/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Does Islam require you to give to charity?

therebbe
08-21-2006, 05:45 PM
In Judaism we must give a minimum of 10% of our income to Charity which is known as giving "Tzedakah"

Tzedakah means "charity" in Hebrew but comes from the root word of Justice.

Judaism is very tied to the concept of tzedakah, or charity, and the nature of Jewish giving has created a North American Jewish community that is very philanthropic. Because Judaism puts emphasis on the doing of good deeds, one's acts of righteousness are extremely important in living a sacred life. Because the second highest level of tzedakah is giving anonymously to an unknown recipient, anonymous donations are especially common in the Jewish community.

My question is basically. Does Islam require you to give charity?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
Greetings,

As you might be aware, Islam is based upon five pillars, which every Muslim is required to fulfill. The third pillar is charity, which is called 'Zakah'.

The following is a bit more information about it, from www.beconvinced.com:

The word Zakah means purification and growth. Our possessions are purified by setting aside that portion of it for those in need. Each Muslim calculates his or her own Zakah individually.

For most purposes this involves the payment each year of 2.5% of one's capital, provided that this capital reaches a certain minimum amount that which is not consumed by its owner. A generous person can pay more than this amount, though it is treated and rewarded as voluntary charity (Sadaqah). This amount of money is provided to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor, and can be used in many useful projects for the welfare of the community.

We also have the following threads on the subject:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...hat-zakah.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/ramadan-...gratitude.html

Peace.

therebbe
08-21-2006, 06:22 PM
which is called 'Zakah'.
Sounds close to "Tzedakah"... maybe I am just imagining it though. lol.

Woodrow
08-21-2006, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Very close. Many words in Arabic, Hebrew and Aramaic are either identical or very similar.. In my opinion Aramaic seems to be the closest to both, sort of a bridge between Arabic and Hebrew. The 3 languages have the same root. We all came from the Family of Abrahim so at one time we spoke one language. It would be a matter of belief as to which came first. That would be a totaly seperate subject.

Now getting back on Topic. Yes we do give Zakat.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
QuranStudy
08-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Alot of Hebrew words sound alot like their Arabic counterpart.

btw, do Jews say "Moses" or "Musa?"

therebbe
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
btw, do Jews say "Moses" or "Musa?"
Neither. We say "Moshe". American-Christian media though refers to him as "Moses"... but in the Torah he is always called "Moshe"

It would be pronounced like this:

"Mo-Sh-Eh"

جوري
08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
"Tzedakah" is also close to another Arabic word called "sadaqa" which also means charity!

therebbe
08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
"Tzedakah" is also close to another Arabic word called "sadaqa" which also means charity!
Well since I have been on this site I have seen that it is very apparent that Hebrew and Arabic were very close to eachother. I knew this before, but did not think that it was to the extent that it is.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Well since I have been on this site I have seen that it is very apparent that Hebrew and Arabic were very close to eachother. I knew this before, but did not think that it was to the extent that it is.
There's also navi and nabi :)

abdmez
08-22-2006, 02:40 AM
give a minimum of 10% of our income
10%!!! That is a lot!

جوري
08-22-2006, 02:42 AM
أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ لاَ تُبْطِلُواْ صَدَقَاتِكُم بِالْمَنِّ وَالأذَى كَالَّذِي يُنفِقُ مَالَهُ رِئَاء النَّاسِ وَلاَ يُؤْمِنُ بِاللّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ فَمَثَلُهُ كَمَثَلِ صَفْوَانٍ عَلَيْهِ تُرَابٌ فَأَصَابَهُ وَابِلٌ فَتَرَكَهُ صَلْدًا لاَّ يَقْدِرُونَ عَلَى شَيْءٍ مِّمَّا كَسَبُواْ وَاللّهُ لاَ يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْكَافِرِينَ {264}
[Yusufali 2:264] O ye who believe! cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or by injury,- like those who spend their substance to be seen of men, but believe neither in Allah nor in the Last Day. They are in parable like a hard, barren rock, on which is a little soil: on it falls heavy rain, which leaves it (Just) a bare stone. They will be able to do nothing with aught they have earned. And Allah guideth not those who reject faith.

abdmez
08-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Another thing which I see respectable in tsedukah is that they are encouraged to give to charity annonymously. So they arent doing it to be known.

syilla
08-22-2006, 02:57 AM
:sl:

but most of the ppl forgot and couldn't care less about zakah property. They tend to work and find as much money as they can, accumulate it...but they don't do the 3rd pillar.

They maybe rich...but no berkah...

:w:

Woodrow
08-22-2006, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:sl:

but most of the ppl forgot and couldn't care less about zakah property. They tend to work and find as much money as they can, accumulate it...but they don't do the 3rd pillar.

