/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Somali Islamists ban deforestation, exporting charcoal

sonz
08-24-2006, 07:31 AM
The Council of Islamic Courts (CIC) controlling Mogadishu and other key parts in southern Somalia ruled against deforestation and placed an export ban on charcoal, SomaliNet.com reported.

The head of the information department of the Islamic Courts, Sheikh Abdirahin Mudey, held a news conference on Monday that focused on two major issues “defending the religion and the nation and banning the deforestation of the environment in Somalia”

Sheikh Mudey said that the decades-old conflict in Somalia has severely depleted the country’s natural resources.

Therefore, he said: “The Islamic Courts has decided to ban cutting plants and exporting the metal scrapes, and charcoal and it would be a crime to do that”.

Sheikh Mudey also discussed the civil war era, and said that the best solution to avoid such a war is to apply the rules of the Islamic religion.

“After 16 years of difficulties, Somali people received back their comprehension and it is needed that Somalis should reconcile over their inner conflict and also stick to their religion of Islam,” he said.

He also denounced any discrimination against Somalis, saying: “From now on, it should be known that all Somalis are equal and consist of five main tribes.”

Sheikh Mudey also criticized the federalism in which the interim government is based on, saying that it’s meant to divide a country which has the same religion, race, culture and language.

He also stressed that there is no need to deploy African troops in Somalia, referring to a recent proposal to send thousands of forces from East Africa to the country within the next few weeks or months.

Sheikh Mudey also hailed the governments of Djibouti, Eritrea, Sudan and Uganda for their neutral stance, and their rejection to the troop deployment proposal.

On the other hand, he said: “Kenya and Ethiopia governments are offending their neighbor and want to occupy our independent country, but we say to them ‘if you go one step forward into our territory you must bear in mind our resistance’.”

Gov’t losing more troops

Meanwhile, more than 100 soldiers belonging to the transitional federal government abandoned their bases near the Baidoa airport, and headed to Mogadishu to join the ranks of the Islamic Courts, sources said.

Many Somali troops have defected from the interim government since the Islamists seized control over southern Somalia.

About 450 soldiers have already joined the Islamic Courts, which continue to expand their power across Somalia.

Correspondents say the defections deal a major blow to the transitional government, which has been hurt by rivalries and is still so weak that its leaders are more or less confined to Baidoa, 150 miles inland from Mogadishu.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Nice to see 'environmentalist' spirit in some government!!!:D

Trumble
08-24-2006, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Nice to see 'environmentalist' spirit in some government!!!:D
Yes. I read somewhere that they have prohibited the exporting of some rare wildlife species, too. The Islamists certainly seem to have "green" credentials, if nothing else.

azim
08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Alhamdulillahi rabbil aalameen.

Perhaps I should defect to the Somali Islamic Courts as well...I'd have to brush up on my Somali first though... I have 3 word vocabulary: - Wariah, Nyah and Naas....I don't think I'm gonna get very far...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-24-2006, 07:24 PM
It seems the logic behind the bans are to deplete the livlihood of the people more so, than any interest in conservation. Interesting paradox doing a very good thing but for the wrong reasons.

Just my opinion.

AHMED_GUREY
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It seems the logic behind the bans are to deplete the livlihood of the people more so, than any interest in conservation. Interesting paradox doing a very good thing but for the wrong reasons.

Just my opinion.
actually they were being pressured by the locals only a handfull of traders made money of charcoal trade and animal export

The Somali Green party's watchdog is composed of local underground officials and representatives from the villages of Southern Somali villagers of Merca, Jammame, Jilib, Dhobay, barawa and Mogadishu outskirts.
http://www.geeskaafrika.com/somalia_21aug06.htm

deforestation causes draugth and that's the last thing somalis want

Dahir
08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I don't know...the "Courts" seem a little suspicious to me; but we'll have to find out in later terms. So far, the complaints have been small and they have been releasing captured foreign sailors lately (trespassers).

Only time will tell, only TIME.

KAding
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It seems the logic behind the bans are to deplete the livlihood of the people more so, than any interest in conservation.
Huh? What makes you say that? Why would they want to 'deplete the livlihood' of anyone?

Samee
08-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Kind of off-topic, but I never liked the term "islamist." It's like your trying to say Islamic extremist.....

ManchesterFolk
08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samee
Kind of off-topic, but I never liked the term "islamist." It's like your trying to say Islamic extremist.....
Is·lam·ism (

s-lä

m

z

m,

z-,

s

l

z

-) Pronunciation Key

n.
  1. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
  2. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.

azim
08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Is·lam·ism (

s-lä

m

z

m,

z-,

s

l

z

-) Pronunciation Key

n.
  1. An Islamic revivalist movement, often characterized by moral conservatism, literalism, and the attempt to implement Islamic values in all spheres of life.
  2. The religious faith, principles, or cause of Islam.
I get quite annoyed when English suffixes and prefixes are used on loan words, especially when its to denote a very specific meaning that isn't widely known. It usually doesn't work very well or conveys the wrong meaning to the hearer.

Woodrow
08-24-2006, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Huh? What makes you say that? Why would they want to 'deplete the livlihood' of anyone?
Moot point now as it was already pointed out only a few were making a profit. However, my viewing it the way I did is because economic destruction is a very effective weapon. Actually more effective than bombs or bullets.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.