/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wages of Arab, Muslim men fell after 9/11

sonz
08-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Wages of Arab and Muslims men working in the United States declined by 10% in the years following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, a new study shows, according to Reuters news agency.

The drop in earnings was most dramatic in areas that have high rates of hate crimes, according to the study, due to be published in the Journal of Human Resources.

The study looked at 4,300 Arab and Muslim men, ages 21-54, from the 20 U.S. states where 85% of all Arab and Muslim Americans live. It also used hate crime data from the FBI.

The researchers examined changes in wages of first- and second-generation immigrants coming from predominantly Arab or Muslim countries from Sept. 1997 to Sept. 2005. They then compared them to changes in the wages of immigrants with similar skills from other countries.

The average wage was about $20 an hour ahead of the Sept. 11 attacks, and dropped by $2 an hour after them, Robert Kaestner, co-author of the study and a University of Illinois at Chicago professor of economics, said on Thursday.

The drop in wages persisted through 2004 but showed signs of abating in 2005, he added.

The study also found that wages dropped between 12 and 13% after 9/11 in areas with high rate of hate crimes, compared to 6 to 7% in areas with lower-than-average hate crimes rate.

"I was surprised," Kaestner said. "We see an immediate and significant connection between personal prejudice and economic harm."

Trying to find explanations, the study found that Arab and Muslim men were 20% less likely to move within the state they lived after 9/11. This could affect their ability to get better paying jobs, according to Kaestner.

"I think it's clear that the impact of anti-Muslim bias is more than just a hate crime or an overt act of discrimination," said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Washington.

"I think the study shows that bias and prejudice can have an impact on many levels in the society and many levels within an individual's life," he said.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
QuranStudy
08-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Another good reason to leave America.

Muezzin
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure I understand the report - is it a reflection of Muslims working in every profession, or just a select few, such as for example menial labour?

Keltoi
08-25-2006, 05:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Arab men and women, in general, make as much if not more than the average American. I believe I saw this statistic posted by Woodrow or another of the moderators.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
QuranStudy
08-25-2006, 05:58 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Arab men and women, in general, make as much if not more than the average American. I believe I saw this statistic posted by Woodrow or another of the moderators.
Depends on which Arab you talk about. Iranians and Palestinians make more money than the average Arab in the United States.

Woodrow
08-25-2006, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I don't believe I posted that, but I could have.

I would say that here in Austin the Muslims are earning more than the Non-Muslims. Primarily because the Majority of Muslims in Austin are in the Professions or Business owners. From what I understand there are no Muslims in Austin collecting Unemplyment, food stamps or other benenfefits for low income families. There may be some, but I do not know of any.

Zulkiflim
08-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Salaam,

Some muslim have got it bettr like the Hirsan Ali,,,is that her anme,she has left the EU coutnry or rahter evicted and now taken as as a counselor in the US.

Why for her innovative thinking to chage Islam to allow lesbian / gay culture to be accepted.

Such hyprocrites trully are much desired in the west and i am sure more and more muslim will fall into the propaganda in the west and become "moderates" instead of Muslim..

And these people will be hired by the US as counsellor and get high paind jobs,,,and it will send a message to all muslim,,

SEE HOW WELL WE LIVE,IF YOU JUST SAY THE WORD LIKE US>>YOU CAN TOO..

So i expect in the time to come more "moderates" shall appear siding with Isreal murder of muslim,and asking that hijab be removed and that the quran be changed..

Tehy seel the wrod of Allah for a paltry price.
Inshallah these shall be the inmates of the fire..
Where even stones burn

KAding
08-26-2006, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

Some muslim have got it bettr like the Hirsan Ali,,,is that her anme,she has left the EU coutnry or rahter evicted and now taken as as a counselor in the US.
She was not evicted. Neither has she lost her citizenship. If anyone 'evicted' her it was Islamic deathtreats.

Why for her innovative thinking to chage Islam to allow lesbian / gay culture to be accepted.
She is not a lesbian either. Her main issue is womens rights, but I suppose she considers intolerance towards gays another problem that needs to be tackled if we want a liveable society.

Such hyprocrites trully are much desired in the west and i am sure more and more muslim will fall into the propaganda in the west and become "moderates" instead of Muslim..

And these people will be hired by the US as counsellor and get high paind jobs,,,and it will send a message to all muslim,,

SEE HOW WELL WE LIVE,IF YOU JUST SAY THE WORD LIKE US>>YOU CAN TOO..

So i expect in the time to come more "moderates" shall appear siding with Isreal murder of muslim,and asking that hijab be removed and that the quran be changed..

Tehy seel the wrod of Allah for a paltry price.
Inshallah these shall be the inmates of the fire..
Where even stones burn
Right yes. I too hope that these moderates will win. :uuh:

Zulkiflim
08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
She was not evicted. Neither has she lost her citizenship. If anyone 'evicted' her it was Islamic deathtreats.

She is not a lesbian either. Her main issue is womens rights, but I suppose she considers intolerance towards gays another problem that needs to be tackled if we want a liveable society.

Right yes. I too hope that these moderates will win. :uuh:
Salaam,

Yes i am sure you would support these moderates who say we are muslims but choose what to follow in Islam.

I rememebr of on moderat who siad,he is a muslim but when asked do you pray no..i pray wiht my heart...and i asked him,,,,,Alhamdulilah,i am sure in the future you should also not eat but in your heart just think you are eating.

Moderates are innovators...

And kafirs will accept them and lvoe them for the words they say.

They sold their salvation for a paltry price.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.