/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Deserts Special?

Woodrow
08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I have always enjoyed walks in the Desret. The Sahara is one of my favorite places along with the Mojave. I love the peace and tranquility of a desert. To me the only things that can approach it are sailing on the open sea or soloing in a light plane.

The Navajo Indians of the USA have an old saying: "A man can walk into the desert, but he will never return. He will either leave part of himself with the desert or take part of the desert with him."

Is there any reason as to why so many Prophets(PBUT) of the Abrahamic Religions (Judaism. Christianity, Islam) lived or traveled in the desert?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
deserts are very special, and i think the most spiritual of any land. you cannot help but be in deep awe over everything there. the fact that there is way more life than you would think possible.
desert life is a combination of great strength and great fragility. i live in semi-desert and the actual desert is not far from here and i love to go there.
there is also a sense of being out of time - a sense of infinity, eternity.
i have felt closer to god in the than in any other place. it seems to encourage contemplation.
also the solitude in the desert seems like a special kind of solitude.
very hard to put in words, but i tried!
p.s. plus, there are great snakes in the desert - an extra bonus.

mlsh27
08-16-2006, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
deserts are very special, and i think the most spiritual of any land. you cannot help but be in deep awe over everything there. the fact that there is way more life than you would think possible.
desert life is a combination of great strength and great fragility. i live in semi-desert and the actual desert is not far from here and i love to go there.
i have felt closer to god in the than in any other place. it seems to encourage contemplation.
I think it depends on the person. I grew up in the desert, so it's nothing exciting to me...I prefer the mountains for inspiration.

therebbe
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
I like the mountains and lakes. It is much more peaceful and tranquil to me.

Deserts I can get sick of pretty quickly, because they are so hot/dry.

Just my opinion though.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I think it depends on the person. I grew up in the desert, so it's nothing exciting to me...I prefer the mountains for inspiration.
yeah, i think you're right - it's an individual thing. i like mountains too. in general, i feel closer to god when i am surrounded by nature's beauty - next best is listening to music.
mish27, i'm glad you came back.
rebbe, i love dry heat!

mlsh27
08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah, i think you're right - it's an individual thing. i like mountains too. in general, i feel closer to god when i am surrounded by nature's beauty - next best is listening to music.
mish27, i'm glad you came back.
rebbe, i love dry heat!
Thx, but I am leaving for good because they won't let me back in the sister's rooom.

Snowflake
08-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Wow! That was like reading an extract from a novel! Very descriptive. I've never really been attracted to deserts before. But this made me see them in a new light. Especially the bit about feeling closer to God. Nice read - thank you.

Woodrow
08-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Yes it is difficult to put into words. You said what I was trying to say, much better than my feeble attempt.

I love these words.

you cannot help but be in deep awe over everything there. the fact that there is way more life than you would think possible.
desert life is a combination of great strength and great fragility.
A desert is so paradoxol and wonderous. There is so much life in what seems so lifeless. It is also so fantastic that what you see as massive strength in a desert is often very fragile, while small inconspicuous life forms are strong beyond belief.

PS another snake lover here. I love the desert snakes, and the adaptations they have had to make to survive.

Allah-creation
08-17-2006, 12:26 AM
i think desert are holy, becuase if you want to live at desert locations you will definitely need patience. maybe god is testing prophets by making them live at desert. Just an opinion.

glo
08-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Interesting.
I have never thouht of the desert as a special place ... but then I have never exerienced the desert.

Personally I think the beauty of God's creation is in nature everywhere. I feel drawn to water (especially the sea) and woods.

But I can imagine that the peace and quiet of the desert is something different. Perhaps in such peace and tranquility it is easier to be closer to God ...

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Interesting.
I have never thouht of the desert as a special place ... but then I have never exerienced the desert.

Personally I think the beauty of God's creation is in nature everywhere. I feel drawn to water (especially the sea) and woods.

