/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hizbullah hands out compensation

I R Paki
08-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Hizbullah hands out compensation
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
BEIRUT

At a school in south Beirut's Bourj el-Barajneh neighborhood, Hizbullah on Friday started handing out one hundred dollar bills to residents who lost their homes in the Israel-Hizbullah conflict - US$12,000 to each claimant.

Applicants who had signed up for the aid earlier in the week showed up at the school, showed identification papers and only had to sign a receipt. Hizbullah workers handed residents stacks of bills from a suitcase.

Hizbullah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, in a television speech on Monday shortly after the cease-fire with Israel took hold, pledged to help rebuild Lebanon and said the organization would provide money for civilians who had lost their homes to pay rent and buy furniture.

Nasrallah did not say where the money would come from, but Iran historically has been the group's primary source of finance and weapons. The Iranians were widely believed to have opened their treasury for the rebuilding program.

Nasrallah, and the government's Higher Relief Council which deals with catastrophic events, said 15,000 housing units were hit during the war.

Hundreds of residents of the southern suburbs, known as Dahiyeh, turned out at makeshift registration centers on Wednesday and Thursday to sign up for the aid. As of Thursday afternoon, they began collecting. Hizbullah members called people by phone to come and collect their money.

At the Shahed school, pictures of Nasrallah and those of Iranian leaders, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, adorned the walls of one classroom along with one poster of a Star of David broken in half. The words "Congratulations on the victory" were printed on Khamenei's picture.

A Hizbullah official said a total of 900 people had been compensated so far, adding that he expected thousands to come forth in the next few days.

There were some complaints from those whose homes were demolished that the money is not sufficient.
Of the US$12,000, some US$4,000 was to pay for rent one year to those whose apartments were completely devastated, and US$8,000 was for furniture.

That money may not be enough for those who own apartments, but for those who lived in rent-controlled apartment, it could be fair compensation.

In one instance, a couple of beneficiaries showed up to return some of the money after one official had mistakenly handed over US$120,000 in cash to an applicant, instead of the US$12,000. Those who had taken the big payment were asked to return it when the error was discovered.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-18-2006, 07:36 PM
I will commend them for that act. It is a very generous act and of great need to the people of Lebannon. It does show that Hizbullah does have concern for the Lebonnese people.

But, I am a bit puzzled as to why they used American Currency. Our currency is only as good as the integrity of the US Government. For a foreign nation to use American currency it is a statement of belief that the USA has the strength and integrity to back up it's promise to make the money redeemable.

Seems a bit hypocritical for Hizbullah to distrust the American Government, yet trust our currency.

I am curious as to why they did not have the same trust for Iranian currency.

wilberhum
08-18-2006, 07:51 PM
It does show that Hizbullah does have concern for the Lebonnese people.
I think if Hezbollah had concern for the Lebanese people, the last insolent would not have occurred. And I fail to see the generosity in giving away someone else money. Hezbollah has won a political victory and they are increasing that victory. Most of the world wants them unarmed. Without local support they will be unarmed. So I think they are generously looking after there own future.

therebbe
08-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I think Hezbollah is performing 'damage control' right now because all the Lebanese waving there flags are now returning to there destroyed homes caused by a war that began because of Hezbollahs instigation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
08-18-2006, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
But, I am a bit puzzled as to why they used American Currency. Our currency is only as good as the integrity of the US Government. For a foreign nation to use American currency it is a statement of belief that the USA has the strength and integrity to back up it's promise to make the money redeemable.

Seems a bit hypocritical for Hizbullah to distrust the American Government, yet trust our currency.

I am curious as to why they did not have the same trust for Iranian currency.
It has far more to do with the size and stability of the US economy rather than the integrity of the US government. Hezbollah are just being pragmatic.. next to bars of gold the US dollar is the nearest thing there is to a universal currency, and unlike Iranian money the Lebanese will have no trouble finding people who will accept it. There is no point in giving them money they cannot spend, and all that would have happened with any other currency is a desperate scramble to exchange it for US dollars, the Lebanese getting half what the money was worth and somebody making fat profits off their backs.

I'm just curious where Hezbollah got all this cash from in the first place.

therebbe
08-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Iran or donations from other people who possibly thought they were giving to 'charities'. Who knows. For all you know they might have recieved a different currency and just exchanged it somehow because the US dollar will be easier to pay someone with.

