/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Muslims boycott U.S. goods

sonz
08-26-2006, 08:05 AM
Malaysian Muslims launched a boycott campaign of American goods in protest over the U.S.’s support for Israel’s military offensives in the Gaza Strip and Lebanon, AFP reported.

The Muslim Consumer Association of Malaysia demands all Malaysians to stop buying products from three top U.S. companies; Starbucks, Coca Cola and Colgate-Palmolive.

The boycott aims to protest the “U.S.’s support for Israel’s military actions” against Palestinian and Lebanese civilians.

"To buy and trade with U.S. goods is to actively support the illegal Israeli occupation in Palestine and the war in Lebanon," Azmin Ibrahim, the group's organizing committee member, told AFP.

"Israel and the U.S. have consciously destroyed Palestine and Lebanon and undermined peace in the region," he added.

Azmin said his group will distribute leaflets to inform consumers of the boycott after Friday prayers at two major mosques in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.

The Malaysian government has slammed Israel’s brutal offensive in Gaza and Lebanon, but has ruled out boycotting goods from the United States and Britain.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi recently warned that a boycott could backfire on the predominantly Muslim nation.

The U.S. is Malaysia’s biggest trade partner and their trade relationship is worth some 44 billion dollars a year.

Israel’s deadly offensive in Lebanon has killed more than 1,200 civilians, 30% of them children under 12, and injured at least 4,000 others. It also displaced nearly a million others, sparking what aid agencies describe as a humanitarian crisis.

A similarly aggressive assault in the Gaza Strip has killed more than 200 Palestinians, mostly civilians, and there has been an extensive damage to Gaza’s homes, roads, bridges and government buildings.

AlJazeerqa

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I can see how that might hurt 3 companies, but I see little effect it will have on the USA. I would suspect that the Coca-cola is made and bottled in Indonesia and not imported from the USA and most likely They pay little if any tax to the US for the sales there. Starbucks probably does much the same except the coffee beans probably go streight to Malaysia and are processed there wouldn't make any sense shipping them here firs. Colgate palmolive I am not certain as to where it would be manufactured for shipment to Malaysia.

Woodrow
08-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Found it the Palmolvive products for sale in Malaysia are manufactured it Thailand.

The New York-based consumer products giant, with a presence in more than 200 countries, has no shortage of experience in adjusting to recessions. In good times and bad, it tries to remain focused on leading the various markets in which it competes.

Today, Colgate-Palmolive(Thailand) is the market leader in the oral-care and baby-care businesses. It ranks among the top three in other sectors such as personal care, fabric care and household care.

Source: http://www.siamfuture.com/WorldInThai/colgate.asp

Very little if any of that money would ever reach the US economy

starfortress
08-26-2006, 09:05 AM
Agreed,boycotting seems does not practiccally or effective to use in order to protest against US support to Israel,i know through this method there is no way that the USA will change its mind on Israel war.Yes its only a boycott but also effective to show or to represent our support and sense to our Muslim brother wthout a violence and bloodshed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress
Agreed,boycotting seems does not practiccally or effective to use in order to protest against US support to Israel,i know through this method there is no way that the USA will change its mind on Israel war.Yes its only a boycott but also effective to show or to represent our support and sense to our Muslim brother wthout a violence and bloodshed.
It would be a show of protest against the US if the boycott actually had an impact on the US or a US corporation. Many of the worlds corporations may have their address and headquarters in the US but for the most part production and distribution is in other countries. Using Palmolive as an example. Malaysia is trying to Boycott an American company by boycotting Palmolive. But the only ones that are affected will be Palmolive-Colgate Bangkok in Thailand. In reality they are boycotting a Thai company and think they are boycotting a US co.

Coca cola is another good example of an international company. The Coke sold out side the US is not produced in the US it is produced and bottled in the country it is sold in. The coke sold in a country is actually a product made inside that country with the franchise name. Here I usually get the Coca-Cola from Mexico on the rare occasions I buy it. The reason being they still use the same formula that was used in the 1940s when I was a kid. Way different flavor than the current coca-cola sold in the US

Because of the internal make up of most corporations today. You do not know which country you are boycotting when you boycott a product. For all you know what is labeled an American product could be being produced in Morocco, with Palestinian materials, Distributed by Egyptian Ships to be sold in Kuwait stores. (That probably hasn't happened, but we won't know if it does and it is possible)

brainiac
08-28-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm boycotting Malaysian products because of their support for Hezbollah.;D:+o( vomit:

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 02:02 AM
I'm boycotting Malaysian products because of their support for Hezbollah.
I'm sure it won't be a loss for Malaysia :)

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
I'm boycotting Malaysian products because of their support for Hezbollah.;D:+o( vomit:
Most of Malaysian companies' products sold in Muslim nations.

But most of Non-Malaysian companies' products which are manufactured in Malaysia are sold worldwide...we have a big INTEL factory in northern Malaysia

But how do you know Malaysians support Hezballah.... most of Malaysian economy are owned by Chinese.... if you boycott Malaysian goods ... you're boycotting the Chinese...

starfortress
08-28-2006, 02:48 AM
most of malaysia export items are gross product like timber,rubber,palm oil,electronic component so no one can refuse to buy it,plus recently there is high interest reaction from Malaysian government to switch the market flow to China,India and other Asian region.The next 10 years China and India should be one of world economy power ;D

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 02:50 AM
most of malaysia export items are gross product like timber,rubber,palm oil,electronic component so no one can refuse to buy it,plus recently there is high interest reaction from Malaysian government to switch the market flow to China,India and other Asian region.The next 10 years China and India should be one of world economy power ;D
that's why Malaysia is aiming to be the largest halaal products producer and exporter in the world .... at least Muslims will be supporting our nation.

starfortress
08-28-2006, 02:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
that's why Malaysia is aiming to be the largest halaal products producer and exporter in the world .... at least Muslims will be supporting our nation.
Ops,forgot about the Halal product

Woodrow
08-28-2006, 03:04 AM
Ops,forgot about the Halal product
Interesting. I hadn't thought about that, but out of the countries with a large Muslim population Malaysia is probably the only one with enough ariable land to produce Halal foods in large quantities. Nearly every other country that is basicaly Muslim has to rely on imports for food.

syilla
08-28-2006, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
did you ever use any of Malaysian products :rollseyes:

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
did you ever use any of Malaysian products :rollseyes:
He might be vomitting if he open his computer ... and seeing all those parts made in Malaysia....;D

starfortress
08-28-2006, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HusamLah
boycotts are a waste of time and for the simple minded

:sl:
every person have their own opinion or action about evrything that has happened to our muslim society,so in this present day all over the globe are obviously strangled by many element that wouldnt simply allowed us to do much to support/help our brother,very few option are left for us to pick it up.As a result,we can see a suicidebombers,terrorism,chaos and riot on the street.So i think boycott is one of the option to pick,of course within other effort also.

"Its better to do something(without violence),than do nothing".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.