But I can imagine that the peace and quiet of the desert is something different. Perhaps in such peace and tranquility it is easier to be closer to God ...
Being out on the open sea is an experience very similar to being in the desert. Perhaps it is the tranquility, combined with an underling knowledge of immense power beneath your feet, that makes it so conduceive to prayer.

It is a strange mixture of feelings, on one hand realization of being alone and at the same time an overwhelming knowledge of not being alone.

north_malaysian
08-18-2006, 03:56 AM
Never been to a desert...

But i really love the rainforests ..... the small streams, the waterfalls .... the leeches.....

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 03:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Never been to a desert...

But i really love the rainforests ..... the small streams, the waterfalls .... the leeches.....
LOL
the leeches.....
We have lots of them in the USA too. Only we call them politicians.

Actualy rain forsts do have a charm. Outside of Hawaii we only have one rain forest in the USA and oddly it is not tropical it is Olynpia forest in Oregon, State.

The only thing I find distracting in the South American rain forests is the constant chatter of the birds. But, many people find that relazing.

F.Y.
08-18-2006, 04:02 AM
I absolutely adore desert too. I've never been to Egypt or anything but I am in awe of the Australian desert. I have been outback a few times and most people get sick of it "There's nothing there! A dead looking tree here and there!" Although I agree, the ruggedness and the colours (rich reds) give it a magical atmosphere. I agree with snakelegs, it feels like you're out of time with everything else - like it's all running on your clock ...but you know there is higher power controlling it all.
You feel like a speck of dust along with everything else becuase everything is so vast. Apparently some Japanese exchange students who were taken to the outback started getting breathing problems and I dont know if its the right term - but Claustrophobia. They couldnt get over the space and vastness - it scared them really badly becasue they were used to enclosed spaces.

Peace

north_malaysian
08-18-2006, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The only thing I find distracting in the South American rain forests is the constant chatter of the birds. But, many people find that relazing.
I love the sounds of birds and primates, especially 'Ungka' (A usual primate u can find in Malaysian jungles). Ungka makes ultra-loud "Wo-wo-wo-wo" sound. But have to beware with snakes (lots of them), wildboars and occasionally elephants and God forbids .... tiger!!!

But it's so scary to be there at night. Luckily I was blindfolded!!!!:X

afriend
08-18-2006, 04:15 AM
LOL We have lots of them in the USA too. Only we call them politicians.
Actualy rain forsts do have a charm. Outside of Hawaii we only have one rain forest in the USA and oddly it is not tropical it is Olynpia forest in Oregon, State.

LMAO!!!!!! LOL!!!

The USA has been....How can I put this? Amazing!! North Carolina was just a beauty. Kill Devils was fascinating ;) Wright brothers ;)

Virginia is just so vast and peaceful....And New york is like being at home...It's going to be like being at home 1 week in advance :'(

syilla
08-18-2006, 05:39 AM
never been to the dessert...

but i love the island and sea....i used to follow my grandfather to island across south china sea...

using a small boat....sometimes we catch fish...

ahhh...those times...

glo
08-18-2006, 08:15 AM
It is a strange mixture of feelings, on one hand realization of being alone and at the same time an overwhelming knowledge of not being alone.
Yep ... I like the way you put that! :statisfie

north_malaysian
08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
never been to the dessert...

but i love the island and sea....i used to follow my grandfather to island across south china sea...

using a small boat....sometimes we catch fish...

ahhh...those times...
Pulau Kapas? (Kapas Island)

Amazingly, even I'm an islander ... but I never catch any fish in my life!!!!:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

syilla
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Pulau Kapas? (Kapas Island)

Amazingly, even I'm an islander ... but I never catch any fish in my life!!!!:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
nope...

small islands around sarawak...

it is a private island...there isn't even a jetty...

north_malaysian
08-21-2006, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
nope...

small islands around sarawak...

it is a private island...there isn't even a jetty...
The mystical Puteri Santubong Island?:rollseyes

syilla
08-21-2006, 02:18 AM
The mystical Puteri Santubong Island?:rollseyes
nah...hehe...i never know that there is such island.

i don't think it has any name...

it is just an unknown private island...

north_malaysian
08-21-2006, 02:20 AM
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Have been to Pulau Dayang Bunting (Pregnant Maiden Island)?

