/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UN warns of growing Darfur crisis

Trumble
08-19-2006, 02:52 AM
The United Nations has said it is "extraordinarily concerned" about the situation in Sudan's Darfur region. Discussions have been taking place at the UN in New York about sending a major peacekeeping force there. UN Deputy Secretary-General Mark Malloch Brown said "something very ugly was brewing" and the humanitarian and security situation was deteriorating.

Britain and the US have introduced a UN draft resolution authorising deployment of at least 17,000 UN peacekeepers.

With the attention of the world focused on the situation in Lebanon, UN officials are anxious not to lose sight of the on-going violence in Darfur, the BBC's Mike Sergeant reports from the UN in New York. Sudan's government and the pro-government Arab militias are accused of war crimes against the region's black African population, although the UN has stopped short of calling it genocide.

More than 2m Sudanese have fled their homes and tens of thousands have been killed in the three-year conflict.

The new troops would reinforce an African Union presence already there. "We are extremely worried about the deterioration in the humanitarian and security situation in Darfur and the absence of a clear political path to the deployment of the UN force," Mr Malloch Brown said.

US state department spokesman Tom Casey said the Sudanese government had both a need and an obligation to accept a UN force. The British officials who drew up the resolution say they hope it can be adopted by the Security Council within a month, to enable troops to be deployed in January.

But there are big problems, our correspondent says.

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has said he does not want UN troops in Sudan. Russia and China have some reservations and there is the question of who would supply troops, with UN peacekeeping operations looking increasingly stretched, our correspondent in New York notes.

BBC

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brainiac
08-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Those people are forgotten. It looks like the Janjaweed are going to wipe them out.

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Where is bush and where is blair?? Oh yes i forgot no oil so why intervene.

This has been going on for ages, and they use the lebanon/israel crisis as a front. Where are the christian countries now?? Why not save the christians? It makes my blood boil! All talk and no action and then Kofi anan has the nerve to go to places such as Rawanda/Bosnia and say 'Never again shall we allow this to happen' ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WELL DO SOMETHING NOW YOU CRETINS!!!!

Keltoi
08-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Where was the oil in Kosovo? Oil has nothing to do with it. The United States and the U.K can't do everything. Why aren't African and Arab countries doing more to stop mass killing and death in their own region?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
brainiac
08-19-2006, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor

This has been going on for ages, and they use the lebanon/israel crisis as a front. Where are the christian countries now?? Why not save the christians? It makes my blood boil! All talk and no action and then Kofi anan has the nerve to go to places such as Rawanda/Bosnia and say 'Never again shall we allow this to happen' ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WELL DO SOMETHING NOW YOU CRETINS!!!!

Why don't the Muslim countries stop the Janjaweed ? They are THEIR 'brothers in Islam'. And why don't you hear the Muslim world screaming over this ? Because it's Arab Muslims killing black Christians. Why is it always the U.S. or the U.K. who has to stop this stuff ? Let Russia or China or France (joke) do it. They want to play 'Superpower'. That song is getting old. The U.S. saved the Bosnian Muslims and they didn't have any oil, so that argument is B.S. We saved the Kuwaitis while the Muslim world looked on with their thumbs up their collective a**es, and we didn't 'steal' any oil from them. We are paying over $70 a barrel for it. Doesn't sound like 'stealing' to me. That whole argument is balony. Show me one instance where the U.S kicked someones a** and stole their oil. Sometimes I wish we would, then you'd have something REAL to piss and moan about.

KAding
08-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Yes, why don't you do something? Except yell at others to do something?

What do you expect us to do anyway? Go invade Sudan? I dare not even imagine the outcry on the forum and in the Muslim world in general. Before we know they'll have organized another 'jihad' to expell the foreign invaders of Muslims soil. So thats hardly an option!

Why do Muslim do nothing to help these fellow Muslims? More Muslims are dying in Darfur than anywhere else in the world, but Muslims are not acting. They are hardly even reporting it.

KAding
08-19-2006, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
Why don't the Muslim countries stop the Janjaweed ? They are THEIR 'brothers in Islam'. And why don't you hear the Muslim world screaming over this ? Because it's Arab Muslims killing black Christians.
Actually, the victims are also Muslim. It is Muslim on Muslim violence.

