/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Guidance on Hijaab

DigitalStorm82
08-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Ok, here is my problem... NO ONE in my family wears hijaab... and that includes extended family... right now you're probably saying... he's desi... well you're right... Im originally from pakistan.

But anyway... my sister and cuz's go on a walk outside every night almost and none of them wear any hijaab... and it's begining to make me VERY ANGRY.

How do you guys deal with this? Im sure, someone out there has dealt with the same situation...

I know there is no compulsion in the religon of Islam, and I can't force them to wear it but its driving me nuts! I tell him, I've showed them from the Quran... but they don't listen...

The weirdest thing is that they make their salaah... well, usually.

The point is.. what should I do? should I not care cause its making me angry. Especially when people walking by are saying things like "hey sexy" it makes me more angry at the sisters and cousins than those guys.. Because Allah has commanded the women to cover up but they refuse to do it.. Should I not get angry? what should I do?

oh on the side note... this is for the sisters... my sister says "I get lazy after the break of 10 days a month" aka period. Thats why she stops praying... and when she does pray... she waits till isha prayer to make them all up.. I've told her countless times... but its useless... showing from Quran doesn't help either...

Perhaps some of the sisters here have some advice for my sister? something that will get her motivated or something... and she wont stop listening to music either... sounds like a typical desi family huh?

Well anyways.. I know I shouldn't be getting angry... but every time I see them walking around without hijaab or some sort of covering it eats away at me.. cause its my own family members... I can't even guide them... I know.. Allah is the one to Guide... but its so frustrating sometimes..

Thanks in advance..

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
08-19-2006, 03:51 AM
:sl:

i dont think im experienced enough to be able to give you specific advice, but it seems that the problem is that they dont even crae about their religion, so perhaps you should somehow make them realise how important their reilgion is, to strike fear in to their hearts, so that this way they will realise themselves that what they are doing is wrong and they will actually want to change...

like, i dont think theres much point for you to focus on specific things that they are doing that are wrong, when they dont even take the religion seriously in the first place...

thats just my opinion anyway, i hope that helps. all the best, may allah swt help you through this.

DigitalStorm82
08-19-2006, 03:59 AM
Their response is... I know my religion, and I know not to do stupid acts like some of other people, and I know I will die one day, and I know I will have to answer to Allah... etc..

I think they feel as if they are going to be forgiven for everything by doing nothing... how do I get rid of the misconception?

Umu 'Isa
08-19-2006, 04:18 AM
A person won't change unless they want to. So I think it would be a good idea for her to gain knowledge in the deen. I recommened you get her the book called, 'The Ideal Muslimah' by Muhammad Ali Al-Hashimi. It is a very beautiful book, and explains the importance of hijaab and salaat, and everything else in a beautiful way.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DigitalStorm82
08-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Jazakallah Khair...

I placed an order for it... I hope it's worth it.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

bint_muhammed
08-19-2006, 10:51 AM
inshallh it is, i've read a similar book to that and its quite beneficial. my brothers used to get really mad, the way i used to dress which compared to most wasnt that bad, but after i understood Islam and the women right i mishallah wear the hijab along with the jabba! also living in the west does make it difficult for people to wear the hijab, just be supportive and try not to get mad, it annoys sisters more, trust me! anywayz all the best!

anonymous
08-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Brother quite honestly I know many girls that don't practice the hijab, they fail to realise the true esence and beauty of it, but the department in which they most lack is about yawwmul-Qiyaama and how they will be accounted for it. Tell them to read the book that the sister provided the name for but also pick a copy of Signs of Day of Judgment and have them to analyse it carefully, they dress to impress and follow the imitations of the kufaar whom say go flaunt all you have but astaghfirullah what will they say to Allah on the Day of Ressurection? ask them this, ask them what will they do? who will be the winners?
they like the atention? are they the muslimahs that would be making Muhammed (peace be upon him) proud? these people are the next generation and its very saddening.
their neglect is going to hurt them the most, they can go on living in this dunya seeking wordly plesures and walking around lke they God's-gifts but subhanAllah the after efect on them will be far worse.
I would tell them to repent and ask the forgivness of Allah (swt) as they dont know when the next moment will be and they dont know if they will die the death of a true muslimah or the death of ignorance.
May Allah (swt) guide us to the truth Ameen
:w:

- Qatada -
08-19-2006, 01:39 PM
:salamext:

Learning about islam is what makes a person get attracted to it, or atleast it rids them of their ignorance.

