/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis Mosque Attacked with Arson

Hashim_507
08-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Friday, August 25, 2006
By: Abdirahman Aynte
The Center for Independent Media

Minneapolis, MN (HOL) A Minneapolis mosque was targeted with a suspected arson early Thursday morning while prayer was in session, the mosque director said. No one was hurt in the incident, but dozens of books and other equipments were destroyed.

Sheikh Abdirashid Hassan, the director of Abubakar Assadique Islamic Center located in 2824 13th Avenue S., which was bought by Muslims a year ago for 1.7 million dollars, said he believes a hate crime is involved.

Here’s the chronology of the account Hassan gave on Thursday’s event:

2:00 a.m. A member of the congregation reported that he has seen two suspicious-looking men in their car in the back parking lot of the mosque.

2:54 a.m. The mosque security cameras show that a man broke into a back window down stairs and wandered around the dark before exiting the building without doing anything else wrong. That part of the building is under construction.

5:15 a.m. The morning prayer was called upstairs. About 7 members of the congregation attended.

5:18 a.m. Security cameras show a second man getting into the mosque through the same window and quickly moving into an unused warehouse where hundreds of the Koran and other books were stored. Using a snowplow machine owned by the mosque, the man apparently started the fire, according to Hassan.

5:38 a.m. Cameras show members of the congregation heading to the back parking lot of the mosque on the tip of the two suspicious men reported earlier. Apparently, they spotted nothing.

5:39 a.m. Cameras show the suspected arsonist quietly exiting the same window he came through.

Several minutes after that, a member of the congregation decided to check down stairs. Fumes of smoke struck him in the face. He dialed 911 immediately. Firefighters showed up three minutes after his call and successfully managed the blazing fire.

By Thursday evening, half-burned books and an almost unrecognizable snowplow machine were still at the scene. The smell of the smoke could still be detected in the air.

A fresh graffiti showing the Star of David and what looks like a Menorah, both Jewish symbols, have been painted on the wall facing the 13th street side of the building.

Mosque officials are saying that they are not sure if the two separate men caught on camera or the Jewish symbols are connected. They are also not sure if the graffiti was the work of the two suspicious men or if they were painted last night. Other members of the mosque, however, say that they have never seen the graffiti before.

“While we think this case has the fingertips of a hate crime, we’re not making any judgment on any particular people, community or faith,” said Hassan, the soft-spoken director of the mosque.

Mosque leaders said that they have been receiving weekly – and sometimes daily- fax messages riddled with insults and “go back to your country” rhetoric since they bought the property.

Police are still investigating the incident, which caused limited damage.

It’s not the first time that a mosque in Minnesota is targeted with arson. Columbia Heights Islamic Center was also attacks last year, burning down a portion of the mosque.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) reported on its website that attacks against Muslim interests in America have increased “pointedly” since September 11 terrorist attacks.

Mosque leaders are hoping to discuss the incident with city officials and neighborhood and community leaders Friday.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tayyib musawwir
08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
As Salammu Alaikum Brotha Whats up Ma Name Tayyib Minneapolis Is Where I Live Dis Had To Be Arabs Doin Hate Crime on Black Muslim Mosque Im Guessin Beause They Have History of Hatein Black An Islam And Was The Mos With Somalians Or African Americans I Would Not Put It Pass Me If The Attacked Were Arabs Trya Hurt Us Blacks

QuranStudy
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Sad. These stories makes me want to leave America ASAP.

Jayda
08-27-2006, 10:08 PM
this is shameful

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I hope the culprits are caught and punished accordingly. Surely their faces are visible on the CCTV footage? Unless of course they were masked.

Could you provide a source (i.e. a link) for this story please?

QuranStudy
08-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Do those culprits think that doing such things will please God?

Muezzin
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Do those culprits think that doing such things will please God?
Who can say? Even if they were behind the grafitti, we do not know enough from this report to say if they were actually Jewish, or non-Jews framing members of the Jewish community.

chacha_jalebi
08-27-2006, 11:35 PM
if the sheikh propa knows what was happenin, like he says @ 2.54 pm this happen & this time this happen, then why didnt he attempt to stop them

neway it jus shows how sad sum ppl are, they not man enough to attack a human, so they gota attack a mosque :cry: :heated:

ManchesterFolk
08-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Wouldn't a Jew know how to draw a menorah? I heard the Menorah was drawn by someone who drew it completly wrong.

Thats like a Christian drawing the cross wrong... :p

Hashim_507
08-28-2006, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyib musawwir
As Salammu Alaikum Brotha Whats up Ma Name Tayyib Minneapolis Is Where I Live Dis Had To Be Arabs Doin Hate Crime on Black Muslim Mosque Im Guessin Beause They Have History of Hatein Black An Islam And Was The Mos With Somalians Or African Americans I Would Not Put It Pass Me If The Attacked Were Arabs Trya Hurt Us Blacks
Asalamu Alaikum

Brother those attackers are not arabs, they were black and white men. Brother do not judge a whole race, there is such arab people who are racist. All muslims are brothers and sisters, whether there arab, non-arabs black or white. Not all arabs are muslims, there is christian arabs and ect...

:sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.