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
Why don't the Muslim countries stop the Janjaweed ? They are THEIR 'brothers in Islam'. And why don't you hear the Muslim world screaming over this ? Because it's Arab Muslims killing black Christians. Why is it always the U.S. or the U.K. who has to stop this stuff ? Let Russia or China or France (joke) do it. They want to play 'Superpower'. That song is getting old. The U.S. saved the Bosnian Muslims and they didn't have any oil, so that argument is B.S. We saved the Kuwaitis while the Muslim world looked on with their thumbs up their collective a**es, and we didn't 'steal' any oil from them. We are paying over $70 a barrel for it. Doesn't sound like 'stealing' to me. That whole argument is balony. Show me one instance where the U.S kicked someones a** and stole their oil. Sometimes I wish we would, then you'd have something REAL to piss and moan about.
LOL are you crazy dude? Why would muslims stop the death of christians? It's what these two groups do isn't it kill each other! why change a habit of a lifetime!

As for oil lets not go into it1 Africa can just about look after itself let alone intervene in a neigbouring country! I do agree with Russia and European countries trying to get involved but they seem to be ignoring the fact it's happening! Wonder what the pope is thinking.... No troops to deploy from italy then....:rollseyes. And he's supposed to be a 'representative' of God. He's made no comments, even he manages to get some air time when he wants to rant about condoms and stuff, perhaps he's blowing one up as we type....

ManchesterFolk
08-19-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm still waiting for a Muslim on this forum to actually condemn what is happening in Darfur before I move on to Blair. Notice that 1 Muslim has not posted in this thread yet. Why? Look who is commiting these crimes against huamanity.

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Yes, why don't you do something? Except yell at others to do something?

What do you expect us to do anyway? Go invade Sudan? I dare not even imagine the outcry on the forum and in the Muslim world in general. Before we know they'll have organized another 'jihad' to expell the foreign invaders of Muslims soil. So thats hardly an option!

Why do Muslim do nothing to help these fellow Muslims? More Muslims are dying in Darfur than anywhere else in the world, but Muslims are not acting. They are hardly even reporting it.
Unfortunatley i'm not a president of any country and i'm certainly not a member of the UN council :rollseyes So me taking my brother and a few friends will solve the dispute....

As far as i know it's muslims ganjaweed (whateva) are killing the christians, no? So you'd think christians would at least address it!

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
I'm still waiting for a Muslim on this forum to actually condemn what is happening in Darfur before I move on to Blair. Notice that 1 Muslim has not posted in this thread yet. Why? Look who is commiting these crimes against huamanity.
I'm no expert but they'd say 'Look at Isreal killing muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan palestine' etc.

But death of anyone should be condemned! Seems not all are as human as most!

ManchesterFolk
08-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm no expert but they'd say 'Look at Isreal killing muslims in Iraq, Afghanistan palestine' etc.

But death of anyone should be condemned! Seems not all are as human as most!
I'm just waiting for someone to say 'well there doing it to us...' to justify darfur.

Woodrow
08-19-2006, 10:59 PM
I don't know how we Americans are going to react over this. I can not see us being asked to intervene. The US commitment of troops for UN use is only 373 and those are already deployed in other areas of the world. Only 10 UN countries have a history of consitently providing troops for UN use, Bangladesh and Malaysia usually providing the most. But, they have committed themselves to Lebbanon now.

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm just waiting for someone to say 'well there doing it to us...' to justify darfur.
Well i could say that, but it won't have the same affect :giggling:

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I don't know how we Americans are going to react over this. I can not see us being asked to intervene. The US commitment of troops for UN use is only 373 and those are already deployed in other areas of the world. Only 10 UN countries have a history of consitently providing troops for UN use, Bangladesh and Malaysia usually providing the most. But, they have committed themselves to Lebbanon now.
If anyone should it's Italy, they've kept a low profile!

Trumble
08-19-2006, 11:05 PM
It wouldn't really apply; as KAding said it is essentially a muslim versus muslim conflict.

I too find the lack of responses from muslim posters (and countries, come to that) rather depressing. Surely this is one conflict in which the significant involvement of muslim nations to keep the peace could work, and make a real difference, and yet nobody seems to care as hundreds of thousands - far more than in Lebanon and Palestine - die.

Woodrow
08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
If anyone should it's Italy, they've kept a low profile!
Italy has a long history of committing UN troops during times of peace and then withdrawing at the first sign of hostilities. I should also mention 2 other countries that have a good record of being active in providing peace keeping forces and that is India and Pakistan. It is realy a sad commentary that out of 192 UN nation members only a handfull ever commit troops for Peacekeeping efforts.