They maybe rich...but no berkah...

:w:
Sadly I have to agree. Yet, it seems the ones with the least give more and give freely.

lavikor201
08-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Rebbe, who do you give your Tzedakah to? I ususally give 5% of my income for soup kitchens, and the other 5% of my income to shelters for homeless.

north_malaysian
08-22-2006, 03:59 AM
The word Tzedakah sounds like "sadaqah" (in Arabic) or "sedekah" (in Malay) which also means charity....

"Zakah" is "alms-giving" right..... While "sadaqah" is "charity".... Even smiling to someone, it's considered as "sadaqah". :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Zulkiflim
08-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Salaam,

Ilove one saying of the Prophet.

Correct me if i am wrong..

It is you give with your right hand wihout your left hand knowing..

So you give wihout thinking and wihout other knowing,if you give by showing it to all,the purpose is to show off..

When you give out of Allah grace to you then it is all the better.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Rebbe, who do you give your Tzedakah to? I ususally give 5% of my income for soup kitchens, and the other 5% of my income to shelters for homeless.
I usually give 7%-8% to organizations trying to research for cancer, and around 2%-3% to stoping Aids in Africa.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 01:56 AM
I usually give 7%-8% to organizations trying to research for cancer, and around 2%-3% to stoping Aids in Africa.
wow jews are charitable people!!!!:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

I only donate 1.67% of my salary to WWF Malaysia..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2006, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Sadly I have to agree. Yet, it seems the ones with the least give more and give freely.
Very true..less greedy. But i know for a fact if i was rich, id never forget my duty.(i hope so lol)
I give as much as i can. When i get money on Eid or my bday.. i give it to charity. Sometimes itll jus be sittin there..im not much of a spender.

Allah-creation
08-23-2006, 02:36 AM
I remember my uncle, lol. He use to take a dollar and roll it around 500$ so no one can see it and then donate it. He got money but he doesnt showoff telling people. And he tells me this is the teachings of prophet Muhammed(SAW).

therebbe
08-23-2006, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
I remember my uncle, lol. He use to take a dollar and roll it around 500$ so no one can see it and then donate it. He got money but he doesnt showoff telling people. And he tells me this is the teachings of prophet Muhammed(SAW).
Thats actually an amazing thing. Judaism teaches to give the most you can, and make everyone think you are no more special then the next person.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 02:50 AM
Thats actually an amazing thing. Judaism teaches to give the most you can, and make everyone think you are no more special then the next person.
How Judaism says for people who donate with "HUGE MOCK CHEQUE"?

therebbe
08-23-2006, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
How Judaism says for people who donate with "HUGE MOCK CHEQUE"?
What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what a "huge mock cheque" is.... Are you possibly talking about those huge checks given to people who win things and they all take a picture?

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 02:56 AM
What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what a "huge mock cheque" is.... Are you possibly talking about those huge checks given to people who win things and they all take a picture?
Actually those huge cheques given by rich people to the needy organisations and they all take pictures or live telecast on tv. Very popular in Malaysia...

therebbe
08-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Actually those huge cheques given by rich people to the needy organisations and they all take pictures or live telecast on tv. Very popular in Malaysia...
Oh its very popular here to and disgusting. It is always good to give to charity but it is pure when you do it without needing name recongnition. It shows what your intentions are.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:00 AM
Oh its very popular here to and disgusting. It is always good to give to charity but it is pure when you do it without needing name recongnition. It shows what your intentions are.
yeah..... on for the tax to be discounted too.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:03 AM
yeah..... on for the tax to be discounted too.
Yes that to.

A charity I love to give to right now are ones that are trying to stop AIDS. It is horrible in Africa what the situation is. What I usually do will just go online and donate by pay pal on there web site and check anonymous doner. I calculate exactly 10% of my earnings for the month and do this each month. Cancer has also been a big thing of mine because I know people who died from it and it is very sad.

جوري
08-23-2006, 03:08 AM
children's hospital are always a good place to start especially that donations can start at little as $30... it is a cause dear to my heart and it is pan universal... children are the only hope for this world---especially ones humbled by suffering... A good chunk of money going to st.jude as a tax write off is better than going into the Govt. pocket to kill more folk overseas...
http://www.stjude.org/

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:11 AM
children's hospital are always a good place to start especially that donations can start at little as $30... it is a cause dear to my heart and it is pan universal... children are the only hope for this world---especially ones humbled by suffering... A good chunk of money going to st.jude as a tax write off is better than going into the Govt. pocket to kill more folk overseas...
http://www.stjude.org/
Thank you for the site. The month is about to end, and I will look into stjudes and other childrens hospitals.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:14 AM
I prefer to donate WWF.... because nobody cares about conservation of environment and those helpless animals (actually I felt guilty of eating those turtle eggs ... years ago!!) ....:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

جوري
08-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Thank you for the site. The month is about to end, and I will look into stjudes and other childrens hospitals.
they really just run on your donations... How amazing is that? even if it were a dollar you give-- you will know genuinely that it is going to a child in need ... and not chopped in half by some middle man... at least that is what they promise? who knows ... that is my preference anyhow but I can't force my views...