So you might want to download some lectures which might benefit you and your family insha'Allaah:

http://www.streetdawah.com/anwaralawlaki.html

http://www.sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

Browse through the sites and look around, you'll find something beneficial insha'Allaah. :)

In the streetdawah site, theres a lecture called the Mothers of the Believers too, which may benefit your sisters insha'Allaahu ta'aala.

Also remember this:

Du'a and Its Relationship With Destiny*
http://www.khutbah.com/index.php?typ...198&language=8

Read through that and you'll understand how dua' (supplication) can change your and your sisters destinies insha'Allaah.

http://makedua.com/

Also read:

His wife does not want to wear hijaab and he fears for his young daughter
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...eng&txt=hijaab

Why is hijaab so important when it is not one of the pillars of Islam?

Difficulties encountered by a woman who wears hijaab

His wife does not accept advice. What is the solution?

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:wasalamex

learningislam
08-19-2006, 03:09 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
and she wont stop listening to music either...

The problems u have mentioned are faced by many muslims. I used to get quite angry at times , when i see my family not practising. But then , i wanted a solution to it , and my frustration would not help them. So i talked to a friend of mine, abt it. Let me advise you the same which she told me.

first of all, You have to stay "calm and cool". If you want to help your family memberz, remember, you have to control your anger first. For Dawah (even to family memberz) requires a lot of patience and forgiveness.
Let me tell you my experience, my bros and sisters listen to music too, and believe me it hurts me. In the beginning i use to be quite harsh with them, like "Don't you know, music is haraam...........i even showed you the
hadith...........etc" . And they would be like " You have told us once, now ur responsibility is over"......and that would make me real sad and depressed.

And .......sometimes when i would lose my temper or shout, i would hear......"doin dawah to others is easy but practising itself is difficult.Those who are real daii, have to be practising too.........and they dont talk like you "

So well, i decided to help my family (ofcourse i know they dont think they need it). Now, when they are listening to music, what i do is that i tell them nicely.......that good muslims dont listen to music. We muslims dont need the support of music for relaxation.Listening to music makes us away from Allah, and we dont want that. These are the instruments of Shaytaan.........and saying "Aoodho billahe minashaitan nir rajeem".............etc" . You can buy them nasheeds....

I dont put it all in one go............nobody likes being advised all the time. They say, "its difficult to live without music"........so they want practical examples of those who dont listen to music. ( You dont listen to music ........rite! so you can help your family .......in this regard . People dont get "stimulated to practice islam" if you tell them the do's and dont's of it. The best Thing.........is "Your practice" that will stimulate them inshaAllah and the way you bring them and introduce them to the beauty of Islam.
I read somewhere......
"PEOPLE DONT BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAY, BUT THEY DO BELIEVE WHAT YOU DO.
Allah Almighty says in the Quran........

"Hold to forgiveness; command what is right; But turn away from the ignorant." verse 199 surah al-airaaf

^^^ this is how dawah is to be done.

Instead of being frustrated, just think this way, "Let me try to help them out and to bring them closer to islam inshaAllah. let me do it in the best possible way bi idhnillah." .........Guidance (Hidayaah ) comes from Allah alone........so remember we cant pour hidayah in somebody. Just pray to Allah to help you.

NO ONE in my family wears hijaab... and that includes extended family... right now you're probably saying... he's desi... well you're right... Im originally from pakistan.

But anyway... my sister and cuz's go on a walk outside every night almost and none of them wear any hijaab... and it's begining to make me VERY ANGRY.
^^^ as you say , you have told them, that Allah Almighty has ordered the muslim woman to cover. But still they are not wearing hijab.
So that means that you need to tell them.........why Allah Almighty has made hijab compulsory.The benefits of wearing hijab.........and the ills of not wearing.( You may also ask your sisters, as to why they dont want to wear hijab, so that you may help them respectively. Many girls think they wont be looking good wearing hijab ,or they might be called an orthodox......../fundamentalist...........so do talk to them about it)
Have a look at this ........article

The Virtues of Hijab

1.An act of obedience.

The hijab is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (pbuh), Allah says in the Qur'an: `It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, has indeed strayed in a plain error.' (S33:36).

Allah also said: 'And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinna.'(S24:31).

Juyubihinna: The respected scholars from As-Salaf As-Saleh (righteous predecessors) differed whether the veil cover of the body must include the hands and face or not. Today, respected scholars say that the hands and face must be covered. Other respected scholars say it is preferable for women to cover their whole bodies.

2.The Hijab is IFFAH (Modesty).

