/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Sci-Fi TV Show that portrays the Middle East!!

Dahir
08-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Babylon Five Summary

In Babylon 5, there were the Narns and the Centauri. The Narns were a highly aggressive race of lizard-like creatures, extremely warlike, while the Centauri were more fun-loving and personable. At face value, many viewers held the Centauri in great affection, and the Narns in dislike, solely by face-value judgment.

Then, later into the series, it's learned that the Narns were enslaved by the Centauri for a long time and, upon liberating themselves, vowed never to be under anyone's bootheel again, to fight for their safety until the last breath of the last member of their race was expended.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
08-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Never watched the show, so I can't comment on the comparison.

KAding
08-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Ooh, I've watched every episode of that show when I was younger. Good stuff. I never saw the parallel with the Middle East myself. I still don't see it. Are the Narn the Kurds and the Centaur the Turks? ;)

Dahir
08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Ooh, I've watched every episode of that show when I was younger. Good stuff. I never saw the parallel with the Middle East myself. I still don't see it. Are the Narn the Kurds and the Centaur the Turks? ;)
May be. Now that I think about it, that situation plays out in many different corners of the world.

At first, it was aimed at the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, but it can also be geared towards other groups.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
08-20-2006, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
I never saw the parallel with the Middle East myself. I still don't see it.
Likewise. Who are the Earth Alliance and the Minbari supposed to be? And the Shadows?! Don't tell me - the US? :heated:

Najiullah
08-20-2006, 03:44 AM
bro never watched the show

but will now :)

Dahir
08-20-2006, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Likewise. Who are the Earth Alliance and the Minbari supposed to be? And the Shadows?! Don't tell me - the US? :heated:
I tend to analyze my favorite tribes. :D

Muezzin
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Heh, cool. I've never watched the show, but I like the work of its creator, J. Michael Straczynki, in the Spider-Man comics. The guy can write a good, deep story combined with some great humour.

Fishman
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
Babylon Five Summary

In Babylon 5, there were the Narns and the Centauri. The Narns were a highly aggressive race of lizard-like creatures, extremely warlike, while the Centauri were more fun-loving and personable. At face value, many viewers held the Centauri in great affection, and the Narns in dislike, solely by face-value judgment.

Then, later into the series, it's learned that the Narns were enslaved by the Centauri for a long time and, upon liberating themselves, vowed never to be under anyone's bootheel again, to fight for their safety until the last breath of the last member of their race was expended.
:sl:
Babylon Five is cool! I used to watch it!

'The year is 2262, the name of the place is BABYLON FIVE!'
:w:

Dahir
08-20-2006, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Babylon Five is cool! I used to watch it!

'The year is 2262, the name of the place is BABYLON FIVE!'
I see this has turned from a political forum to a Sci-Fi convention.

north_malaysian
08-21-2006, 02:03 AM
It's on Malaysian tv..... but I dont watch it.... :giggling: So I have no idea!!!

syilla
08-21-2006, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
It's on Malaysian tv..... but I dont watch it.... :giggling: So I have no idea!!!
we have so many of it...like the jejak rasul and muslims scientist...

and alot more...but i'm not usually infront of tv...so i always missed a good program...and get stuck with 'unnecessary' program.

Dahir
08-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Am-AZING!! You turned my thread into a Sci-Fi convention; take off your alien suits and put down your autographed posters, this is WORLD frickin' AFFAIRS!!

:D

Seriously, its offensive and cruel to destroy one's thread. :offended:

Fishman
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I did notice the references to the Israeli/Palestinian problem in Babylon Five. What's more, is most of the Narns are very religious, in fact the name of the only known Narn holy Book (the G'Quan, pronounced 'Jaquarn') sounds slightly like 'Quran'. And new copies of the G'Quan must be identical to the others, just like the Quran.

The Centari are more secular, like an alien British empire. And they have funny haircuts, like sideways mohiqueans.

Dahir
08-21-2006, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I did notice the references to the Israeli/Palestinian problem in Babylon Five. What's more, is most of the Narns are very religious, in fact the name of the only known Narn holy Book (the G'Quan, pronounced 'Jaquarn') sounds slightly like 'Quran'. And new copies of the G'Quan must be identical to the others, just like the Quran.

The Centari are more secular, like an alien British empire. And they have funny haircuts, like sideways mohiqueans.
:rollseyes Aye! Its deeper than haircuts, but then again, even I didn't know about the "G'Quan."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.