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:20 AM
they really just run on your donations... How amazing is that? even if it were a dollar you give-- you will know genuinely that it is going to a child in need ... and not chopped in half by some middle man... at least that is what they promise? who knows ... that is my preference anyhow but I can't force my views...
No I agree.

I love to look for organiztions that give 100% to the cause, instead of pocketing half of your money. I always look to see what percentage goes to the actual cause. It is extremily hard to find charities in Africa who give 100% now days. It is just as hard to find a charity in africa that doesn't try and convert all these kids to christians. I want aid, not religious theories being given to them!

جوري
08-23-2006, 03:23 AM
yup... couldn't agree more... I travled to Africa many times... especially Tanzania and I have seen them offer bikes and stuff to kids, it was a disgrace... maybe they have good intentions? who knows?... I just don't think you should give charity expecting someone's soul in return... this is something between them and God... and it should be decided from understanding not needs or coercion...

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:26 AM
I saw a sickening picture once of starvin children getting crosses... I mean come one! Give them food! Not crosses! It was disgraceful.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:27 AM
convert all these kids to christians. I want aid, not religious theories being given to them!
Watch out for Ahmadis too....

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:28 AM
I saw a sickening picture once of starvin children getting crosses... I mean come one! Give them food! Not crosses! It was disgraceful.
So sad that Muslim and christian missionaries are like competing each other to gain more adherents esp. in 3rd World country...

جوري
08-23-2006, 03:40 AM
So sad that Muslim and christian missionaries are like competing each other to gain more adherents esp. in 3rd World country...
I haven't seen any Muslims bribe anyone to convert them there in Africa... in fact.. I personally knew a teacher who told the kid if he wanted to go for the bike he should... all he could offer him was an education... guess what the kid didn't choose the bike... either way I don't think anyone can convert anyone... Not only is it a personal choice of the heart but I believe firmly that God guides whom he wills to the right path if they were sincere... you can live your whole life a miserable human being and have a change of heart and be a devout in an instance and the opposite can also be true...
if you are talking of "Ahmedis" I don't consider them Muslims... Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him warned us against sectarianism... Yet people insist on being divided.....:confused:

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
I haven't seen any Muslims bribe anyone to convert them there in Africa... in fact.. I personally knew a teacher who told the kid if he wanted to go for the bike he should... all he could offer him was an education... guess what the kid didn't choose the bike... either way I don't think anyone can convert anyone... Not only is it a personal choice of the heart but I believe firmly that God guides whom he wills to the right path if they were sincere... you can live your whole life a miserable human being and have a change of heart and be a devout in an instance and the opposite can also be true...
if you are talking of "Ahmedis" I don't consider them Muslims... Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him warned us against sectarianism... Yet people insist on being divided.....:confused:
I've seen them (I'm an observer, part of university activity) doing it in Malaysian jungle.... so sad...

جوري
08-23-2006, 03:49 AM
who were they? how did they identify themselves? what were they doing?

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 04:01 AM
who were they? how did they identify themselves? what were they doing?
They are a family of Malay, who built a big house near the jungle in the state of Pahang.... while the men hunting frogs, monkeys, wild boars... they invite the women and the children to their big house.... children love it there ... lots of toys and junk food. While the women were taught how to make clothes and craftworks.

They have a very big store room...where clothes and toys donated by Muslims nationwide were kept..... and they give this clothes and toys to the visiting women and children....and of course preaching the goodness of Islam.

Result: 1/3 of the aborigines became muslims ... none are adult men.

Now they're planning to open a big fish pond where the men can go there instead of going to jungle.....

KAding
08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Well, I think it what matters is that money goes to charity. If some people can only manage that when they can promote themselves then so be it, in fact we should facilitate it.

You guys have inspired me to donate more. So let me do some shameless self-promoting right now ;). Until now I only gave a little bit to the WWF and Oxfam. But I have added Doctors without Frontiers to it, as well as two local animal care organisations! Ain't I a swell guy? :D

جوري
08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
This image just about puts it all in perspective... the photographer who took this photo committed suicide shorty after it was taken --- the kid in here is barely a toddler... couldn't keep her strength to walk to where food is handed.... a vulture is waiting for her to die for obvious reasons...

therebbe
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
I want to cry when I see that.