Allah (subhana wa'atala) made the adherence to the hijab a manifestation for chastity and modesty. Allah says: 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most convenient that they should be known and not molested.' (S33:59). In the above Ayaah there is an evidence that the recognition of the apparent beauty of the woman is harmful to her. When the cause of attraction ends, the restriction is removed. This is illustrated in the case of elderly women who may have lost every aspect of attraction. Allah (swt) made it permissible for them to lay aside their outer garments and expose their faces and hands reminding, however, that is still better for them to keep their modesty.

3.The hijab is Tahara (Purity)

Allah (swt) had shown us the hikma (wisdom) behind the legislation of the hijab: `And when you ask them (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and their hearts.' (S33:53).

The hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing men and women because it screens against the desire of the heart. Without the hijab, the heart may or may not desire. That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked (by hijab) and thus the prevention of fitna (evil actions is very much manifested. The hijab cuts off the ill thoughts and the greed of the sick hearts:

`Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy or evil desire for adultery, etc) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.' (S33:32)

4.The hijab is a Shield

The prophet (pbuh) said: "Allah, Most High, is Heaven, is Ha'yeii (Bashful), Sit'teer (Shielder). He loves Haya' (Bashfulness) and Sitr (Shielding; Covering)." The Prophet (pbuh) also said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's house (to show off for unlawful purposes), has broken Allah's shield upon her. "The hadith demonstrates that depending upon the kind of action committed there will be either reward (if good) or punishment (if bad).

5. The hijab is Taqwah (Righteousness)

Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an: `O children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better.'(S7:26). The widespread forms of dresses in the world today are mostly for show off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the woman's body. To the believing women, however the purpose is to safeguard their bodies and cover their private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah. It is an act of Taqwah (righteousness).

6.The hijab is Eemaan (Belief or Faith)

Allah (swt) did not address His words about the hijab except to the believing women, Al-Mo'minat. In many cases in the Qur'an Allah refers to the "the believing women". Aisha (RA), the wife of the prophet (pbuh), addressed some women from the tribe of Banu Tameem who came to visit her and had light clothes on them, they were improperly dressed: "If indeed you are believing women, then truly this is not the dress of the believing women, and if you are not believing women, then enjoy it."

7. The hijab is Haya' (Bashfulness)

There are two authentic hadith which state: "Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is haya'" AND "Bashfulness is from belief, and belief is in Al-Jannah (paradise)". The hijab fits the natural bashfulness which is a part of the nature of women.

8.The hijab is Gheerah

The hijab fits the natural feeling of Gheerah, which is intrinsic in the straight man who does not like people to look at his wife or daughters. Gheerah is a driving emotion that drives the straight man to safeguard women who are related to him from strangers. The straight MUSLIM man has Gheerah for ALL MUSLIM women In response to lust and desire, men look (with desire) at other women while they do not mind that other men do the same to their wives or daughters. The mixing of sexes and absence of hijab destroys the Gheera in men. Islam considers Gheerah an integral part of faith. The dignity of the wife or daughter or any other Muslim woman must be highly respected and defended.

Apart from that .......
i read a very beautiful article

HIDDEN PEARLS
http://www.alhudapk.com/reading-mate...rls/hidden.asp

WHY SHOULD I WEAR HIJAB
http://www.muhajabah.com/whyhijab.htm

TIPS FOR BEGINNING TO WEAR HIJAB
http://www.muhajabah.com/hjbscared.htm

MUSIC- THE INSTRUMENTS OF SHAITAN
http://www.irf.net/irf/dtp/dawah_tech/ques45.htm

well, what i understand is that, "Back to The Quran" , can solve all the problems you have mentioned. How about teacing your sisters the Quran,with translation and explanation ( tafseer)....? or they might study at a Quran institute...?

may Allah Almighty help you.....and guide you and your family and the whole muslim ummah to the straight path .Ameen

Quruxbadaan
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Ok, here is my problem... NO ONE in my family wears hijaab... and that includes extended family... right now you're probably saying... he's desi... well you're right... Im originally from pakistan.

How do you guys deal with this? Im sure, someone out there has dealt with the same situation...

I know there is no compulsion in the religon of Islam, and I can't force them to wear it but its driving me nuts! I tell him, I've showed them from the Quran... but they don't listen...

The point is.. what should I do? should I not care cause its making me angry. Especially when people walking by are saying things like "hey sexy" it makes me more angry at the sisters and cousins than those guys.. Because Allah has commanded the women to cover up but they refuse to do it.. Should I not get angry? what should I do?

oh on the side note... this is for the sisters... my sister says "I get lazy after the break of 10 days a month" aka period. Thats why she stops praying... and when she does pray... she waits till isha prayer to make them all up.. I've told her countless times... but its useless... showing from Quran doesn't help either...