It's so mysterious ... I've been there once!!!

syilla
08-21-2006, 02:26 AM
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Have been to Pulau Dayang Bunting (Pregnant Maiden Island)?

It's so mysterious ... I've been there once!!!
oh...i saw it in the mystery program...can't remember which channel.

Actually i never been to any island...except for the unknown islands...(which my late grandfather...bring me along)

north_malaysian
08-21-2006, 02:50 AM
When I was in Secondary school, our hostel organized a trip to Langkawi Islands.

On the second day, we've got this sea trip to visit smaller islands surrounding Langkawi. We was very exciting and making noises.

While approaching Dayang Bunting island. Suddenly the boatman told us taboos of the island:-

1) No Bad words
2) Dont take anything from the island.
3) Wear life-jacket when swimming in the Dayang Bunting Lake..

Then he stopped the boat in the middle of the sea.... and asked to observe the island's shape (the hills) ... and all of us went :uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

There were the face (complete with nose and mouth shape), the breast, the pregnant tummy, the knee and fingers of the feet..... It's like a pregnant giant sleeping covered with rainforests.

There was small jetty ... but because there were lots of tourists ... the boat stopped about 50 m from the beach .. and we have to walk (or swim) to the beach. To my amazement there were not a single sand there.... only small pebbles. And the island is made of marble ... no sands and slippery!!! The boatman said that all trees available in the Peninsula Malaysia are available too on Dayang Bunting Island... But I dont observe the trees but went direct to the lake.....looks so deep!!!! And yes it's DEEP!!! No wonder we have to wear life-jackets....

syilla
08-21-2006, 03:45 AM
When I was in Secondary school, our hostel organized a trip to Langkawi Islands.

On the second day, we've got this sea trip to visit smaller islands surrounding Langkawi. We was very exciting and making noises.

While approaching Dayang Bunting island. Suddenly the boatman told us taboos of the island:-

1) No Bad words
2) Dont take anything from the island.
3) Wear life-jacket when swimming in the Dayang Bunting Lake..

Then he stopped the boat in the middle of the sea.... and asked to observe the island's shape (the hills) ... and all of us went :uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

There were the face (complete with nose and mouth shape), the breast, the pregnant tummy, the knee and fingers of the feet..... It's like a pregnant giant sleeping covered with rainforests.

There was small jetty ... but because there were lots of tourists ... the boat stopped about 50 m from the beach .. and we have to walk (or swim) to the beach. To my amazement there were not a single sand there.... only small pebbles. And the island is made of marble ... no sands and slippery!!! The boatman said that all trees available in the Peninsula Malaysia are available too on Dayang Bunting Island... But I dont observe the trees but went direct to the lake.....looks so deep!!!! And yes it's DEEP!!! No wonder we have to wear life-jackets....
it sounds so interesting...

but i don't think i want or have the courage to go...

Tania
08-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I would like to go with a camel in desert:)
In forests i like the roustle of leafs blowed by wind

Fishman
08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
i think desert are holy, becuase if you want to live at desert locations you will definitely need patience. maybe god is testing prophets by making them live at desert. Just an opinion.
:sl:
Not all the prophets lived in or near the desert, since every nation has had a warner?
:w:

Hashim_507
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
I grew up in California, during vecation i visited death valley. The desert was very hot and sunny. I realised my water bottles was all empty, water was precious. I drove back to the cities, I had nothing with me besides being thirsty. My advice to you people is always fill your water containers, large or small. I look forward to visit Saudia Arabia deserts, its a lot different from death valley.

Lina
08-21-2006, 01:12 PM
:sl:

Lots of people travel to the sahara (north Africa) for medical reasons.
They bury people into the sand for a few moments and for some reason it cures them from certain illnesses.

Wa Allahu A'lam.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.