am a bit suprised about what sister Mawwadah said about them wearing down your teeth :/

Miswaak takes ages and there is this other wood thing that makes your gums go all read but does a decent job...

There are these red tablets that you chew and rinse your mouth out with and the red marks stay on the parts yor have decay so you can brush those parts properly until it's gone.

amirah_87
08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

I use Pearl Drops from time to time aswell and it does work but am a bit suprised about what sister Mawwadah said about them wearing down your teeth :/
I heard the same thing aswell,...it wears down your enamel, it's like bleaching a white shirt everytime you put it in the wash....it starts to wear out after a while does'nt it!! :-\

wassalaams

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS

There are these red tablets that you chew and rinse your mouth out with and the red marks stay on the parts yor have decay so you can brush those parts properly until it's gone.
Yes, they bring back memories. I used those when I had braces. It was fun. It actually made me want to brush my teeth after every meal. I bought mine from the Orthodontics (the tablets). What is the name of these tablets?

Sister Mawaddah, kindly read the label of your toothpaste.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, they bring back memories. I used those when I had braces. It was fun. It actually made me want to brush my teeth after every meal. I bought mine from the Orthodontics (the tablets). What is the name of these tablets?

Sister Mawaddah, kindly read the label of your toothpaste.

They are called plaque-disclosing tablet

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
They are called plaque-disclosing tablet
Is that the British-English name or the American English name?
I need the British English.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
yeah just ask for disclosing tablets at the Pharmacy and they'll know, they normally be on the shelves I think.

Sunflower
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
If you go to a phacmacy and ask for the red teeth tablets they'll know what you mean thats what I ask when I want to get mine. I don;t even know their name.

Ameeratul Layl
08-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Salam,

JazakAllah.
Still waiting for sr mawaddah to name the toothpaste she uses.
Wasalam

Malaikah
08-17-2006, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Yeah colgate is useless sis........My dad bought this organic baking soda toothpaste the other day....but I never even bothered to look at the brand, I'm just dumb like that :-\ It seems to be working ok though.

my dad uses that, it tastes terrible!!!!

oh and theres listerene toothpaste too and it also tastes terrible

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
I like mcleans,
but they say charcoal whitens the teeth, the older members of our nation use it, and trust me it works, you get the charcoal, bite it into small pieces and used your miswak with it, or just get a good sized one and use it like a miswak :) i tried it too, it works for real.....
then you gotta use normal toothpaste after lol...

sis amira damal akhawayn is too cool..that stuff whitens too!! (blood of the 2 brothers)

wassalaam

amirah_87
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
as salaamu alaykum,

sis amira damal akhawayn is too cool..that stuff whitens too!! (blood of the 2 brothers)
Yeah it is...but i think it's a baladiy thing, no-one seems to know it!! :-\

and charcoal!?, it makes my teeth weak..like the squaeeeeeeek eeek ...you know what I mean!! :heated:

Listerene mouthwash is good though sis cheese!! :)

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I have several dentist friends and they are all in agreement that outside of professional cleaning the best cleaning is the result of a good toothbrush or miswak and plenty of work several times a day. With the exception of tooth pastes that contain peroxide (and are hazardous to the enamel) all tooth pastes are diatominous earth and flavoring. Don't really help with the cleaning, but seem to make it a little more pleasant and the flavoring temporarily makes your breath smell better.

There are plenty of arguements in favor of the miswak. The best one being we know it is halal, which some toothpastes are not.

Asyur an-Nagi
08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
most tooth paste or dentifrice contains detergent which only helps us with a saponification effect (removes greasy or sticky deposits from our enamel). but the best way to keep our mouth clean and fresh, is by performing toothbrushing after every meal and before bedtime and quit smoking. yeah, since smoking changes our oral microflora balance and left an awful brownish stain.

and liquid whatever tooth whiteners, is dangerous. i say it again and again to my patients. it contains high formic or orthophosphoric acid ( it is too strong that it could removes stains from the brass or other metallic surface). it would demineralized enamel prisms (microstructure of enamel) ten times faster than bacterial acid's demineralization). off course your teeth would look whiter, though actually it turns chalky white due its' massive mineral losts.

miswak is the best!

lolwatever
08-17-2006, 10:23 AM
cool jazaks 4 that bro interseting stuff..., sorry i called u sis in the rep msg lol!

salamz

Asyur an-Nagi
08-17-2006, 10:44 AM
cool jazaks 4 that bro interseting stuff..., sorry i called u sis in the rep msg lol!

salamz
;D , that's okay. you're very welcome!

Malaikah
08-17-2006, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
miswak is the best!

do you know of any studies that have been done in regard to the effectivness of miswak? if so, what were the results?

Asyur an-Nagi
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM

do you know of any studies that have been done in regard to the effectivness of miswak? if so, what were the results?
one of the research on miswak that i could remember is about how
the researchers assess the antimicrobial activity of the miswak chewing stick (Salvadora persica) in vivo, especially on streptococcus mutans and lactobacilli (bacterias which responsible for caries and periodontal disease).

