/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saying salam

Fishman
08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
:sl:
Should you say salam alaykum to Muslims you don't know? I tried saying salam to a brother who I was standing next to at the bus stop, but I think he just took me for some troublesome non-Muslim youth who had happened to learn some Arabic who was pulling a prank.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Should you say salam alaykum to Muslims you don't know? I tried saying salam to a brother who I was standing next to at the bus stop, but I think he just took me for some troublesome non-Muslim youth who had happened to learn some Arabic who was pulling a prank.

salam.

;D sowiee but it made me laugh, anyway i think it's best to say to a non-muslim hiya etc etc cause they understand that better but inshallah someone else can elaborate more than me inshallah.

w.salam

P.S. don't start pranking people :X :hiding:

- Qatada -
08-18-2006, 09:08 PM
:wasalamex

1. Rasulullah (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said, “You will not enter Jannah until you have perfect Imaan, and you do not have perfect Imaan until you have love and brotherhood amongst yourselves, should I not show something, if you act upon it you will love each other – make abundant and spread salaam amongst each other.” (Sahih Muslim)

2. Rasulullah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Certainly the person close to Allah Ta’ala is the one who initiates salaam.” (i.e. makes salaam first) (Mishkaat)

3. Anas (RadhiAllaahu anhu) says Rasulullah (peace and blessings be upon him) said to me O my son when you enter your home, make salaam, it will be a source of blessing for you and for your household. (Tirmidhi)

4. Rasulullah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Salaam is before speech.” (Mishkaat)

Commentary: The unique and universal greeting of Islam has been taught and encouraged to us by Rasulullah (peace and blessings be upon him). Making salaam to each other regularly builds a strong bond of love and brotherhood amongst Muslims. It also helps in killing off the maladies of pride, ostentation and avarice. Today many of us tend to greet only those who we know whereas in one Hadith it is reported, you should greet the one you know and who you don’t. Some people are shy to use the complete greeting of salaam and rather suffice with the word “salaam” only. This is incorrect. The words of salaam taught to us by the Hadith are Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh .

Rasulullah (peace and blessings be upon him) has exhorted us to spread greetings by salaam, which will strengthen our brotherhood and reap blessings. To answer someone who has greeted with salaam is compulsory. This applies to letters, e-mails etc.

source: http://www.jamiat.org.za/hadith/june_12.htm

Kittygyal
08-18-2006, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
salam
I was once at the bus station and there were a group of non-muslims standing by an area which I was about to pass through, suddenly one of them sticks his hand out and says "Salam alaikum" I thought it was a joke and kind of walked off... but then I realised he had a beard so turned around and replied walaykum salam :D
salam.

;D

it shows the "sarcasim" :X :hiding:

w.salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
08-18-2006, 09:09 PM
If he didn't reply he's just arrogant/ignorant!

Even if a non muslim says salam to me I always reply, some may disagree, but my reasons:

1.It might put them off saying it again [as it is a beautiful custom, anyone should say it]

2.It might make them feel embarrassed when they get blanked/ignored.

3.This is quite a wishful thinking point, but still, it may inspire them about Islam, and after seeing the good conduct, he may embrace Islam [Insha'Allah one day]

Now, the problem here is recognition. I always wear atleast something that shows that I am a muslim...Either the kuffi [Hat] or the full armour [;) u kno what i mean :p].....Soon a beard [which seems to be growing at a thundering rate now :happy:]....

But spread salaam to everybody...If they don't reply, say to them:

"It is waajib for a muslim to reply to this greeting"

He/she should get the message after that ;)

- Qatada -
08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
:salamext:

Praise be to Allaah.

All people have the custom of greeting one another, and every group has its own distinctive greeting that distinguishes them from other people.

The Arabs used to greet one another with the words “An’im sabaahan” or “An’imu sabaahan” [equivalent to “Good morning” – Translator], using words derived from “al-ni’mah”, which means good living after the morning. The idea was that because the morning is the first part of the day, if a person encounters something good in the morning, the rest of the day will be good too.

When Islam came, Allaah prescribed that the manner of greeting among Muslims should be “Al-salaamu alaykum,” and that this greeting should only be used among Muslims and not for other nations. The meaning of salaam (literally, peace) is harmlessness, safety and protection from evil and from faults. The name al-Salaam is a Name of Allaah, may He be exalted, so the meaning of the greeting of salaam which is required among Muslims is, “May the blessing of His Name descend upon you.” The usage of the preposition ‘ala in ‘alaykum (upon you) indicates that the greeting is inclusive.

