/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance

anonymous
08-24-2006, 08:13 AM
:sl:

Sometimes i get the feeling that im arrogant. I dont think i mean to be that way, it just kind of happens sometimes, that i have arrogant thoughts. But at other times i think my thoughts which i previoulsy thought were arrogant werent arrogant at all and they were justified.. :rollseyes

However, im pretty sure that if i were to ask my friends if they thought i was arrogant they would say 'no way' or something like that, i dont act arrogant, i guess i just think arrogantly sometimes.

It worries me a bit becuase arrogance is such as big sin in islam... so um doesn anyone know if thinking arrogantly sometimes is actually a sin becuase im not acting upon it? and does anyone have some practical advice about how to not be arrogant

i hope this isnt confusing, im confused about it myself.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous

Sometimes i get the feeling that im arrogant. I dont think i mean to be that way, it just kind of happens sometimes, that i have arrogant thoughts. But at other times i think my thoughts which i previoulsy thought were arrogant werent arrogant at all and they were justified.. :rollseyes

However, im pretty sure that if i were to ask my friends if they thought i was arrogant they would say 'no way' or something like that, i dont act arrogant, i guess i just think arrogantly sometimes.

It worries me a bit becuase arrogance is such as big sin in islam... so um doesn anyone know if thinking arrogantly sometimes is actually a sin becuase im not acting upon it? and does anyone have some practical advice about how to not be arrogant

i hope this isnt confusing, im confused about it myself.
Paradoxal, but you know I really doubt if there are any arrogant people that think of themselves as being arrogant. Your fear of being arrogant is a good thing. More of us need to have that fear. We do not need to dwell on it, but it is a good fear to have and know that it is a tool to help guide us. Fear of drowning will keep a non swimmer from jumping into deep water.

syilla
08-24-2006, 08:23 AM
i'm thinking about this too...

is it the same as riyak?

cause i read it somewhere...eventhough a very small riyak...is a sin...

so we have to be very careful...in every intention we're doin...
even wearing clothes...like you wear beautiful clothes to get ppl attention or you like it when ppl praise you...

i_m_tipu
08-24-2006, 08:30 AM
good ans bro Woodrow

If u know yourselves

Than nothing will make u fell confused.(hardly)

Reputation system can be a concern of creating fitnah.(i have a feeling like this)
I think mod know well than me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DigitalStorm82
08-24-2006, 10:06 AM
thoughts are forgiven... long as you don't act upon it or speak it.

advice: make dikhr of Allah

salaamz,
Hamid

i_m_tipu
08-24-2006, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82

salaamz,
Hamid
good advice

dikhr like a medicine. it purified the felling and pain

i have quite a few of experiences.

anonymous
08-24-2006, 01:01 PM

jazakallah khayr for the replies...

i think i generally am arrogant when it comes to islam (ironically). for example, i am probably too quick to think that certain people arent practising enough becuase, for example, they might have the chance to attend the friday prayer but instead they just go pray quickly and dont listen to the khutbah but instead go to hang out somewhere... or i might think i understand things better than some people or something because i am more knowledgable in certain fields..

i dont know, its hard to explain, but i would appreciate some more advice please :)

i know of this, but how true is it for my situation do you think?

glo
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM

i think i generally am arrogant when it comes to islam (ironically). for example, i am probably too quick to think that certain people arent practising enough becuase, for example, they might have the chance to attend the friday prayer but instead they just go pray quickly and dont listen to the khutbah but instead go to hang out somewhere... or i might think i understand things better than some people or something because i am more knowledgable in certain fields..

i dont know, its hard to explain, but i would appreciate some more advice please :)

You know, I think it's quite easy to fall into arrogance - especially when you are eager to please God and wanting to do your best! It's too easy to look around you and see other people who seem to be lacking in their efforts.

I certainly catch myself having feelings like that sometimes! :uuh:

Whenever I start to have critical and judgemental feelings towards the people around me, I know it is time to reassess my attitudes and feelings towards others ... and to pray, pray, pray!!
God does not want us to be proud and judgemental.

Perhaps it is different for me as a Christian, because Christians believe that we are all sinners and nobody will ever be good and holy enough by God's standards.
As long as I truly believe that, I have no right to feel in any way better or holier than the next person.

