/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spelling

KAding
08-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Is there no hadith asking people to spell properly on forums? :? :rollseyes :D

Didn't the prophet ever say anything like "when you move in public, make sure you communicate clearly, so that others may understand you"? :(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
08-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi Kading.

Anas (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with him) reported that when the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to say something, he would repeat it three times so that it would be understood. When he came to a people, he would greet them three times." [al-Bukhari]

'A'isha (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with her) said, "The words of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, were clear words which could be understood by all who heard them." [Abu Dawud]

And obviously, he (peace be upon him) should be our role model, hence we should imitate him.

Peace.

Samee
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree completely. It just seems childish when you see people substituing slang for everyday words. In chat rooms and on AIM, MSN and everything else, slang is fine. But let's use regular english on the forums :)

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
:sl:
lol yo mn wsgwanin wit dat? y u makin suptions dat tis me n ze chacha all ze tym?
Translation for my fellow folk lol
what is going on with that? why are you making assumptions that it's me and the chacha all the time?
i would say that 1 is deeeeeply offended by Alpha's comments...but naaa lol
jolly well my fellow crusaders, i shall try and refrain from the absurd 'lingo' that i may use once in a while....Fellow musketeer Chacha, now it's your turn..
:D
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm waiting for zAk to post here! This must be his favourite topic!

I find it really annoying when people post in text slang. You just skim over what they have said.

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Let me guess, you're having trouble reading what 'Chacha Jalebi' and 'H4RUN' post?
:rollseyes ive never ever used negative reps and i hav a real bad urge of using them now :D:p:D

but slang is understandle, its jus easier & quicker to write, and many people includin meself & harun hav stopped using slang dramitically :p

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
lol yo mn wsgwanin wit dat? y u makin suptions dat tis me n ze chacha all ze tym?
Translation for my fellow folk lol
what is going on with that? why are you making assumptions that it's me and the chacha all the time?
i would say that 1 is deeeeeply offended by Alpha's comments...but naaa lol
jolly well my fellow crusaders, i shall try and refrain from the absurd 'lingo' that i may use once in a while....Fellow musketeer Chacha, now it's your turn..
:D
brap brap :p:p:p :D:D:D

d brigrade is back :p can we have people stop slang bashing :p as i deeply hurts me & i have even considered takin overdoses of tablets :p lol

Curaezipirid
08-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Alaikum Assalam,
ah, the spelling issue!
I am so very fond of asserting that spelling should be at least recognisable, and yet it is that I have discovered a vast ring of Shaytans and kaffir making false allegations against Human true believers only for slight spelling errors!

My own belief is manifest in certain regard in these matters. One, when any person is not certain of a spelling they are right to try to spell any word phonetically; and two that any person whom types words in any electronic forums, had better stick strictly to using words that are alreay existant and recorded in dictionaries, since the Angels who do each word will need some help from the Human users of the words one day, and better now than during the visit to Hell. That is, electricity is expensive, so best not to got manifesting brand new words through.
wasalam

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 08:46 PM
lol @ muskateer :D

This topic has been raised like a million times on this forum. The way I see it, if people want their opinion to be taken seriously, they have got to write it out so other people can understand - it's as simple as that.
My friend you are being somewhat harsh aren't you? Just because some of us have only got 2 GCE's that doesn't mean you have use such complex sentences, we get the message. No one understands us, because we're un-understandable.....:p it's as simple as that :D
By the way a good reason is that many peolpe reply so quickly, hence to get in there before them a slang term leads to another, and before one knows it, voila a whole new language....
NOTE no slang used :D:D:p

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree with Samee. I use slang and txt speak to a certain extent on MSN and whilst txting my friends, but hardly ever on Forums. Because I really hardly use slang in real life. I see that as part of my unpracticing self, and I sought to change my character when I started practicing. The Prophet (SAW) spoke with eloquent speech, and like Fi_Sabilillah said:

And obviously, he (peace be upon him) should be our role model, hence we should imitate him.
:wasalamex

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 08:48 PM
My friend you are being somewhat harsh aren't you? Just because some of us have only got 2 GCE's
talk for yourself :p lol

na but on a rather serious note, i do believe that before there was a lot of slang, but now it isnt as much, from many people :D:D:D, but again slang is just a language that needs to be accepted :p

azim
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

I think the whole text speak issue is perhaps one of the most posted about issues.

Personally, I don't like it, but as long as whats being said is intelligable, then it shouldn't be condemned so strongly.

Also, some text speak habits are normal i.e. lol, brb, cya, tho, gr8 etc... and it makes sense in the informal setting of a forum to abbreviated code.

