/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ever Wonder where Spammers get your Email Address?

Dahir
08-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Link

:-\

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
08-25-2006, 06:26 AM
lool

Seller:

samina1980gucci

( 21

)

Feedback:100% PositiveMember:since 09-May-05 in United Kingdom
is that the samina on this forum :eek:

Trumble
08-25-2006, 09:48 AM
eBay should really block the sale of that sort of stuff. I suppose there isn't much you can do when its business e-mail addresses being advertised as they would all be publically available anyway. Has anyone seem something similar for private e-mail addys? It should be possible to do something about that.

lolwatever
08-25-2006, 10:06 AM
one thing i can say.. gmail is spectacular int he way it filters spam... it's unebelievably good...

like seriously, out of every 1000 spam emails, it filters out 990 of them pretty much.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dahir
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
one thing i can say.. gmail is spectacular int he way it filters spam... it's unebelievably good...

like seriously, out of every 1000 spam emails, it filters out 990 of them pretty much.
Gmail and Hotmail do a great job, Yahoo on the other hand is terrible! :-\

Far7an
08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
:sl:
I'd also advise members against writing their email addresses out in posts. instead use a format such as: user at domain dot com.

baby_muslimah
08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Will that work? ^

Dahir
08-25-2006, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by baby_muslimah
Will that work? ^
Most likely. I'm guessing that email-hijackers have software that detects and swoops written mail addersses in certain format, but if you write it in a word format, it'll go undetected.

I think...:rollseyes

lolwatever
08-26-2006, 12:19 AM
^^ yep that's correct.
salamz

Dahir
08-26-2006, 05:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^^ yep that's correct.
salamz
Yep. Using my theory I won't be a victim of Ebay.

Woodrow
08-26-2006, 05:40 AM
The difficulty in getting ebay to do anything is ebay does not sell any items themselves they are only a venue for people to use to sell their products. Live people except for the sellers and buyers will never see most of the auctions. Ebay will act if somebody does report an auction, but usually by then the auction has already come and gone and the seller has started a new auction under a different ID.

Dahir
08-26-2006, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The difficulty in getting ebay to do anything is ebay does not sell any items themselves they are only a venue for people to use to sell their products. Live people except for the sellers and buyers will never see most of the auctions. Ebay will act if somebody does report an auction, but usually by then the auction has already come and gone and the seller has started a new auction under a different ID.
So its like an active virtual flesh trade on ebay - without policing...something tells me ebay needs mods.

I heard a rumor that when ebay first started out, slaves were being auctioned, even live animals, guns and live ammo, and drugs. Then I heard they were cracking down on it and that the "trade" went on until 2002 or some time around then...only RUMORS...^o) :uuh:

Woodrow
08-26-2006, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
So its like an active virtual flesh trade on ebay - without policing...something tells me ebay needs mods.

I heard a rumor that when ebay first started out, slaves were being auctioned, even live animals, guns and live ammo, and drugs. Then I heard they were cracking down on it and that the "trade" went on until 2002 or some time around then...only RUMORS...^o) :uuh:
LOL they do have mods. But, sadly for the most part they have gone to an automated moderation system through live world. They basicaly just search for key words that will flag a "semi" live person. The bad guys have learned all the key words. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody isn't selling that as a CD on ebay.

lolwatever
08-26-2006, 06:30 AM
The bad guys have learned all the key words. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody isn't selling that as a CD on ebay.
lool :giggling:

i bought one such cd for 30 cents off there :p

lol j/k

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.