/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iran attacks! Erm.... Romania, that is..

Trumble
08-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, a Romanian oil rig, anyway.

A Romanian oil company says one of its rigs stationed in the Gulf has come under fire from Iranian troops. A spokesman for the firm GSP said Iranian troops had seized the rig after firing from a nearby ship, and GSP lost contact with its 26 workers there. Radu Petrescu said the Orizont rig had been moored near Kish island since October 2005.

GSP operates two rigs off Kish. The other rig is reported to have been involved in a legal dispute in Iran. It is unclear whether the incident on Tuesday was related to that dispute.

The shooting reportedly happened as the rig was being taken outside Iranian waters for a mandatory overhaul.

The rigs are operated under a deal signed between Petrom, GSP and Dubai-based Oriental Oil Co. A statement on GSP's website, signed by company president Gabriel Comanescu, said the Iranian action was a "flagrant breach of all the international rules".

It said that since Monday, Iranian military helicopters and ships had been "trying to intimidate the Romanian crew aboard the rig". Then early on Tuesday "an Iranian military cutter boat opened fire against the Orizont rig, in the stern crane" and Iranian troops occupied the rig, the statement said.
"We do not know if anyone is hurt," it added.
BBC

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vishnu
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Blatent act of violence which doesn't suprise me coming from Iran.

KAding
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmm, Romania is part of NATO! We are under attack!!!! Let the mobilization begin! :p

Dahir
08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Hmm, Romania is part of NATO! We are under attack!!!! Let the mobilization begin! :p
:skeleton: :skeleton: :skeleton: :raging: :raging: :raging: :Evil:

War has BEGUN!! Kind of...

What the heck is Iran doing? Is this the beginning of the "end?"

:?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Romania is definetly a threat. It has a massive military budget of 73 cents US. There is great fear that at any moment the Romanian Government may unleash it's entire military force which consists of Grandma Stasha and a frying pan. Rumor also has it that Romania may have a hidden war arsenal of a dreaded rolling pin, that could be used without warning.

My post is intend to be as rediculous as I think the logic of this attack was.

Dahir
08-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Romania is definetly a threat. It has a massive military budget of 73 cents US. There is great fear that at any moment the Romanian Government may unleash it's entire military force which consists of Grandma Stasha and a frying pan. Rumor also has it that Romania may have a hidden war arsenal of a dreaded rolling pin, that could be used without warning.
:D

I couldn't stop laughing, sorry, and your logic is on point; I do not know or have a single clue as to why Iran did this.

I swear on another forum I was on, one poster kept going on about how August 22nd would be a big day. Maybe this little attack is not a matter of laughter and akwardness but the trigger to ww3.

If you know anything about WW1, it started with a little incident in a little nation and exploded from there.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Innocent Romanians could be hurt! If it was Israel commiting this violent act, there would be cries for Israels neck! :p

QuranStudy
08-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Innocent Romanians could be hurt! If it was Israel commiting this violent act, there would be cries for Israels neck!
Ahem...Lebanon anyone?

Abdulwaheed
08-23-2006, 12:19 AM
LOL I still want israel's neck even if they are not involved in this incident :p
I wont get over what they did to lebanon

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
:D

I couldn't stop laughing, sorry, and your logic is on point; I do not know or have a single clue as to why Iran did this.

I swear on another forum I was on, one poster kept going on about how August 22nd would be a big day. Maybe this little attack is not a matter of laughter and akwardness but the trigger to ww3.

If you know anything about WW1, it started with a little incident in a little nation and exploded from there.
True

Yet I can not contemplate the mentality that went into this attack.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Ahem...Lebanon anyone?
Ahem, Katusha's and kidnaped soldiers anyone? :p

QuranStudy
08-23-2006, 12:30 AM
Ahem, Katusha's and kidnaped soldiers anyone?
Let's not forget the 700+ Lebanese civilians killed, mostly children and women.

Quit it. 70% of Israelis believe they lost the war.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Let's not forget the 700+ Lebanese civilians killed, mostly children and women.

Quit it. 70% of Israelis believe they lost the war.
I did not say anything about winning or losing a war. All I said was, who started the conflict. But this is getting off topic as it is.

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
As odd as this topic strikes some us. let us try to keep it on topic. Perhaps somebody can think of some logical Explanation as to why Iran would capture a Romanian Oil rig.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
As odd as this topic strikes some us. let us try to keep it on topic. Perhaps somebody can think of some logical Explanation as to why Iran would capture a Romanian Oil rig.
Maybe they have a larger hunger and greed for oil then Bush does.

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Maybe they have a larger hunger and greed for oil then Bush does.
The Rig was in Iranian waters. It is a portable drilling rig and was being taken in for repairs. Totaly useless as it is.

Trumble
08-23-2006, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Perhaps somebody can think of some logical Explanation as to why Iran would capture a Romanian Oil rig.
It does say that "the other rig is reported to have been involved in a legal dispute in Iran". It could just be a day for Intelligence mistakes - Israel gets the wrong man, and determined not to be outdone Iran gets the wrong oil rig! :D

Dahir
08-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Something I'm not certain of, but:

I heard earlier, from a source I don't remember, that the Romanian drilling company was doing some illegal stuff like stealing oil, and disrupting local life in the Gulf; so local Iranian police tried to keep the Romanians in check.