Perhaps some of the sisters here have some advice for my sister? something that will get her motivated or something... and she wont stop listening to music either... sounds like a typical desi family huh?

Well anyways.. I know I shouldn't be getting angry... but every time I see them walking around without hijaab or some sort of covering it eats away at me.. cause its my own family members... I can't even guide them... I know.. Allah is the one to Guide... but its so frustrating sometimes..

Thanks in advance..

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Asalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah hamid,

heres what i think will help

its true after not praying for a while shaitaan whispers to you and you begin to feel lazy (Especially waking up in the morning)
heres what has helped me out tremendously
1) during that time i remind myself of prayer for example during prayer times i make a small dua or I just take a minute to reflect on my life and what things i could change to better myself
2) after that time has ended and im ready to pray again i force myself for the first few days not to delay my salaaat meaning the minute i hear athaan i hopp to it and make wudu
after a few weeks prayer should become second nature

ohh and tell your sister that if she makes dua to Allah that he make prayer easy for her and that he make her love to pray and that he make her prayer part of her life things will work out insha allah ta ala
and he is the one worthy of glorification and he is the best of planners whose will must come to pass

so ask of him and you'll be aright

May He most merciful grant us all his mercy and his forgivness Ameen

Maa salaama

DigitalStorm82
08-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Jazakallah Khair everyone for all the advice and useful links...

I'll let you guys know if it worked...

May Allah keep you and your families on Haqq. Inshallah.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Hijaabi22
08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Thanks in advance..

W'salaamz,
Hamid
hmmmmmm leave her be, if u pressurise her youll jus put her off even more trust me am talkin 4rm experience,

strider
08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Assalamu alaikum

format_quote Originally Posted by ~pInK cHiCk~
hmmmmmm leave her be, if u pressurise her youll jus put her off even more trust me am talkin 4rm experience,
Don't pressurise but do advise. :)

gladTidings
08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Assalamualikum,

I am facing a similar situation at the moment...with my sisters. The difficult bit is the fact that they think i'm being intrusive and give me comments such as 'It has nothing to do with you' and 'Its none of your business, its my life' . They are both very much aware that they're are involved in haram things, but that doesnt stop them.

Sometimes I feel as though maybe i am being intrusive and should back off. They also say that by pointing out the things they are doing wrong I am making myself look better. They think i have alot of pride, but only Allah knows my intentions. Ive given up with them now and have very little in common with them. It got to a point where i was ignored by my older sister, so now i only talk to her when i need to.

I wish I could go back and change things so that i hadnt dealt with the situation how i did and so today i would still be talking with my sister. Everyone has given some very good advice, which you should use if you want them to listen to you. And remember anger will not have any effect on them, only negative effect on yourself.

I hope your situation improves inshAllah.

walaikum asalaam

- Qatada -
08-20-2006, 08:56 PM

subhan Allaah.. we all have our forms of trials, so don't give up on giving this da'wah insha'Allaahu ta'aala.

Also remember this verse:

And by the Mercy of Allah, you dealt with them gently. And had you been severe and harsh­hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so pass over (their faults), and ask (Allah's) Forgiveness for them; and consult them in the affairs. Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah, certainly, Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him).

If Allah helps you, none can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, who is there after Him that can help you? And in Allah (Alone) let believers put their trust.

(Surah Aal Imraan [3]: 159-160)

DigitalStorm82
08-21-2006, 05:14 AM
asalaamu alaikum

Jazakallah khair...

Yeah, I agree, if anyone deals with others in harsh manner... of course they will turn away from them... so I guess I have to try the nice path... and stay on it...

oh n sis cherry... I hope you haven't completely stoped talking with your sisters..

May allah restore your bond with your sisters. Ameen

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Safa
08-21-2006, 06:11 AM

You should be patient. Take it one day at a time. Losing your temper will not help. I've been there, done that. From what I read however, seems like you are taking a different approach. That's good but just don't give up inshaAllah. I haven't read all the comments above, so forgive me if I repeat anything.

The problem with my sister was that she'd listen to music as well. I stopped yelling at her and decided to take a different approach. I started talking to her about other things that she needs to focus on, like religion, school etc. I tell her things I learned about religion even, get her interested in a topic somehow. I introduced nasheeds to her as well, but she never bothered listening to them. So I'd actually listen to the lyrics of the songs she'd listen to and talk to her about them and ask her things like what's the point of listening to songs about boyfriends, girls, drugs, cursing when it doesn't apply to you???....The questions I ask depends on the type of song. And she'd actually go quiet because she had no answer. But that didn't stop her from listening to her music.

