/* */

PDA

View Full Version : JAINISM ANY INfo !?????????? :?

smile
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I have to do a project on Jainism

plzzz help :grumbling

get sum info for meeeeee :hiding:

i neeeeeeeed help! :heated:

thanks
;D ;D ;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
therebbe
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Early History of Jain Dharma

Jainism traces its roots to a succession of 24 Jinas ("those who overcome", or conqueror) in ancient East India. The first Jina is traditionally believed to have been a giant who lived 8.4 million years ago. The most recent and last Jina was Vardhamana (a.k.a. Mahavira, "The Great Hero") He was born in 550 BCE) and was the founder of the Jain community. He attained enlightenment after 13 years of deprivation. In 420 BCE, he committed the act of salekhana which is fasting to death. Each Jina has "conquered love and hate, pleasure and pain, attachment and aversion, and has thereby freed `his' soul from the karmas obscuring knowledge, perception, truth, and ability..."
Jainism is a syncretistic religion, which contains many elements similar to Hinduism and Buddhism. The world's almost 4 million Jains are almost entirely located in India. There are about 1,410 in Canada (1991 census).

Jainist Beliefs and Practices

The universe exists as a series of layers, both heavens and hells. It had no beginning and will have no ending. It consists of:

The supreme abode: This is located at the top of the universe and is where Siddha, the liberated souls, live.

The upper world: 30 heavens where celestial beings live.

Middle world: the earth and the rest of the universe.

Nether world: 7 hells with various levels of misery and punishments

The Nigoda, or base: where the lowest forms of life reside

Universe space: layers of clouds which surround the upper world

Space beyond: an infinite volume without soul, matter, time, medium of motion or medium of rest.

Everyone is bound within the universe by one's karma (the accumulated good and evil that one has done).

Moksha (liberation from an endless succession of lives through reincarnation) is achieved by enlightenment, which can be attained only through asceticism.

They are expected to follow five principles of living:

Ahimsa: "non violence in all parts of a person -- mental, verbal and physical." 3 Committing an act of violence against a human, animal, or even vegetable generates negative karma which in turn adversely affects one's next life.

Satya: speaking truth; avoiding falsehood

Asteya: to not steal from others

Brahma-charya: (soul conduct); remaining sexually monogamous to one's spouse only

Aparigraha: detach from people, places and material things. Avoiding the collection of excessive material possessions, abstaining from over-indulgence, restricting one's needs, etc.

Jains follow a vegetarian diet. (At least one information source incorrectly states that they follow a frutarian diet -- the practice of only eating that which will not kill the plant or animal from which it is taken. e.g. milk, fruit, nuts.)

They often read their sacred texts daily.

Jains are recommended to pass through four stages during their lifetime:

Brahmacharya-ashrama: the life of a student

Gruhasth-ashrama: family life

Vanaprasth-ashrama: family and social services

Sanyast-ashrama: life as a monk; a period of renunciation

Divisions among Jains

There are two groups of Jains:

The Digambaras (literally "sky clad" or naked): Their monks carry asceticism to the point of rejecting even clothing (even when they appear in public).

The Shvetambaras (literally "white clad"): their monks wear simple white robes. The laity are permitted to wear clothes of any color.

References:
  1. Yahoo has a list of Jain sites at: http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/
  2. The University of Michigan Jains has a very complete and attractive website on Jainism at: http://www.umich.edu/~umjains/
  3. Jainism: Principles, Tradition and Practices is also an inclusive website on Jainism at: http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/jainhlinks.html
  4. Jainism at: http://www.ops.org/scrtec/india/jainism.html
Good Luck on your Project! :-)

chacha_jalebi
08-16-2006, 07:33 PM
why dont u try www.google.com :p lol naa me messin

i think jainism sista is a sect of hinduism :D i think :D

therebbe
08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
why dont u try www.google.com :p lol naa me messin

i think jainism sista is a sect of hinduism :D i think :D
Google is always helpful as well. ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
yeh lol woh threbbe you just done her essay for her, with your post :D:D:D well done lol

chacha_jalebi
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
yeh lol , woh threbbe you just done her essay for her, with your post :D:D:D well done lol

north_malaysian
08-17-2006, 06:11 AM
I've seen a documentary about Jains in Malaysia which they were celebrating Mahavira's Birthday.

There are about 3,000 Jains (Gujerati speaking) in Malaysia. During that festivity they have a small cradle (Mahavira's cradle?) and they swing the cradle and put money under the cradle too while singing songs. They also have procession.

They are strictly vegetarians... and some wear masks that cover noses and mouths from insects. I think Mahavira is their prophet.

therebbe
08-17-2006, 12:46 PM
and some wear masks that cover noses and mouths from insects
Wow. I guess you never know when one could sneak in there.

QuranStudy
08-17-2006, 01:18 PM
I gave therebbe reps for his input.

AvarAllahNoor
08-17-2006, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
I have to do a project on Jainism

plzzz help :grumbling

get sum info for meeeeee :hiding:

i neeeeeeeed help! :heated:

thanks
;D ;D ;D
Ever heard of Google? ;D

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jainism.htm

AvarAllahNoor
08-17-2006, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
[B]

The Digambaras (literally "sky clad" or naked): Their monks carry asceticism to the point of rejecting even clothing (even when they appear in public).
Ooooh nudists....

AvarAllahNoor
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Wow. I guess you never know when one could sneak in there.
lol

smile
08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks ppl

I know google

I know it's bad but i'm laazy

and besides I count count on good friends like yous

thank you everbody

:)

therebbe
08-21-2006, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
Thanks ppl

I know google

I know it's bad but i'm laazy

and besides I count count on good friends like yous

thank you everbody

:)

Your lazy to type in the word "Jainism"???

If it is to many letters for you, I'm sure you could type in the letters "Jain" and get some info. Saves you the waste of time pressing 'three keys" :giggling:

cihad
08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Your lazy to type in the word "Jainism"???

If it is to many letters for you, I'm sure you could type in the letters "Jain" and get some info. Saves you the waste of time pressing 'three keys" :giggling:

:giggling: ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.