It was only a local police force; like the Texas national guard, nothing big really, not on a national scale.

But then again, this could turn into a major disaster, a trigger to bigger events.

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Something I'm not certain of, but:

I heard earlier, from a source I don't remember, that the Romanian drilling company was doing some illegal stuff like stealing oil, and disrupting local life in the Gulf; so local Iranian police tried to keep the Romanians in check.

It was only a local police force; like the Texas national guard, nothing big really, not on a national scale.

But then again, this could turn into a major disaster, a trigger to bigger events.
This is scary, I'm agreeing with you. That is probably the most logical reason.

(but I do consider it an insult to the Great Republic of Texas, to call our national guard nothing big. Everything is big in Texas. )

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Maybe Iran wants to start WW3 in order to make 12th Imam come down quickly??

Allah-creation
08-23-2006, 02:42 AM
lol for 2 solders, only a fool would believe it. Isreal wanted to invaid lebanon for years. hezbollah only wanted to negotiate.

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
lol for 2 solders, only a fool would believe it. Isreal wanted to invaid lebanon for years. hezbollah only wanted to negotiate.
I'm having trouble making any conection between that and this thread.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Just ignore Woodrow. Even responding could actually send of the idea that he has any sense of reality. :p

Dahir
08-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Maybe Iran wants to start WW3 in order to make 12th Imam come down quickly??
Maybe...I've been hearing from many people that Ahmadinejad follows a small, extremist, "far-off" sect, I forget the name, but I hear its the Islamic equivelant to Evangelism, but that's just what I've heard.

This is scary, I'm agreeing with you. That is probably the most logical reason.

(but I do consider it an insult to the Great Republic of Texas, to call our national guard nothing big. Everything is big in Texas. )
I guess I've chosen the wrong state then, make that Oregon then. :D

Here's your Answer:

I'm having trouble making any conection between that and this thread.

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:21 AM
Is it below zero in Minnesota yet Dahir? :p

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Is it below zero in Minnesota yet Dahir? :p
Dahir - he's a unique human being.... he can be in anybody's shoe....

therebbe
08-23-2006, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Dahir - he's a unique human being.... he can be in anybody's shoe....
Actually. I know people who live in Minnesota, but now they live in Michigan. I would go visit them in December, January, February and it would be like below zero Fahrenheit. it was crazy! Props to Dahir for living there. :p

Keltoi
08-23-2006, 04:01 AM
On the issue of Iran, you have wonder what their intentions were considering the international radar on everything they do right now. What benefit would they gain by this action? Leads me to believe this was probably more of a legal issue that went too far, without any great design by the Iranian government.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
On the issue of Iran, you have wonder what their intentions were considering the international radar on everything they do right now. What benefit would they gain by this action? Leads me to believe this was probably more of a legal issue that went too far, without any great design by the Iranian government.
Maybe you should think of "to make the 12th Imam appear quickly' theory...

Dahir
08-23-2006, 04:53 AM
Actually. I know people who live in Minnesota, but now they live in Michigan. I would go visit them in December, January, February and it would be like below zero Fahrenheit. it was crazy! Props to Dahir for living there. :p
It was actually very warm the last winter, like 13 degrees fahrenheit at worst.

Coldest I ever saw was negative 24 degrees. And that was last year. The entire month of December was in the negatives....very painful, but I'd take it over any tropical "paradise," except Hawaii, that is an exception. :giggling:

Yep, I've said that before. It is a local issue that Iran had to take care of...and would people realize that this isn't the US, Israel, or UK that Iran "disposed" of, its ROMANIA!!!!

Iran and Romania have no "beef," and Romania has no powerful allies, except Russia, but Russia is also a close economic and defense partner of Iran.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 04:58 AM
It was actually very warm the last winter, like 13 degrees fahrenheit at worst.

Coldest I ever saw was negative 24 degrees. And that was last year. The entire month of December was in the negatives....very painful, but I'd take it over any tropical "paradise," except Hawaii, that is an exception. :giggling:

Yep, I've said that before. It is a local issue that Iran had to take care of...and would people realize that this isn't the US, Israel, or UK that Iran "disposed" of, its ROMANIA!!!!

Iran and Romania have no "beef," and Romania has no powerful allies, except Russia, but Russia is also a close economic and defense partner of Iran.
Goodness ... I cannot tolerate 22 degree celcius (that's the min temprature i can live in my room) ... and you manage to live under 0 degree celcius for a month.....:heated:

Dahir
08-23-2006, 05:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Goodness ... I cannot tolerate 22 degree celcius (that's the min temprature i can live in my room) ... and you manage to live under 0 degree celcius for a month.....:heated:
Actually, it would be NEGATIVE 31 Celcius, for 20 straight days.

Zero Celcius would be a walk in the park - that's T-Shirt and swim trunks for me! ;D

Last summer, the warmest it got in Minnesota, even in July was 19 Celcius. Believe it or not. :uhwhat

Its now 17 Celcius.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 05:15 AM
Actually, it would be NEGATIVE 31 Celcius, for 20 straight days.

Zero Celcius would be a walk in the park - that's T-Shirt and swim trunks for me! ;D .
And I'll be like those frozen beef exported from Australia...

Woodrow
08-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Well it looks like the discussion of the Iran/Romania war has run it's cours. We have turned it into a frivilous thread, Time to let it go.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.