Woodrow
08-18-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It has far more to do with the size and stability of the US economy rather than the integrity of the US government. Hezbollah are just being pragmatic.. next to bars of gold the US dollar is the nearest thing there is to a universal currency, and unlike Iranian money the Lebanese will have no trouble finding people who will accept it. There is no point in giving them money they cannot spend, and all that would have happened with any other currency is a desperate scramble to exchange it for US dollars, the Lebanese getting half what the money was worth and somebody making fat profits off their backs.

True, it does have more to do with the size and stability, but the stability is very much dependent on integrity. During the cold war the former USSR had size and stability. But, no country outside the Russian bloc would accept Russian currency.

I'm just curious where Hezbollah got all this cash from in the first place
Sadly, the people that really need to know that are people that will never see the need in asking.

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 08:28 PM
mashallah

may Allah (swt) help hezbollah, because they seem propa on haq mashallah :D:D:D

therebbe
08-18-2006, 08:37 PM
haq mashallah
What does that mean?

QuranStudy
08-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I dont see the Israelis paying for the damage they caused.

God bless Hezbollah.

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
What does that mean?
haq means truth :D its a name attributed to Allah (swt)

so i was sayin Hezbollah seem true, bless em :D:D:D

therebbe
08-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Actually... you should look that up. :)

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Actually... you should look that up. :)
where? source pweas:D:D:D:D

wilberhum
08-18-2006, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy

God bless Hezbollah.
I don't see Hezbollah paying for the damage they caused. Have you ever looked at the othere side of a coin? Why does your comment that cuts both ways only points in one direction. A typical stance for people who live in a black and white world.

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I don't see Hezbollah paying for the damage they caused. Have you ever looked at the othere side of a coin? Why does your comment that cuts both ways only points in one direction. A typical stance for people who live in a black and white world.
why should hezbollah pay for its damage to the israelis? israel themselfs are blame for the damage :D:D:D:D

Trumble
08-18-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
During the cold war the former USSR had size and stability. But, no country outside the Russian bloc would accept Russian currency.
The USSR had size and stability, but its economy (outside the military sector) did not, and was hopelessly outdated and uncompetitive compared to the US and Europe. That's the primary reason there no longer IS a USSR (so much for stability)! Remember also, by its very nature as a Communist state, the USSR could not have a freely convertable and marketable currency in the same way as the Western democracies.

It will take an awful lot more than an idiot President or two and a few unjustified wars before the world loses faith in the US dollar.

therebbe
08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
why should hezbollah pay for its damage to the israelis? israel themselfs are blame for the damage
That is right! Israel is completly to blame for letting there two soliders get kidnaped by Hezbollah and then letting all those missles that Hezbollah fired hit there residents homes! The nerve of Israel!

Who on earth could deny your logic?

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 08:53 PM
That is right! Israel is completly to blame for letting there two soliders get kidnaped by Hezbollah and then letting all those missles hit there residents homes! The nerve of Israel!
yeh glad we agree :p

israel sudnt have launched missiles 1ST, they think they all badman, well they got mashed up :D, their chumps america 1st wudnt approve a ceasefire bcos they thought, hezbollah wud get beaten, but when gay bush saw that hezbollah was beatin the crap out of israel, he supported a ceasefire:p so israel is to blame :D:D:D:D: brap brapp :D

therebbe
08-18-2006, 09:02 PM
well well you sure know a lot about good old georgy, summin goin on???
I'm not sure... is "summin" going on?

israel launched the 1st rocket attacks, then hezbollah retaliated
Actually your wrong. The first rocket attacks were launched at a town called Kryat Shmona, Israel in response for Israeli troops trying to rescue there two soldiers after Hezbollah began the war by killing 8, and capturing 2.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2006, 09:05 PM
dont think we cant say the same for u.

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 09:06 PM

I'm not sure... is "summin" going on?

Actually your wrong. The first rocket attacks were launched at a town called Kryat Shmona in response for Israeli troops trying to rescue there two soldiers after Hezbollah began the war by killing 8, and capturing 2.
bla bla bla bla bla :p

the truth is israel launched attacks 1st, and they attacked civilians 1st, atleast hezbollah went & fought the army, israelis are wannabes, kill civilians & they think they win a war :p NO, everyone knows they lost this war :D

and mashallah again that Hezbollah is givin compensation :D

wilberhum
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
dont think we cant say the same for u.
You can say anything you want. You don't have to be truthfull either. :giggling:

therebbe
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
the truth is israel launched attacks 1st, and they attacked civilians 1st,
The only problem with that statement is that it is not the truth.