AvarAllahNoor
08-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Italy has a long history of committing UN troops during times of peace and then withdrawing at the first sign of hostilities. I should also mention 2 other countries that have a good record of being active in providing peace keeping forces and that is India and Pakistan. It is realy a sad commentary that out of 192 UN nation members only a handfull ever commit troops for Peacekeeping efforts.

Did you know that US, UK, Russia, China and France are the worlds biggest arms dealers? And also 5 permanent members of the UN Council, how bloody ironic!! They provide the killing tools with the right hand and with the left provide the peace keepers! It makes my blood boil like milk in the saucepan ready to spill over the edge!!!

Keltoi
08-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Did you know that US, UK, Russia, China and France are the worlds biggest arms dealers? And also 5 permanent members of the UN Council, how bloody ironic!! They provide the killing tools with the right hand and with the left provide the peace keepers! It makes my blood boil like milk in the saucepan ready to spill over the edge!!!
This began in earnest during the Cold War, when Western nations would arm less developed countries in an attempt to stop communist expansion. It still happens today primarily because it is financially lucrative to do so. The military of any country needs weapons, and if the country doesn't have the manufacturing base to produce such weapons, they will get them by any means necessary.

Woodrow
08-20-2006, 01:16 AM
Using my prefabicated made up statistics. That first sentence is only 93.62% correct.

With the possible exception of China. The arms manufacturers are not owned nor operated by the countries. They are private companies owned by private investors. Now, for the real irony either the entire weapon or componants of the weapons used to kill both Hizbullah and Israeli forces are manufactured by compnies owned by mostly the same investors. Ironic, the companies win no matter who looses the conflict. War is very profitable to munitions investors. There is one major weapons manufacturer that is well noted for selling arms to both sides of every major world conflict since WW1 and continues to do so today.

Getting back to Darfur, it is doubtfull that either side wants or would welcome US intervention. In the event the UN becomes involved, the US only has 373 troops alloted for UN usage and they are currently deployed elsewhere. Any UN troops used would be selected from what the 192 member countries offer for usage. The countries that have been the most reliable for furnishing UN troops have already committed themselves to Lebannon.

I do not see any US intervention unless for some reason the conflict becomes a perceived threat to the US, then it would be a declared war by the US. I do not see that happening.

Trumble
08-20-2006, 07:03 AM

Getting back to Darfur, it is doubtfull that either side wants or would welcome US intervention.
I assume the Janjaweed/Sudanese government would not, but why do you think the non-Baggara people (i.e, the victims) wouldn't welcome UN intervention?

Woodrow
08-20-2006, 07:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I assume the Janjaweed/Sudanese government would not, but why do you think the non-Baggara people (i.e, the victims) wouldn't welcome UN intervention?
They might ask for UN help if they were assured the peace keeping troops came from Islamic Countries.

At the moment with all the media hype resulting from Iran and Iraq I suspect they would view any UN help as a means for the US to get control of the country. Most countries seem to equate UN with US. At the moment because of the events in Iran, Afghanistan and Iraq I think they would feel that Janjaweed/sudenese would be a lesser evil then the UN or US.

therebbe
08-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Sadly this guy seems to be right.

Durrah
08-20-2006, 10:07 PM
:sl:

Therebbe, Manchester folk is not right, Woodrow is a muslim and his posted quite alot on this thread.

Anyways that aside, whats happining in Darfur is seriously f'ed up. I'm seriously peed off from the lack of action from the more powerful muslim countries, but then again, Sudan is a black african nation and black blood is worthless compared to an arab or asian muslim. Sad but true! If this was happining in egypt, morroco or any other north african arab nation, people would be stepping in. When the tsumnai, pakistan earthquake, iranian earth quake and whatever other problem in the M.E/Asian region, the rich muslim nations stepped up to help. You have the whole large section of the east african region (which is primarly muslim) on deathrow due to famine and drought, but yet they do jack all. Besides, even if those east africans weren't muslim, we still have a responisblity to help our fellow human beings their time of need.

Regarding Darfur , I think it would be better if the African Union stepped in as opposed to western/european troops. They havent got a great track record in Africa (in genereal) and the people would feel more comfable with other africans who'd have a better understand of the situation, culture and their society.