Kittygyal
08-24-2006, 08:50 PM
well people who use slang are chandoos!, maybe you should start too! they seem to be wanabe gansta's maybe i should post that song called "wanabe gangsta's"

seeker_of_ilm
08-24-2006, 08:52 PM

I think, that when discussing such a sacred and important topic such as Islam, it should be written in a formal manner, and should at the least be readable/understandable. When people apply for jobs/universities, they use a certain standard of English, for the simple reason, that people won't take them seriously if they don't. Similarly, I think when presenting things about Islam, a certain standard should be maintained Insha'allah

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 08:58 PM
well said akhi, yep it's understandable, we as Muslims should be the leaders in society, hence our manners, our speech should reflect that, indeed it helps to get used to the formalities of the english language when applying for a job or when at a job interview...Or even when at a chip shop, they give free extra chilly then :D:D:p
But errrrr it sure is a whole lot quicka..lol
chacha don watch, me iz not leavin dat easily, ew is hookd on dis 4 lyf :p:p

KAding
08-24-2006, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
:rollseyes ive never ever used negative reps and i hav a real bad urge of using them now :D:p:D
I deserve them. I don't generally like 'spelling nazis' either, but with some people I just get completely confused :(.

but slang is understandle
Uh huh :grumbling

Kittygyal
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
carrot plonker nephew translate!

it makes it easier for people to understand and also you can learn from typing, but whom write like "wanabe gangsta's" are "chandoos"

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
lol kading matey me wasnt aiming the neg reps @ u :D:D:D lol

kittygal whats a chando? lol

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Alpha Dude, I believe there is some slang in your sig. 'Da real soulja'. Lol.

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Alpha Dude, I believe there is some slang in your sig. 'Da real soulja'. Lol.
lol innit :p well spotted sista :D:D:D

Muezzin
08-24-2006, 09:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

Didn't the prophet ever say anything like "when you move in public, make sure you communicate clearly, so that others may understand you"? :(
I know what you mean. Text speak sucks buttock.

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 09:12 PM
braappp brappp :D
:p
i've known some propa plonka's in my time, but u jus top them all lolll u landed yourself in it init lol
wora idiot :giggling: :D :p

Kittygyal
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
lol kading matey me wasnt aiming the neg reps @ u :D:D:D lol

kittygal whats a chando? lol

ask nephew!

KAding
08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Hi Kading.

Anas (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with him) reported that when the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to say something, he would repeat it three times so that it would be understood. When he came to a people, he would greet them three times." [al-Bukhari]

'A'isha (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with her) said, "The words of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, were clear words which could be understood by all who heard them." [Abu Dawud]

Peace.
Thanks Fi_Sabilillah! Good stuff! :)

Muezzin
08-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Indeed it is!

Now I have a hadith to quote every time someone uses some silly slang like 'braaap' which actually sounds more like a fart than anything.

In my humble opinion.

I'm just kidding, teenage members, no need to 'stab' me because you're wearing your 'hoodies'. 'Big up'.

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 09:17 PM
u know u can get jubbas with hoodies 'brap' n 'big up' 2 d designers lol

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-24-2006, 09:18 PM
LOL. Btw, whenever I use slang, it's usually as a joke. I don't use it in real life. I agree, it is kinda silly.

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Chacha jeee need some inspraaaaaaaation here [ere:p]...are there no other slang users on now? what going on with that [wasgwanin wid dat :p]

Kittygyal
08-24-2006, 09:21 PM
i used to use so much slang before i came here then gradually stopped cause people used to complain :(, but it's posh writing like this

- Qatada -
08-24-2006, 09:24 PM

u guyz gota cut down on da slang.. iss na ryt wen yo roamin ova sm1 elsez thread..

Seriosly, let's calm down insha'Allaah. :) It's someone elses thread, and it's not polite to act like that. jazak Allaahu khayr.

:salamext:

H4RUN
08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

u guyz gota cut down on da slang.. iss na ryt wen yo roamin ova sm1 elsez thread..

i beg you're pardon young sir, what's this disgraceful style of speech you are using?
;D

Curaezipirid
08-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Alaikum Assalam,
why it is a proper toffee English form!
I fink dat dere are so many pwopa exqwesthions of Engwish that we none of us need every fear being lesser in any of: however academic standards are usually set for a reason; and on the whole such exist in languages like English simply because of the Muslim influence since the Middle Ages. Also the dictionary is widely held to be the greatest literary acheivement of the English language; so in deference to Qur'an, it is no loss of credibity for any person to use one. But in that it is that dictionaries are difficult to compile. Consider this: every use of electricity needs to have its origins sourced! Sourced and accounted for in every direction and in every cause and effect. That is why we get Hell dudes! Believe me that harsh is reasonable. But spelling mistakes are totally forgiveable! wasalam

chacha_jalebi
08-24-2006, 11:33 PM
braappp brappp :D
lol join d bandwagon :D:D:D :p

yesh i agree, and i also have tried & my fanclub:p will be a testimony of this but i tink i have cut down wit d slang :D:D:D .....

syilla
08-25-2006, 01:14 AM
when i can't understand some slang...i always thought i'm getting too old for this gadget and new trends...