جوري
08-23-2006, 01:51 PM
I want to cry when I see that.
the world is an unfortunate place for some though it doesn't have to be ... when I see a lady boasting on TV about one of richest man alive and his steel industry, that it would take us a life time straight to count his fortune to encompass it all just one billion out of his $175 billion could end hunger for this girl and her entire country ... or I see a $5000 burger with sheets of gold sold in Vegas, the ludicrous amount some spend on weddings only to get a divorce six months later, it infuriates me.... anyone of us could be this girl ... my consolation is I know the poor are most beloved by God..... And I also believe it is a test for the rest of us to see how we give and spend and how we deal with our own unfortunate affairs...

therebbe
08-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I believe I will donate here:

http://www.worldvision.org/worldvisi..._pic&lpos=main

"Eight children in Africa die every minute from poverty-related causes."

They also have a relief agency in Lebanon which I might give some to as well. But the situation in Africa I feel is much worse. But I feel for all suffering people.

Isaac
08-23-2006, 02:04 PM
MashAllah a very good post sister Ambrosia. May Allah bless you for putting your point across. We are not amongst the true beleivers until we want for our brothers and sisters what we would want for ourselves.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Me and my family donated to that earthquake in Pakistan and there is a church nearby my house. They wanted to help so they gave it to us to send.
What they gave us was toothpaste, shampoos, tooth brushes, etc. But in all of em they had pictures of Jesus and stuff...stuff sayin like Jesus is Lord =\. It was kinda ok, but not all r christians there...

north_malaysian
08-24-2006, 03:52 AM
This image just about puts it all in perspective... the photographer who took this photo committed suicide shorty after it was taken --- the kid in here is barely a toddler... couldn't keep her strength to walk to where food is handed.... a vulture is waiting for her to die for obvious reasons...

I've got that pic via e-mail some months ago... it was taken in darfur region.

The picture was taken about 1 km to the nearest refugee camp (where they got food and medicines)... the photographer took the photo while that poor kid crawling towards the camp..... after he snapped the pic he left the place without helping that kid.... when he went back to his respective country ... he felt awful when seeing this pic ..... if he just help the kid to the camp ... at least the kid would survive... but he did not do that ... he felt guilty ... and committed suicide.....

Some people have to crawl for food ... while we Malaysians love waste so much on food ....

جوري
08-24-2006, 03:56 AM
I've got that pic via e-mail some months ago... it was taken in darfur region.

The picture was taken about 1 km to the nearest refugee camp (where they got food and medicines)... the photographer took the photo while that poor kid crawling towards the camp..... after he snapped the pic he left the place without helping that kid.... when he went back to his respective country ... he felt awful when seeing this pic ..... if he just help the kid to the camp ... at least the kid would survive... but he did not do that ... he felt guilty ... and committed suicide.....

Some people have to crawl for food ... while we Malaysians love waste so much on food ....
I believe he helped her and shot the vulture away but he suffered from depression... I saw a documentary on the whole story... I am really glad I did... why would he take a pic so heart wrenching and walk away? It is a shame he killed himself ... his work will live on... this pic was very profound.. still is--

north_malaysian
08-24-2006, 03:59 AM
I believe he helped her and shot the vulture away but he suffered from depression... I saw a documentary on the whole story... I am really glad I did... why would he take a pic so heart wrenching and walk away? It is a shame he killed himself ... his work will live on... this pic was very profound.. still is--
There's a documentary on it?.... whoa .... which means those e-mail sender not telling me the truth...

Where did u see that documentary?

جوري
08-24-2006, 04:02 AM
There's a documentary on it?.... whoa .... which means those e-mail sender not telling me the truth...

Where did u see that documentary?
a public broadcasting system... PBS or WLIW... here is the websitehttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D%26ie%3DUTF-8
you should always probe on what you read... especially with all the hate out there... God knows there is so much hate in this world...

i_m_tipu
08-24-2006, 04:06 AM
a public broadcasting system... PBS or WLIW... here is the websitehttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...D%26ie%3DUTF-8
you should always probe on what you read... especially with all the hate out there... God knows there is so much hate in this world...

that is very big address :muddlehea

north_malaysian
08-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Dank u !!!!:D

جوري
08-24-2006, 04:09 AM
""The pain of life overrides the joy to the point that joy does not exist." said he.
--it is really unfortunate that someone would be led through disappointment to end his life... I can relate and understand what he means by his statement ... but to end his young life... it is very tragic... May Allah have mercy on us...
sry about the address... I was as surprised to see it but it works doesn't it? lols

Les_Nubian
08-24-2006, 04:09 AM
Charity is most definately required. That's a given.

Isn't it supposed to be like (a minimum of) 2.5% or something?

north_malaysian
08-24-2006, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Les_Nubian
Charity is most definately required. That's a given.

Isn't it supposed to be like (a minimum of) 2.5% or something?
that's zakah (alms-giving)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.