Anyways i hope this doesnt end up like what happened in rwanda if it already hasnt happened. I watched Hotel Rwanda over the weekend and it was so hard to hold back the tears. What happened there was so devasting and the whole world just watched on. And what the leader of the U.N peace corps, in the film (candian guy i think) who was there said to Paul (the hotel manager) : "Look, they dont give a s**t about you. Your blood means nothing. Your like dirt to them. Your african and thats worse then being a n****r." Harsh but true words unfortanlty. It was in reference to the fact that the u.n didnt deploy troops there to protect the people (besides the white folk there) and intervene in what was a blatant masscare (which proabably wouldnt of occured if it wasnt for the belgians who created the Hutsis and Tutis 'ethinic' tribes on the basis of skin tone, nose width, hair texture and height, when they colonised the country, but thats another story in itself). I recommend all to watch that film as its excellent. Be sure to have some tissues on board though because some scences are just too much! (and im not one to cry over films neither but that film was just too tough not to shed a tear)

Anyhow, more action needs to take place. People need to make more noise, because relaistically most goverments dont care (some no doubt are finacially profitting from arms deals which are made with the janweed and the sudanease goverment) and sometimes its the actions and voices of the people that make things happen. Kinda like South Africa in the apartied. Whilst massive credit is due to the black south africans who defeated the regime, the strong opposition to the apartied regime and the actions of many people around the world, made their leaders take note and take strong actions, which evetually helped make a difference too.

therebbe
08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I think it would be better if the African Union stepped in as opposed to western/european troops. They havent got a great track record in Africa (in genereal) and the people would feel more comfable with other africans who'd have a better understand of the situation, culture and their society.

The African Union does not have enough power or influence to create peace. They would end up having to ask the UN for help.

ManchesterFolk
08-22-2006, 02:11 AM
It is crazy how no one here cares about a Genocide in darfur yet there are 18 pages of tears when 30 die in Lebanon. The Hypocracy of it all! Its pathetic! Do you know how many die in Darfur each day!?! if Israel had a hand in this there would be so much talk... but look who the mass murderers are???? So everyone here is silent.

The silence on darfur here speaks loudly to me. I'm saddened and angred over this.

Vishnu
08-22-2006, 03:54 PM
It is crazy how no one here cares about a Genocide in darfur yet there are 18 pages of tears when 30 die in Lebanon. The Hypocracy of it all! Its pathetic! Do you know how many die in Darfur each day!?! if Israel had a hand in this there would be so much talk... but look who the mass murderers are???? So everyone here is silent.

The silence on darfur here speaks loudly to me. I'm saddened and angred over this.
Silence can be deafening.

ManchesterFolk
08-25-2006, 03:47 AM
Still waiting for people to care....

100 of times more deaths here than in Lebanon, but since it doesn't fit in to your political agenda against israel, you have no care for the innocents deaths.

Woodrow
08-25-2006, 05:54 AM

100 of times more deaths here than in Lebanon, but since it doesn't fit in to your political agenda against israel, you have no care for the innocents deaths.
Sadly we can not force anybody to accept help.

Suppose out right war broke out between Ireland and England. Would it be right for Iran to send troops into Ireland to help them Secure peace from England. Oh wait maybe Poland could send in troops to London to Help England squash Ireland. Better yet why not the UN send in Russian and USA troops to squash both.

Nobody likes it lives are being lost needlessly, but the problem is Who is to send in troops and who should they send them in to assist. Military intervention from an outside force would most likely result in genocide of both factions.

Tayyib musawwir
08-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Salammu Alaikum Eourpen Ma Brotha My Name Is Tayyib Im African American 24 Years old Bornin Detroit Michgan Livin Minneapolis Your Right It Is Creazy How Nobody one Cares Bout Genocide Starvation In Africa All The News Talks About Is Middie East Never Sudan Niger Chat Kenya Ethiopia Counrtrys Like Da Where Isuses Are More InporTen To Deal Know What Im Sayin Man And You Know It's Racistm Reason African Muslims Have Been Helps

therebbe
08-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Sadly we can not force anybody to accept help.

Suppose out right war broke out between Ireland and England. Would it be right for Iran to send troops into Ireland to help them Secure peace from England. Oh wait maybe Poland could send in troops to London to Help England squash Ireland. Better yet why not the UN send in Russian and USA troops to squash both.

Nobody likes it lives are being lost needlessly, but the problem is Who is to send in troops and who should they send them in to assist. Military intervention from an outside force would most likely result in genocide of both factions.

Woodrow, that is not an excuse to let a genocide continue. :-\

Good point.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.