/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My quit date

evangel
08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
This may seem strange, a Christian asking for prayer in a Muslim forum but as I see it Noah wasn't Christian, Hebrew or Muslim (as far as titles go) and was counted as righteous by God and the Bible tells me that God hears the prayers of the righteous so thats why I'm here.
I quit smoking tomorrow and it's been something I have struggled with many times. I ask that you pray for God to give me the strength to finally do this.
Thank you all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
May Allah help you towards quitting smoking and guide you towards the truth Ameen. :)

All the prophets where a Muslim btw ;) the whole lot, and we respect Noah more than any other religion, atleast as far as what the biblical texts have to say about him :D

glo
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
This may seem strange, a Christian asking for prayer in a Muslim forum but as I see it Noah wasn't Christian, Hebrew or Muslim (as far as titles go) and was counted as righteous by God and the Bible tells me that God hears the prayers of the righteous so thats why I'm here.
I quit smoking tomorrow and it's been something I have struggled with many times. I ask that you pray for God to give me the strength to finally do this.
Thank you all.
Hi evangel

There has been some discussion here recently, whether Muslims were allowed to pray for non-believers (other than for their convertion to Islam), but the outcome was somewhat inconclusive.
I hope that people will pray for you.

I am very happy to pray for you. :)
My husband has tried to quit in the past - and I know how tough it can be at times!
May God give you the strength and perseverence to give up smoking for good (... and grant those around you the patience and ability to support you! :rollseyes )

Keep us posted how you are doing. :)

peace.

The Ruler
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
May Allah help you towards quitting smoking and guide you towards the truth Ameen. :)
Ameen :) :)

:peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AQSA
08-21-2006, 01:09 PM
May Allah the All-capable, Most-High make it easy for you to quit & guide you to the right path..........Ameen

QuranStudy
08-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Whoever believes that Muslims are not allowed to pray for non-Muslims needs to read a book on Quranic laws.

S_87
08-21-2006, 02:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AQSA
May Allah the All-capable, Most-High make it easy for you to quit & guide you to the right path..........Ameen
Ameen Ya Rubb!!

evangel, Allah willing it will be easy for you

glo
08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Whoever believes that Muslims are not allowed to pray for non-Muslims needs to read a book on Quranic laws.
Hi QuranStudy

Not wanting to hijack Evangel's thread, the discussion I mentioned is in this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...on-muslim.html
On second reading, most people seemed to be of the opinion that making dua for non-believers is okay!

Peace. :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I too shall pray to the Almighty that you succeed in your goal to give up this vile habit!

May Waheguru grant you Fateh (victory) in this goal!

Woodrow
08-21-2006, 05:39 PM
You are in my du'as. May the trial be easy for you and may you receive the strength to pass through this time of temptation. Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit. I admire you for your courage to make the effort.

Dahir
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
My prayers are with you too. As long as you're staying away from sin, no matter who you are, its a plus in my book. :)

evangel
08-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I want to thank all of you. The strength in your words and the caring in your hearts will make a difficult ordeal easier.
Your brother,
Ray

Dahir
08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
I want to thank all of you. The strength in your words and the caring in your hearts will make a difficult ordeal easier.
Your brother,
Ray
Good to see that you're on a cleaner path. You should post more and compare religions, you never know what you might find. :)

snakelegs
08-22-2006, 12:50 AM
yes, i'll be happy to pray for you.
i know how difficult it is because it did it 22 years ago, and i remember it very well. the first few weeks are the hardest.
i promise you that you will feel wonderful about yourself when you quit. i still regard it as one of the best things i ever did. it is so freeing.

Snowflake
08-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Of course I will pray for you inshaAllah. May Allah give you the will and strength to give up this habit and undo the damage which may have been done by it. Ameen! :)

bluesky
08-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeh, Y Not I'll Pray 4 U & Hopefully You'll Quit.
My Prayers R Wiv U.:d

snakelegs
08-25-2006, 05:46 PM
evangel,
let us know - how is it going? the first few days are the hardest.

evangel
08-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, it's day 4 and no cigs. PTL. I have also been unbelievably calm. I smoked for almost 30 years and it was probably close to twenty years ago that I first tried to quit so you can trust me when I say "unbelievably calm". I appreciate the prayers and well wishes that have gone out over me. God has answered and poured out strength abundantly. Your encouragement has been a Godsend.