Everybody is talking and understand it...but i don't....so i think i'm too old and out dated...

Curaezipirid
08-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Alaikum Assalam,

that is OK, we all get outdated the moment we breath in the wrong order

a Soul that forgives negatively into the past need breath in then out

a Soul that forgives positively into the future need breath out then in

so as to be fulfilling the cause of being a Soul

(unless a Shaytan, and truly even then)

and in this day and age it is thereby all the more expedient and efficient to rely upon all our every means that seem outdated

if this makes any sense (maybe only that there are Shaytans who have been holding me to account against my own death for spelling mistakes! but because I had no defender (am not in wedlock and estranged from family by Shaytan interference) the best I could combat with in the circumstance was, "well if you suppose you got me, then I will really have you then!" if they truly dare not to correct their error

thanks for beginning a spelling thread wasalam

glo
08-25-2006, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

What I fine thread, KAding!

I struggle with poorly written posts and slang too, I'm afraid. :rollseyes
Not that I want to tell people how and what they can and cannot write, but the point is
if you want to people to understand your point-of-view, you have to communicate it clearly!

I also agree with some previous posters that many issues discussed here are of a serious nature, either in religious or personal sense - and they deserve people's responses in a legible and understandable form.

But in the case of slang, it may be that non-slang speakers are not actually intended to understand!
Isn't that the point of slang? An in-group lingo, which excludes outsiders?

Just my penny's worth ...

Vaseline
08-25-2006, 06:22 AM
slang is like, so yesterday :rollseyes

Nah, on a serious note: Personally, I don't like slang. Believe it or not, many people judge by how you type. There have been other forums I go on where a "newbie" will write the as da, that as dat, is as iz, like as lyk etc. etc. and it just creates...a negative image for them and I have seen other users mocking these newbies.

Woodrow
08-25-2006, 06:45 AM
When I see slang I am reminded of a bowl of alphabet soup.

In that soup is the most important and profound statement ever made. If only I had the ability to sort the letters into the proper order to know what it is.

Al-Zaara
08-25-2006, 06:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
When I see slang I am reminded of a bowl of alphabet soup.

In that soup is the most important and profound statement ever made. If only I had the ability to sort the letters into the proper order to know what it is.

Very poetic, brother. ;D
Seriously, I agree 100% with glo! Though, in some extent I think it's OK to use slang... I mean something like: because - 'cause, thank you - thanx, thanks, brother - bro, sister- sistah.. etc.
Those are almost the only slangs? I use. :)

Curaezipirid
08-31-2006, 06:24 AM
Alaikumassalam

I guess that spelling without vowels is totally out of the question in an internet forum due to the impossiblity of electricity carrying sound memory accurately expcept for Arch Angels. (Most Jinn at Earth only occassionally pull all their self together and manfiest in full capacity, except Iblis who is very very good, so always can) But in general Jinn are not so smart as so to assume,

mu'asalam

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 09:49 AM
It's convienient when your in a rush and quikly need to type your post and dash off.

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 10:04 AM

i dont know...its soo easy to read slang...i mean we write what we say the proounciation stays the same...so i dont understand why its hard for some of you to read...and writing like that takes aaaaaages...can i please be excused...please...if any of you dont understand nefin den ask me n il trnsl8 it or sum1 else wud hu knos how ta read slang :happy:

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:05 AM
It doesn't take long to type in full! Your just so used to typing in slang but if you keep at it you'll get used to it.

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 10:06 AM
GET in my fellow 'part time' :p slang users! the numbers are building!
gwaaaan u doin ma proud! tis jus getn beta n beta....:p
cmon Chacha slang, shed sum lyt ova ere :p

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
o-kay. Am I the only one confused? :confused:

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 10:11 AM
see another advantage of using such disgraceful language....the 3rd party just hasn't got a clue lolll

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Then that is one wasted post. :p

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Baby_Pearl
o-kay. Am I the only one confused? :confused:
confused abt wt sis???

It doesn't take long to type in full! Your just so used to typing in slang but if you keep at it you'll get used to it.
i dnt get used to it relly...i use it ere n wen am doin me wrk, im fyn...spellins all correct...ders no prob...but i dnt wanna ryt propa ere cuz it takes waayyyy too long :-\

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Then that is one wasted post. :p
;D just wait 'till my siginificant other in slang crime arrives...1 wasted post? it's going to be like a full encyclopedia :p muaahahahahahaahaha

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
;D just wait 'till my siginificant other in slang crime arrives...1 wasted post? it's going to be like a full encyclopedia :p muaahahahahahaahaha
:uhwhat I think there is a word for that...*thinks* Oh yeah! Spamming. :rollseyes

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 10:27 AM
point being? lollllll

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:30 AM
point being? lollllll
ok. Now your just being silly lol

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
point being? lollllll
u post soo much yet how cum ur post count stays so low :uuh:...most of em get deleted huh??

