/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possable?

Ghazi
08-26-2006, 06:40 PM
:sl:

I've got two questions.

1.What would Happen if an elevator carrying a person was to suddenly free-fall and the person jumped seconds before the elevator hit the bottom would he survive?

2. Say there were two sets of identical twins one male and the other female say each male married one of the twins from the female twins and both couples had twins would both set of twins be identical since the parents were identical?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
bluesky
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
in easy terms plz!:?

Jayda
08-26-2006, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I've got two questions.

1.What would Happen if an elevator carrying a person was to suddenly free-fall and the person jumped seconds before the elevator hit the bottom would he survive?

2. Say there were two sets of identical twins one male and the other female say each male married one of the twins from the female twins and both couples had twins would both set of twins be identical since the parents were identical?
Hola islam-truth!

I can try to answer... but i was not a physics major so dont do anything, especially jumping off elevators, because of what im saying... if you jumped off an elevator seconds before the elevator hit the bottom you would hit the bottom at the same speed as if you had been on the elevator still, because before you would have been falling at 9.80 m/s (gravity) and after you would still be falling at 9.8 m/s. i dont think so about number 2 but i dont know anything about that...

im having twins btw!!

glo
08-26-2006, 08:00 PM

Do you mean would both sets of twins be identical to each other (i.e 4 people of identical genetic make-up), or do you mean would both sets of twin be identical twins (i.e 2 sets of twins with identical genetic make-up)??

Either way the answer would be no.
Each parental twin carries an enourmous amount of genetical information within their sex genes, so the resulting babies would have a huge pool of genetical material to be made from.
Same goes for the likelyhood of having identical twins.
I do believe twins run in families, so is likely to be some genetic cause, but not enough to guarantee having twins.
I am not sure whether identical twins are genetic though. I understood that identical twins come into being when the cells in the very early fetal development split apart completely. As far as understand that split can be caused by external factors, but there may be genetic factors too.

I'm not an expert in genetics though ... :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM

I've got two questions.

my mind boggled on the last few lines rofl.

amirah_87
08-26-2006, 08:56 PM
As salaamu alyakum,

This one is really interesting... Allah knows if he'll survive but..
I think that the chances of hime surviving would be like "7/10" cause when stuff fall they tend to deform right...so the elevator would get compressed like when you squeeze a coke can.. it also would probably depend on what floor the free-fall occured from!!??

glo
08-26-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As salaamu alyakum,
This one is really interesting... Allah knows if he'll survive but..
I think that the chances of hime surviving would be like "7/10" cause when stuff fall they tend to deform right...so the elevator would get compressed like when you squeeze a coke can.. it also would probably depend on what floor the free-fall occured from!!??
Doesn't it depend on
a) at what speed the elevator is falling, and
b) at what speed you are able to jump upwards?

If the elevator is falling at, say, 100 mph; and you jump up at 5 mph, are you not still falling at 95 mph? Won't make much difference, I reckon ... you've had it!! :uuh:

And if you were able to jump at the same speed as the elevator falls, and thereby cancel out the speed of the fall ... would you not crack your head on the elevator ceiling as it comes down???

Right, that's enough scientific reasoning for one evening! :? :giggling:

peace.

M2A^AKIB^
08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
those are some bizzare questions!!!:?
why would u want to know anyway?^o) i don't think any one will try these stuff.:heated: or has done it before.
Marrying ur identical twin?impossible!!!:uuh:

amirah_87
08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

Doesn't it depend on
a) at what speed the elevator is falling, and
b) at what speed you are able to jump upwards?

If the elevator is falling at, say, 100 mph; and you jump up at 5 mph, are you not still falling at 95 mph? Won't make much difference, I reckon ... you've had it!!
Lol!!... Yeah at what speed the elevator is falling..and from what distance it's falling aswell right.... cause if it's pretty far..like you said...I guess you've had it! :offended:

And if you were able to jump at the same speed as the elevator falls, and thereby cancel out the speed of the fall ... would you not crack your head on the elevator ceiling as it comes down???
You know what Glo that's exactly what i'd been thinkin aswell... you might just hit you head on the ceiling...:? :heated:

glo
08-26-2006, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ya Mustafa
Marrying ur identical twin?impossible!!!:uuh:
LOL
I don't think the idea was to marry your own identical twin!
The idea was for one man (who is one of a set of twins) to marry a woman (who is one of a different set of twins)

umm-sulaim
08-31-2006, 09:49 PM
The first ones intresting, i think cos the pull of gravity is so great, i doubt he could jump depending if it was falling real fast...

As for the second, then i guess it could be possible, but only Allah knows...

wassalaam

wilberhum
08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Glo is spot on with:
“If the elevator is falling at, say, 100 mph; and you jump up at 5 mph, are you not still falling at 95 mph”.
As for #2. The chance of being genetically identical would be the same as the chance of fraternal twins being Identical. I think that is one chance in 2^32.

syilla
09-01-2006, 01:13 AM

lol...i'm not sure you should ask the LI forumners though :rolleyes:

maybe you can check at the sciences forum...or maybe you can ask Fishman...

Fishman...where are you?

S_87
09-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I've got two questions.

1- i dont know. but yes u would defo get hurt

2- wouldnt it depend on whether the twins were conceived with one egg or not :?

seeker_of_ilm
09-01-2006, 02:12 PM

I've got two questions.

Found these answers through internet.

1. Even if you could perfectly time such a leap, it wouldn't help. Let's say you and the elevator are falling at 100 MPH. When you jump up in the elevator, you would still be going about 100MPH. You would hit the ground at 100MPH, just like the elevator. That's gonna hurt!
Your best bet would be to lie flat on the floor. This would stabilize you and spread out the force of the impact - so that no single part of your body would take the brunt of the blow. But, it's still gonna hurt!

2. I'm sure that the kids would look alike, but it would be the same as if one couple had 2 children (different in age) they look different, even though the genes are from the same parents.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.