Once I caught her listening to a song, that said something about how love is better than god or something. And I confronted her. I don't think she was paying much attention to the words though, but after I told her she did realize that the lyrics didn't make sense and stopped listening to that particular song.

Months passed. The other day, she came to me and asked me to find some nasheeds for her, and told me she deleted most of her music. I was like... :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

So it's just a matter of time really, you can't force your sisters to wear hijab and give up music in one day, they'd have to do it on their own. It takes time, especially if they're addicted to it. All you can do is be a good example and introduce them to islam so that they're exposed to it and hopefully be mature enough to make the right decision.

Fatimab
08-21-2006, 06:26 AM
I reckon the best thing to do is make heaps of Duaa for them.

Dawud_uk
08-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Thanks in advance..

W'salaamz,
Hamid

assalaamu alaykum,

if you are pakistani then you follow the hanafi madhab right?

i dont know re the other madhab's but did you know that in the hanafi madhab it is allowable to forcibly confine someone to the house when they are publically sinning such as this?

even a man who doesnt keep the beard can be punished in the hanafi madhab as happened under taliban rule quite rightly.

this is an extreme last step however to force them but why not first point out them that they are ordered to keep the hijab, point out the evidences for this,

and if anyone said anything like that to my wife or sister they best have a good pair of running shoes on...

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

syilla
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM

at least...they are doin it openly...so you can advise them easily.

my cousin...is taking off when they are no relatives around. She doin it as if no one knows about it.

I tried to tell her in a hint...but she still do it. She is quite stubborn...and all her friends are the same as her... u know 'the same birds flock together'.

She loves wearing makeup...and being trendy. But one thing good about her that...she never neglected her studies. Maybe it would worsen her attitude :rollseyes:... i mean just imagine when how she would be when she is working and has the money to buy all the make ups and sexy apparel.

The only i can do is to give good example, a little bit of advice..and dua.

muslimah_here
08-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Brother this is th story of most pakistani families I have simliar problems with my family, its so difficult to make our parents understand the importance of deen as tehy have been brought up to give more importance to culture espcially when it comes to hijaab, most pakistani parents freak out, oh GOD, HOW would u get married, what would our relatives say, im trying really hard to wear hijaab right now I wear outside but non of my relatives no about it yet, its sooooooooo difficult to make them realise that we should fear ALLAH rather what our uncles and aunties would think. Iv been avoidng going to my realtives as i feel guilty not wear hijaab infront of my cousins as my parents ay that cosuins are like borthers and so on dont be too rigid, oterwsie life would become difficult for you,

INSHALLAh we all need to keep making an effort and slowly we can change our families,as ALLAh says in the Quraan to save urself and ur family from the hellfire, my dad didnt pray much before but ALLHUMDOLILAH he does now, though there are still certain aspects i dont like even giving up indian bollywood filsm was difficult as all my relatives were addicted to it but ALLHUMDOLILAH iv stoped watchin the filth since last ramadhan and feel much at peace in my mind before all the time I had the filmi songs roaming in my head.

I think being of apkistani origin I really get annoyed with may cultural aspects of pakistan taken from hindu culture, like mehndi in weddings giving ample gifts to the husband's family but i said to my mum nothing as such would INSHALLAH happen for my wedding and INSHALLAHit would be a simple wedding with the minmal wastage of money, though im sure my parents would try their best to convince me, change takes time, at least in my heat I know Im tyring this is form of jihaad as well. At th end of the day we are not responsible for the deeds of any one but our own, we can only try and pray to ALLAh to guide them and give us strenght. Its diffcul but not impossible, I have noticed some change in my family MASHALLAh but remember we were like them once as well if its taken us so long to become practsing muslims then we must give them time as well, and the dua is best weapon of a believer. :)

ALLAHAFIZ.

DigitalStorm82
08-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Jazakallah Khair for everyones input...

I just hope my family gets religious...

But you're right... all desi people are like that... well most of them anyway..

Just a matter of time I guess... Just pray for them I guess...

W'salaaz,
Hamid

manaal
08-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Are sure she said 10 days? not 6 or 7? The average no. of days for it is 6 to 7 days. If its more than that she should see a doctor.

When that time of the month comes, it seens like to releif to some women... we kind of rejoice in the fact that we don;t have to wake up for Fajr for 1 whole week. But if we eagerly awaits the end of it so that we can start praying again and get close to Allah, it will be very easy.

Is your sis still schooling? After the school holidays is over one feels very lazy to go back to school. But on the hander they will be excited because they;re going to meet their friends whom they have not seen for so long......

So if she remembers Allah more often, she might actualy want to rush back to praying so she can talk to Allah once again.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.