Ibn al-Qayyim said in Badaa’i' al-Fawaa’id (144):

“Allaah, the Sovereign, the Most Holy, the Peace, prescribed that the greeting among the people of Islam should be ‘al-salaamu ‘alaykum’, which is better than all the greetings of other nations which include impossible ideas or lies, such as saying, ‘May you live for a thousand years,’ or things that are not accurate, such as ‘An’im sabaahan (Good morning),’ or actions that are not right, such as prostrating in greeting. Thus the greeting of salaam is better than all of these, because it has the meaning of safety which is life, without which nothing else can be achieved. So this takes precedence over all other aims or objectives. A person has two main aims in life: to keep himself safe from evil, and to get something good. Keeping safe from evil takes precedence over getting something good…”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made spreading salaam a part of faith. Al-Bukhaari (12, 28 and 6236), Muslim (39), Ahmad (2/169), Abu Dawood (5494), al-Nisaa’i, (8/107) and Ibn Hibbaan (505) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “What is the best thing in Islam?” He said, “Feeding others and giving the greeting of salaam to those whom you know and those whom you do not know.”

Ibn Hajar said in al-Fath (1/56):

“i.e., do not single out anybody out of arrogance or to impress them, but do it to honour the symbols of Islam and to foster Islamic brotherhood.”

Ibn Rajab said in al-Fath (1/43):

“The hadeeth makes the connection between feeding others and spreading salaam because this combines good actions in both word and deed, which is perfect good treatment (ihsaan). Indeed, this is the best thing that you can do in Islam after the obligatory duties.”

Al-Sanoosi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1/244):

“What is meant by salaam is the greeting between people, which sows seeds of love and friendship in their hearts, as does giving food. There may be some weakness in the heart of one of them, which is dispelled when he is greeted, or there may be some hostility, which is turned to friendship by the greeting.”

Al-Qaadi said in Ikmaal al-Mu’allim (1:276):

“Here the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was urging the believers to soften their hearts. The best Islamic attitude is to love one another and greet one another, and this is achieved by words and deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged the Muslims to foster love between one another by exchanging gifts and food, and by spreading salaam, and he forbade the opposite, namely forsaking one another, turning away from one another, spying on one another, seeking out information about one another, stirring up trouble and being two faced.

Love is one of the duties of Islam and one of the pillars of the Islamic system. One should give salaams to those whom one knows and those whom one does not know, out of sincerity towards Allaah; one should not try to impress other people by giving salaams only to those whom one knows and no-one else. This also entails an attitude of humility and spreading the symbols of this ummah through the word of salaam.”

Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained that this salaam spreads love and brotherhood. Muslim (54), Ahmad (2/391), and al-Tirmidhi (2513) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam amongst yourselves.”

Al-Qaadi ‘Ayaad said in al-Ikmaal (1/304):

“This is urging us to spread salaam, as mentioned above, among those whom we know and those whom we do not know. Salaam is the first level of righteousness and the first quality of brotherhood, and it is the key to creating love. By spreading salaam the Muslims’ love for one another grows stronger and they demonstrate their distinctive symbols and spread a feeling of security amongst themselves. This is the meaning of Islam.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also explained the reward earned by the one who says salaam, as was reported by al-Nisaa’i in ‘Aml al-yawm wa’l-laylah (368) and al-Bukhaari in al-Adab al-Mufrad (586) and by Ibn Hibban (493). They reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was sitting with some others, and said “Salaam ‘alaykum (peace be upon you).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] ten hasanaat (rewards).” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] twenty hasanaat.” Another man passed by and said “Salaam ‘alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings).” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “[He will have] thirty hasanaat.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded us to return salaams, and made it a right and a duty. Ahmad (2/540), al-Bukhaari (1240), Muslim (2792), al-Nisaa’i in al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah (221) and Abu Dawood (5031) all reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim has five rights over his fellow-Muslim: he should return his salaams, visit him when he is sick, attend his funeral, accept his invitation, and pray for mercy for him [say “Yarhamuk Allaah”] when he sneezes.”

It is clear that it is obligatory to say salaam and return salaams, because by doing so a Muslim is giving you safety and you have to give him safety in return. It is as if he is saying to you, “I am giving you safety and security,” so you have to give him the same, so that he does not get suspicious or think that the one to whom he has given salaam is betraying him or ignoring him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that if Muslims are ignoring or forsaking one another, this will be put to an end when one of them gives salaam. Al-Bukhaari (6233) reported that Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘It is not permissible for a Muslim to forsake his brother for more than three days, each of them turning away from the other if they meet. The better of them is the first one to say salaam.’”

This is a brief overview of the importance of giving and returning salaam.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...pray%20sitting

Fishman
08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
If he didn't reply he's just arrogant/ignorant!

Even if a non muslim says salam to me I always reply, some may disagree, but my reasons:

1.It might put them off saying it again [as it is a beautiful custom, anyone should say it]

2.It might make them feel embarrassed when they get blanked/ignored.

3.This is quite a wishful thinking point, but still, it may inspire them about Islam, and after seeing the good conduct, he may embrace Islam [Insha'Allah one day]

Now, the problem here is recognition. I always wear atleast something that shows that I am a muslim...Either the kuffi [Hat] or the full armour [;) u kno what i mean :p].....Soon a beard [which seems to be growing at a thundering rate now :happy:]....