The results showed there was a marked reduction of streptococcus mutans among all groups of users. The reduction of streptococcus mutans was significantly greater using miswak in comparison to toothbrushing, and there was no significant difference for lactobacilli reduction.

It may be concluded miswak has an immediate antimicrobial effect.

chacha_jalebi
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM
salaam

sister u gota use a mixture of a good mouthwase & toothpaste :D:D

also ppl get there teeth bleeched like every yr from dentist, but best tin is jus aquafresh toothpaste :p it tastes nice aswell :D:D:D and in pakistan they had a heavy toothpaste lol it would burn your mouth but it propa worked :D:D:D i think it was called hammer summin like dat

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM
oh i think i know it arm and hammer something like that right?
we used that here a while back.

yesterday i was talking to a dentist and i said, miswak was much better, then she said it depended on the diet, she said cos here in the west there are sooo many additives and what nots in our diet, miswak alone wouldn't be suffiecient,
that kinda made sense to me, she also said that people use the miswak wrong and it gives them weak gums (bleeding etc...)
still i think miswak is better it gets to all those little places, at the back of the mouth, and i guess using it with a good tooth paste helps...
and its sunnah so alhamdulillah..

wassalaam

Ameeratul Layl
08-17-2006, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
oh i think i know it arm and hammer something like that right?
we used that here a while back, in london,

yesterday i was talking to a dentist and i said, miswak was much better, then she said it depended on the diet, she said cos here in the west there are sooo many additives and what nots in our diet, miswak alone wouldn't be suffiecient,
that kinda made sense to me, she also said that people use the miswak wrong and it gives them weak gums (bleeding etc...)
still i think miswak is better it gets to all those little places, at the back of the mouth, and i guess using it with a good tooth paste helps...
and its sunnah so alhamdulillah..

wassalaam

Charming.:heated:

Muslim-Gyal
08-17-2006, 01:01 PM
i herd tht colgate had pig fat or sumthin like that in it :S got an email ages ago but dont no if its tru.any1 herd dis?

Ameeratul Layl
08-17-2006, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim-Gyal
i herd tht colgate had pig fat or sumthin like that in it :S got an email ages ago but dont no if its tru.any1 herd dis?

*shocked*
I used that this morning.+o(

Muslim-Gyal
08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
im not sure so i mite be wrong! but im sure i got an email saying tht but dont count me on it just wonderin if any1 else had herd tht.i use aquafresh lol hehe

Snowflake
08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
The whitening agent in toothpastes is bicarbonate of soda. Miswak is best of course, but tricky to use. You can add baking soda to ur normal toothpaste instead of buying expensive whitening one and get whiter teeth that way. :D see!

Tea, coffee and smoking can also make teeth go yellow.

Muslim-Gyal
08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
imagine if u cud make ur teeth go pink :| lol

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
you can lol...just drink that pinky fizzy stuff and don't brush LOol....uhm

sis ameera *charming* indeed

wasssalaam

Ameeratul Layl
08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
you can lol...just drink that pinky fizzy stuff and don't brush LOol....uhm

sis ameera *charming* indeed

wasssalaam
The name is Ameeratul layl!
I think the hammer toothpaste will have to be it.

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 02:57 PM
oh pardon me ameeratul layl....

wassalaam

umm-sulaim
08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
edited

wassalaam

Malaikah
08-18-2006, 09:11 AM

yeh it sure makes my gums bleed! my main problem with miswak is that it only reachs my front teeth! how do you get it all the way to the back?!

and how do you mix miswak and toothpaste...? do you mean use the toothpaste with a toothbrush?

LiveIslam
08-18-2006, 09:21 AM
trust me if u have curry no tooth paste will help u to whiten your teeth:thumbs_do

Ameeratul Layl
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Salam,

haha. That isnt true, my mom has curry and she has fab teeth.mashAllah.

Does anyone use sensodyne?

Wasalam

lolwatever
08-18-2006, 09:31 AM

yeh it sure makes my gums bleed! my main problem with miswak is that it only reachs my front teeth! how do you get it all the way to the back?!

and how do you mix miswak and toothpaste...? do you mean use the toothpaste with a toothbrush?
miswak causing gum bleeding? there's defiantely something seriously wrong with the way you're using it.. either ur brushing ur gums instead of teeth or the miswak wasnt prepared properly or something of that sort..

salams

Malaikah
08-18-2006, 09:46 AM
miswak causing gum bleeding? there's defiantely something seriously wrong with the way you're using it.. either ur brushing ur gums instead of teeth or the miswak wasnt prepared properly or something of that sort..

salams

if you didnt notice the gums are actually right next to the teeth so its kinda hard to miss the gums when i use it... :rollseyes

how it meant to be prepared?

p.s. i think my gums just suck anyway becuase sometimes the toothbrush makes it bleed too.