Psalm 18:1,2
I love thee, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

glo
08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, it's day 4 and no cigs. PTL. I have also been unbelievably calm. I smoked for almost 30 years and it was probably close to twenty years ago that I first tried to quit so you can trust me when I say "unbelievably calm". I appreciate the prayers and well wishes that have gone out over me. God has answered and poured out strength abundantly. Your encouragement has been a Godsend.

Psalm 18:1,2
I love thee, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
That's fabulous news! :)
I was wondering how you were doing, evangel.

Praise God.

snakelegs
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
congratulations, evangel!!!
funny - i had also smoked about 30 years before i finally quit. you will see - it gets easier, the more time passes.
i regard quitting smoking as probably my greatest achievement in life - did a huge boost for the self esteem.
will keep you in my prayers. let us know from time to time how it's going.

bluesky
08-26-2006, 06:30 PM
[BANANA]CONGRATS![/BANANA] U SHOULD BE OK.
I'M SO HAPPY 4 U!

Abdul Fattah
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
I shall remember you in my dua's evangel inshallah.
I've got some expieriance with smoking. I smoked at least a pack of Gauloises a day. And two packs on a satureday. After smoking about 9 years I've managed to quit for more then one year now. I had multiple attempts that failed after a few weeks before this, but this time it seemed to have worked alhamdulillah (praise be to Allah). I think the trick is to have determination. If one quits only because he thinks it might hold some advantages, then you'll have to seek for support on dificult times. But if you quit because you want to, then you don't have to look for support. You simply don't indulge in being tempted. That's the trick with quiting any addiction. Rather then deciding you'll resist the temptation from now on, you decide not even to indulge in getting tempted. Yuo could compare it with the glass is half empty glass is half full situation. Rather then telling yourself: "oh it's so hard resisting, I don't know how much longer I can take" tell yourself: "oh it's so easy, look how long I managed already". And remind yourself of all the difrent reasons you have. that's the best advise I can give you, hope you can beat them cigarettes.

And in a few months you'll start enjoying the difrences. Your condition and lung capacaity will be the first you 'll notice. If you 'd take up a sport, you'll notice the burning in your lungs gradually disapears over weeks as you get exhausted. The difrence in taste and smell capability will take a lil' bit longer, but after 3 to 6 months you should be able to enjoy your food a lot more. It's also good to keep in mind that you are less stressed. If you suddenly get in a stressfull situation, you might be extra tempted to resort to cigarettes to calm your nerves. But don't be fooled! Know that cigarettes don't calm nerves. What happens when you smoke is that the lack of oxygen makes your head a lil' bit fuzzy, and hence you will get the impression you're more relaxed, but the truth is, nicotine increases the heart-rate, so fysiologically speaking, in teh long run you're generally more stressed out when you're a smoker. You just fool your brain into thinking it's relaxed. But after a minute or two this feeling in the brain is gone, but the increased heartbeat due to nicotine continues a lot longer. That's a good thing to keep in mind while quiting.

Oh about your initial comment about Allah hearing the prayers of the righteous. I think that was a very beautyfull thought of you to have, and it reminded me of a verse from the qur'an which I thought you might be interested in. Alow me to share it with you:

002.130 And who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase their souls with folly? Him We chose and rendered pure in this world: And he will be in the Hereafter in the ranks of the Righteous.
002.131 Behold! his Lord said to him: "Bow (thy will to Me):" He said: "I bow (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe."
002.132 And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam."
002.133 Were ye witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons: "What will ye worship after me?" They said: "We shall worship Thy god and the god of thy fathers, of Abraham, Isma'il and Isaac,- the one (True) Allah: To Him we bow (in Islam)."
002.134 That was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did, and ye of what ye do! Of their merits there is no question in your case!
002.135 They say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)." Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion of Abraham the True, and he joined not gods with Allah."
002.136 Say ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: And we bow to Allah (in Islam)."
002.137 So if they believe as ye believe, they are indeed on the right path; but if they turn back, it is they who are in schism; but Allah will suffice thee as against them, and He is the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing.
002.138 (Our religion is) the Baptism of Allah: And who can baptize better than Allah? And it is He Whom we worship.
002.139 Say: Will ye dispute with us about Allah, seeing that He is our Lord and your Lord; that we are responsible for our doings and ye for yours; and that We are sincere (in our faith) in Him?
002.140 Or do ye say that Abraham, Isma'il Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Do ye know better than Allah? Ah! who is more unjust than those who conceal the testimony they have from Allah? but Allah is not unmindful of what ye do!
002.141 That was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did, and ye of what ye do! Of their merits there is no question in your case:

Bests of luck quiting, may Allah support you and make it easy for you and place reward in it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.