/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Muslims “victims of racial profiling”

sonz
08-17-2006, 07:04 PM
U.S. Muslim leaders say five Muslims cleared of "terrorism" charges this week were victims of racial profiling, the Chicago Tribune reported.

On Tuesday, prosecutors in Ohio dropped "terrorism" charges against Osama Abulhassan and Ali Houssaiky, saying they didn’t have enough information to prove that the men were involved in a "terrorist" plot.

"Our office and federal authorities do not believe that the defendants pose an imminent threat at this time," prosecutors said.

The men were arrested last week after they bought around 600 cell phones, which they intended to resell for a profit. They were charged with soliciting or providing for an act of terrorism, money laundering and a misdemeanor charge of lying to police.

The release comes just a day after the FBI said it found no evidence that three Texas men of Palestinian origin, also arrested last week in Michigan, have links to "terrorism".

Muslim leaders in Michigan complained that both groups of men were the victims of racial profiling.

"There was definitely some bad judgment used by some officials in Marietta (Ohio)," Abulhassan said after having spent nearly a week in jail.

"I couldn't tell you for sure whether it was racial profiling, but it definitely felt that way,” he added.

Muslim leaders also say that such arrests indicate increased targeting of Arab-Americans since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

"This is a very alarming trend and we have every right to be concerned," said Imad Hamad, Midwest regional director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee.

"If local police departments become the experts in terrorism and national security matters, they can just make an allegation that can ruin people's lives, simply because of ethnicity and national origin,” he added.

According to the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), reports of discrimination against Muslims sharply increased in the first six months after 9/11, fell in 2002, but climbed again after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The number of assault or other discriminatory complaints filed with CAIR increased from 1,019 in 2003 to 1,972 in 2005, says Arsalan Iftikhar, CAIR's national legal director.

AlJAzeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
08-17-2006, 08:36 PM
I believe the issue was the purchase of the cellphones, which can be used with explosive devices. I would rather my government make some mistakes than not investigate.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Profiling is going to happen due to the US war against terror. It is a harsh reality that people need to face.

Jayda
08-19-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't think racial profiling is ever right... I think that if we start to let the police assume people are more likely to be guilty of a crime, or better "suspects" then we begin to build cultural stereotypes that we will all share... we are not at war with muslims... they didn't do anything to us... it's terrorists and anybody can be a terrorist

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jayda
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Oh thank you for the private message! I tried to reply but it will not let me... so please do not think I am blowing you off...

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
I don't think racial profiling is ever right... I think that if we start to let the police assume people are more likely to be guilty of a crime, or better "suspects" then we begin to build cultural stereotypes that we will all share... we are not at war with muslims... they didn't do anything to us... it's terrorists and anybody can be a terrorist
True, the USA is not at war with Islam. But it's undeniable that many muslims defend terrorism which makes it more difficult for the rest of the muslims.

Jayda
08-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I did not know they defend terrorism... and I admit that is very disappointing... but I think maybe we just have to accept it is a consequence of free speech and hope that they stop holding those views... but we can't arrest them or assume they are guilty all the time because of that... maybe we have to be even more on our guard about our reactions to make sure we are still pursuing justice and not reveange for offending us...

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=Jayda;456899]but we can't arrest them or assume they are guilty all the time because of that... [QUOTE]
Why shouldn't we? We need to protect ourselves. I'm not talking about aimlessly arresting muslims because they might pose a threat. I'm talking about arresting anyone who engages in a suspicious activity.

Jayda
08-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't think it is good to protect ourselves at other peoples' expense...

Fishman
08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Profiling is going to happen due to the US war against terror. It is a harsh reality that people need to face.
:sl:
Why can't police just stop someone who is acting suspiciously, or arrest people who they have real evidence against?
:w:

Hawa
08-19-2006, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda

"We must always remember that unlike acts of arson or murder, acts of terror refer less to objective deeds than to the reactions of a populace. By this logic whatever spreads terror is an act of terror and who does that better these days than our own electioneering government?"

I can name a hundred terrorists right off the bat, and none of them are muslims.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Why can't police just stop someone who is acting suspiciously, or arrest people who they have real evidence against?
That is what they did in the Michigan case. Of course, some will agree and others will disagree.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hawa
[/B]

"We must always remember that unlike acts of arson or murder, acts of terror refer less to objective deeds than to the reactions of a populace. By this logic whatever spreads terror is an act of terror and who does that better these days than our own electioneering government?"

I can name a hundred terrorists right off the bat, and none of them are muslims.
I urge you to report them to your local officials.

Fishman
08-19-2006, 09:35 PM
That is what they did in the Michigan case. Of course, some will agree and others will disagree.
You can't arrest somebody on terrorism charges if the only evidence you have is that they bought a load of mobile phones! :playing:

Keltoi
08-19-2006, 09:35 PM
When you are faced with terrorism, you look for those whose profile matches that of a terrorist. If you are looking for homegrown militia people, you look for white men. If you are looking for Arab and Muslim based terrorism, you look for Arabs and or Muslim men, and women of course. The same thing the police do on a daily basis with less violent crimes.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
You can't arrest somebody on terrorism charges if the only evidence you have is that they bought a load of mobile phones! :playing:
Why can't you? They fit the profile of a terrorist.

Fishman
08-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Why can't you? They fit the profile of a terrorist.
According to that, so would Delboy Trotter!

Jayda
08-26-2006, 06:24 PM
...racial profiling is very degrading... I don't think many people understand that...

My cousin was pulled over in Texas once and they asked to see his citizenship, when he showed them his drivers license the cop said that it didn't prove citizenship, so my cousin (who was born in florida) said he could not give the cop what he wanted and the cop beat him up...

I know border security is important but because it was important the officer had power he normally wouldn't and he used it just to degrade my cousin... there are lots of examples of this, when I was in the minority women's organization at school we invited a speaker to talk about how she was sexually assaulted by police just "doing their job." I don't think there is ever a good reason to give people that kind of power to do that to other people...

but i don't think the war on terror is a good idea to begin with... there are non-violent solutions left...

Jayda
08-26-2006, 06:25 PM
lol fishman I think your avatar is brilliant. Pluto shouldn't be demoted to a satellite...

Jayda
08-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I should add that I have never been targeted for racial profiling... even when I dye my hair darker which looks more "latina" to some people. My cousin is really dark skinned and I am not...

Ghazi
08-26-2006, 06:42 PM

This profiling business is stupid, everyone now knows it's going on so what would a terrorist orginisation due simple use none asian or arab people, seriously who ever came up with this idea needs to step into a mosque.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.