Asyur an-Nagi
08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

if you didnt notice the gums are actually right next to the teeth so its kinda hard to miss the gums when i use it... :rollseyes

how it meant to be prepared?

p.s. i think my gums just suck anyway becuase sometimes the toothbrush makes it bleed too.
if your gum bleeds most of the time, you should exactly brush it! brush your gum gently with light pressure from the gum toward the tooth structure, in dental terms, it is gingival massage. it should be performed to obtain healthy microcirculation in tiny blood vessels. and take enough vit C.

when it still bleed, contact ur dentist (or contact me in this forum for free consultation:giggling: )

Asyur an-Nagi
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM

salams
miswak has a single brush point. quite uneasy to manage at first, but miswak is my helper when i need to achieve healthy gum.
you are right, it should be used in a proper manner.

amirah_87
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

I don't really use the miswak, I think the regular toothbrushes are better!!

and that "Miswak" toothpaste is just disgusting :heated:

Umm Safiya
08-31-2006, 06:01 PM

I use this toothpaste.. It's cool.. :thumbs_up

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim-Gyal
imagine if u cud make ur teeth go pink :| lol
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH dont tell the self proclaimed pink chik this!!!!!!!1 she going to try it! she's an addict 2 pink!!!! i wont be surprised if she'd want to dye her hair pink!;D
do accept me humble apologies for being off topic :)

Ameeratul Layl
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
salam,

I've finally got my teeth glistering for the new academic year.

*kuching*

wasalam
p.s: br Harun, no more offtopics please.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
salam,

I've finally got my teeth glistering for the new academic year.
how? they couldn't have been that bad to begin with.

Ameeratul Layl
09-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Salam,

How? mmm, can't answer that one. Its a top secret.

They weren't bad but I did not feel they were as white as I wanted them.

wasalam

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Salam,

How? mmm, can't answer that one. Its a top secret.

They weren't bad but I did not feel they were as white as I wanted them.

wasalam

Can't share with your fellow muslim brother ans sisters? especially seeing that everyone here was trying to help you out to begin with...Thanx anyway, may Allah give you bright teeth for life.

Lina
09-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Well, brush your teeth after every meal (or use miswak, whatever suits you best).

Stop with the coffee, tea etc. and you'll have white teeth.

What was it? Bob's ur incle? Whose uncle?

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
LOL brush your teeth is the most obvious one...thought my learn something new but never mind.

My Uncle is Yasin, why do you want to know??

:D

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Can't share with your fellow muslim brother ans sisters? especially seeing that everyone here was trying to help you out to begin with...Thanx anyway, may Allah give you bright teeth for life.

Where did Uncle Bob and uncle yasin come from? We were talking about teeth.
Okay, br dangerous minds, stop with the guilt trick. I haven't seen anyone else complain of not having white teeth, so -My secret is going to remain a secret.It seems everyone knows to use miswak and colgate etc. So, let them continue.

Malaikah
09-07-2006, 11:25 AM

^why would you even bother to keep something like a secret lol

btw, dont smoke!!!! that ruins your teeth and also your vision and just about everything else in your body!

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 11:28 AM

^why would you even bother to keep something like a secret lol!

Good question? ^o)
I'm still not telling you.
Honestly, this thing has made my teeth go bling bling and my gums...orange.
There, I've given you a clue!

lolwatever
09-07-2006, 11:30 AM
cinamon lol?? or those lil black things that hav this chillly mint taste to it?

or hennah :D

:p

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 11:32 AM
salam.

Hennah? No, I use it for my hair though. wow!

*ahem*

Not cinommon!

wasalam

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
:mmokay: ORANGE gums???!!!! forget that!

I think I would be pretty scared if I seen someone smile with orange gums, anyway sister thanx for your help, enjoy your orange gums.

Ameeratul Layl
09-07-2006, 12:00 PM
:mmokay: ORANGE gums???!!!! forget that!

I think I would be pretty scared if I seen someone smile with orange gums, anyway sister thanx for your help, enjoy your orange gums.

How do you think I feel? I looked in the mirror and almost collapsed. Okay, that was a fib. But, the orangeness doesn't stay for long.
I would have told you what it was I used but I didn' know myself. Wasn't really a secret. :)
Asked my mom and she says its called: sakra.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah, thought it could be that.

Snowflake
09-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Sakra makes the lips go orange too. A friend of mine uses crushed coal to whiten her teeth. It really does remove the stains. Just don't use the coal from ur barbie though. :offended:

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
First orange gums then orange lips now we should use coal lol...I think im going to stick with the colgate and the toothbrush.

Umm Safiya
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM

What is sakra?

ZOREENA
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
U can also use baking soda, just here and there, we dont want to ruin our enamel, but itz gr8 for cleaning up your teeth, like an exfoliator for yer gnashers!!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hamzah

What is sakra?
Sakra/Dandasa like a brown slightly soft wood used to clean teeth, leaves orange stains on gums and lips but whitens teeth.

Umm Safiya
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Where can you get that?

ZOREENA
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Be careful, if your pregnant, some things u cant use. Dont see why not, but u know, better to check!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.