The first rockets landed in Northern Israel, not Lebanon. I'm sorry to point out what is false but I must for the sake of spreading the truth and not lies.

wilberhum
08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
bla bla bla bla bla :hiding:
If you don't like the truth, just change it. Right! :giggling:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
You can say anything you want. You don't have to be truthfull either. :giggling:
nah i like to be truthful, because thats also part of being a Muslim. I dont like liars.

chacha_jalebi
08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
The only problem with that statement is that it is not the truth.

The first rockets landed in Northern Israel, not Lebanon. I'm sorry to point out what is false but I must.
lol ok :rollseyes lets say its false to make you happy, bottom of the day, israel killed innocents & hezbollah smashed up your army:D:D:D

israel knows not to mess with hezbollah now :D:D:D

therebbe
08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
israel killed innocents & hezbollah smashed up your army
Did they really? And what makes them "My Army" again?

israel knows not to mess with hezbollah now
Do they? If Israel really wanted to destroy Hezbollah and did not have any care for the civilians they would have just droped a Nuke and that would have done the trick.

Trumble
08-18-2006, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
lol ok :rollseyes lets say its false to make you happy, bottom of the day, israel killed innocents & hezbollah smashed up your army:D:D:D

israel knows not to mess with hezbollah now :D:D:D
Hardly. Hezbollah killed a few soldiers (in terms of war) and destroyed a few vehicles, that's all. At significant cost to themselves.

Israel could wipe out Hezbollah at will in Lebanon, if they so wished, albeit at some cost. The reason they did not do so is political, not military... it would have necessitated the invasion and occupation of Lebanon, rather than the limited action that actually occured.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Do they? If Israel really wanted to destroy Hezbollah and did not have any care for the civilians they would have just droped a Nuke and that would have done the trick.
And if they did that, everyone would be against them and hatin their guts. They dont wana look like the bad guys. Tricky tricky:D

QuranStudy
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
And if they did that, everyone would be against them and hatin their guts. They dont wana look like the bad guys. Tricky tricky
Lebanon is a tiny place. If they used nukes, Israel will harm themselves as well.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
thats true too.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-18-2006, 10:55 PM
ermmmm what was this thread about anyway???

Woodrow
08-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Getting too far off topic results in a massive removal of off topic posts.

جوري
08-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Did they really? And what makes them "My Army" again?

I no longer care to participate in this forum... I get sick of subjective views... but just wish to share one reason as to why Israel can't open "nukes" as you call them... they live right smack in the middle east... eventually it will (rain down acid)... and that is a figure of speech btw, on the entire area .....Israel included.....that wouldn't be very progressive of this powerful undefeated democratic country....now everyone can carry on with my brother can kick ur brother A$$ and the nyanya nya nya nyaaaaa

Keltoi
08-19-2006, 04:02 AM
Hezbollah are very smart in the way they operate. Grass roots support is very important for an organization such as Hezbollah, and what better way to gain grass roots support than to use the millions of dollars they recieve from Iran and others to make many in the Lebanese population dependant upon their charity. I'm not saying that all the social service and charity work that Hezbollah does is a ruse to gain support, but it has that effect obviously.

Wahid
08-19-2006, 05:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Hezbollah are very smart in the way they operate. Grass roots support is very important for an organization such as Hezbollah, and what better way to gain grass roots support than to use the millions of dollars they recieve from Iran and others to make many in the Lebanese population dependant upon their charity. I'm not saying that all the social service and charity work that Hezbollah does is a ruse to gain support, but it has that effect obviously.
Right, judge people's intentions without any shred of evidence.. the same arguments can be said of ANY US & western foreign aids and charities if this is the case
Grass roots support is very important for an organization such as Hezbollah
what is wrong in helping people and getting their grass root support out of your pockets & generosity..? (even if iran pays for it, they still give it to hezbolAllah and it is THEIR MONEY now)

Keltoi
08-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, simply that is a large factor in their popularity, not their fighting with Israel.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Helping and aiding is what Muslims are told to do. I guess some people don't understand that.(Generally speaking)

ManchesterFolk
08-19-2006, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Helping and aiding is what Muslims are told to do. I guess some people don't understand that.(Generally speaking)
Then why are they only giving to Shia and not Sunni Muslims?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Then why are they only giving to Shia and not Sunni Muslims?
How do u know that? Did i say Hezbollah? if thats who ur talkin bout?
I just said "generally speaking." Good God people, read carefully.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-19-2006, 10:32 PM
By they way, u should know better to even THINK of Muslims in a division. I know they exist, but i despise thinking it that way. If u follow the Quran and Sunnah, ur a Muslim regardless. Its because of "people" that it exists. Allah will not ask u if ur Sunni or Shia, never forget that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.