Walking with God can be daily struggle. Don't beat yourself up about your weaknesses.
If you are aware of them, you have taken the first step; if you have confessed them to God, the second; from then on it is just a step-by-step journey, always following God's guidance.
Nothing more to it, really!
:rollseyes :D

peace. :)

syilla
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82

salaamz,
Hamid
bad intention yes...is forgiven...

i'm not sure about riyak...i better check it out....

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
thinkin of a sin is bad, but actin upon dat sin is baaaad :p

i jus wan u 2 remem a hadiths :D

"he who has a ounce of pride or arrogance in him, will not smell jannah"

also when Hadhrat Umar (ra) felt he had authority because he was ameer ul momineen, he defamed himself by sayin he was a shepard & he worked for a few dates, mashallah see his greatness mashallah :D:D lol

now the only way to get rid of arrogrance is to remem that in Allah (swt) eyes we r all 1, and rememba that we will be goin to him in the end, also bro jus treat others how u wanna b treated :D:D:D and keep smilin :D:D:D:D

DigitalStorm82
08-25-2006, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi

"he who has a ounce of pride or arrogance in him, will not smell jannah"
Good hadith to keep you humble

Woodrow
08-25-2006, 03:04 AM

It would be the ultimate arrogant act if a person took pride in not being arrogant. Humility and humble thoughts for the wrong reason can also be a form of arrogance.

We all are arrogant in some manner. we all fall short of being free from arrogance. Would it not be arrogant for a man to say that he is immune to aggogance?

All we can do is acknowledge that we are arrogant, pray to Allah(swt) to see in what areas we are being arrogant in and work on them. This is a life long continuous battle, because the mere fact of knowing we have conquered arrogance is being arrogant in itself. We will never achieve pure humility any more than we will ever acheive perfection. But the fact that we will never achieve it does not mean we should give up to trying.

And yes it does applie to your situation. None of us is exempt or immune, You have no monopoly on sin, all of us are equaly sinfull.

~Stranger~
08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
how can someone know if they were arrogant?!

syilla
09-01-2006, 02:40 AM

everything you do...should be always for Allah...

so if you're doing anything or being praised for anything...you should ask yourself, is it for Allah subhanahuwata'ala.

wallahualam..

glo
09-01-2006, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister Salam
how can someone know if they were arrogant?!
When thoughts like 'I know better than him/her/them' or 'I am better than him/her/them' creep into your mind, it may be time to check your attitude.
That's what I go by, anyway.

Peace.

syilla
09-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Prohibition of Arrogance

(Friday Speech delivered by Imam Mohamed Baianonie at the Islamic Center of Raleigh, NC on December 12, 1997)

Arrogance is one of the most dangerous inner diseases of the heart. Those inner diseases reside in the hearts but their destructive effects are reflected in the behavior and conduct of the sick person who can be prevented from entering paradise on the Day of Judgment. In the authentic hadith reported by Imams Muslim and At-Tirmithi the prophet (S.A.W.) said, "One will not enter Paradise, if one has an atom’s weight of arrogance in his/her heart."

This hadith is evidence that arrogance is one of the major sins because it prevents the arrogant from entering Paradise on the Day of Judgment. It is also an evidence that arrogance is from the diseases of the heart, and an evidence that the degree of arrogance varies. The heart can be filled with arrogance or can have only up to a small atom’s weight of arrogance.

In scolding arrogance and demonstrating its danger, many verses and authentic ahadith have been revealed and we will mention some of them.

First, what is arrogance? The prophet (S.A.W.) defined it for us in an authentic hadith reported by Imams Muslim and At-Tirmithi, "One will not enter Paradise, if one has an atom’s weight of arrogance in his/her heart." a man then asked, "One may love his clothes to look good and his shoes to look good?!" The prophet replied, "Allah is beautiful and loves beauty, arrogance is: rejecting the truth and looking down on people."

The different degrees and types of arrogance: The most evil kind of arrogance is rejection of the truth and not following it. In this context, many verses were revealed to scold arrogance and the arrogant people. Examples are: On the Day of Judgment, it is said to the arrogant people in surat Ghafer, (Verse 76), what can be translated as, "Enter the gates of

Hell to abide therein, and (indeed) what an evil abode of the arrogant!"

Hell Fire is the abode of the arrogant people. This is emphasized in the hadith of the prophet (S.A.W.) that is reported by Imam Muslim, "Paradise and Hell Fire have argued. Hell fire said: Inside me are the merciless and the arrogant people....and Allah has judged between them:… You (Hell Fire) are my torture, with you I torture whom I will…."

