/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lately...

anonymous
08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
:sl:

Lately it seems like nothing is going my way. I feel real down. It's as if my parents have one path in mind for me and I have another. If thats not bad enough, it seems like theres no single purpose for me...I mean I don't enjoy school nor do I particularly want to make money. But I do want to become a scholar, however, I've been told this isn't a proper career, and that I won't be making money from being a scholar. I'm expected to study something at university.

Also, because of the lack of support from family for Islam Education, and the over-emphasis on secular, it seems like I'll never learn about Islam...become hafiz, learn quranic arabic, tafseer etc...

Why Oh Why????! There are like 30 people who I personally know...and I'm sure many many more...who don't want to study Islam..but are forced to become scholars by family, and here I am wanting to do something I enjoy, to benefit the Ummah, and I'm landed with parents who want me to do anything but! And also, studying Islam part time, I've tried believe me..but with the complete lack of support, and stress piled on for secular education, it won't work that way

I can't even try to reason with my parents, because my mum gets all angry/emotional.

Darn it! Any advice? And also make dua for me!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
08-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Asalamu Alaikum,

I'd say listen to your parents... the prophet replied: listen to your mom, listen to your mom, listen to your mom... and then listen to your dad...etc.

I'm sure you are aware of this hadith... you just have to implement it...

You can benefit the ummah once you've completed your secular education. You'll have not only the money to support people who cannot support themselves... but you'll have islamic knowledge as well.

I suggest you take a course at a university... and study Islam part time...

Allah didn't put us here on earth to worship him alone... he said to make best of both of the worlds... so work on your dunya (this world) while your young and able... take advantage of your youth before you are old.

Being a haffiz is also a dream of many young muslims... but its easier if you start as a child. So, you can try to memorize the Quran much as you can.. but at the same time you have to learn...

Most importantly, don't forget that learning secular knowledge is also part of ibadah.

May Allah grant you hikmah and understanding to get through difficult situations in life, Ameen.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Snowflake
08-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Salam,

I'd love it if my son became a scholar. The way I see it is that not only he will benefit from the knowledge but the ummah will too inshaAllah. It will also pave the way for sadka jariah. Basically it will be good for his deen, duniya and akhirah.

Try explaining it from this angle to your mom. If she's worried that being a scholar doesn't bring enough income, tell her that you can go on to open an Islamic school/give talks/write books etc... Tell her to think of how many people will benefit from one scholar alone. Tell you parents how important this is for you and that if you listened to them it will only be out of duty and not your own happiness. I'm sure they'll relent inshaAllah.

And don't forget to make duaa and ask for Allah's help to make your parents change their views. Pray salatul hajaat inshaAllah.

north_malaysian
08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
You dont need to be a 'scholar' to be knowledgeable of Islam. Just pursue any 'secular' subject that might benefit you .... because accounting, laws, economics, medics, engineering subjects are part of Islam ... as long as you'll benefit those 'secular' degree for the purpose of helping others....

While studying, those secular subject, you can study Islam... be a hafiz....

Or maybe ... got a degree in 'secular' subject, practice for several years ... then further study in Islamic studies ... AT LEAST you have fulfilled your parents' demands...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
08-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Greetings in peace anonymous;

You can teach a person knowledge, but you cannot give them the wisdom to apply this knowledge. That tends to come more from life’s experience

Maybe your prayers have been answered, maybe you already have everything you need from Allah. If Allah wills you to become a great scholar then you will become one.
Maybe Allah has given you the tools, you must find a way forwards despite all the difficulties, but do not fall out with your parents over this.

Here is an inspiring quote, but I am not sure were it came from.

I asked for Strength.........
And Allah gave me Difficulties to make me strong.
I asked for Wisdom.........
And Allah gave me Problems to solve.
I asked for Prosperity.........
And Allah gave me Brain and Brawn to work.
I asked for Courage.........
And Allah gave me Danger to overcome.
I asked for Love.........
And Allah gave me Troubled people to help.
I asked for Favours.........
And Allah gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed
My Prayer has been answered.

in the spirit of journeying through life always one day at a time, knowing that our God holds each one of us in the palm of his hand.

Eric

Ummu Sufyaan
08-26-2006, 09:19 AM
:sl:
try signing up with this link. it seems genuine, and its over the net :

http://www.understand-islam.net/Arti...-islam.net.pdf

this is what ss madeenahsh says about it:

"Bismillaah

Salamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah

Mashallaah this is excellent, please spread the word, to all those who would want to benefit inshallaah, for those for don't know these are classes recorded by Shaykh Saleh us Saleh student of Shaykh Uthaymeen!!!!"

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...earn-deen.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!