/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it haraam or disliked in the deen?

anonymous
08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Salaams,

I have a question I need you ppl to answer inshaAllah:

In Martial Arts when you have to clasp your hands together & Bow down to your opponent is that allowed!??
I have doubts in doing it, because it's like a mini Rukuu' right...:?

What do you guys think?

& have you heard of scholars mentioning it's unpermissability?

Jazaaks in advance!!

wassalaams

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
08-21-2006, 12:38 PM
oh i rememba...wen i used to go to dis indian skul in kuwait on prize givin days we had to do dat wen we recieved de prices...but since we kno dat we r not to bow our heads to ne1 but Allah it only makes sense dat it is not allowed ryt...cuz ma fred once tol me dat dnt bow ur head jus bend ur knees or summink lyk dat...

:w:

lolwatever
08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
salamz bro/sis

yeh u cant do that... we're not even suppose 2 stadn up for people "out of respect". ... also when the prophet sent messengers to the kings they asked the envoys to bow down and they replied "we only bow down to Allah"...

so i think u should just remain standing up during that part... lol trust me it's not as embaressing as it may first seem... i done it and every1 was looking at me n i just explained simply 2 the instructor why i coudln't do it... and he was like 'oh ok' he didnt knwo what to say lol.. but he just said 'yeh sure no prob'

salamz

Mujahidah4Allah
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
:sl:

i dont think you should bow, as we bow to non other than Allah [swt]

ma'salamah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Salaams,

thanks for responding so quickly!! :)

so i think u should just remain standing up during that part... lol trust me it's not as embaressing as it may first seem... i done it and every1 was looking at me n i just explained simply 2 the instructor why i coudln't do it... and he was like 'oh ok' he didnt knwo what to say lol.. but he just said 'yeh sure no prob'
Oh Boy!!...lool..this is something we have to do every lesson sometimes more than once..I could get pass not doing it with the other members...but sometimes I try to sneak away from it from my Instructor.. .. he's like "hey" you forgot * & bows* ..i'm like oh yeah!! "bows" :rollseyes .....*sighs*

This is going to be hard...how about in Contest!! :?:? :X Do I remain standing stick straight infront of hundreds of ppl.... Oh god that is humiliating....

but then again...Allah comes first!! :)

lolwatever
08-21-2006, 12:53 PM
nah man trust me people will look at u and think 'woa', it's got such a powerful impact on everyone when you make a statement of faith like that... people think 'there's something really intriguging about this person'.

i swear they don't look at it negatively, they might laugh, but i know for fact it will occur 2 them like a crashing wave that there's something amazing about that behaviour..

especially if you do it politely. hav a chat 2 ur instructor n tell him y u use 2 avoid it.. and he'll definately say yes (legally he cant do nething about it either lol)

salamz

The Ruler
08-21-2006, 12:53 PM
how bout a biiiiiigggg smile n tellin em dat u cant bow :? :?

oh ryt i 4got to mention wt de biiig smile idea was bout...

so dat dey dnt assume summink totally out o da league....gemme???

- Qatada -
08-21-2006, 12:58 PM
:wasalamex

Remember this aayat:

And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out,

And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is (Allah) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion.

(Qur'an Surah Talaaq [65]: 2-3)

Remember that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

‘There is no obedience for the creation by disobeying the Creator.’

It's a fact that if you show that you're not going to give up on your belief, and you're going to stay firm in that decision - then the people will respect you for that. Alnd the status of your belief will be elevated too insha'Allaah, so stick to that.

Remember that if you give up something to please Allaah Almighty, Allaah will replace you with something better.

Allaah Almighty says:

Then do ye remember Me; I will remember you. Be grateful to Me, and reject not Faith. (2:152)

Allaah Almighty also says:

On no soul do We place a burden greater than it can bear: before Us is a record which clearly shows the truth: they will never be wronged. (23:62)

So stay patient in staying firm in your faith, and realise that no matter what happens - Allaah Almighty won't burden you with something that you can't bear insha'Allaah.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

" Wondrous are the believer's affairs. For him there is good in all his affairs, and this is so only for the believer. When something pleasing happens to him, he is grateful, and that is good for him; and when something displeasing happens to him, he is enduring/patient (sabar), and that is good for him " (sahih Muslim)

If you remember Allaah through easy times, Allaah will remember you through hard times. So keep remembering and praising Allaah:

[by reciting subhan Allaah (glory be to Allaah) , Alhamdulillah (all praise is to Allaah) , Laa illaaha illAllaah (there is none worthy of worship except Allaah) , Allaahu akbar (Allaah is the greatest)]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said that Allaah Almighty said: “I am with the thinking of the slave when he thinks of Me and I am with him when he remembers Me.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

Allaah Almighty knows best.

:salamext:

anonymous
08-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Salaams

nah man trust me people will look at u and think 'woa', it's got such a powerful impact on everyone when you make a statement of faith like that... people think 'there's something really intriguging about this person'.
True say Akhee!!

swear they don't look at it negatively, they might laugh, but i know for fact it will occur 2 them like a crashing wave that there's something amazing about that behaviour..
LOL!!... I'm laughing at myself already man.. :hiding: ;D ;D

especially if you do it politely. hav a chat 2 ur instructor n tell him y u use 2 avoid it.. and he'll definately say yes (legally he cant do nething about it either lol)
Inshallah, looks like that's what i'm gonna have to do...

how bout a biiiiiigggg smile n tellin em dat u cant bow
Don't worry i'll be really hysteric about it!! ;D ;D

I wonder if there's any punishment to that though!!.....semi-bowing down to one other than Allah?
could it come under shirk?? :offended:

anonymous
08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Salaams,

JazakAllahu khayr Bro for the advice, what your saying is really true....