But spread salaam to everybody...If they don't reply, say to them:

"It is waajib for a muslim to reply to this greeting"

He/she should get the message after that ;)
No, he replied (not with the correct response to salam though), but it was as if he didn't believe me when I told him I was a Muslim, and started asking a bunch of questions to find out whether I was telling the truth or not.

afriend
08-18-2006, 09:27 PM
No, he replied (not with the correct response to salam though), but it was as if he didn't believe me when I told him I was a Muslim, and started asking a bunch of questions to find out whether I was telling the truth or not.
How sad....wether the person is muslim or not...there should stil be a reply...:mad:

but consider the identification rules ;)

rania2820
08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
yes we should say salam to even muslims we dont know.but many muslims may dont give the salams back.dont worry im sure its nothing personal.i give slams to my muslims sisters that i dont even know as well.and they just stare at me like they never heard aslamu alaikum before.(LOL)

Fishman
08-19-2006, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
How sad....wether the person is muslim or not...there should stil be a reply...:mad:

but consider the identification rules ;)
He was almost definitely a Muslim. He was wearing a salwar kameez and an Islamic cap, he had walked out of the Masjid, and when he talked to me said things that a Muslim would say.

What are the identifcation rules?

strider
08-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Assalamu alaikum

It is fast become a rarity for Muslim's to stop in the street and offer their salam is they do not know you.

$i$ter
08-19-2006, 11:50 AM
salaam...

i read somewere that if a non muslim does salaam you, then you should reply by saying 'As Salaamu Ala Manit ta ba Al Huda' which means Peace Be with those on the straight past. ...ive cum acros this sentence inda Quran aswel (cnt remember wer!)

Luv & Du'as!...x

- Qatada -
08-19-2006, 12:59 PM
What are the identifcation rules?

I think it would be the trimming of the moustache, and growing the beard. The wearing of other than the kuffar dress. And not imitating them in their hairstyles either, like when they shave parts of it and leave the other part of the hair etc.

Also read:

If it is not known whether a person is a Muslim or a kaafir, can we say Salaam to him?
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=dress

Allaah Almighty knows best.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-19-2006, 01:42 PM
non muslims salaam me but theyr the chavz, n dey juz takin da ****.. lol so i jz ignor dem, dey got nutin better 2 do..

i always salam ppl and some people (muslims) who i salam dnt salam bak n juz blank me so im like :rollseyes dis hasnt happened once, its happens al da time, ma mum knwz her soo.. shes weird newayz.. bles her..

Muslim Knight
08-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Allow me to begin with the universal greeting of Peace

As-Salaamu 'alaykum

I've been thinking about it for a while so here goes;

When we say salaam to someone, we're saying it As-Salaamu 'alaykum which translates as Peace be with you. As-Salaam is also one of the 99 Beautiful Names of God, which translates as "Source of Peace and Perfection". Come to think of it, we're actually saying Source of Peace and Perfection be with you AND God be with you at the same time! This is even better than "Hi!" or the Christian's merely "God be with you".

Truly, the greeting of Islam is the most beautiful of all the greetings in the world.

asiya45
08-19-2006, 05:47 PM
My mom says when you say "Assalamualikum" (peace be with you)" to some one the Angels say "peace be with you as well" : )
so its okay even if the person doesnt reply back the Angels will :D
My mom also told everytime u enter the house ur are suppose to say ":salamext: Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh" because Angels guard your house when you arent home. :statisfie

asiya45
08-19-2006, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
Allow me to begin with the universal greeting of Peace

As-Salaamu 'alaykum

I've been thinking about it for a while so here goes;

When we say salaam to someone, we're saying it As-Salaamu 'alaykum which translates as Peace be with you. As-Salaam is also one of the 99 Beautiful Names of God, which translates as "Source of Peace and Perfection". Come to think of it, we're actually saying Source of Peace and Perfection be with you AND God be with you at the same time! This is even better than "Hi!" or the Christian's merely "God be with you".

Truly, the greeting of Islam is the most beautiful of all the greetings in the world.
Ya brother that is beautiful anit? :statisfie mashallah

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-19-2006, 05:51 PM
ohhh.. thnx 4 dat info sis :satisfie

Fishman
08-19-2006, 06:23 PM
What about non-practicing Muslim kids at my school, who would probably just go 'uhhh, whatya say'? There's this guy who keeps picking on me because I can see eye floaters, and probably because I named them as well.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-19-2006, 06:26 PM
say.. "well atleast i got a talent unlike u" n den laugh at him.. :p

Fishman
08-19-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
say.. "well atleast i got a talent unlike u" n den laugh at him.. :p
He thinks I'm wierd and am making floaters up. I don't suffer with them very badly, I can only see them when I look for them. In fact, they make long car jouneys more interesting, as you can try to make them dodge the streetlights.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
08-19-2006, 06:35 PM
ignore him, hes stupid lol

Fishman
08-19-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
WHOA :eek:

I have this problem too! Didn't know what it was called - thanks.

Always thought I was weird because I could see tiny snake-like structures that moved with my eyes. ;D

I wonder how common it is on this forum, I should do a poll.
The snake-like floaters are normal and harmless. The coloured flashy ones mean that you are going blind.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.