Allah (S.W.T.) turns the arrogant people away from being guided with his signs. He (S.W.T.) say sin surat Al-A’raaf, (Verse 146), what can be translated as, "I shall turn away from My Ayat (verses of the Qur’an) those who behave arrogantly on the earth, in a wrongful manner."

The most severe arrogance is being arrogant against Allah (S.W.T.) and rejecting submission and worshipping Him. Allah (S.W.T.) says in surat Ghafer, (Verse 60), what can be translated as, "Verily! Those who disdain My worship (because of arrogance), they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!"

From arrogance is being arrogant against the messengers and rejecting their message and not following them just because they are human. This is the case of many non-believers about whom Allah (S.W.T.) says in the Qur'an in surat Al-Mu’minoon, (Verse 47), what can be translated as, "They said: "Shall we believe in two men like ourselves." And in surat Ibraheem, (Verse 10), can be translated as, "They said to their messengers: "You are no more than human beings like us." And the tribe of Quraish also said, when it rejected and looked down on the prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) because he was an orphan and poor, as Allah (S.W.T.) told us in surat Az-Zukhruf, (Verse 31), what can be translated as, "And they say: "Why is not this Qur’an sent down to some great man of the two towns (Makka and Ta’if)."

Allah (S.W.T.) described to us the real situation of the disbelievers in surat An-Namal, (Verse 14), what can be translated as, "And they belied them (those Ayat) wrongfully and arrogantly, though their ownselves were convinced thereof (i.e. those Ayat are from Allah)."

From the examples of arrogance against the prophet (S.A.W.) reported by Imam Muslim that a man who came and ate in the presence of the prophet (S.A.W.) with his left hand, so the prophet (S.A.W.) said to him, "Eat with your right hand." The man said, "I cannot." The prophet (S.A.W.) then supplicated to Allah against this man, "May Allah, make you unable to use your right hand." "Nothing prevented him from doing so (eating with his right hand) except his arrogance, so he forever could not lift his right hand to his mouth."

Allah (S.W.T.) told us the story of Iblees so that we may learn lessons from it, when he ordered him to prostrate to Adam and he rejected because of his Arrogance and Envy towards Adam, claiming that he is better than him. Allah said in surat Al-A’raaf, Verse (12), what can be translated as, "…I am better than him (Adam), you created me from fire, and you created him from clay."

Allah (S.W.T.) demonstrated to us that arrogance is an exclusive attribute of Himself. In a Qudsi hadith reported by Imam Muslim that Allah (S.W.T.) says, "Dignity is my lower garment, and arrogance is my covering. If anyone competes with Me in either of these two, surely I torture him." Allah (S.W.T.) says in surat Luqman, (Verse 18), what can be translated as, "And do not turn your face away from men with arrogance, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allah does not like each arrogant boaster."

Allah does not like the one who is conceited and arrogant. The prophet (S.A.W.) says what was reported by Imams Bukhari and Muslim, "While a man was showing off in his garment, he looked proudly to himself, all of a sudden, Allah immediately crumbled the earth underneath him, and he is still dropping with struggle through it till the Day of Judgment."

Allah (S.W.T.) does not look with mercy, on the Day of Judgment, at the one whom lengthened his clothes out of arrogance. The prophet (S.A.W.) says reported by Imams Bukhari, Muslim, and other, "Whosoever drags his clothes out of arrogance, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Judgment." Abu Bakr said: "O messenger of Allah: My garment slips (slightly off his waist) to the ground but I lift it!?" The prophet replied, "You are not among those who do it out of arrogance."

After we have heard all these verses and ahadith about the dangers of arrogance and how bad the consequences are, we should be cautioned and get away from it and from its effects and its characteristics. So we teach ourselves to follow the truth when we know it, and humble ourselves in front of others. Imam Muslim reported that the prophet (S.A.W.) said, "....And no one has humbled himself for the sake of Allah, but Allah has elevated him."

The prophet (S.A.W.) is the best example of humility in his life. Imams Bukhari and Muslim reported that "The prophet used to pass by children and give Salaam to them (greet them)." Imam Bukhari reported that, "A female slave from Madinah use to take the prophet’s sleeve and take him wherever she wants." Imam Bukhari also reported, "That the Prophet used to be at the service of his family."

source : http://www.islam1.org/khutub/Arrogance_Prohibited.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.