But do you think it's a form of Rukuu aswell???..maybe someone can come with the definition of the rukuu or something and we'll see if it (the semi-bow martial arts thing) comes under it...??

cause some ppl say it's not like your rukuu'ing your not even half way there?
sorry to trouble Y'all

jazaaks to everyone this has been on my mind for A LOOOOG time!!!

Vaseline
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
with the ruk'uu, it's like a 90 degree bend, with your hand on your knees.

With martial arts, it's only like a 20 degree bend with one hand in a fist while the other covers it, or in TKD, just with your arms hanging down by your side.

Personally, I don't see it as shirk and as a problem as "worshipping" the person in front of you because you're carrying out a 'technique' you could say.

Also, the term 'bow down' usually means when you're doing Sajdah, not ruk'uu [I'm pretty sure on this so if I am incorrect, I apologise] so what you're doing in martial arts is not really 'bowing down' [ie sajdah]

- Qatada -
08-21-2006, 01:37 PM
What is the ruling on playing karate

Question:

What is the ruling on playing karate?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Karate is one of the martial arts, a form of self-defence using one’s hands, without any kind of weapon. It allows hitting with the foot, fist or edge of the hand, focusing on concentrating all one's energy in that blow.

The shar’i viewpoint of this sport:

The sport includes numerous physical, psychological and mental benefits, and it is in accordance with sharee’ah in some ways, and goes against it in others. Among the ways in which it is in accordance with Islam are:

The concealing garments which cover all the ‘awrah completely. The rules of this sport require wearing covering garments composed of a shirt of thick white cotton, and trousers made of the same material, which have to be wide to allow movement of the legs and feet.

Combatants are forbidden to direct blows that will cause harm to their opponents. The rules of the game dictate that attacks must be restrained, and must not cause harm to one's opponent, unlike the rules of boxing, for example.

But on the other hand this sport is not free of things that go against sharee’ah, such as allowing blows to the face.

In addition, it includes some religious rituals that are derived from local Indian religions, such as the exchange of greetings between the combatants, which take the form of bows that are similar to rukoo’ (the Muslim does not bow to anyone except Allaah), and the exercises such as keeping silent and focusing or meditating, which are derived from the religious rituals of Buddhism, etc. All of these are totally rejected by Islam.

But it is not forbidden to practise this sport once these issues have been eliminated. It is possible to eliminate them on an unofficial level, even if it is not possible to do so on an official and international level. It is not essential to learn these skills at the level of championships and clubs which adhere to these matters and view them as an essential part of the sport which everyone who practises it must adhere to.

From Qadaayaa al-Lahw wa’l-Tarfeeh, p. 369

source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=bow%20martial

Allaah Almighty knows best.

amirah_87
08-21-2006, 02:23 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

SubhanAllah thank you Bro/Sis for bringing this issue forward, cause it's something that's also been on my mind & I have had doubt in doing!!...

In addition, it includes some religious rituals that are derived from local Indian religions, such as the exchange of greetings between the combatants, which take the form of bows that are similar to rukoo’ (the Muslim does not bow to anyone except Allaah), and the exercises such as keeping silent and focusing or meditating, which are derived from the religious rituals of Buddhism, etc. All of these are totally rejected by Islam.
SubhanAllah, I ask Allah for forgiveness! :offended: :offended:

Bro/Sis..I guess it is best to leave this matter InshaAllah even if you might have doubts concerning it(whether it comes under rukuu' or not).. it is always good to steer well away from doubtful matters...

after seeing the Bro's fatwa above I doubt InshaAllah you'll have any!!

just keep this hadeeth in mind InshaAllah:

Narrated Abu Abdurrahmaan An-Nu3maan Ibn Basheer Radiyallaahu 3anhu that the Prophet sallalaahu 3alayhi wasalaam said:
"That which is lawful is plain and that which is unlawful is plain and between the two of them are doubtful matters about which not many people know. Thus he who avoids doubtful matters clears himself in regard to his religion and his honor, but he who falls into doubtful matters falls into that which is unlawful, like the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary, all but grazing therein. Truly every king has a sanctuary, and truly Allah's sanctuary is His prohibitions. Truly in the body there is a morsel of flesh which, if it be whole, all the body is whole and which, if it be diseased, all of it is diseased. Truly it is the heart."
narrated by Bukhari and Muslim.

And like my brothers and sisters have said, this might be humiliating at first, but it'll most likely gain us more respect..
I ask Allah to keep us all firm upon the deen InshaAllah!!

Wa Alaykum As Salaam.

Ameeratul Layl
08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Salaams,

I have a question I need you ppl to answer inshaAllah:

In Martial Arts when you have to clasp your hands together & Bow down to your opponent is that allowed!??
I have doubts in doing it, because it's like a mini Rukuu' right...:?

What do you guys think?

& have you heard of scholars mentioning it's unpermissability?

Jazaaks in advance!!

wassalaams

:sl:

There is not ONE way to greet your opponent. There is infact, more than one.
Your NOT meant to put your head down to your opponent. There is meant to be eye contact. So, techically, there is no head-down-bowing.
The other way to do the greeting is by laping your hands the same way.
Turning your hands, via twisting the wrists towards the chest. Then, pushing the hands outwards. Finish!
Need more advise? Ask away.

anonymous
08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Salaams,

Thank you very much Bro Fi_Sab for the fatwaa, & Sister Amirah your absolutely Correct, I''l take that into account InshaAllah!!
Thanx to Bro LolWatever!!

I'l be keeping this in mind:
Remember this aayat:

And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out, And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is (Allah) for him. For Allah will surely accomplish his purpose: verily, for all things has Allah appointed a due proportion.

(Qur'an Surah Talaaq [65]: 2-3)

Jazaakumullaahu khayran for all your efforts!! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.