H4RUN
08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
[puts head down]
absobleedinlutely, maturer yet younger sis eh? keep it up :)
all's well ends well, end of spamming...
ahem [sorry bad cough] until chacha arrives that is :p

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 10:34 AM
:rollseyes

Azhar786
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
[puts head down]
absobleedinlutely, maturer yet younger sis eh? keep it up :)
all's well ends well, end of spamming...
ahem [sorry bad cough] until chacha arrives that is :p

very cheeky lol

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:20 AM
very cheeky lol
das de bst fing a plonkas gud at ryt??

neways...i was 'ordrd' ta make u guys confused until he arrivs...but hu carez i ent up for it :rollseyes

neways...werz checha...*wondaz* :rollseyes

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Why do I get the feeling that when Checha arrives I'm going to get even more confused?

AhlaamBella
08-31-2006, 11:24 AM
*eyes wide* someone is happy

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Why do I get the feeling that when Checha arrives I'm going to get even more confused?
u get dat feelin cuz im guessin u R gonna b mor confused :?....lol

format_quote Originally Posted by alpha dudette
Chacha. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
das lyk de largst group o ':D' smillies iv cn :uuh: was happenin??

chacha_jalebi
08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
checha? i fort you was callin moi sheesha :p aaah confusion frm me? you surely must have the wrong human :D :D:D:D:D

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:49 AM
checha? i fort you was callin moi sheesha :p aaah confusion frm me? you surely must have the wrong human :D :D:D:D:D
LOLZZ

woz waitin ur arrival bro :rollseyes....:D

Azhar786
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
salaam chachaaaaa

alot of ppl missin uuuuuuuu here lolzzzzzzzzzzz

- Qatada -
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM

lol i wish i cud join in.. buh the modz are gna warn u guyz or sutin.. so no mo freepostin ayt? :) sori.. if u want, u can create a new thread in da languagez section and say itz yo slang lingo or sutin.. seeen? :p

chacha_jalebi
08-31-2006, 11:52 AM
can we do that bro fi? :D:D:D im gona create one :p

lol yeh azhar bro :p they just me fans :p

- Qatada -
08-31-2006, 11:53 AM

lol ayt.. buh dnt try getin 2 much freemixin der, and yeh u got ma permission insha'Allaah (na lyk dey lisen 2me anywayz) :p lol buh yeah gwan.. no mo chatin ere tho :)

Azhar786
08-31-2006, 11:54 AM
can we do that bro fi? :D:D:D im gona create one :p

lol yeh azhar bro :p they just me fans :p

hurry up dont waist time

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 11:55 AM
they just me fans :p
u wish :p

format_quote Originally Posted by fi
lol i wish i cud join in.. buh the modz are gna warn u guyz or sutin.. so no mo freepostin ayt? :) sori.. if u want, u can create a new thread in da languagez section and say itz yo slang lingo or sutin.. seeen? :p
whoa!!! u can speak slang too :ooh: :ooh:

chacha_jalebi
08-31-2006, 12:01 PM
lol if i create a slang thread it may hamper my chances of being a mod :p

lol sista dark crystal u know i was back by popular public demand :p

The Ruler
08-31-2006, 12:03 PM
lol sista dark crystal u know i was back by popular public demand :p
u was bak cuz u knew if u didnt u cudnt bcum a mod :rollseyes *duh*

i ent makin a slang thread cuz i ent got no wrds in me...im lost :uhwhat

- Qatada -
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Ok, chat here now insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/misc-lan...any-higha.html

Just try to follow the rules there insha'Allaah :) jazak Allaah khayr.

Curaezipirid
09-01-2006, 02:01 AM
lkmslm
pst thr nly
nmr
hr
mslm

AhlaamBella
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
That doesn't make sense :confused:

Curaezipirid
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
clue is that first line = alaikumassalam
last line= mu'asalam

but Heaven knows what the others were I can not for the life of me recall

Curaezipirid
09-01-2006, 05:29 PM
cool, surely was
and about that other "bad spellers of the world untie" thread
since either lead only to each other so I made social commentary upon in that other (there)
thanks mu'asalam

Mujahidah4Allah
09-01-2006, 05:30 PM
congratulatons you have got it right and even better you understood what ridi said :D

i thought this'd be some thread about if you need help in spelling come here :hiding:

ma'salamah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.